Menu

End of October - what curric. have you changed already?

alisoncooks

:eek:

Song School Latin 2 4c5c924b-d5a9-41b5-b44f-c21e4a572754.gif Prima Latina

Reading Lessons Through Literature 4c5c924b-d5a9-41b5-b44f-c21e4a572754.gif Spell to Write and Read

Hake Grammar 4c5c924b-d5a9-41b5-b44f-c21e4a572754.gif Easy Grammar

Story of the World 4c5c924b-d5a9-41b5-b44f-c21e4a572754.gif Veritas Press Self Paced Old Testament & Ancient Egypt

Essentials in Writing 4c5c924b-d5a9-41b5-b44f-c21e4a572754.gif Writing Strands

:blushing:  Is there anything else?  And I thought I had it all together this year!  Oh well, we are happy now.

We STAYED with our Math for 3 years now!  CLE until 4th grade, then Saxon.

Pam

• Like 2

I haven't changed anything for my 3rd and 6th grader. I changed half of what I had planned for my 8th grader; we had a bit of a rough start for her.

Analytical Grammar --> Grammar Revolution (AG was overkill)

Novare Physical Science --> homemade natural history course (she was beginning to hate science, her favorite subject)

Lone Pine Latin --> back to the Forms series (class required more time than she had to devote to the subject)

MP Story of Christianity --> nothing right now (pre-ordered the student book back in March, STILL haven't received it)

R&S Spelling 8 --> dropped spelling completely, she is a fine speller

• Like 1

Sadly, i finally had to admit that my 2nd grade dd and I are not enjoying Trail Guide Paths of Exploration at all. For 2 months I've tried to make it work but it just isn't. We are going to continue reading some of the books I think, but she actually wants to do a social studies workbook type curriculum for awhile! (Gasp!!!) So I ordered something yesterday and hope it works, alongside reading good books.

Not a lot of switching, just some tweaking.

Dropped spelling for my 5th grader and switched to dictation only.

Added WWS (for 7th) since I was trying to do TWTM writing for middle grades on my own by piecing together too many things.

That might be it!  That's pretty good for me.

• Like 1

Let me think.....

dd1- all is the same as I planned, I think!

dd2- she went through all of MiFK before we even officially started the year- I rolled her to MiF1 but she wasn't ready for that and considering again I didn't want to do Horizons K like I had thought, so she is using various things- Miquon- free Gattegno and MEP but I'm just printing bits at a time that way we can change our mind if we want.

ds-

writing- we've switched a few times and I think we are finally settled, some CM/BW inspired across the curriculum writing and Partnership Writing Activites;

Math-I had planned to go ahead and stick with BA but the publication schedule has drug out too far and he is ready to move on so we went with JA after he finished BA4D

History-I had planned to use Mills all the way through for our history spine but after he finished the Egypt book I decided to switch- I hadn't bought the Greek book though so no big deal

vocab- I had thought we would get to Caesar's English this year but we haven't fit it in yet- as it is I like the flow to our days and I thought it woudl be good to wait

We haven't changed out anything this year, and it doesn't look like we will. Other than the fact that I had the flu all of last week, and a sinus infection for all of this week, everything is going so well.

The only dissatisfaction I have is with Latin, not for any particular reason. I don't think it's Latina Christiana or First Form, but it could be (so dry). Then again, I might feel rather blah about the subject, no matter what the course. I'm not enthusiastic about it. So we are plodding.

• Like 2

So, I should not have read this thread. Someone posted about task cards, and I just had to check that out. I ended up buying the ones for Earth and Space Science and I plan on buying the Medieval ones in a few weeks when we start SOTW2.

Are these the task cards?https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Earth-Moon-Sun-Space-Task-Cards-36-Science-Cards-In-All-646871

S, T, and D are all as planned. I think this is the first year with no major shifts. 

M has been the big change. T and D were not school-ready at all for Kindergarten. M didn't seem ready either, so I figured we should just colour, cut and paste, and call it a year. Anyway, she's totally school-ready and eager to learn, so she's starting Bear Necessities A and just flying (she's done in 2 weeks what the others did in a year or more). Her printing is coming, her numbers are fab, so we'll start some math soon. Anyway, live and learn. I'm still keeping it light and fun, but much more academic than I planned.

No.  The ones from Creek Edge Press!  They are exactly what I was trying to do on my own without much success (not enough time to plan with 3 littles underfoot).  We are using them a bit different.  DD picks which card she wants to do, and we do it.  We are adding notebooking pages from Considering God's Creation when we have them, but the task cards are great alone, too!!  

http://shop.creekedgepress.com/Science-and-Grammar-Task-Cards_c16.htm

• Like 1

dd9 (as of yesterday!)

RightStartE -> Beast Academy -> MEP (which I never thought I'd use but I figured it was time to give it a try; she is thriving and learning so much - now she even does Beast on her own sometimes vs hating it before)

Added Sequential Spelling back in (good for this "I can see my own patterns, thank you very much" girl)

dd7

Added Apples and Pears Spelling (focusing on the L to R tracking)

Violin

ds10

working super hard but nothing new

Emily

• 11 months later...

We started the year with HOD preparing for my 5th grader.  I needed something pre-scheduled.  UGH.  I've dropped everything except the history, and I just decided to cut out Grandpa's Box.  Considering switching to SOTW.

After cutting HOD subjects, added in...

Root Words

Spectrum Vocab

IEW's Fix It

Geography workbook

Rod and Staff Spelling

Elemental Biology

My DS loves workbooks, and I just need to embrace that.

I attempted doing a writer's workshop a la Lucy Calkins et al, and just felt lost. I had no clue what to teach or what topic I should be focusing on - I hate flying by the seat of my pants. So I ordered WriteShop C. So far, it seems to be working, but we haven't finished the first Lesson yet. Some of the subdivisions of the lesson seem a bit long for DD, so it is taking us a little longer to complete.

Somebody posted something about MEP and I am giving that a go as a supplement to MUS.

I've stepped back in time. I saw I posted something in this thread and didn't remember posting on this topic, that's because it was last year.  :zombie:

:laugh:  Me, too!  That's okay, though. :)

So far this year we've dropped Mr. Q's Life Science.  It was getting done, but it wasn't enjoyable or discovery based (Mystery Science spoiled us last year!)  Instead, we're doing a study this year with Jack's Insects (a story-style science book) and activities to go with, and heading off down various other trails at least once a week on topics of his choice.

Switched from HOD's Bigger Hearts and LHFHG for my youngest two to Science in the Beginning and SOTW Ancients.

Switched from Spelling Workout and R&S Spelling for my youngest two to All About Spelling (I think - LOL!)  I was really hoping to make spelling more independent for them but we're using AAR so it seems silly to not use AAS.  We'll see how it goes.

Everything else is has remained the same though I've tweaked a few of the other HOD boxes among the older kids  to make our days run smoothly.

(oops!  Didn't realize this was an old thread!)

Edited by JanOH

Haven't changed a lot, but have adapted.

I ordered Dyslexia Games spelling workbook (top 150 misspelled words) for dd12. After using it for the first month, I decided she really needed remediation with simpler more basic words, so I put that book up for later and ordered their younger book for ages 10 and up. It has different activities that I like that the other didn't, and has fewer words on a list and they are easier. We have started some learning therapies for her, so this easier book paired with her learning exercises from her tutor are a better fit. The other will come later.

And I planned on Classical House of Learning Literature for her reading this year. We did it as laid out the first month. That book was an easy read for her. But the next book has too small of print and was much tougher going for her. So we have already slowed down the reading. I am reading it aloud along with her other read alouds. I still haven't replaced her personal reading yet. We are leaning towards Whyspersync and audible. com books together for Immersion reading, but haven't gotten the kinks worked out yet. So for now she is doing short readings when I can get some in. Today she read from What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know and from the Golden Children's Bible and did a picture narration of each.  I want to get back to novels for her, so hopefully we will get her Kindle kinks worked out soon.

I had to double check my signature to remember what we switched! ;-)

DS11

Switched from Life of Fred: Decimals to Teaching Textbooks 6. He needed to strengthen his long division and multiplication skills before continuing with Life of Fred, and he may wind up doing both

Dropped Grammar Revolution as WordSmith Apprentice had as much grammar as he could stomach at a time in it already

Instead of doing Apologia Botany as a family, he is doing it on his own. The other kids aren't ready for it

DS8

Dropped Sonlight B and are doing Story of the World 2 instead. He didn't mind it, but I hate reading from Usbourne history spines and it seemed like that was what they mostly used

Will finish All About Reading 2 around Christmas and start #3

He's hit a wall in All About Spelling, so will supplement until he's ready to go back (not sure with what yet)

DD5

Nothing, she's the easy one! :-) We will need a new handwriting book soon, or go on to copywork as she's almost done with her first one.

For me, this is a really good list. I guess after 7 years I'm learning to be more realistic! :-)

Edited by MamaTX5