Menu

Could dd have done anything better in this situation? JAWM

Tiramisu

Hmm, I think if they could walk there they could walk back, unless someone got injured.  One would hope that in case of an injury, at least one person in the group of "friends" would be decent enough to seek help.  If not, one could always holler, assuming they are not in some remote place out of earshot of all other humans.  The chances of safety coming down to phone ownership in this scenario seem very slim.

Not that I have anything against phones, I just don't think a local walkable outing requires one.

I am not sure it's always best to come running to a teen's rescue because her friends are being idiots.  In this case, it would have taken away a valuable opportunity for OP's daughter (and her friends) to discover her own strength.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I plan on getting my kids cheap phones when they are about 10yo, because they will be in school sports and will be at least 5 miles away if something comes up.  It is a convenience issue and not a safety issue.  I just don't agree with the general concensus here that it is unacceptable for a 13yo to be on a local walking outing with friends without a phone.

There's a dynamic I've noticed in TV/movies/media which may be pushing this situation - the idea that friends must, must, must stick together regardless of threat or misbehavior.  There's no out when a friend does the wrong thing, starts a fight, robs a bank.  It is the primary value in Fast and Furious, for example.

I'm not raising my kid to be a gang member, and I don't really go for that value, but I do recognize it in society.  I wonder if that mom is coming from that perspective.  Or perhaps she's just bananas (that seems likely, too). 

I totally JAWY that your dd did the right thing.

• Like 2

I had a somewhat similar situation when I was 13. I was at a friends house, no parents home. We were outside of the house hanging out with some neighborhood friends. My friend got pissed off and went inside and locked the door. Fine for everyone else since theycould walk home. My house was a 30 minute drive away and this was before anyone had cell phones. It was getting cold and rainy and she wouldn't unlock the door so I walked with a male friend to his house and hung out there until I thought my friend's parents were home and then we walked back to her house.

Her mom was pissed off at me for leaving, my mom was happy I had a safe place to go and was upset my friend would lock me out of the house. We all got over it and remained friends though.

The fact that the daughter could have solved the situation by using her phone to call her mom is why I am not crazy about phones for teens.  I really dislike the way I saw my sister's friends or my cousins and other kids around use their phones as a crutch - there is never any real necessity to solve a problem or manage on their own.  Get on the bus going the wrong way and can't figure out how to get home - call mom.  You arrive at a place and there is no one there - call mom.  You get a flat tire, call mom.  At the least, someone will tell you what you need to do to solve the situation, and the responsibility if off your shoulders.

I am sure people can give me lots of examples of times it turned out to be really useful.  But I think it ends up removing important experiences as well.

There's a dynamic I've noticed in TV/movies/media which may be pushing this situation - the idea that friends must, must, must stick together regardless of threat or misbehavior.  There's no out when a friend does the wrong thing, starts a fight, robs a bank.  It is the primary value in Fast and Furious, for example.

I'm not raising my kid to be a gang member, and I don't really go for that value, but I do recognize it in society.  I wonder if that mom is coming from that perspective.  Or perhaps she's just bananas (that seems likely, too). 

I totally JAWY that your dd did the right thing.

Right, sometimes you need to turn around and walk away.  That's what I was taught as a kid.  Do they not teach this any more?

That said, I assume the bf's mom laid out a list of rules and "stick together" was one of them.  Safety in numbers and all that.  Which her kid disobeyed by not going to granny's house when OP's dd was too cold to stay out any longer.  "Stick together" should imply "look out for each other" IMO.

I have two kids around 9yo, and I definitely feel safer sending them out if I say "stick together" and can trust them to do so.  At 13yo, that's a whole different dynamic, especially at a time when there are lots of folks outdoors in the community.

At any rate, sometimes you have to use your brain and solve a problem your parents didn't contemplate when they sent you out.  Sometimes you have to decide between two rules / guidelines / consequences.  That's part of growing up.  Crazy screamy mom needs to learn that.

• Like 2

The average teen does not want to get mom involved.  It would need to involve an actual emergency to get my kid to call.  Most kids this age WANT to build independence and will try not to get a parent involved unless their is anxiety involved or something along those lines.  Since my newly 15 year old has had his since about 13 and a couple months, there have been less than 5 times where he's called that has required my action.

I think the power struggle thing is hard too.  I actually think if NONE of them would have had a phone it would have been better than this 13 year old assuming she could use friend's phone if she needed to. 

My kids primarily have phones for committed activities.  But when every other 13 year old is carrying them around and your kid is at the mercy of some other kid's good graces, that's a hard position to be in.  Almost every girl I've known in the 11-14 range have had bouts of diva and PMS behavoir. 

Hmm, I think if they could walk there they could walk back, unless someone got injured.  One would hope that in case of an injury, at least one person in the group of "friends" would be decent enough to seek help.  If not, one could always holler, assuming they are not in some remote place out of earshot of all other humans.  The chances of safety coming down to phone ownership in this scenario seem very slim.

Not that I have anything against phones, I just don't think a local walkable outing requires one.

I am not sure it's always best to come running to a teen's rescue because her friends are being idiots.  In this case, it would have taken away a valuable opportunity for OP's daughter (and her friends) to discover her own strength.

• Like 5

Agreeing with Wooly Socks.

My teen sons have called....

a tow truck

the bank

a friend

a relative

a boss, to report that they'd be late

the parents of a friend in need (who had no phone)...

and unlimited others, to solve their own problems and to help others, before they ever called me. Usually, they finally arrive home and say, "Ma, XYZ happened and here's what I did."

Cell phones do not keep children from maturing into responsible young adults. Some people have been helped or rescued because my teen sons were nearby with means to call an ambulance or a wrecker.

• Like 10

I would also say, when I was a teen, I always had change for a pay phone on me.  SO many places in the 80's had outdoor, public pay phones.  I consider the cheap cell phone the 2015 alternative because I almost NEVER see pay or public phones available anywhere anymore.  If anything, it has allowed me to give my teen more freedoms.  Put him on a city bus, leave him at public venues, allow him to do theater productions with unvetted adults, etc.  Considering my particular kid, it's actually funny that he would think of the phone as a way for mommy to come save him from every conflict. 

• Like 11

A phone is another tool in the kit and I'd say in the current USA culture, a necessary one for anyone who is out without their parents or other adults in charge.  As the OP shows, people can't expect their friends to help them out when needed.  Kids are advised not to go to strangers if they need help.   And, it does change the dynamic in a group of friends if someone is dependent on others for phone use. 

I don't get why people argue against teens having a common, inexpensive, useful tool that they can carry in their pocket.  No one's talking about smartphones with robust data plans so the kids have access to the internet wherever they go.  (Though I wouldn't argue against that if the teen's parents thought it was necessary.)

• Like 9

I'm not even sure why the mom was upset. Did she think your daughter left her daughter all alone?

I would definitely call her and tell her all you told us, if you haven't (but I'm assuming you have). It does sound, to me, like her dd lied to her, or at least put a spin on the story that emphasized the "she left me!" part.

• Like 3

If that was my kid, I'd reward her for her excellent behavior. Seriously, a kid who can go against the crowd and make her own decisions to take care of herself in a responsible way is the PERFECT kid. Cray-cray mom is just jealous of her clear perfection. ;)

Another vote for a cheap, no data phone. My kids' one only costs us $10 a month and you might even find a better deal than that. Unless you're counting every penny, it's worth it.

• Like 5

I'm not even sure why the mom was upset. Did she think your daughter left her daughter all alone?

I would definitely call her and tell her all you told us, if you haven't (but I'm assuming you have). It does sound, to me, like her dd lied to her, or at least put a spin on the story that emphasized the "she left me!" part.

Sounds like yet another case of Special Snowflake Syndrome. Obviously, the other mom knew her precious little princess was the victim of Tiramisu's evil dd. How dare Tiramisu's dd not want to do everything her dd wanted to do? How dare Tiramisu's dd have a mind of her own???

I can't stand parents like that. And it sounds like her dd has the same charming personality. I think Tiramisu's dd needs to find a new friend.

• Like 4

JAWM

Dd13 went trick or treating in a neighborhood across town with her best friend and several of her bf's other friends from ps. I had a very hectic day seeing to the clothing and food needs of my grandparents who are sick, and I didn't pay attention to the weather, so when dd was picked up by her bf's sister, I didn't realize that the weather was going to be getting colder (about 50 degrees) and she only wore a long sleeve shirt under her thin costume.

The girls seemed to be wandering around different sections of the neighborhood, meeting up with boys, playing basketball, and not doing much of the door to door trick or treating dd expected and is used to. They spent three hours outside and dd was very cold and tired, and wanted to go to her grandmother's house. When they reached her street, dd asked her friend to call her mom because dd does not have a phone. Her friend refused to call because she thought her mom would freak out. (There is a long history of that mom getting wound up).

Dd decided to leave the group when they turned in a different direction on the street. She asked her friend to come with her, and when she wouldn't, she walked about 100 meters to my mom's house. She called me and dh and told us what happpend. I confirmed the other girl was safe in a group of six other friends, and then I went to drive over while dh called the bf's mother so she wouldn't worry. The bf's mother went ballistic on dh when he called to tell her what happened.

Meanwhile, my mom and dd tried to call the bf who wouldn't answer her cell phone. Then they called the phone of another kid in the group to try to reach the bf and the kids hung up on her. Two girls then showed up at my mom's door and proceeded to yell at dd. My mom was shocked at how they were treating dd. Eventually, dd just shut the door and my mom said it was the only thing she could have done.

Now the bf's mom is blaming dd for leaving the group and putting her dd in danger, while I think dd did the right thing by going to her grandmother's house and calling us right away when she was in an uncomfortable situation and couldn't get help any other way. I think we did the right thing by confirming the girl was safe in a group of friends and then calling the bf's mom immediately.

I had to deal with about twenty long texts going back and forth last night with the bf's mom blaming dd for acting irresponsibly and my head is still spinning.

I didn't tell the other mom this, but dd has been having tachycardia. She's seen the pediatrician, had an ekg, and has to see a cardiologist this week. I'm trying to not make too much of it, and she is definitely safe to walk around. But I think the situation of running around out in the cold for so long took a lot out of her. I'm relieved that in such a situation that she would go for help. With all this in mind, I'm really irked at how the other mom is acting.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and get this out of my system.

Your dd did right. The bf was irresponsible to not ring.

(When I was abandoned by my friend back in 9th grade, I had a dime and access to a working payphone.  We were not allowed to go out without phone money --> today's equivalent is a phone.)

This.....  We did without a cell phone because we had phone money to call on the pay phone that was usually within throwing distance.  Now you can't even find a pay phone in my area.  They are simply gone.   Get a basic phone.  We have a dumb phone just for anyone who might be out for any reason without us.  We don't even rely on other adults they might be with.   One never knows if someone will decide your child's reason to call you the parents is  a good enough reason to call.   Otherwise, your daughter did fine.

• Like 4

I have a feeling that if she didn't notify the other mom, that would have made the other mom go ballistic as well, because her dd probably would have told her about how Tiramisu's dd "abandoned" her.

Crazy mother, crazy daughter. In the long run, it is probably good that this happened, so Tiramisu's dd will know that she can't trust that girl. Thankfully, they were in a safe neighborhood when this happened, but what if they had been someplace dangerous or if Tiramisu's dd was feeling threatened by someone? It seems pretty clear that her "friend" has shown herself to be someone she can't count on to stand up for her or even stick with her.

there's a "name" for that.   a catch-22.

and I agree - the 'friend' has demonstrated she is NO friend, and it's time to move on.

• Like 1

A phone is another tool in the kit and I'd say in the current USA culture, a necessary one for anyone who is out without their parents or other adults in charge.  As the OP shows, people can't expect their friends to help them out when needed.  Kids are advised not to go to strangers if they need help.   And, it does change the dynamic in a group of friends if someone is dependent on others for phone use. 

I don't get why people argue against teens having a common, inexpensive, useful tool that they can carry in their pocket.  No one's talking about smartphones with robust data plans so the kids have access to the internet wherever they go.  (Though I wouldn't argue against that if the teen's parents thought it was necessary.)

I didn't do cell phones for my olders  until they were in college. (part money, part that was 15 years ago.).  now, I rue the day I will *need* to get dudeling a phone.  I know it will eventually come when he will be places on his own, and need to be able to "phone home" if needed.

and it will be some ting-type plan that is inexepensive.

Your DD acted fine.  They can get over themselves for being Asshats.

JAWM

Dd13 went trick or treating in a neighborhood across town with her best friend and several of her bf's other friends from ps. I had a very hectic day seeing to the clothing and food needs of my grandparents who are sick, and I didn't pay attention to the weather, so when dd was picked up by her bf's sister, I didn't realize that the weather was going to be getting colder (about 50 degrees) and she only wore a long sleeve shirt under her thin costume.

The girls seemed to be wandering around different sections of the neighborhood, meeting up with boys, playing basketball, and not doing much of the door to door trick or treating dd expected and is used to. They spent three hours outside and dd was very cold and tired, and wanted to go to her grandmother's house. When they reached her street, dd asked her friend to call her mom because dd does not have a phone. Her friend refused to call because she thought her mom would freak out. (There is a long history of that mom getting wound up). 

Dd decided to leave the group when they turned in a different direction on the street. She asked her friend to come with her, and when she wouldn't, she walked about 100 meters to my mom's house. She called me and dh and told us what happpend. I confirmed the other girl was safe in a group of six other friends, and then I went to drive over while dh called the bf's mother so she wouldn't worry. The bf's mother went ballistic on dh when he called to tell her what happened. 

Meanwhile, my mom and dd tried to call the bf who wouldn't answer her cell phone. Then they called the phone of another kid in the group to try to reach the bf and the kids hung up on her. Two girls then showed up at my mom's door and proceeded to yell at dd. My mom was shocked at how they were treating dd. Eventually, dd just shut the door and my mom said it was the only thing she could have done.

Now the bf's mom is blaming dd for leaving the group and putting her dd in danger, while I think dd did the right thing by going to her grandmother's house and calling us right away when she was in an uncomfortable situation and couldn't get help any other way. I think we did the right thing by confirming the girl was safe in a group of friends and then calling the bf's mom immediately.

I had to deal with about twenty long texts going back and forth last night with the bf's mom blaming dd for acting irresponsibly and my head is still spinning. 

I didn't tell the other mom this, but dd has been having tachycardia. She's seen the pediatrician, had an ekg, and has to see a cardiologist this week. I'm trying to not make too much of it, and she is definitely safe to walk around. But I think the situation of running around out in the cold for so long took a lot out of her. I'm relieved that in such a situation that she would go for help.  With all this in mind, I'm really irked at how the other mom is acting.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and get this out of my system.

• Like 1

Thank you again for all this support. I really have appreciated reading all the responses when I got home tonight. And thanks for the suggestions about the phone.

Dh always found cell phones invasive. He just broke down and got a cheapy phone on a cheapy plan this summer after getting separated from friends on a multi-car road trip and finally having it hit home how a cell phone can really come in handy. My mom put me on her plan years ago when I was pregnant because she was worried about me, and I still have an old dumb phone. My oldest didn't get one until college, and the younger girls generally haven't been in situations where they were necessary. The teens get by with ipods with texting apps and that's usually been enough...but not always. So, yes, it might be time.

My concern with dd getting a cell phone would be the data usage. I think she would be very disappointed not get a high tech phone with a data plan, but I don't think I'm ready to open that can of worms, nor could we afford it. An inexpensive cell with a talk and text plan will have to suffice.

Though it is true that a phone probably would not have helped in the Halloween incident. I would have still gone to get her if she needed me, and her bf's mom would still not understand dd leaving the group. 

• Like 1

Thank you again for all this support. I really have appreciated reading all the responses when I got home tonight. And thanks for the suggestions about the phone.

Dh always found cell phones invasive. He just broke down and got a cheapy phone on a cheapy plan this summer after getting separated from friends on a multi-car road trip and finally having it hit home how a cell phone can really come in handy. My mom put me on her plan years ago when I was pregnant because she was worried about me, and I still have an old dumb phone. My oldest didn't get one until college, and the younger girls generally haven't been in situations where they were necessary. The teens get by with ipods with texting apps and that's usually been enough...but not always. So, yes, it might be time.

My concern with dd getting a cell phone would be the data usage. I think she would be very disappointed not get a high tech phone with a data plan, but I don't think I'm ready to open that can of worms, nor could we afford it. An inexpensive cell with a talk and text plan will have to suffice.

Though it is true that a phone probably would not have helped in the Halloween incident. I would have still gone to get her if she needed me, and her bf's mom would still not understand dd leaving the group.

The only thing that matters at all about the Halloween incident was your dd's safety.

It doesn't matter a bit to me that the other mom got upset. Who cares what she thinks? The fact is that her dd behaved like an immature, spoiled idiot, and your dd could have been in real trouble if her grandmother's house wasn't nearby.

If I were you, I would be absolutely livid at the so-called "best friend," and I would have had some very choice words for her mother, as well.

• Like 3

you can also get a slightly older smart phone- but only pay for talk and text, same as for a dumb phone.  smart phone works on wi-fi where available.   (and alot of places have it.)

ting has a plan that is very low-cost, (it's month to month) and you can also do data.  my boys have a 'family plan' they share.

• Like 3

We have Republic Wireless phones for our kids.  $10 a month for each unlimited texting and data.  We had to buy the phones up front, but the cheapest phone is $129.  They are smart phones, but they only have data on the "wireless".  We upgraded last year our dumb phones to these too.  We pay less per month for 4 semi-smart phones with unlimited voice and text than we did for 2 dumb phones with voice only.  I am not a paid employee of Republic Wireless.  ;)  It depends on your local carrier options and how much wireless you will have access to know if Republic is a good fit for you. 

• Like 1

My son has an ipod that he uses for texting and data when he's connected to wifi. The phone is strictly for calling or texting DH and me. He has been very good about not abusing it thus far.

We have Republic Wireless phones for our kids.  $10 a month for each unlimited texting and data.  We had to buy the phones up front, but the cheapest phone is $129.  They are smart phones, but they only have data on the "wireless".  We upgraded last year our dumb phones to these too.  We pay less per month for 4 semi-smart phones with unlimited voice and text than we did for 2 dumb phones with voice only.  I am not a paid employee of Republic Wireless.  ;)  It depends on your local carrier options and how much wireless you will have access to know if Republic is a good fit for you. 

How do I know if we get coverage where we live with Republic Wireless?

I have Verizon through my mom's plan, which supposedly offers the best coverage, but it's very spotty in certain neighborhoods.

Dh had the only smart phone in the family until 6 months ago when he was able to find a plan and phones cheaper than our old plan. We bought the phones outright. He found plans where the costs of the phone is built into the plan too expensive.

Dd had a dumb phone for 7 years (ages 10-17). She was involved in many activities and never stuck dependent on adding another person to use a phone. There are no pay phones anywhere, anymore. I don't want my dc to have to depend on anyone else to solve a problem.

I will say I am glad we put off smart phones and data plans so long. My older dc (17 and 20) never developed some of the annoying can't-function-without-the-cell-phone-surgically-attached-to-hand behavior we have seen in in friends and peers.

Did you have the phrase "mad money" as a teen. When I was a teen you had to have "mad money" when you went out. "Mad money" was coins for the pay phone and enough cash for a cab. So, you could leave your date in case you were mad, bu it applied to any situation you needed to leave. Today, coins for a pay phone would be useless. So, today's equivalent would be a cheap phone and cash for a cab or uber.

I have Verizon through my mom's plan, which supposedly offers the best coverage, but it's very spotty in certain neighborhoods.

The back up is Sprint's network so you'd want good access to sprint. It also helps to have a good wireless access at home at least. My republic wireless is probably accessing wireless 90% of the time. So I think it might depend where you live if a Republic plan would work well for you. It has worked great for us for going on 2 years this December.

Your daughter was right and if she's growing out of that particular friendship, I don't think that's a bad thing. You always go home with the one who wants to go home first. That's the group rule. They had no right to yell and I'm sorry that happened to your daughter.

• Like 1

Your daughter was right and if she's growing out of that particular friendship, I don't think that's a bad thing. You always go home with the one who wants to go home first. That's the group rule. They had no right to yell and I'm sorry that happened to your daughter.

Like scuba diving. When your buddy is out of air, you surface, no question, no being mad (says the small person who ALWAYS uses less air than her dive pals). It's just the way it's done, the buddy rule.

• Like 3

Just go talk to an actual representative at the Verizon store. We have AT&T, but when we went to ask, we also got $10 a month (talk and text, no data - cost covers more minutes and texts than we've ever come close to for their phone) and didn't have to pay up front at all. We did have to agree to a 2 year contract to get the phone because we didn't have an extra, but seeing as I knew we wouldn't even want to consider upgrading their phone for more than that, that was a easy agreement for us. And I'm pretty sure we could have brought in our own old phone to use and not done that deal. I don't know what you can get from Verizon, but go talk to them in person in the store.