Menu

My MIL Spoils Me....

smudge

She really does. I tease DH that she loves me more than him! Anyway, it makes her happy to give gifts. My birthday is the end of October, then 2 months later it's Christmas. She likes us to load up our amazon wishlists with things we want. Here is my problem.

I am a simple gal. Not really into music. Don't have a lot of time to read, so I don't want books piling up. I have no hobbies, other than sewing and knitting and I have all the stuff for that. Not fashionable, not a clothes horse. 

So dear Hive- give me ideas. What should I ask for?  :lol:

That's tough. I'm a zero on the gifts as love language thing. And a minimalist. I suck at giving and receiving physical gifts.

Would she be open to service type gift certificates, instead? I ask for massages in gift-receiving situations. Or for my kids: experiences. Theme park tickets snd such.

• Like 2

seconding experiences like theme park tickets, museum/zoo year-passes, etc. 

Also, consumables are great for people who want little. My husband buys me a tub of fancy bath bombs from lush every year for christmas. My mother in law loves dark chocolate so this year we are getting her some gourmet chocolate coated nuts and fruits.

Or, is there a new hobby youd like to try? some quality pencils for drawing? A type of embroidery or needlework? 

On the experiences thing, local venues put out schedules for the year in August. I get stuff from a couple of theaters in the summer and some companies have me on their mailing list. If you aren't getting this information early, I'd contact some theaters, including ones at nearby colleges and see what they have coming for the year. There may be national touring company of a show you are interested in coming in February. There maybe smaller and less expensive groups performing a variety of things (plays, all genres of music and dance, ect). Also, check out local community theaters and see what performances are coming up for the year. Besides stuff that you like you may find things that would be great fieldtrips for your homeschool.

If you look at passes to museums and parks, consider some places that are not so obvious. Small regional parks may have opportunities you never considered. There might be a historical society that maintains some properties in your area that you haven't known about. It might be fun to have things like that thrown in with usual trips you take.

Sorry these things aren't on Amazon, but you can research them on the Internet and make a list with contact info to give to MIL along with a small list of things.

• Like 1

I'd go with practical. Things that you would like to replace with newer or higher quality items, but that you can't really justify spending the money on (towels, sheets, etc). Or, if she prefers to spend more money, practical luxuries like a high end food processor, Le Creuset specialty pans, etc.

Or gift cards to be put toward something large that you're saving up for.

• Like 1

You guys have given me several great ideas! I had just come to a dead end after 14 years of Christmas and Birthdays. DHs family is funny, they have very strong feelings against gift cards.

But Symphony tickets is an excellent idea, I was thinking the other day I should take the girls to the Symphoby!!

She has given me a Blentec, and a KitchenAid 6qt professional stand Mixer in the past. I just don't need a bunch of stuff. But your ideas so far have been wonderful!

As a sewist who never had money for all the "fun" tools when I was younger, there are tons of sewing supplies on Amazon that I would love to have, or have purchased in the past few years.

Search for Clover on Amazon for starters, but here are some of my recent favorites

nancy Zieman's 4 in 1 tool is more than a hem gage and it doesn't break or bend like the metal ones do!

Leather Thimble 

Wonder clips

Bodkins

Chaco liners and refills

bias tape makers

Magnetic pin holder with cover

Seam Fix - seam ripper and thread remover - amazing!

Mini iron

Snap pliers for putting snaps

Handi Bobs - bobbin gadget clips to thread spools to match up bobbins with thread

Thread racks by June tailor - hangs on wall

Prescision stilleto - holds fabric in place while sewing, also use it as a turning tool

Point turner

Pressing hams

vacum attachment for cleaning inside machines

• Like 1

Probably already said...

Tickets to something (symphony, opera, play, etc...)

Restaurant gift cards

Good chocolate

Coffee shop gift cards

$ for a class (art, yoga, cooking, etc...)

A fun piece of clothing (funky scarf for winter, funny printed tee, etc...)

Magazine subscription

Donation to a charity of my choice

Bird seed (I always as for big bags of this at holidays as we have a lot of bird feeders & I love watching the birds, lol)

Amazon has a tool that lets you clip items from other sites and add them to your wish list.

Perhaps you can use it to add some theatre tickets or something?

It's called the Universal Wish List, and it's a browser extension. I've used to add things--including links to tickets for shows--so that everything is still in one place.