Menu

Exercise in pregnancy - Trampoline?

abba12

For the past year I have been using the kids trampoline for exercise, it's great, low impact and very good for the pelvic floor muscles. It also helps me with my mental health, I put in earbuds with music and it relaxes me a lot and allows me time, while moving, to process things.

Now I'm pregnant I'm wondering whether it's safe to continue. I wont be able to while I'm sick, but, I'm not sick yet and after the morning sickness fades I could until I get too big. I also usually have a good hour or two when I 'might' be able to in the middle of the day. I'm noticing a difference in my mental health already from a week or so not doing it, having more trouble with flashbacks and triggers etc. 

On one hand, I've heard that basically you can carefully continue any exercise your body is already used to before pregnancy, as long as you take it easy, and trampolining is low impact, because the mat takes much of the force, which makes it seem perfect in that regard. But on the other hand, it is a lot of downward pressure/force. But so is jogging right? But, trampolining seems different to jogging in the nature of that force.... Or maybe I'm just irrationally worrying about the baby dropping out lol. 

Anyone done it? Any opinions?

Edited to add: The trampoline is fully enclosed with a net and spring mats, there's no risk of injury from falling off. Also, I am not talking about tricks or high jumps, just bouncing mid-height or jogging on the bouncy surface mostly. Feet definitely leave mat, but I wouldn't go from a high jump into a sitting position or anything. 

• Like 1

I did about a thousand vertical miles of Stairmaster when I was pregnant with my oldest, and I just want to warn you about one potential hazard of trampolining:  when she was born, and for months thereafter, my daughter was so used to being bounced up and down that that's all that would soothe her.  DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS ON YOUR BACK TO STEP ONTO AND OFF OF A STEP HOLDING A BABY??  Yeah, I spent hours essentially doing a step aerobics class on the bottom step of my staircase.  I vowed then that, with my next baby, I would rock a lot.  And I did!  I also ran when I was pregnant with him, and it seemed to work, as he was well-soothed by walking--horizontal motion is much easier on your back.  So, all that is to say, do you want to be bouncing on a trampoline with a wailing infant in your arms?  Or perhaps your baby will be better than my oldest.  She was horrid, so that wouldn't be hard.  Sorry I have no actual advice on the trampolining.  I exercised a ton during both of my pregnancies (I ran a 10K at 38 weeks with my second) and thought it made pregnancy a breeze but, like you, vigorous trampolining would giving me pause.

• Like 1

I did about a thousand vertical miles of Stairmaster when I was pregnant with my oldest, and I just want to warn you about one potential hazard of trampolining:  when she was born, and for months thereafter, my daughter was so used to being bounced up and down that that's all that would soothe her.  DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS ON YOUR BACK TO STEP ONTO AND OFF OF A STEP HOLDING A BABY??  Yeah, I spent hours essentially doing a step aerobics class on the bottom step of my staircase.  I vowed then that, with my next baby, I would rock a lot.  And I did!  I also ran when I was pregnant with him, and it seemed to work, as he was well-soothed by walking--horizontal motion is much easier on your back.  So, all that is to say, do you want to be bouncing on a trampoline with a wailing infant in your arms?  Or perhaps your baby will be better than my oldest.  She was horrid, so that wouldn't be hard.  Sorry I have no actual advice on the trampolining.  I exercised a ton during both of my pregnancies (I ran a 10K at 38 weeks with my second) and thought it made pregnancy a breeze but, like you, vigorous trampolining would giving me pause.

Lol, I've had three bouncy babies regardless! These kids loved their bouncers and their jolly jumpers. 

Doc told me it was fine, as long as I wore a diaper ;)

As long as you're gentle with yourself, i was told it would be fine until your size messed with your center of gravity and made it dangerous due to a falling hazard. Not even falling OFF the tramp, but on it, and somehow getting injured.

I say bounce on, but incorporate something else to transition to when you get all huge!

• Like 1

I'm a fan of exercise while pregnant, and I even skied for the first few months. For some reason, I think the trampoline sounds dangerous. Maybe I'm paranoid?

That's the thing, something seems bad about it, but I can't put my finger on what! When I analyse it I can't see it being any worse than jogging, so long as you're careful and reasonable, but it seems different somehow, more dangerous for an unidentifiable reason. I can't seem to find a good reason why. 

Of course when I look online there's the 'you'll detatch your placenta, or shake the baby up, or stretch your muscles' thing, but that applies to running and jogging too, and comes down to fitness level before pregnancy if I understand correctly.

But I'm still hesitating....

That's the thing, something seems bad about it, but I can't put my finger on what! When I analyse it I can't see it being any worse than jogging, so long as you're careful and reasonable, but it seems different somehow, more dangerous for an unidentifiable reason. I can't seem to find a good reason why.

Of course when I look online there's the 'you'll detatch your placenta, or shake the baby up, or stretch your muscles' thing, but that applies to running and jogging too, and comes down to fitness level before pregnancy if I understand correctly.

But I'm still hesitating....

Our trampolines safety instruction include a ban on pregnant women which my kids think is hilarious for some reason. They probably err on the side of caution though

I also thought trampolining or anything too bouncy was bad for pelvic floor but if it's still going strong after three kids maybe you won't need to worry.

And as you get along in the pregnancy I don't even see it being comfortable. I'd be peeing with every other jump.

I also thought trampolining or anything too bouncy was bad for pelvic floor but if it's still going strong after three kids maybe you won't need to worry.

I've only been doing it since baby 3, but the reason I say it's good for pelvic floor (to my understanding) is the 'leakage' issue. When I started I wore a pad each time because I would pee a little each bounce. But, now, I can use it for a half hour and not a single leak. I can't say I really understand the pelvic floor but the message I seem to be getting from midwives is it's strength directly correlates with continence? If that's the case, then I TOTALLY recommend trampolining (while not pregnant) for people with leakage issues. 

I strongly suggest that you ask your OB-GYN about what you are doing. For a healthy woman, I believe certain kinds of exercise during pregnancy are very beneficial. I worry about the impact on the trampoline.  PLEASE discuss this with your OB-GYN!

When my wife was pregnant with DD we were going to a gym that carefully controls and supervises what the people do. My wife had to have a C section, and as I recall she went to the gym until a few days before the scheduled C section. My belief is that it helped her get through the surgery and recover more quickly.

Take good care of yourself and your baby!

I wouldn't use a trampoline.  I think it is probably too much jolting of the baby.  

When I was expecting dd5 I did water aerobics and Tai Chi.

I stopped water aerobics in the 9th month because it made the instructor nervous. :)  

I was in Tai Chi class up until a few days before she was born.  After the delivery, my ob said no exercise for 9 weeks.  Maybe 6 weeks (I can't remember).  I just looked at her and said "It's Tai Chi."  She said to wait 10 days.

You'll know when you can't anymore - when I was pregnant w/ DS, I was still coaching gymnastics and continued to jump on the tramp and tumbl trak and demonstrate skills until one day I was doing a handstand and it was apparent that DS was not amused in there. That was my last time upside down for awhile! My OB GYN was fine with me continuing to bounce on the tramp as long as it was comfortable. 

• Like 1

I think as long as you can do it without peeing or throwing up you can do it. My OB always advised me that I could continue doing any exercise I had been doing prior to my pregnancy as long as I felt able. I found I naturally starting slowing down on certain activities partway through my second trimester. I know some women run, spin, or do step aerobics all the way through their pregnancies but that was never me. By the end I was usually able to walk and even then I was slow.

On the flip side, if you are worried why not just exercise a different way and start bouncing again after the new baby arrives?