Menu

Can this soup be saved?

lewber

I'm so sad! Left lasagna soup out all night last night. it's made with Italian sausage, tomatoes, beef broth, spices. It tastes ok this morning. Can I re-boil it and refrigerate and eat? Or is it too late? Turned the heat off around 9:00 last night- so 12 hours ago.

Thanks!!

I would simply eat it. There, I said it.

Just a few days ago, I had made lasagna sauce in the evening, and we forgot to put it into the fridge, so it sat and cooled overnight.

When growing up, we frequently had food out at room temperature for extended periods. Nobody ever got sick.

I have found big cultural differences in worries about food safety; we are way more relaxed back home than seems to be the norm here in the US. Which may have to do with the average size of fridge back home - I would not have been able to fit a pot of soup into the fridge in my German apartment.

• Like 11

Just a few days ago, I had made lasagna sauce in the evening, and we forgot to put it into the fridge, so it sat and cooled overnight.

When growing up, we frequently had food out at room temperature for extended periods. Nobody ever got sick.

I have found big cultural differences in worries about food safety; we are way more relaxed back home than seems to be the norm here in the US. Which may have to do with the average size of fridge back home - I would not have been able to fit a pot of soup into the fridge in my German apartment.

Yep. My German mother left food out all the time. I never thought about and we were never sick. I remember the first time DH noticed a pot of chicken soup or something my folks had sitting in the garage--he was so horrified! Lol. He grew up with a hyperparanoid mother, though; I don't think she even keeps leftovers. I leave stuff out regularly and it doesn't bother us.

• Like 2

Being mindful of how rapidly bacteria grows at room temperature and the toxins they produce isn't a cultural worry. It's a fact. I am not a poster who votes to toss it on every "should I eat this?" thread. I also don't stick to the refrigerate within two hours guideline that strictly, But food left out overnight? No way.
  • Like 5

I'm good with eating food that is several days old or well past expiration dates, but I would throw out the soup.

This is based on my personal experience of being fed meat casserole that had been left out overnight--and was then turned into something like an omelet.  Only afterwards did the cook tell me it had been left out. I never want to be that sick again.

:ack2: :ack2:

• Like 4

Things like salmonella were not an issue years ago. It was very rare compared to now. Partly due to factory farming. We can't go by what we did years ago. 

OP, is a pot of soup worth the risk of ending up in the ER with a bad case of food poisoning?

• Like 4

Things like salmonella were not an issue years ago. It was very rare compared to now. Partly due to factory farming. We can't go by what we did years ago.

OP, is a pot of soup worth the risk of ending up in the ER with a bad case of food poisoning?

True, but it's still common practice in much of the world to leave out eggs, cheese, meats etc. It isn't just "years ago". And it isn't that Europeans get sick more frequently than Americans by doing so.

Is Italian sausage heavily processed? I'm vegetarian so I honestly don't know, but it seems like it would be loaded with salt and then cured. Both those things would help preserve it, right?

Both arguments make sense, really, depending on our individual experiences. Also, if the OP's house is 80 degrees, that might understandably influence her decision. My house is usually in the 50s overnight so not being concerned makes sense.

• Like 1

Is Italian sausage heavily processed? I'm vegetarian so I honestly don't know, but it seems like it would be loaded with salt and then cured. Both those things would help preserve it, right?

Italian sausage, around here, is usually not a cured sausage. It's ground pork in a casing, made fresh just before you buy it.

OP, if you want to eat your soup, do as you like, but don't serve it to any unsuspecting victims, and certainly not your kids, your grandma, or anybody with a weak immune system. (And don't blame us if it all goes wrong!)

• Like 1

Sorry you're having to throw out your soup. It would make me sick to do so, too.

Would you mind sharing the recipe? I'm always looking to expand my soup repertoire.

1 pound ground beef (sirloin or chuck)

1 large onion; chopped

5 cloves garlic; minced

4 cups beef broth

15 oz. can crushed tomatoes

15 oz. can diced tomatoes

1 can CampbellÂs tomato soup

1 teaspoon dried basil

4 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 1/4 cup mafalda pasta (mini lasagna noodles)

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Brown ground beef in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and continue to cook until onions are tender, stir in garlic and sauté for another minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, soup and basil; bring to a simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Meanwhile cook pasta until al dente, drain and toss with olive oil. Add spinach and pasta to the soup and simmer uncovered until spinach wilts, 1 or 2 minutes. Taste soup and season with salt and pepper.

To serve, place 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese in the bottom of bowl and ladle hot soup on top to melt cheese. Garnish top with parmesan cheese and serve immediately. Serves 4 generously.

This is how I make it, except I use sweet Italian sausage in place of sirloin and 2+ teaspoons of Italian seasoning instead of the basil. It serves closer to 8 instead of 4. 

• Like 5

I'm going to throw it out. DH has had food poisoning before and you're right. It's not worth it. He was miserable!! We had several bowls last night for dinner so it wasn't an entire waste.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm sorry you had to throw it out, but I think you did the right thing. I got terrible food poisoning from soup once, so I don't take any chances. Reheating definitely does not kill all of the toxins.

I am surprised at the people who would have eaten it rather than wasting it. In my mind, it's not worth saving a few dollars worth of soup if there is a possibility that it will make my family sick. It was left out for so many hours beyond what is considered safe.

• Like 2

True, but it's still common practice in much of the world to leave out eggs, cheese, meats etc. It isn't just "years ago". And it isn't that Europeans get sick more frequently than Americans by doing so.

Both arguments make sense, really, depending on our individual experiences. Also, if the OP's house is 80 degrees, that might understandably influence her decision. My house is usually in the 50s overnight so not being concerned makes sense.

Leaving food out overnight at a 50 degree temperature isn't safe at all, either.

I have been in bed or the bathroom all. Day. Long. With food poisoning. It's miserable. Really. Don't risk it.

Oh, and the salmonella question - or anything - once the bacteria's grown, even reheating it high enough to kill it, one can still get sick from the toxins produced by the bacteria as it dies. Similar loosely to a Jarrisch-Herxheimer reaction, in that it's the dead bacteria and their leavings that can make one sick.

I don't have much immune system. I've had five strains of chronic salmonella over the years. Chronic salmonella is hard to eradicate, and after the initial bout of food poisoning type illness, one Is left with joint pain and muscle pain. Not fun.

• Like 5

I have been in bed or the bathroom all. Day. Long. With food poisoning. It's miserable. Really. Don't risk it.

Oh, and the salmonella question - or anything - once the bacteria's grown, even reheating it high enough to kill it, one can still get sick from the toxins produced by the bacteria as it dies. Similar loosely to a Jarrisch-Herxheimer reaction, in that it's the dead bacteria and their leavings that can make one sick.

I don't have much immune system. I've had five strains of chronic salmonella over the years. Chronic salmonella is hard to eradicate, and after the initial bout of food poisoning type illness, one Is left with joint pain and muscle pain. Not fun.

I'm so sorry you're sick!!! :(

I wouldn't wish food poisoning on my worst enemy. It is truly horrible.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

• Like 1

The bacteria may be, but its waste products aren't.

But the soup was initially COOKED.

If there were waste products of salmonella in the cooked soup, you could not eat it ever.

If anything, the concern would be other bacteria - but not salmonella. The cooked soup in the pot is not cultured by salmonella in the kitchen.

ETA Interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/bending-the-rules-on-bacteria-and-food-safety.html?ref=dining

What about my lazy method of letting stock cool overnight, then reboiling and refrigerating it first thing in the morning? Dr. Snyder gave it a pass because it would spend only a few hours below 135 degrees, not enough time for the bacterial spores to germinate, start growing and reach hazardous numbers.

• Like 1

If it was chicken, no. If you live in a hot area, no

But if you have a relatively cool house, and it was made with a cured/processed meat, and hopefully the lid was on it, I'd eat it. 

We aren't so paranoid about food safety here. I regularly leave meat on the counter overnight or during the day to defrost. Food is routinely left out 4 or so hours before we pack leftovers into the fridge. We have been known to leave lunch, like veg and refrigerated dip and roast chicken, on the table after lunch to pick at through the afternoon or eat for dinner, and my grandparents are much less careful than I am!

• Like 2