Menu

I liked Phred, why was he banned?

I realize this thread may get deleted as soon as I post it, but I read Phed's last few posts and even though I usually do not agree with him, I did not see anything particularly inflammatory or vulgar that would cause him to be banned. So what was it so we can all learn from it?

Personally, I enjoyed the spice he added and I thought he had been behaving himself rather well.

So what gives? Really curious so I don't end up banned someday too!

so I would guess that means he is permanently banned.

But how did you all know that happened? Was there some sort of announcement I missed?

Michelle T

No announcement. I was reading a thread and noticed his title had changed from some kind of bee to "Banned". Then I also looked at the member list and could not find him.

Thanks for the link. Maybe he will be back after the election!:D

...I'd bet that it was the 'insulting someone else's religion' that got him banned, if I'm reading the rules correctly.

At least, that was the last thing of his I remember reading that would earn a banning, under the rules.

I don't know that the election ending would change a propensity to do that. (?)

...I'd bet that it was the 'insulting someone else's religion' that got him banned, if I'm reading the rules correctly.

At least, that was the last thing of his I remember reading that would earn a banning, under the rules.

Yep. I'd bet that was it.

He's not banned permanently, he will be back. That is, if he even feels welcome here anymore. People are awfully hard on him.

nakitty, last I heard, was considering not coming back here anymore because she feels targeted and that things are not fair and balanced over here. Sad that its come to that.

ETA::: just read above post....she got banned again?????? She must be pretty upset if she did that to herself.

I'm going to answer this one. Whether or not you guys agree is up to you.

I authorized the ban of Phred. He posted, in response to a Catholic member's post about her religion, "And we wonder why the Crusades happened." This was a continuation of Phred's ongoing unwillingness to treat matters of faith (any matters of faith) with respect, in clear violation of board rules.

In case you're wondering, other reproofs to other posters were also issued in connection w/that thread.

A second poster was banned because she maintained multiple identities, in clear violation of board rules.

A third poster was banned because she begged us in private messages to ban her. We finally complied.

For those who are wondering, we also banned a new member who has said publicly, on her own blog, that she will never post on this site because of her low opinion of us, and yet re-joined us (for some reason) after we launched the new forums.

We have over six thousand members. When we ban someone for more than a week or two, it happens after much discussion, thought, and soul-searching. We have, to my knowledge, banned three posters permanently (excluding automated spammers) and one poster for a year. All four are listed above.

I have personally approved each ban, and stand behind them. I want this to remain a forum where home educating parents and students of different denominations and faiths, or of no faith, will feel comfortable posting their questions about home schooling.

We only ban posters who threaten this purpose. Which is why I'm answering this thread, rather than allowing its deletion.

SWB

I authorized the ban of Phred. He posted, in response to a Catholic member's post about her religion, "And we wonder why the Crusades happened." This was a continuation of Phred's ongoing unwillingness to treat matters of faith (any matters of faith) with respect, in clear violation of board rules.

In case you're wondering, other reproofs to other posters were also issued in connection w/that thread.

A second poster was banned because she maintained multiple identities, in clear violation of board rules.

A third poster was banned because she begged us in private messages to ban her. We finally complied.

For those who are wondering, we also banned a new member who has said publicly, on her own blog, that she will never post on this site because of her low opinion of us, and yet re-joined us (for some reason) after we launched the new forums.

We have over six thousand members. When we ban someone for more than a week or two, it happens after much discussion, thought, and soul-searching. We have, to my knowledge, banned three posters permanently (excluding automated spammers) and one poster for a year. All four are listed above.

I have personally approved each ban, and stand behind them. I want this to remain a forum where home educating parents and students of different denominations and faiths, or of no faith, will feel comfortable posting their questions about home schooling.

We only ban posters who threaten this purpose. Which is why I'm answering this thread, rather than allowing its deletion.

SWB

Thanks for the explanation.

Or it could be unnecessary negative rep given.

SWB

Thanks for the explanation, and for leaving the thread up.

Could you chime in about why the rep was changed?

I does seem though that only certain "types" of posters are banned. There have been some pretty ugly posts by members whose views are on the other end of the spectrum, so to speak, and they are not warned or banned. I hope this trend of silencing only posters with certain views ends soon.

It feels that way from where I'm sitting, I'm afraid.

I does seem though that only certain "types" of posters are banned. There have been some pretty ugly posts by members whose views are on the other end of the spectrum, so to speak, and they are not warned or banned. I hope this trend of silencing only posters with certain views ends soon.

I would be grateful if you would provide links to the posts you object to.

SWB

Dunno if you are open to questions, but is there a "grace period"? Is it one violation, you are out, or are you warned? I can't imagine me personally insulting someone's religion, but you never know how a thing could be taken.

No one has been banned without 1) multiple warnings and 2) short term bans.

Let me repeat.

Over six thousand, two hundred members. Three permanent bans.

No need for you to worry.

SWB

On page three of this thread Susan outlines why he was banned and some others. Reading her post might help :001_smile: clarify why. I know it helped me.

Hey, I was lurking on the thread SWB refers to where the crusades quote was posted. It got very ugly very fast, very unreasonably, IMO. The thread was shut down quickly. I know I'm new here, but from seeing the quote in context, the "punishment" doesn't seem unreasonable. To me it seemed like an unprovoked attack, although it did seem as if there was some underlying history....end of my 2cents.

I would be grateful if you would provide links to the posts you object to.

SWB

I think you already banned her... Rowan? Also the Obama is not different from Osama thread. I know the poster was asked to change her sig line, but if Phred or Nakitty had had that sig line directed towards Palin or someone's faith.. I think it would have been more than a warning that they would have received. It's just a perception, and I may be wrong.

I am so glad Susan provides this board for us and has it moderated so that it doesn't get too ugly. I love having this resource for homeschooling info as well as other non-homeschooling related info.

ETA *I can see why Phred was banned.* Phred said some very profound things. He also said some very nasty things and was in the habit of posting something inflamatory and then letting it stew before responding to anyone's questions. I found that disturbing. I also found that it usually interfered with the natural course of alot of threads.

Again, this is a private board. None of us has a "right" to be here. We are graciously accepted and allowed to express many viewpoints. I find certain viewpoints expressed here to be offensive, but they are rationally stated most of the time. I think if we can just agree to disagree things will get better on the boards. They've really been going downhill fast. I wish we could all respect other's points of view without trying to insert our own. I know I'm guilty of that and I've seen others do that also.

Just my ramblings after a nice board break because I got too pulled into the recent nastiness to be rational! BTW, I wasn't banned, I gave myself a time out.

I think you already banned her... Rowan?

You are correct. She was temporarily banned for repeated disregard of board rules. She is no longer banned.

Also the Obama is not different from Osama thread. I know the poster was asked to change her sig line, but if Phred or Nakitty had had that sig line directed towards Palin or someone's faith.. I think it would have been more than a warning that they would have received. It's just a perception, and I may be wrong.

We did ask one poster whose sig line had a comparison between Obama and Osama to change her sig line. She was not threatened with banning or with any sanction. She agreed at once to change the line because a number of posters had complained, and because she was anxious to maintain peace on the message boards.

To my knowledge, this was a private exchange between the poster and the admins. Apparently I was mistaken.

If a number of other posters emailed us, complaining about a Palin or faith-based signature line that was offensive, we would communicate privately with the owner of the signature line and try to work out a compromise.

Since this has not yet happened (to my knowledge), your scenario remains a hypothetical situation. I'm unwilling to predict what might occur...until it does.

The one exception: we had one SINGLE poster complain about the sig line "Jesus was a community organizer, Pontius Pilate was a governor" because the poster found it offensive to her Christian faith. I personally thought it was a compliment to Jesus and refused to sanction an email to the person who owned the sig line.

Who was, I believe, a person who is now banned. For rudeness, not for religious beliefs.

Rudeness and conviction are not complementary qualities. One day I hope to GET THIS ACROSS to EVERYONE who posts on these boards.

EVERYONE.

SWB

SWB

Thank you so much for this explanation. I really appreciate it both it and the board. :)

You are correct. She was temporarily banned for repeated disregard of board rules. She is no longer banned.

We did ask one poster whose sig line had a comparison between Obama and Osama to change her sig line. She was not threatened with banning or with any sanction. She agreed at once to change the line because a number of posters had complained, and because she was anxious to maintain peace on the message boards.

To my knowledge, this was a private exchange between the poster and the admins.

If a number of other posters emailed us, complaining about a Palin or faith-based signature line that was offensive, we would communicate privately with the owner of the signature line and try to work out a compromise.

Since this has not yet happened (to my knowledge), your scenario remains a hypothetical situation. I'm unwilling to predict what might occur...until it does.

The one exception: we had one SINGLE poster complain about the sig line "Jesus was a community organizer, Pontius Pilate was a governor" because the poster found it offensive to her Christian faith. I personally thought it was a compliment to Jesus and refused to sanction an email to the person who owned the sig line.

Who was, I believe, a person who is now banned. For rudeness, not for religious beliefs.

Rudeness and conviction are not complementary qualities. One day I hope to GET THIS ACROSS to EVERYONE who posts on these boards.

EVERYONE.

SWB

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Susan. You and your team have handled these situations with nothing but grace, respect and diplomacy. I greatly appreciate these boards and the amount of work that you all put into keeping them running smoothly.

Thanks for the explanation, and for leaving the thread up.

Could you chime in about why the rep was changed?

Well...rep only changes under two circumstances.

--When we "permanently delete" a thread (remove it without a trace) rather than "soft delete" it (which is our policy..the thread leaves its footprints with a "deleted"). If a thread is permanently deleted, you can ask us why...I'm not aware of this happening, apart from deletions of unintentionally doubled posts, which is a regular part of board maintenance.

--When the poster receives a formal message explaining why the rep was changed, in which case there shouldn't be a question.

You guys do all realize, don't you, that rep is an online game which, like all online games, 1) is amusing, 2) has value in the online community ONLY, and 3) has little to do with how you are perceived in real life???

SWB