Menu

Removing retail security devices- ideas?

Annie G

Our niece and nephew ordered a beautiful Yeti cooler for us as a thank you gift, and it arrived with a very strong retail security device on the handle. 

It was ordered from Academy Sports, and we don't have those stores here. I contacted customer service but their only offer was to ship it back (at my expense) and they'd refund the money to my niece. I want to exchange it, not return it, but nope. Trying to solve this without involving our niece and nephew because I'm sure it would bug them to know their order is causing me work. ( I don't mind the work, but I don't want them knowing their gift is anything but a complete joy)

We have two strong rare earth magnets but those did nothing. It's solid plastic and has no obvious way to cut it off- any other suggestions? I'm nervous about breaking it because it might have ink inside. 

I will be back in that state next summer, so I can take it then to have it removed as long as I have the receipt with me (that's what customer service says). But in the meantime, it looks very much like a stolen Yeti cooler. 

Suggestions on how to remove it? Anyone with an Academy nearby who has seen how they  remove it?  My magnets attach to both the top and bottom so I know there's some trick...

I'd push the issue with customer service. It's their (the company's) fault. It's their responsibility to make it right, and NOT at your expense.

I have noticed an increase in the failure to remove security devices in many stores.

• Like 12

Evidently not all of the shipping would be on me. They offer free shipping but this item was large or heavy enough to incur a $10 additional fee, so I would have to pay that plus the cost to insure it, which they recommend.  No way would I NOT insure it- right now I don't trust them a whole lot. 

Hoping to avoid that. I wonder if I can use it for the next 9 months until I go back to a state that has an Academy store. Just kind of concerned that if I walk in that much later they won;t believe my invoice goes with that cooler...that they'll think I recently stole a cooler and just using an old invoice to get the tag off. 

I'd push the issue with customer service. It's their (the company's) fault. It's their responsibility to make it right, and NOT at your expense.

I have noticed an increase in the failure to remove security devices in many stores.

I was surprised to see a security device on a item that was ordered online. Guess I assumed those were put on at the store level. Shows how little I know. 

I'm also noticing more devices left on, which is weird. I have walked out with a device on and no alarm went off- only to discover it at home. And I've walked out of a store empty handed only to have the alarm go off...now THAT looks suspicious. 

• Like 1

I could probably fight the shipping costs and likely win that battle but that only partly solves my issue. They won't exchange this and send me another one. They will only refund to my niece's card. I'm still holding out hope that someone can help me figure out how to remove the tag or at least reassure me that when I go down there next summer that the place will remove it then even though it won't be a recent purchase. 

What kind of company doesn't do exchanges??? 

• Like 1

It's bad enough you're having to deal with the inconvenience caused by their mistake. You should not have to incur ANY financial cost to get it corrected. If they won't cover every penny of the cost of shipping it back and sending you a replacement, I'd contact their corporate offices and make a complaint. Make sure you have the name of the person with whom you spoke.

• Like 11

I could probably fight the shipping costs and likely win that battle but that only partly solves my issue. They won't exchange this and send me another one. They will only refund to my niece's card. I'm still holding out hope that someone can help me figure out how to remove the tag or at least reassure me that when I go down there next summer that the place will remove it then even though it won't be a recent purchase.

That's absurd. You need to call and talk to someone else.
  • Like 3

I would keep fighting this until they do what they need to do. Someone has the power.

Another option my be to find a different local store who would have sympathy and remove it.

• Like 2

That's absurd. You need to call and talk to someone else.

Yeah, I tried that. They don't do exchanges and suggest I just tell my niece to reorder it.   But they did at least agree to pay shipping this time. Still said I should insure it but if they send me a prepaid shipping label I don't even know how to buy insurance for it. 

I am working really hard to curtail my language but that response really tested me. 

I'll be writing a letter to them, but not holding out a lot of hope that it'll bring a resolution. 

It looks like Cabelas and REI are 2 retailers.

I have a Cabelas about 70 miles away- I wonder if they use the same security device? I asked Gander Mountain, which is 40 miles away and they have a different kind of device and they can't take mine off.  

I'll call Cabelas- thanks. 

Yeah, I tried that. They don't do exchanges and suggest I just tell my niece to reorder it. But they did at least agree to pay shipping this time. Still said I should insure it but if they send me a prepaid shipping label I don't even know how to buy insurance for it.

I am working really hard to curtail my language but that response really tested me.

I'll be writing a letter to them, but not holding out a lot of hope that it'll bring a resolution.

Are they going to refund your niece all the shipping costs too? I would make sure of that before returning it.

You wouldn't need to insure it if they send a ups label. Just make sure to have it scanned and get a receipt when you take it to the ups store.

• Like 1

Are they going to refund your niece all the shipping costs too? I would make sure of that before returning it.

You wouldn't need to insure it if they send a ups label. Just make sure to have it scanned and get a receipt when you take it to the ups store.

This thing is expensive- the insurance that comes with the postage won't cover it, according to the customer service rep.  But at least it's able to be tracked so I can prove they got it, so maybe that would be enough. 

You can upload a picture that you have taken yourself.  If you upload it to photobucket or a similar photo sharing site, you can click on the little square with a tree on it in the reply box (on here) and use the url from photobucket and it should post here.  Clear as mud?

Look on youtube for videos about how to remove security devices. 

did you google it?

I tried to google it, but came up with a lot of devices that one can buy in order to secure their own coolers (kind of like bike locks).  I couldn't find any that showed the retail security devices.

How frustrating!  That happened to me once, and I worked on it for days and still didn't get it off.  I was so mad at that darn thing in the end!

Do you know anyone who works at a retail store in your town?  I wonder if any tag removal device would work.  Maybe if you explained your situation to a store you frequent often and they know you, they could try it for you?

Otherwise I would push, push, push to get the original store to pay for it all.  Since this is not urgent, I think I'd write a letter to the president of the company, as well as to the store manager of the store you think it was purchased from (let them know in the letter that you are sending a copy to both of them), and explain the whole situation.  Tell them (kindly) that you do expect them to either 1) email you a postage return slip and send you a replacement in return or  2) email you a postage return slip, take the device off once they get it, and then return the same item back to you.  Just give them those two options.  Don't forget to include all of your contact information in the letter:  email address, phone number, and address.

Good luck!

I tried to google it, but came up with a lot of devices that one can buy in order to secure their own coolers (kind of like bike locks).  I couldn't find any that showed the retail security devices.

I googled "How to remove a security device" and came up with a whooooole lot of hits. Yes, some are for clothing, but they still might be helpful.  And not all of them are for clothing.

You can even google 'How to remove a magnetic security device" and still get helpful hits

It's almost comical that it actually says 'security device'. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.  I'm still pursuing it through Academy customer service, and dh runs a test lab so he has all kinds of equipment and guys who would love to take a crack at this thing. Not sure I want them to try to break it off because there was mention made of paint inside and if it gets on the Yeti that it won't come off and then it's not returnable. Anyway, dh and his crew might take a stab at it but if that or customer service doesn't work we're just going to take it by Academy the next time we drive to Atlanta.  Which will be next summer, at least. I'll fly down there 4 or more times before then but I don't pay to check luggage so it'll have to wait. 

I agree that their customer service stinks and I'm still trying, but I'm not going to let on to our niece and nephew that this happened. It was such a thoughtful gift, as dh and I take a lot of road trips and really appreciate this. 

• Like 2

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Call them back. They need to send out a new cooler and email you a return shipping label.

Ita!!!!

They *can* make this right. Keep pushing! It should cost you *nothing* to receive your gift in proper condition.

They can send you a label that will ship and insure it on their account.

This is an unusual case so *normal* won't cut it and the average rep just does normal.

So, I've never heard of Academy Sports so I googled their return policy.  They do take returns within 30 days with original sales receipt etc etc.  I don't see how this is going to work out for you.  If you keep it for 9 months and try to take it to a store they are just going to tell you that they can't help you because it is after the 90 days etc. 

I bet they think your niece stole it and this is a scam to remove the security device. I just bet they do.  They are being supremely unhelpful and unreasonable. 

To be honest, if I gave someone a big ticket gift like that and they couldn't use it, I would want to know. Like really, really want to know. If I spent that much on a gift, I would want it to be useable to the person I gave it to. I mean I'd never know otherwise maybe, but it seems like such a waste of your niece's money to let it go unused for such a long time because you don't want to trouble her.

Eta: autocorrect!!!! Argh!

• Like 4

I googled "How to remove a security device" and came up with a whooooole lot of hits. Yes, some are for clothing, but they still might be helpful. And not all of them are for clothing.

You can even google 'How to remove a magnetic security device" and still get helpful hits

I got those, but nothing that would go on the handle of a cooler. I figured the removal for them was specific to the actual device.

I second trying to contact Yeti as well.

So, I've never heard of Academy Sports so I googled their return policy.  They do take returns within 30 days with original sales receipt etc etc.  I don't see how this is going to work out for you.  If you keep it for 9 months and try to take it to a store they are just going to tell you that they can't help you because it is after the 90 days etc. 

I bet they think your niece stole it and this is a scam to remove the security device. I just bet they do.  They are being supremely unhelpful and unreasonable. 

I have the order number and it was mailed from their warehouse to me, so they know it's not a stolen item.  I'm just hoping that when we finally visit they will take the tag off. I'll keep the invoice...well, I'll try. g  

I don't think the folks I'm dealing with now think it's stolen but I am concerned that in 9 months they will think it is. 

Did you get an invoice? So you have proof of purchase without contacting your niece?

Yeah, I have an invoice, which kind of bugs me because when I send gifts I like to keep the price from being revealed because that's....kind of weird.  So I'm sure my niece expected the same thing since it was noted that it's a gift. 

To be honest, if I gave someone a big ticket gift like that and they couldn't use it, I would want to know. Like really, really want to know. If I spent that much on a gift, I would want it to be useable to the person I gave it to. I mean I'd never know otherwise maybe, but it seems like such a waste of your niece's money to let it go unused for such a long time because you don't want to trouble her.

Eta: autocorrect!!!! Argh!

Oh, I'm going to use it right away.  It's on the handle and this thing is going to live in my car trunk most of the time. I can turn the handle backwards so I can't see it. Other wise it will drive me crazy. 

It was such an unexpected, thoughtful gift and I really don't want them to know it wasn't perfect on arrival.  

I guess if I was the gift giver I would want to know, but I'm having trouble being the bearer of this news. 

Oh, I'm going to use it right away. It's on the handle and this thing is going to live in my car trunk most of the time. I can turn the handle backwards so I can't see it. Other wise it will drive me crazy.

It was such an unexpected, thoughtful gift and I really don't want them to know it wasn't perfect on arrival.

I guess if I was the gift giver I would want to know, but I'm having trouble being the bearer of this news.

Ah, I get it.

I guess if I were the giver spending that money I'd absolutely want my money's worth, and to know it wasn't perfect on arrival. I paid for it to be perfect, darnit!! :)

But if you can solve it without involving them, I can see how that would be better. I think a tweet at them might get you in touch with the right people because it's public and they want to look like they are good at resolving customer complaints.

• Like 2

I'm confused. The device doesn't make it stay closed? So what does the security device do then? Just beep when you go into the store?

I thought maybe the invoice left off the price. That is kind of odd to me they included the price with a gift. on Amazon invoices I think they keep the price off gift invoices.

Nope, the device is just attached to the handle, almost like it was custom made for it.  Have you seen Yeti coolers? They aren't something you can just hide under your jacket so just having a device on it seems dumb. Crazy that they have this device on them, but I am glad it's where it is. There are two places to add a padlock to make is bear proof and if it was there then it would have been unusable. 

I wish the invoice had left the price off. I knew they were pricey but man, I had no idea. 

Since you want to exchange it anyway, I would just mail it back and let them refund your nieces card.   Then tell your niece what happened.  

eta:  When I had my first real job, I lived 30 minutes away from any clothing stores, and I desperately needed office clothing.  So, every paycheck I'd buy some clothes at Dillard's.  They kept leaving the %^%$ security tags on the clothing.   Like every single time.  I usually remembered to check myself and have them removed before I left, but I shopped after work, when tired, so I forgot to check sometimes.  So, the fourth time I got home to find the security device, I decided to raise a stink.  They kept telling me to just come into the store, as if I hadn't already wasted 4.5 hours on their previous three mistakes.  Finally I was talking to a manager and I said, "You picked the wrong person to do this to.  I just graduated from college, and I have my first real job.  I have a closet full of shorts and sweats that won't work."   Someone came to my apartment to remove the security device.  And, you know, I kept shopping there and never again did I come home with the security device.  

• Like 4

I would call customer service back and ask to speak to a supervisor if you get the same drill the second time around. The first line people can't make decisions to override policy. Just keep asking to speak to the person's boss. 

The company made a mistake and they should take care of it--especially if it was a gift! 

• Like 3

I'd be sending a scathing email with all the details, my photo and the fact that I was about to plaster this stuff all over Facebook twitter and ALL of my personal social media accounts and tell everyone I knew IRL and online what TERRIBLE customer service they had. I'd also be ready to call whatever consumer protection reporter is on the local news station.

• Like 4

I'm pursuing it through their corporate office. I'm not really a plaster it all over social media type, though that is a good way to get their attention.  If this was a safety issue or something dangerous, I would use social media. 

I am also firmly opposed to letting niece and nephew know what's going on- I understand it would be easier to just return it and have them reorder it but I'm not willing to tarnish the joy they had when they sent the gift.   If we can't get an exchange through corporate we'll take it by one of their stores when we're in Atlanta next summer. Annoying to have it on there until then, but it's not rendering the cooler unusable. 

Thanks for all the suggestions...when I talk to someone again next week I might be back reconsidering all the ideas here ( if they make me angry when I talk to them).  But today I had other fires to put out with MIL's dementia issues.  Helped me see my silly cooler issue with the right perspective.