Menu

What US beach would you like to go to in January?

klmama

Hawaii? Florida keys? Miami? FT Lauderdale? As far south as possible if you hope for any warmth. San Diego isnt warm enough for swimming, imo. You could sit in the beach, but the water is cold. Pools at WDW. Those suckers are well heated, although it's not beach. There are fake beaches in WDW.

• Like 1

I live in the Clearwater, FL area.  We can go to the beach in January, but not with real predictability.  The water is a bit - brisk? And sometimes the weather is a little breezy and cool (as in the 60-65 degree range, LOL).  If coming to FL I would definitely go farther south if you are looking for true summery weather.  (South as in Ft. Myers/Naples on the west coast, Miami or Keys on the east).

• Like 1

Somewhere on the island of Puerto Rico.  While technically not in the USA, the U.S. Dollar is the currency there.  I remember going into the water on the beach in my hotel, near the San Juan Airport, many years ago. It was warm, like a bathtub.  I didn't want to get out of the water!

I cannot think of any place on the mainland that would be that dependable in January. Possibly, if you were incredibly lucky, it would be warm on the Gulf Beaches in NW Florida, and, in the water,  but I wouldn't count on that.  Hawaii is another possibility, but I do not remember the water there being like the water in San Juan.

Think Caribbean Sea...

Check out anything you are interested in on TripAdvisor.

I live in the Clearwater, FL area.  We can go to the beach in January, but not with real predictability.  The water is a bit - brisk? And sometimes the weather is a little breezy and cool (as in the 60-65 degree range, LOL).  If coming to FL I would definitely go farther south if you are looking for true summery weather.  (South as in Ft. Myers/Naples on the west coast, Miami or Keys on the east).

I went to the beaches in Clearwater area in January but I'm a crazy Northerner who swims in stone quarries in late Spring.  My pick is Fort DeSoto any time of year.

• Like 1

I went to the beaches in Clearwater area in January but I'm a crazy Northerner who swims in stone quarries in late Spring.  My pick is Fort DeSoto any time of year.

I was like that when we first moved here.  Now if the temperature "dips" into the high sixties I am pulling out sweaters and a jacket, and we build a fire in the fireplace.  LOL.  Funny how that works :lol:

• Like 1

Somewhere on the island of Puerto Rico.  While technically not in the USA, the U.S. Dollar is the currency there.  I remember going into the water on the beach in my hotel, near the San Juan Airport, many years ago. It was warm, like a bathtub.  I didn't want to get out of the water!

Um, Puerto Rico is very much part of the US, technically and otherwise.  As are the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Marinara Islands.  They're just territories rather than states.  The people living there are US citizens.

• Like 2

It depends if you want to swim or not and how cold tolerant you are of the water.

Hawaii works ANY time and in winter there's a bonus that you can see the whales that migrate there. Spinner dolphins are also around - they are super fun to watch.  My first vote if it works for you would be Hawaii... and with that, Kauai has oodles of nice beaches to discover.  Snorkeling is also often nice at many of them.  On Oahu we like Kailua Beach a ton, but not for snorkeling.  We never found good snorkeling on Oahu (by comparison to the other islands - there is a spot, but it's quite crowded).  The North Shore is also nice, but more for walking than swimming.  The Big Island has a gorgeous black sand beach near it's south point - and another up in the northwest.  Otherwise, its beaches are smaller - though usually good for snorkeling.  It's less crowded in general and less expensive if on a budget.  A bonus is you could also take a day to explore Volcanoes National Park.

In FL?  Walking beaches are nice at Ft Desoto (already named), Clearwater, Madiera Beach, St Pete Beach, and even over on the east coast at St Augustine, but at all of them the water is too cold for us in Jan and there really isn't decent snorkeling.  If you like collecting seashells, you want to be on the Gulf Coast rather than the Atlantic.  Without shells is preferable for me feet... but none of my guys care.  They have tougher feet than I do.

Once you get down to the Keys the water warms up, but the beaches are shorter.  Snorkeling is ok.  Check out Bahia Honda.

Anywhere farther north is going to be cold... probably not what you are looking for with "beach."  We have gone to Ocean City in MD in winter and enjoyed walking, but most everything is closed (something we don't mind).

We've never been to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, but without passports you can consider those as well.

To me the water is much too cold in January in most of Florida. However, we often see tourists in the water that time of year so depending on where you're from it might not be too cold for you.

Maybe it will be warm enough in the Keys. Puerto Rico might be okay too. If I was going to the beach in January though and could go anywhere, I'd probably pick Hawaii.

• Like 2

Talking to a person who swims in the Great Lakes and as a kid, dipped in Lake Superior, LOL so keep that in mind when I say I've very comfortably enjoyed the beach on Merritt Island, FL., Palm Bay, and Tampa/St. Pete in the dead of winter. Positively Balmy!

Long Key Island in the Keys is nice and stays 75-80 usually during Dec./Jan.

I would probably watch for a deal on Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands though if I really wanted to be assured of super nice temps and balmy water.

Taking to a person who swims in the Great Lakes and as a kid, dipped in Lake Superior, LOL so keep that in mind when I say I've very comfortably enjoyed the beach on Merritt Island, FL., Palm Bay, and Tampa/St. Pete in the dead of winter. Positively Balmy!

Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral or Melbourne Beach maybe? Palm Bay is on the mainland and Merritt Island is between the mainland and the beaches. No beach in either city, but nice beaches near both.

Captiva or Sanibel

This would get my vote. It's a quiet island with excellent restaurants and local shops. Captiva Resort has every amenity and Sanibel has wonderful houses and low-story condos. No high rises, no big box stores, no fast food restaurants (except Dairy Queen which came on way back) and no gaudy t-shirt shops. It has great fishing and is well-known for shelling. Across the causeway, you have access to a small city. There's an airport nearby, Naples is a short drive and you could even take a day trip to Everglades National Park. Real Florida at its best. 

ETA: There are other beautiful Florida beaches but this one will be warm in January. Only place warmer would be the tip of the Keys or PR. 

Um, Puerto Rico is very much part of the US, technically and otherwise.  As are the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Marinara Islands.  They're just territories rather than states.  The people living there are US citizens.

P.R. has a different status than the other places you listed. Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the United States.  Yes, people who were born on P.R. are U.S. Citizens. I have friends who live there and I have been there.  P.R. is not a "territory" of the U.S. The legal implications of the Commonwealth status complicate or prevent a financial rescue of P.R. (or Bankruptcy)  that might be possible if it were a State or a Territory.

OP:  This thread was quite interesting to me because our "October 2015" trip to Orlando will probably be pushed back into December or January. When I look at the average temperatures at that time of the year, it will be fine for Epcot and Kennedy Space Center, we can wear light jackets, if necessary,  but probably will be too cold to go with my wife and DD to a beach, on either coast.

Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral or Melbourne Beach maybe? Palm Bay is on the mainland and Merritt Island is between the mainland and the beaches. No beach in either city, but nice beaches near both.

Sorry, my inlaws lived on M.I and Palm Bay so I tend to think of our beach excursions in relation to staying with them. Oops....Cocoa Beach when they were in Merritt I. and even though they had a Palm Bay address, their house wad just across U.S. 1 and about a mile from a nice park on the water but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it....him must search through my brain cobwebs.

We spent more time on Cocoa Beach than the other though because they only lived in Palm Bay a short time.

• Like 1

OP:  This thread was quite interesting to me because our "October 2015" trip to Orlando will probably be pushed back into December or January. When I look at the average temperatures at that time of the year, it will be fine for Epcot and Kennedy Space Center, we can wear light jackets, if necessary,  but probably will be too cold to go with my wife and DD to a beach, on either coast.

Lanny, I live in Clearwater, which is directly across the state from the beaches one would go to if one was in Orlando (I'm thinking Cocoa Beach).  We go to the beach year round and even swim in the Gulf year round.  So it is possible.  I would not plan a beach-centric vacation at those times because I don't think it would be worth it but if I was going to Disney I would definitely plan for one day at the beach. Chances are, during any given week, there will be at least one decent beach day (probably not a week's worth). 

Hope that helps.

Lanny, I live in Clearwater, which is directly across the state from the beaches one would go to if one was in Orlando (I'm thinking Cocoa Beach).  We go to the beach year round and even swim in the Gulf year round.  So it is possible.  I would not plan a beach-centric vacation at those times because I don't think it would be worth it but if I was going to Disney I would definitely plan for one day at the beach. Chances are, during any given week, there will be at least one decent beach day (probably not a week's worth). 

Hope that helps.

I suspect Gulf beaches are warmer at that time of year than Atlantic beaches at the same latitude. Is that correct. I still think beach weather is iffy for January in central Florida. 

• Like 1

I suspect Gulf beaches are warmer at that time of year than Atlantic beaches at the same latitude. Is that correct. I still think beach weather is iffy for January in central Florida.

Let me help you. Come to Michigan now, and we'll drive up to Marquette. Hold your breath, leap into Lake Superior, and stay under as long as you can. Central Florida water in January will never feel cold again!