Menu

Go to State University young, or take AP classes & aim for a top tier school?

What should I do? My son is bright and a good student. Assume that via scholarships, grants and Grandma, that either option will work financially.

Homeschool enough to graduate my son, and then have them commute to our local university which is comparable to a community college and state university rolled into one. He will have enough academics under his belt to take college-level classes there by age 15 or so. He's 12 now.

OR

Go above and beyond the minimum high school requirements, by homeschooling or outsoucing AP level classes, plus do great community service and extra curricular activities so that he can go away to a top university. He wouldn't be ready for that until age 18-19.

It completely depends on what he wants to do. Some geographical regions and fields of interest would strongly support a top tier school. For others, there would be no benefit. You really don't have to make that decision until the year before he goes though. Continue with school at his pace. If you're not sure in 2 years when he hits 14, then plan 15 to be dual enrollment. Don't graduate him but let him try the local State U. At some point, it will be clear which will fit him.

There isn't a right and wrong answer here. It is all about finding the one that would be right for him and we can't do that for you.

• Like 4

Homeschool enough to graduate my son, and then have them commute to our local university which is comparable to a community college and state university rolled into one. He will have enough academics under his belt to take college-level classes there by age 15 or so. He's 12 now.

OR

Go above and beyond the minimum high school requirements, by homeschooling or outsoucing AP level classes, plus do great community service and extra curricular activities so that he can go away to a top university. He wouldn't be ready for that until age 18-19.

Why not both simultaneously? Why decide now?

I would homeschool, NOT graduate him, but have him take classes at local university as a dually enrolled student while still in high school.

Then make a decision in 12th grade whether he wants to attend the local U full time (using the credits he already earned would shorten the time or free up time for additional majors) or whether he is interested in applying to a selective private university.

That's what we did. DD started taking classes at the local university at age 14, graduated high school at 17 with 30+ college credits and is now attending a top tier private university.

It gives you a lot of flexibility to tailor his education, add college courses as needed and feasible without being committed to go full time, and enables you to change course if circumstances change.

• Like 13

There is no dual admission at the local university. He'd need a complete high school transcript and SAT scores. The school accepts mediocre grades and scores. Most incoming freshmen take remedial math.

Back when I was in high school I prepared for the SAT in 10th grade. Took it in 11th and applied for early admission into college. I thought you were supposed to start the process of planning to college early. Maybe I'm rushing things?

If he took three years of classes at the local school and transferred to a top school, wouldn't it be demoralizing when they wouldn't accept his credits? I don't think they usually do. Would it be better for him to go ahead and graduate and then try a top tier school for graduate school? Is it hard to go from a state school for a bachelors and then go to a top school for a masters?

We have gone round and round. Ds is 11. We have chosen the route regentrude posted about above. Currently Ds takes the most rigorous classes he feels comfortable with (probably starting APs next year). The local community college accepts AP courses towards an AA, which means he can graduate with the degree at the same time he graduates high school. Top tier will like to see both the AA and the AP's. He can then take intersting and more specific classes he likes at community college around 14 (like foreign language classes). He gets to be homeschooled, still gets to explore, and in general those couple of years reaally aren't going to mean a whole lot in the long run. No top teirs we have talked to care if he is 15 or 17. He is just another kid trying to enter their school.

It keeps all our options open. No bridges being burned and a quarter or two of community college is rather cheap comparatively.

There is no dual admission at the local university. He'd need a complete high school transcript and SAT scores.

I don't understand: does he really need to have graduated from high school? The requirement for a high school transcript and SAT score is normal, but most universities enroll students if they have not yet graduated from high school. Our university holds high schoolers seeking enrollment to higher standards than regular freshmen.

The school accepts mediocre grades and scores. Most incoming freshmen take remedial math.

This would eliminate the school for me as a final college choice for a strong student. I would handpick which courses could serve a need while taken in high school, but I would not consider this school to be able to provide the intellectual challenge a gifted student needs.

Would it be better for him to go ahead and graduate and then try a top tier school for graduate school? Is it hard to go from a state school for a bachelors and then go to a top school for a masters?

I can't say about graduate school, but if the school is weak, the undergrad education will be weak, and the student may be disadvantaged on the subject GRE.

You need to talk to the department and see how their graduates are placed.

If he took three years of classes at the local school and transferred to a top school, wouldn't it be demoralizing when they wouldn't accept his credits? I don't think they usually do.

I don't see it as demoralizing, This is exactly what happens with DD. We did not take the college classes so she could transfer credits, but so she could get a strong high school education. She could use some for placement at her college - but we went into this seeing eye's. At a top school, course X is so much more challenging than at even a good public college that those credits really are not created equal. We see this first hand every quarter.

Back when I was in high school I prepared for the SAT in 10th grade. Took it in 11th and applied for early admission into college. I thought you were supposed to start the process of planning to college early. Maybe I'm rushing things?

You say your son is 12. That is a bit early - you have no idea about his interests in a few years.

• Like 4

This would eliminate the school for me as a final college choice for a strong student. I would handpick which courses could serve a need while taken in high school, but I would not consider this school to be able to provide the intellectual challenge a gifted student needs.

I can't say about graduate school, but if the school is weak, the undergrad education will be weak, and the student may be disadvantaged on the subject GRE.

You need to talk to the department and see how their graduates are placed.

Thanks for being frank.

So I might use the university to outsource the classes I can't teach well at home. I really don't want to learn any math past geometry and algebra II. ETA: I don't know any foreign language, so I'm not a good teacher of that. The local university is an option for teaching him those classes. I could think of it as dual enrolment, even if it isn't, officially.

The local school is not known to be strong in any department, as far as I know. None of the graduates of the better private schools go there.

I don't understand: does he really need to have graduated from high school? The requirement for a high school transcript and SAT score is normal, but most universities enroll students if they have not yet graduated from high school. Our university holds high schoolers seeking enrollment to higher standards than regular freshmen.

They accept high school graduates and homeschoolers who have graduated. They will not accept high school students. There is no dual enrolment. He would need to have a transcript which says he has already taken all the courses necessary for high school graduation.

They accept high school graduates and homeschoolers who have graduated. They will not accept high school students. There is no dual enrolment. He would need to have a transcript which says he has already taken all the courses necessary for high school graduation.

Are you sure that he could not take classes as a non-matriculated student?

My dd is taking language classes at a university under the "Continuing Education" umbrella, even though she is a high school sophomore. We do not have a dual enrollment program in our state. We are paying her tutition costs in full.

• Like 4

"The school accepts mediocre grades and scores. Most incoming freshmen take remedial math."

this would have driven me insane.  You may find he fits in better w/ students who care enough and have the ability to be solid academic students vs those who are middling students and just happen to be older.

• Like 1

I'd also suggest doing dual enrollment then trying for a top tier school.

but this........

There is no dual admission at the local university. He'd need a complete high school transcript and SAT scores. The school accepts mediocre grades and scores. Most incoming freshmen take remedial math.

If he took three years of classes at the local school and transferred to a top school, wouldn't it be demoralizing when they wouldn't accept his credits? I don't think they usually do. Would it be better for him to go ahead and graduate and then try a top tier school for graduate school? Is it hard to go from a state school for a bachelors and then go to a top school for a masters?

I would have DC do AP's while getting a rich and varied HS experience and then apply to top schools.  I wouldn't settle for the local place if you don't need to financially or educationally.

• Like 2

It would depend. If the student were absolutely convinced that they wanted to major in something like elementary education or nursing where a top-tier school is unnecessary and may not even offer the program, sure, go ahead and start. If graduate school were an option (let's say research scientist) they really want to be going to the school that will give them the best education, which doesn't sound like your local school. If they hadn't decided yet, I'd err on the side of caution -- it's a lot harder to get into some of those schools as a transfer, and if you have been registered as a matriculated student it may end up being that way.

Can you investigate online classes if there is no other local university? If she did end up wanting to graduate early at the local university they'd probably transfer, especially if she focused on gen eds.

I would be really surprised to hear they won't take a non-matriculated student. They may have a different name for it. I can't remember what my local State U called it. There was no tuition break, I had to provide a transcript and ACT scores, but they did let ds take classes. Dd took classes through the CC which does have an actual DE program.

• Like 1

I would be really surprised to hear they won't take a non-matriculated student. They may have a different name for it. I can't remember what my local State U called it. There was no tuition break, I had to provide a transcript and ACT scores, but they did let ds take classes.

My nearest state U has an Open U program.

The local university really, really does not take high school students.

He could officially (not really) graduate from homeschooling so he could go to the local school for a couple classes as a non-matriculated student. That could cause confusion later. When applying to a top tier school, I'd have to tell them I told the local school he stopped homeschooling in 2018, so he could take a couple classes, but he really continued homeschooling until 2021. That doesn't sound too good.

The local university really, really does not take high school students.

He could officially (not really) graduate from homeschooling so he could go to the local school for a couple classes as a non-matriculated student. That could cause confusion later. When applying to a top tier school, I'd have to tell them I told the local school he stopped homeschooling in 2018, so he could take a couple classes, but he really continued homeschooling until 2021. That doesn't sound too good.

Well, in that case, continue homeschooling and outsource the classes you're not comfortable teaching to online providers :)

• Like 3

Is it possible that your ds could audit university classes without actually being enrolled? That is what my ds is doing now. His professor is not under any obligation to grade papers or exams, but he has told ds that he will do that for him. When he applies to colleges, we'll list it on our homeschool transcript, but he won't have an official transcript from the school. For my ds, it's working really well so far. He's in a very challenging class, and the discussions go beyond anything we could do at home with him.

Not sure how it will work out for college admissions, we'll have to wait and see (he's a high school junior now).

• Like 2

Is it possible that your ds could audit university classes without actually being enrolled? That is what my ds is doing now. His professor is not under any obligation to grade papers or exams, but he has told ds that he will do that for him. When he applies to colleges, we'll list it on our homeschool transcript, but he won't have an official transcript from the school. For my ds, it's working really well so far. He's in a very challenging class, and the discussions go beyond anything we could do at home with him.

Not sure how it will work out for college admissions, we'll have to wait and see (he's a high school junior now).

Just a word of caution: some colleges require auditing students to pay full tuition. Professors may not be allowed to let any student audit who did not formally enroll as an auditing student, because of liability.

Are you a member of any homeschool support groups? If so, perhaps some parents with older students can share local resources in the area.

Are there any universities or private colleges a bit further away that would suit your needs? Even if it is an hour or two away , it could be an option for dual credit / distance or Saturday classes. I would not put a top student in a very subpar school. He may not feel comfortable or even socialize easily.

My DS1 thanked me the other day for not following through with my orignal plan of accelerating him and graduating him early. He said he would have hated being younger than the other students. He is really enjoying being in college at the traditional age and having the full four years to study and grow.

My DD graduated homeschool early at 16. She knows what path she is on and what is required for her desired major and her desired school. She is enrolled in an unusual guaranteed admission program. She is at a "good" CC. That being said, one of her classmates was literally dancing for joy at achieving a 72 on a test. She has also had several female classmates belittle her for taking notes and "being a nerd for studying"(they were not able to dance as 72 was not a score they were able to achieve). It doesn't phase her, she is driving toward her goals.

In the long run, it is a decision you should make together down the road. This is the perfect time to do exploring and making plans A-D. When the time comes, you will have all the information to figure out which plan works best.

Just a word of caution: some colleges require auditing students to pay full tuition. Professors may not be allowed to let any student audit who did not formally enroll as an auditing student, because of liability.

This is a good point. Our local (highly ranked) liberal arts college allows local high school school students to audit classes for no charge. This may not be true everywhere.

I hope others with experience will jump in, biology is a major that I've heard can be a challenge to find work with because there are many bright students with the degree. If that's the case I don't think it would help to have attended a subpar Uni with a lot of students working at remedial levels.

We have gone the route of home brewed AP courses, online courses (mostly Lukeion) and a bit of dual enrollment at the community college. It's not a lock for admissions to an elite college. Those are very competitive even among well qualified students. But I think my kids will in the race for the level of schools they are after.

In other words is not a choice between subpar and elite. I wouldn't race to get my kids through just to send them to a mediocre university.

A comment on having enough to graduate. Local high school graduation requirements are lower than my expectations. I wanted 4 years each of math, science, history, and English with 2-3 years of foreign language. I counted a couple credits before 9th grade but still kept them in high school for four years.

For us, solid online classes for homeschoolers and DE were close in price.

I have been evaluating our future plans as well.  We decided to skip my dd's 7th grade and count her as an 8th grader.  With that change, I am now looking at high school.  Our local university accepts high school students with at least 15 high school credits & an SAT score.  My dd12 could get one high school credit for Algebra 1 and another credit for Spanish 1 this year as an 8th grader.  She could complete 15 credits by the end of 10th grade and could enroll at the university her junior year of high school.  I believe she would need a minimum of 19 hs credits to graduate with a high school diploma.  My dd12 is pushing for this and it makes sense to us. Nothing is set in stone, things my change. 

I live on an island in the Caribbean with just one university. Flights to other islands start at $100 round trip. If he's going to college either he goes to the local school, or he goes away to live on campus.

I'll look into auditing at the local school.

I'll also look into online classes.

He'll take the SCAT for John Hopkins University's talent search next month. Hopefully, he'll do well, and get opportunities to take some online classes.

She is at a "good" CC. That being said, one of her classmates was literally dancing for joy at achieving a 72 on a test. She has also had several female classmates belittle her for taking notes and "being a nerd for studying"

This just reminded me that my friend, who was a professor at the local school, said when she lectured she'd have to say, "Write that down." Some students still wouldn't.

• Like 2

I live on an island in the Caribbean with just one university. Flights to other islands start at $100 round trip. If he's going to college either he goes to the local school, or he goes away to live on campus.

There are colleges that would have inexpensive distance learning that DE students can participate in. One example would be Clovis Community College. Our local CC charges a higher rate if you are out of the area, but it is still very inexpensive and they offer a lot of classes online. 

What kind of biology is he interested in? We're in a very similar situation. I have a 10 yr old who plans to be a herpetologist or ecologist. What I've found and heard from mentors is that the local state U could give her a bio degree, but it probably wouldn't be a good foundation for going into a PhD program in herpetology or ecology. It's not a horrible program, but because we have a lot of medical industry in the area, the colleges produce nursing and allied health students in droves, plus pre-med. That focus on teaching what those majors require tends to give short shrift to everything else. It's not that a student can't go into a doctoral program in organismal bio from a health careers based BS, but it's not going to give her any real exposure to what draws her to biology in the first place. Even with herpetology, there are certain schools that are already off her radar because, at least right now, the research they do simply doesn't interest her. For her, the ideal undergrad school will be somewhere that students are allowed and encouraged to research, present, and publish, and where a large percentage of the work involves whole, living organisms who remain alive, healthy, and happy once the work is completed.

We can't get her dream program here, so right now, we're looking at the DE route and building a strong background in those skills that she can get locally. Writing. Math. Library research and journal searching. Evaluating sources and critical thinking. Credit isn't important-skills are.

I also figure that if she wakes up at age 18 and decides she'd rather be a statistician who keeps pet snakes than a field biologist who uses statistics to analyze snake populations, those skills won't go to waste-but going to college early and getting a degree might make her feel like she can't change gears later. I figure she deserves the option of being an undecided teenager, even if she doesn't think she'll ever change her mind now.

• Like 7

I also figure that if she wakes up at age 18 and decides she'd rather be a statistician who keeps pet snakes than a field biologist who uses statistics to analyze snake populations, those skills won't go to waste-but going to college early and getting a degree might make her feel like she can't change gears later. I figure she deserves the option of being an undecided teenager, even if she doesn't think she'll ever change her mind now.

Yes yes yes. 

What I wanted to do young was quite different than what I really was best at doing and I sometimes wish that it had been more possible for me to change gears. 

• Like 3

I agree.  There are so many possibilities, and that's what is great about homeschooling.  We are trying to do the things that keep the student engaged and challenged and learning, and building skills for whatever they might want to do later.  I guess I feel like, for me, my main goal is to keep as many doors open as possible for as long as possible for them.

• Like 2

If his interest is in organismal bio, it seems like many of the professional groups are becoming more aware of the need to interest young scientists, so it may be worth it to contact those groups and see if there is anyone doing research in your area or any professional meetings that he could attend. Attending professional meetings has been very beneficial for my DD in connecting with others. I would imagine there is quite a bit of research in the Caribbean, and maybe some meetings as well. 

• Like 2

When he is older, and has some online bio under his belt, perhaps he can meet the professors in biology. Maybe he can persuade them to mentor him, or let him volunteer to work for them. Perhaps this might be a learning/networking opportunity. It wouldn't hurt to have some professionals write reccomendations for college either.

My opinion, have a great high school experience and go to a great college is so much better than a minimum high school experience and mediocre early college experience.

This thread has me starting to agree. I'm leaning against the local school now.

There are colleges that would have inexpensive distance learning that DE students can participate in. One example would be Clovis Community College. Our local CC charges a higher rate if you are out of the area, but it is still very inexpensive and they offer a lot of classes online.

Can you access AP classes online? You could always hire a professor or grade student to tutor your son.

The first time I ever looked into online classes was yesterday. I need to learn more about them.

What kind of biology is he interested in? ...For her, the ideal undergrad school will be somewhere ...where a large percentage of the work involves whole, living organisms who remain alive, healthy, and happy once the work is completed.

I'm not sure what kind of biology he might want to specialize in. He'd like to be a research scientist, not a nurse or doctor. He has that interest in studying whole, living organisms too! Hearing what your daughter is doing is very helpful. I'm taking notes.

Waiting until 18 to go to college so you have more time to pick a major isn't compelling to me.

Would a mainland school be better for meeting people, making contacts, etc?

Well, it would depend on the school, I guess.

I would imagine there is quite a bit of research in the Caribbean, and maybe some meetings as well.

There is research. And lots of grants available for more.

When he is older, and has some online bio under his belt, perhaps he can meet the professors in biology. Maybe he can persuade them to mentor him, or let him volunteer to work for them. Perhaps this might be a learning/networking opportunity. It wouldn't hurt to have some professionals write reccomendations for college either.

Great idea. Where's the note taking smilie?

My DD is 13 now and I am thinking of these things, as well.  We have decided to take the second option with her because, in the long run, it will increase her college options.  That is, she can always go to the local state school, even if she has gone above and beyond in high school.  But with the first option, the top university would not be an option.

What should I do? My son is bright and a good student. Assume that via scholarships, grants and Grandma, that either option will work financially.

OR

• Like 1

My DD is 13 now and I am thinking of these things, as well.  We have decided to take the second option with her because, in the long run, it will increase her college options.  That is, she can always go to the local state school, even if she has gone above and beyond in high school.  But with the first option, the top university would not be an option.

This has been our decision as well. One leaves doors open, the other doesn't. Beyond that, the decision to take APs and explore with extra-curricular activities is the best and most fulfilling decision for right now. 

• Like 1

On mentors, I'd suggest checking with local colleges and hobbyist/professional groups and going to hear guest speakers. We've found a lot of mentors that way. They don't have to just be PhD scientists-one of DD's best mentors is a wildlife photographer. She was part-way through her PhD program when she developed health issues that didn't let her finish, so they graduated her with an MS. She has a huge body of knowledge on identifying animals and has been very helpful.

FWIW, DD started working with professionals and being involved in field work and auditing graduate classes before she actually took a high school level biology class (and technically still hasn't-her mentors had her start out with Campbell's Essential Biology, which is a non-major COllege textbook as an introduction, and then move to regular Campbell's). She still hasn't finished all the topics normally covered in high school bio. It's been more "learn it as you need it". We are developing a huge library of college and professional bio books, field guides, herpetology journals, and so on.

Professional society memberships are worth paying for. Usually student memberships don't cost much. Some conferences have high school student or pre-baccalaureate student funding available or reduced rates. Often these have high school teacher rates as well. It never hurts to ask.

What I've found is that it's a domino effect. It can take knocking on a few doors to find one that opens for your child (and the more your child does the knocking and talking, the better), but once one does, others start opening more readily.

• Like 1

What does your son want? It is all well and good to look at options, but in the end it is his life. Is he introverted or extroverted? Is he comfortable being the outlier? Is he wanting the "college experience" or the more practical route? At 11, if he is even remotely considering early graduation, he should be able to speak to the things - no extremely articulately, but some.

the ideal undergrad school will be somewhere that students are allowed and encouraged to research, present, and publish, and where a large percentage of the work involves whole, living organisms who remain alive, healthy, and happy once the work is completed.

I realize this is somewhat of a thread derailment, but have you come up with a list of such schools? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it!

I realize this is somewhat of a thread derailment, but have you come up with a list of such schools? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it!

Here's the ones that have either had undergrad students doing research in interesting areas and presenting (mostly at things like SE PARC or the TN state conference), or who have suggested that DD check them out and mentioned that they do undergrad research (and that seem to do a lot of organismal work). Please remember that we're mostly looking at research presented at herpetology conferences (which isn't necessarily coming from programs labeled herpetology), so there are some schools with excellent reputations for undergrad research that may not be represented, and that DD is focused on snakes and frogs, so we tend to go to sessions on those two groups at national conferences (at state/regional, it's take what you can get).

Clairmont Consortium (Pomona seems to be where a lot of the herp work is coming out of)

Davidson

University of the South

Penn State (has undergraduate research grants that include funds for conference participation)

University of TN at Martin (interesting case-they don't have a grad program in bio at all, but actually offer quite a few grad classes in organismal and field bio in conjunction with UT Knoxville-UT Martin has their own field station, and the head of that program is an amazing field biologist)

Austin Peay State University

Cornell (again, has undergraduate research grants-but they're really, really competitive, even beyond getting into Cornell to start with!)

One thing I've noticed is that for the most part, schools that don't have a big graduate program seem to be friendlier for undergraduate research, and that the commonality seems to be that they have faculty who are very, very active in research. I also admit that my mental list is biased towards smaller schools, just because I think they'd be better for DD. I can just see her doing better at Suwanee vs Penn State, although her mentor is pushing hard for her to consider Cornell, because she says DD would thrive there.

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed is that for the most part, schools that don't have a big graduate program seem to be friendlier for undergraduate research, 

This was true for me.  I went to a small state university with a few Master's programs available.  They had a selective freshman fellowship program that put students to work with professors their first year.  I had the opportunity to do research in organic chemistry all three years I was there and even presented our work at an undergraduate research symposium my last year.