Menu

Throwback Thursday: How many of you took Analysis in high school?

Setting up a math sequence for high school has me walking down memory lane. Pre-Calc especially. I think our equivalent was Analysis. We also had Trig as a separate class. I remember the book and I think it was Dolciani. So I took Geometry freshman year, Trig and Alg II as a sophomore, Analysis junior and AP Calc senior year. Anyone else do this?

And for you math gurus, is there any appreciable difference between our "back in the day" classes and the Pre-Calc of today.

And yes, I am feeling a little nerdy that this is my throwback for the day:-)

• Like 1

We did a semester of Trig and a semester of Math Analysis the year before Calc.

All these courses cover basically the same stuff -- call it precalc, or stick the trig in with Alg II, or whatever else they're doing these days.  It doesn't make much difference.

We still have my husband's math analysis and trig books from high school, as well as "mine" (I picked up a math analysis copy used in recent years and I'd used the same one that he had for trig).  So I was able to look back and see what we'd done.  It's basically the same.  They've packaged it differently, that's all.  There are more pictures, and there are bios of mathematicians and scientists.  So the newer ones might be a bit more interesting.

We've been using a couple precalc books instead of the "classics" we have, but mostly because I was able to get teacher's editions that had answers to every problem instead of just the odd problems.

• Like 2

Central Virginia, public school, early 1980s:

9th -Geometry

10th - Alg 2/Trig

11th - Math Analysis

12th - Calculus

This was the advanced track (Algebra in 8th grade at the Middle School). My math teacher DH says Math Analysis is the equivalent of today's Pre Calc. I honestly can't remember what that class was about???

• Like 1

I think our high school just called it Trig. Not sure what else was included in that course. (Progression was Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig, Calculus for those who took algebra in eighth grade.). I graduated in 1995.

I didn't take math at our high school because I was in a special accelerated program, where we did one course each semester. Our progression was:

8th -- algebra 1, algebra 2

9th -- geometry, trig

10th -- statistics, precalculus

11th -- calculus A, calculus B (at a branch of a big university)

12th -- calculus C, whatever other math course the college offered that year (sometimes it was differential equations; sometimes it was something else, like linear algebra; I knew by senior year that I did not need more than the 8 credits of calculus I already had, so I petitioned, and received permission, to take math for elementary education 1 and 2).

I kind of vaguely remember analytical geometry being thrown in there somewhere, maybe in the title with trig. I also maybe remember a Dolciani book, but to be fair, my father was an AP calculus teacher for many years (and I really credit him for why I have only warm fuzzy thoughts about math!), so he often had math books around that he was perusing, so I might not be remembering a book I used.

ETA: Google tells me that the calculus courses had analytic geometry in the name. I still feel like I remember it being attached to trig somehow, maybe in the title of the book, but I don't know.

• Like 1

I think our high school just called it Trig. Not sure what else was included in that course. (Progression was Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig, Calculus for those who took algebra in eighth grade.). I graduated in 1995.

Oooh, that was mine. Same grad year and everything. I would have done the Calc A, B, C (known here as Calc 1 and 2) had I been in California, but I left.

• Like 1

My sequence was:

8th - Algebra I

9th - Algebra II

10th - Geometry

11th - Elementary Functions  (affectionately known to students as, "El Funk")

12th - AP Calculus

I didn't have anything with the word "Analysis" until upper division college -- "Real Number Analysis I & II" -- *shudder*

ETA:  I actually pulled out my high school transcript to look this up.  This was public school in Pennsylvania in the late 1980's.

Exactly the same sequence & course names for me, also in a PA public school. Here in central VA, precalc is called Math Analysis.

The course after Algebra 2 at my high school was called Trig/Math Analysis. It was the equivalent of what is now called pre-calc and after it was calc, but only a very few people got to calc. There were 25 of us that were allowed to take Algebra in 8th grade, skipping pre-algebra. With a graduating class of just over 300, I think less than 10 took calc. I wasn't among them. I did dual enrollment my senior year instead.

11th - Elementary Functions  (affectionately known to students as, "El Funk")

The college I went to taught Pre-Calc under the name Elementary Functions (and still does). That is the only place I've ever heard that title. It is good to know it is taught somewhere else. :)

I think I must be older than many of you and that attending an all-girls Catholic school on the West coast outside of California maybe dictated the woefully inadequate math sequence:

9th - Algebra 1

10th  - Geometry

11th - Algebra 2

12th - Trig/Precalculus

I have no idea what the "advanced" math students took other than the first three classes were offered in "A" or "B" sections with "A" being advanced. Calculus could be taken at the Catholic all-boys school as could Physics.

We had Pre-Calc with Trig (late 80s/early 90s / farm country) between Alg II and Calc. Never heard of Analysis in terms of a math class.

You're young. :)  I graduated in '82.  We had Alg2/Trig, then Trig/Analytic Geometry, then Calculus. 

Is Analytic Geometry the same as what Analysis is (I'm thinking yes??)

I think I must be older than many of you and that attending an all-girls Catholic school on the West coast outside of California maybe dictated the woefully inadequate math sequence:

9th - Algebra 1

10th - Geometry

11th - Algebra 2

12th - Trig/Precalculus

I have no idea what the "advanced" math students took other than the first three classes were offered in "A" or "B" sections with "A" being advanced. Calculus could be taken at the Catholic all-boys school as could Physics.

I don't think it was that uncommon. In our grad class of about 300, I remember having only about 15 people in our AP Calc, and it was because we were tapped in 8th for an advanced math sequence. So I don't even know if other kids were even aware that we were going to that class, lol. It definitely wasn't advertised:-)

And I think you might be right, Matroyshka, that is would be the same thing as Analytic Geometry.

Edited to change grad class from 33 to 300ðŸ˜

Setting up a math sequence for high school has me walking down memory lane. Pre-Calc especially. I think our equivalent was Analysis. We also had Trig as a separate class. I remember the book and I think it was Dolciani. So I took Geometry freshman year, Trig and Alg II as a sophomore, Analysis junior and AP Calc senior year. Anyone else do this?

And for you math gurus, is there any appreciable difference between our "back in the day" classes and the Pre-Calc of today.

And yes, I am feeling a little nerdy that this is my throwback for the day:-)

They had Trigonometry(sp?)/Analytic Geometry the year before Calculus when I was in school. By the time my sister was in school (2 years later) they called it Pre-Calculus.  Same teachers, same place in the sequence, etc.

Oh and I was able to take Geometry in summer school (Another way to get many math courses in to less time)

My 11th grade math was Math Analysis, abbreviated Math Anal. on our schedules, which we thought was just hilarious. It covered pre-calc and trig. 

Yes, in graduate school we took Real Analysis and Complex Analysis. One year the (non-native-English-speaking) department chair put out a suggested course schedule that included Real Anal. and Complex Anal. listed as suggested first-year courses. This caused an immense amount of snickering among the graduate students, and the next year (after the secretary discussed it with him) it was listed as Real An. and Complex An. 

• Like 3

Yes, in graduate school we took Real Analysis and Complex Analysis. One year the (non-native-English-speaking) department chair put out a suggested course schedule that included Real Anal. and Complex Anal. listed as suggested first-year courses. This caused an immense amount of snickering among the graduate students, and the next year (after the secretary discussed it with him) it was listed as Real An. and Complex An.

:rollingonthefloorlaughing:

I just came back from a very sad meeting with a friend, and this post was welcome comic relief. I thank you:-)

Looks like I took:

9th Algebra 3

10th Accelerated Geometry

11th Accelerated Analysis 1-2

12th AP Calculus

What a memory trip.  I can't imagine the Algebra 3 was what it sounds like.  It was probably more like what we call Algebra 1 today.  I don't remember what I took in junior high.  I also have no idea what we covered in analysis 1-2 or what text we used.  I didn't realize until I looked at my transcript that the names for my 9th anbd 11th grade math courses were so wonky.

• Like 1

Yes, Math Analysis junior year.  I have very clear memories of the teacher, but don't remember much about the course itself.  The only thing I now for sure is it didn't cover trig.  I never took a class that covered trig.

There were no AP math courses at my high school.

8th: algebra 1

9th: geometry (shudder... the teacher AND the course)

10th: algebra 2

11th: math analysis

12th: calculus

There were two juniors in my calculus class.  I don't know what they did senior year, because the school didn't offer any classes above calculus.  This was before dual enrollment in my state so... maybe they didn't take math senior year?

When DH was first in college, Comparative Literature courses were abbreviated CLIT. By the time I arrived two years later, they had changed them to be CMLIT.