Menu

Spin off of "princess thread"

And I also dislike when people said to my son, take care of your mother. It's my job to take care of him thank you very much. He's a child - not a man. He doesn't get the rights of nor have the responsibilities of a man and he shouldn't.

A friend with an son with Aspergers has no end of trouble when people say that sort of thing because he takes it literally.

So how do you all feel about people calling their sons (or your son), "little man?"

It's not a term I have ever even considered using for my son. I call him by name, or Mr. Thomas on rare occasion. In the privacy of our home, I call him sweetheart, because he is a sweetheart.

I've never heard anyone call their sons little man, but it wouldn't bother me.

I guess the only thing would bother me would be if people called their son stupid, dumb, or the likes, or use foul language toward their son.

Years ago when I first moved to SC I was told that the word "boy" was used as a derogatory term for male slaves in the south. Little man was used by parents of boy children instead.

I was a preteen when we moved there and was instructed by the mom of a little man about not calling young male children boys.

I think that things that really bother some people never even cross my radar....:lol:

I'm with you.

Everyone who met him called my first son Little Man because from 18 months on, he was just like a little man. It was hilarious. He didn't look like a little boy. He looked like a 50 year old man who'd been shot with a shrink ray. He talked and reasoned like such a grown-up. I'm telling you, he was the youngest old man you've ever met. He has since grown out of that phase.

Love it or hate it .... this is what we sing/chant to my 'little man" Said to the tune of WHO LET THE DOGS OUT who-who-who-who -------- "DANNY THE MANNY -who-who-who-who":lol:

Guess you could call it one of those "inside jokes" that all families have which are unique to them.

I suppose we call him our little man because he truly is the littlest male in our house. Having three older sisters can be tough so in a way we are referring to and celebrating his uniqueness. I find it endearing and never for one moment thought of it as derogatory but it's always good to know someone elses perspective.

My son was born breech so when they handed him to me he had a nice square looking head, very old man looking - lol - and he only had hair around the back of his head. He also had big hands with very long fingers -- from that moment we called him our little man. That is exactly what he looked like -- and even today when I look back at his hospital pictures he looks like an old man.

He's ten now, but every once and a while I'll tell him he's still my little man. :001_smile:

I read someones post above about using the word "boy" in the south...well.... if I say it to my son, he's in trouble. LOL "Boy get your butt over here"

So how do you all feel about people calling their sons (or your son), "little man?"

This one, I remember. First day home, I went to get him out of the crib and said, "How's my Little Man?!" I think that was the last time -- it just didn't sound right! But it never got my attention if other people call him that -- not that he's even close to "little" anymore :lol: -- or their own kids.

We did end up with quite a few little "pet names" for him -- none of which are suitable now. I *really* try to be conscious of where we are, or if his friends are at the house. I don't want to embarrass him, though he would, and has, taken it in stride. I did blurt a "pet name" a few months ago in a very crowded room -- all people who knew us. And when I apologized later, he said my reaction was worse than the infraction itself. :) "It's okay, Mom. I know I'll always be your [insert]."

We call him "son" sometimes. As a matter of fact, he specifically mention that he liked that. So --

We don't use a nickname for him, though he could have one, and some people have used it. It's not that "it's his name and that's it" -- his nickname just never sounded "right" either. It doesn't bother me when other people use a nickname for him, and he says, now, that he wouldn't prefer it, but if he wanted to use it, it wouldn't bother me. I wanted to name him "Nicholas" and call him "Nick" -- and I think he looks like a Nick! But I was overruled. ;)

I haven't been reading the "Princess" thread, but the title reminded me of something. I remember during the Menendez brothers trial, the defense made a big deal of the fact that the parents didn't use pet names for their kids. I thought that was an odd point to emphasize at the time -- but they were busy pulling rabbits out of their hats.

No one has ever referred to one of my sons as "Little Man".

They love it now when I refer to them as men -- like when I told them I bought them some "man shampoo" or when I say anything using the word "men" and my implication is that they are in that group. Catching more flies with honey is what I'm doing.

RC

And that's followed closely by wondering why people call their dc "the baby" when "the baby" is, in fact," 3 or 4 years old. Why is that???

Because we are in denial. And I should know. I'm the mother of an almost 3 year old baby, who corrects me and tells me "No Mommy. I not a baby. I N". And to that I say "hrmph".

Sometimes I call my son "sir". Not sure why or where it came from. Little Man doesn't bother me, but I don't think we've used that one.

I do thistoo, they get a kick out of it. I also say Ma'am to dd on occasion. It's usually like "can you pass the salt, thank you sir/ma'am" So just being playful. If really in a strange mood I will call them madame and monsieur