Menu

Is Ean, Ian?

Moxie

I know of a family in which the kids all have E names. The newest is Ean. Is Ean a real name or a creative spelling for Ian?

My husband's name is Ean. It's the Welsh spelling according to one of those name plaque things he has. They were not into creative names...his brother is Gavin. 

• Like 3

The thing about Celtic is that (a) they have different alphabets, so all English Celtic names are transliterations and therefore vary, and (b) there is more than one Celtic language, so again, there's variation.

I usually assume that parents are aware that many English names are transliterations from languages such as Hebrew, Celtic languages, Russian, Hindi, Persian, Greek, etc. and therefore that the spelling is varied and non-standard. I also assume that the parents appreciate the freedom we're given in the US and other English speaking countries to name our own children, even if we don't like what others do. So I believe they have usually thought quite a bit about it and decided on a name with the spelling that works for them.

All the names are beautiful, IMO, because the child makes them so. Even the children that haven't been born yet.

• Like 3

I know an Ean. It's pronounced ee-in like most Ians (I know an Ian pronounced eye-in like Ian Ziering from the original 90210).

I knew a woman whose some was Ian, pronounced eye-in. I actually think she did not know when she named him that that the pronunciation would normally be "EE-in." She would get so annoyed when people would say his name "wrong" by pronouncing it EE-in. P.S. This was a *grown* son. So...I just think that's a lot of annoyance to go through in life just because you chose to zig on your kid's name.

• Like 2

I had a friend with a son named Ean. Her husband was Dan, and it was kind of a tribute. They joked if the next baby was a girl she would be Fan. He has to be 10 now, so this was before it was trending.

Wait, do Ean and Dan rhyme? In my head they don't.

• Like 1

I don't think Ean is a Welsh version of Ian (it doesn't make sense linguistically) though Ian is undoubtedly a Celtic version of John). The Welsh forms are Ioan (yo-an) and Ieuan (yay-an) and Sion (borrowed from the Irish version Sean and pronounced the same). I've never seen Ean. Spellings are so fluid on such ancient names, though, that it wouldn't surprise me to find out it is a Manx version or something like that.

I don't think Ean is a Welsh version of Ian (it doesn't make sense linguistically) though Ian is undoubtedly a Celtic version of John). The Welsh forms are Ioan (yo-an) and Ieuan (yay-an) and Sion (borrowed from the Irish version Sean and pronounced the same). I've never seen Ean. Spellings are so fluid on such ancient names, though, that it wouldn't surprise me to find out it is a Manx version or something like that.

I'm not sure how accurate the plaque is, lol, but I could see Ean being a form of Ieuan. Drop the e and u to get Ian or drop the I and u to get Ean. 

Also, until this thread I didn't realize Ean was a form of John. My ex was John. My husband now is Ean. Weird. 

I have an Ian. I got a lot of strange looks when he was born, lots of, "how do you spell that?" I never thought it was very strange. Pretty much everyone who said that was over 40.

I have a cousin named Ian.  He's 5 or 6 years younger than me so around as long as my memory.  I never thought it strange either.

Their geography is a bit off though: the Isle of Man lies between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.  Eire is further south.  On this map (click on the map of the UK) it's the island to the south east of Belfast.  Unless they mean 'between the island of Ireland and the UK', in which case it should be 'between the island of Ireland and Great Britain.'

I will now shuffle back into my pedantarium.

• Like 1