Menu

I liked Phred, why was he banned?

You guys do all realize, don't you, that rep is an online game which, like all online games, 1) is amusing, 2) has value in the online community ONLY, and 3) has little to do with how you are perceived in real life???

SWB

:lol::lol::lol:

:iagree:

At the risk of sounding like a suck-up...you are one very cool lady and I appreciate this board a lot.

Well...rep only changes under two circumstances.

--When we "permanently delete" a thread (remove it without a trace) rather than "soft delete" it (which is our policy..the thread leaves its footprints with a "deleted"). If a thread is permanently deleted, you can ask us why...I'm not aware of this happening, apart from deletions of unintentionally doubled posts, which is a regular part of board maintenance.

--When the poster receives a formal message explaining why the rep was changed, in which case there shouldn't be a question.

You guys do all realize, don't you, that rep is an online game which, like all online games, 1) is amusing, 2) has value in the online community ONLY, and 3) has little to do with how you are perceived in real life???

SWB

I think what was meant was that the number of rep needed to go up in rep power seems to have changed in the past few days. There is something on the how to forum under the rep sticky from Heather that was edited on Sept. 10th. Instead of 100 points per rep power, it became 500 points for rep power, or something like that. I think that was what was being questioned. Why those had changed. Just guessing here.

Well...rep only changes under two circumstances.

--When we "permanently delete" a thread (remove it without a trace) rather than "soft delete" it (which is our policy..the thread leaves its footprints with a "deleted"). If a thread is permanently deleted, you can ask us why...I'm not aware of this happening, apart from deletions of unintentionally doubled posts, which is a regular part of board maintenance.

--When the poster receives a formal message explaining why the rep was changed, in which case there shouldn't be a question.

SWB

Yep, and I accept the challenge of the new rules. I shall enjoy the new challenge immensely. It was getting too easy wasn't it!:D

SWB

You mean...THIS is *not* real life? All my witty responses, all my sage advice, all my me-ness going to waste with no carryover? I've been walking a little taller & looking more actual people in the eye every time I get a green rep. I've been working tirelessly on making my own little green boxes to hand out to random people who please me IRL. My fantasy has been ... crushed. What a jolt. :D

Yep, and I accept the challenge of the new rules. I shall enjoy the new challenge immensely. It was getting too easy wasn't it!:D

I go watch 9 year old boys play a dusty, dirty baseball tournament in the hot sun and apparently my brain cells are affected.

What rule change did I miss?

Is it just rep stuff, or is there an important posting rule that I'm missing?

I go watch 9 year old boys play a dusty, dirty baseball tournament in the hot sun and apparently my brain cells are affected.

What rule change did I miss?

Is it just rep stuff, or is there an important posting rule that I'm missing?

Rep is worth less than it used to be, that's all. 1 pt for every 500 pts of rep plus the other stuff (number of posts, time on the board, etc).

I think what was meant was that the number of rep needed to go up in rep power seems to have changed in the past few days. There is something on the how to forum under the rep sticky from Heather that was edited on Sept. 10th. Instead of 100 points per rep power, it became 500 points for rep power, or something like that. I think that was what was being questioned. Why those had changed. Just guessing here.

Yes, that's it. Thanks, Melissa.

You mean...THIS is *not* real life? All my witty responses, all my sage advice, all my me-ness going to waste with no carryover? I've been walking a little taller & looking more actual people in the eye every time I get a green rep. I've been working tirelessly on making my own little green boxes to hand out to random people who please me IRL. My fantasy has been ... crushed. What a jolt. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I think you already banned her... Rowan? Also the Obama is not different from Osama thread. I know the poster was asked to change her sig line...

Okay, I had to chuckle at this.

First you made the observation that certain types of posters are banned/reprimanded while others are not. When asked for specific examples of offensive posters who are NOT banned/reprimanded, the two examples you gave were of people who, by your own witness, have been banned or given "cease" orders from admin!!

Just wondering if you realize this... :)

>>I think you already banned her... Rowan? Also the Obama is not different from Osama thread. I know the poster was asked to change her sig line, but if Phred or Nakitty had had that sig line directed towards Palin or someone's faith.. I think it would have been more than a warning that they would have received. It's just a perception, and I may be wrong.<<

I was the one with the Obama/Osama sig. It had been in my sig for over a month before I got the blast of negativity in the post where someone asked me what I really believed it said.

I have been on these boards for YEARS, and I have NEVER started anything other than that ill-thought-out sig line (which was actually a joke IRL). It was my fault for not reading the rules carefully, but, since I have never really jumped in and started things or posted in hot-button posts, I just didn't think I would actually do something that was against the rules.

Most of the posters that have been banned were instigators and have had many offenses. I don't think it has anything to do with their beliefs, but more with the way they attack those who don't have the same ones. I'm sure that is the difference in being banned or not being banned. SWB may jump in here and tell me I am wrong though, but that's my guess.

I'm not real sure how anyone knew that the admins had asked me about removing the sig line, because I never shared that information. Either way, I did what I needed to do without trying to cause strife here.

I enjoy the boards. I am VERY opinionated. I generally stay out of those heated threads because I DON'T want to say things I shouldn't. I wish, sometimes, that others would do the same.

I also have to appreciate that SWB got on here and responded to this post, explaining the whys of banning to those that were curious. I do NOT believe she owed anyone that explanation.

Oh, I got you. Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

Yes, we upped the number of rep points needed to give positive rep.

Why?

Because there are a group of posters who rep each other regularly for random reasons simply to boost their rep power, and simply to poke a thumb in the eye of the rep system, and that small clique had gotten too much rep power.

This annoys me because I had hoped that the rep system would serve a useful purpose on the sale and swap board. Which it does, and if we turn it off HERE we have to turn it off across the forums. So far I think that its usefulness on the sale and swap sections of the boards outweighs its abuse elsewhere.

I'm guessing that, ultimately, this small and determined group of posters will force us to remove the system from the entire forum, which is too bad for those of you who might have found it useful in evaluating the trustworthiness of vendors on the board. Sometimes good intentions are, in fact, overwhelmed by determined resistance.

I have to say that viewing the rep comments has opened my eyes to the ways in which women feel desperate for approval. Posters complain to us, or publicly on the boards, if they have receive one negative rep point--even if they've received fifty or more positive rep points for the same post.

In fact, posters quite often complain about receiving negative rep points when they haven't gotten a single negative rep at all.

We kind of scratch our heads over this. The comments are private, after all; so are the points. No one sees them except the person to whom they're directed.

I almost think there's a book in this somewhere. (Okay, before you all send me messages, I'm not completely serious. But...almost.)

SWB

>>I'm not real sure how anyone knew that the admins had asked me about removing the sig line, because I never shared that information. Either way, I did what I needed to do without trying to cause strife here.

Stacey,

I'm puzzled too.

You are a valued member of these boards. You have no idea how grateful I am that you were willing to listen and respond to our concerns. You decided to keep the conversations on the boards going, rather than to assert your own right to say exactly what you pleased, and your maturity is much appreciated.

I'm sorry this came out in this way.

SWB

I think you already banned her... Rowan? Also the Obama is not different from Osama thread. I know the poster was asked to change her sig line, but if Phred or Nakitty had had that sig line directed towards Palin or someone's faith.. I think it would have been more than a warning that they would have received. It's just a perception, and I may be wrong.

. . . the difference may lie in the fact that the poster in question actually did repent? Didn't she offer an apology, even? Perhaps not the most gracious one ever written--I don't really recall--but didn't she indicate her willingness to muzzle her own opinions when some found them offensive? What else should have happened?

I am genuinely grieved that you have been offended by a certain segment of the spectrum represented on this board (especially where some of them lay claim to the same faith I have), but your example seems to prove the opposite of what you want it to. Of the two real offenders you named, one repented and the other actually was banned. How do these show conservatives getting away with a rudeness that's not permitted from liberals on this board?

A lot of people who share my theological convictions feel like they're in a minority in popular culture. Whenever something bad happens to another conservative or evangelical Christian, they pull out the "Well, if a Muslim had done that . . . " argument. I don't find it helpful or convincing. Just resentful. Poor, pitiful, persecuted me. It never occurs to them that sometimes bad things happen to Christians because those Christians are doing stupid things.

I understand that you feel like you're in the minority here, but . . . well, maybe we can all get past trading resentments at our supposed persecution.

This annoys me because I had hoped that the rep system would serve a useful purpose on the sale and swap board.

<snip>

which is too bad for those of you who might have found it useful in evaluating the trustworthiness of vendors on the board.

I have been giving rep points to posts that I agree with, or think are funny, or to say thank you. I don't see in this case how adding rep points to a person gives any indication of trustworthiness. It seems more like a popularity contest. When I see a poster with lots of rep, I think "popular" not necessarily someone I'd engage in a business transaction with.

Stacey,

I'm puzzled too.

You are a valued member of these boards. You have no idea how grateful I am that you were willing to listen and respond to our concerns. You decided to keep the conversations on the boards going, rather than to assert your own right to say exactly what you pleased, and your maturity is much appreciated.

I'm sorry this came out in this way.

SWB

Why is this so puzzling. It was a very heated and ugly thread. The sig line was there and then it wasn't by the end of the day. I gathered she was asked to change it, since she was so adamant that she agreed with it.

I think many here are struggling with the changing dynamics of these boards. For many years I never posted, knowing I was in the minority in many ways. Change can be hard, but I feel many of us will benefit from hearing different views, instead of just those that mirror our own.

I'm guessing that, ultimately, this small and determined group of posters will force us to remove the system from the entire forum, ...

I'd hate to see that happen. When I remember to use it, it is kind of fun.

Before you delete the rep system, can you give all of us all the little green squares for a day? Just for fun.

In fact, posters quite often complain about receiving negative rep points when they haven't gotten a single negative rep at all.

We kind of scratch our heads over this. The comments are private, after all; so are the points. No one sees them except the person to whom they're directed.

I almost think there's a book in this somewhere. (Okay, before you all send me messages, I'm not completely serious. But...almost.)

SWB

I think because it hurts. It hurts in particular if it's anonymous and you can't make it right. (And here, of course, I'm talking about REAL negative rep, and anonymous negative rep in particular. Not the imaginary kind.)

I could care less about how many points I get *dinged*, and in truth I don't get dinged often At. All. I have an embarrassment of points, but that's not the issue for me. The slaps that you cannot even make right (because you don't know to whom to direct the apology/correction and you can't post about it openly) are the ones that just make you crazy. Even if they appear only once in a blue moon.

I've even complained about rep that was deleted. Not as a complaint for me, personally, but because I remembered how much it just made me feel like crap (even though it's just a game and it's fun and the points are made up and don't matter) and I was agreeing with another newly hurt poster about how it *felt*.

Anyway, my two cents for the book. :D

I have to say that viewing the rep comments has opened my eyes to the ways in which women feel desperate for approval. Posters complain to us, or publicly on the boards, if they have receive one negative rep point--even if they've received fifty or more positive rep points for the same post.
Just a point of clarification. Are you are talking about viewing PM's about rep or rep comments? I'm asking because I will occasionally say something in (positive) rep that I'd rather put into a PM if I know rep comments are read by mods/admins.

OK, people, it's 11 PM here on the East Coast, and because I am now forty and tired, I'm going to bed.

Also I've said everything I have to say on this thread. I think you all know where the WTM team is coming from on this, and why we adminster these boards as we do.

You all have two choices. Use the board to talk about home education. Or use it to talk about the board.

I'll let you decide while I go to bed and close the thread. See you all tomorrow.

SWB