Menu

How to let family criticism roll off you??

HSmomof2

I've posted before about our dc (10 & 12) attending ps last year and it not being a very good experience academically or socially for either, especially ds in middle school. Dh and I decided to homeschool again this year. Even though we've done it in the past, the kids are academically ahead, and they had a decent social life when we hs'ed, I am still feeling very unsure about our decision, nervous, and not too enthusiastic. Especially with ds only 2 yrs from high school. We don't see any other real options, though. Private school is financially out of reach, and ds returning to the middle school is a bad idea for his mental health and academic progress.

Anyway, I've put off telling my parents (they live close by and watch dc when I work 1-2 afternoons/week), because I knew they'd flip when I told them. With ps starting very soon, I had to tell them. And they did flip out as expected. They said some mean and hurtful things about it being 'the worst decision I could possibly make', 'they'll have no friends', 'they need to be around peers daily at their age', 'ds just needs to suck it up, grow up and learn to deal with mean kids', etc.

I remained calm, told them I was only informing them of our decision, not asking for permission or approval. And that I've heard their opinion and am not interested in discussing it again. So, though, I didn't show it, their reaction has really shaken me because I'm so unsure myself. We are slowly getting reconnected with homeschool friends and groups, but summer is hard, and my work schedule causes us to miss things, too. (I wasn't working when we hs'ed before, but it isn't optional now). Dh is totally on board and doesn't understand my hesitation and fear. I don't either, really. Any suggestions on how to get my enthusiasm and confidence back? And how to not let negative comments bother me so much?

• Like 1

I would not have your parents watch your dc anymore. That's how I'd handle what you've described I'd check with some other homeschoolers and see if anyone could trade off either you.

I'm sorry I'm not giving advice about generally feeling positive. What you describe just gives me a very bad feeling about how they may interact with the dc in general.

• Like 18

What Diana said.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to contemplate cutting off such vital support as the grandparents, especially since they're part of your childcare solution.

But I remember when you shared how your child's resentment toward hs'ing was probably fueled by negative talk from others. If that's what happened I'm not sure you can afford anti homeschool childcare. The money you save is offset by the confusion and negativity that make hs'ing even harder.

• Like 12

Declare this the year to find your self-esteem and avoid people -no matter who they are- who seek to destroy it.  Also, consider whether it would be better for the children to be alone for a few hours each day rather than with someone who is ulimately destructive to them and you.  I had to do this last year and it has been very hard, but my kids are happier day to day and so am I. I am sad that the person in my life who caused the distress couldn't change and had to be removed from our lives, but my priority is to take care of my children. 

To break the malaise, find some curricula that you feel good about using; research high school requirements for your state and start looking at options.  I think once you find out how many great resources and methods there are to teach, you'll start to feel better.   

• Like 4

I would not have your parents watch your dc anymore. That's how I'd handle what you've described I'd check with some other homeschoolers and see if anyone could trade off either you.

I'm sorry I'm not giving advice about generally feeling positive. What you describe just gives me a very bad feeling about how they may interact with the dc in general.

I agree. That's bad boundary-crossing behavior. If they want to spend time with you and the kids, THEY need an attitude adjustment, not you. You're bristling for very good reason. No need to let them continue to abuse you or sabotage your parenting decisions.

At 10 and 12, can they stay home in the afternoon for a few hours? Mine do at those ages.

• Like 4

I've posted before about our dc (10 & 12) attending ps last year and it not being a very good experience academically or socially for either, especially ds in middle school. Dh and I decided to homeschool again this year. Even though we've done it in the past, the kids are academically ahead, and they had a decent social life when we hs'ed, I am still feeling very unsure about our decision, nervous, and not too enthusiastic. Especially with ds only 2 yrs from high school. We don't see any other real options, though. Private school is financially out of reach, and ds returning to the middle school is a bad idea for his mental health and academic progress.

Anyway, I've put off telling my parents (they live close by and watch dc when I work 1-2 afternoons/week), because I knew they'd flip when I told them. With ps starting very soon, I had to tell them. And they did flip out as expected. They said some mean and hurtful things about it being 'the worst decision I could possibly make', 'they'll have no friends', 'they need to be around peers daily at their age', 'ds just needs to suck it up, grow up and learn to deal with mean kids', etc.

I remained calm, told them I was only informing them of our decision, not asking for permission or approval. And that I've heard their opinion and am not interested in discussing it again. So, though, I didn't show it, their reaction has really shaken me because I'm so unsure myself. We are slowly getting reconnected with homeschool friends and groups, but summer is hard, and my work schedule causes us to miss things, too. (I wasn't working when we hs'ed before, but it isn't optional now). Dh is totally on board and doesn't understand my hesitation and fear. I don't either, really. Any suggestions on how to get my enthusiasm and confidence back? And how to not let negative comments bother me so much?

I'm sorry. That really stinks. I endured a lot of Stinkeye in the first couple of years, but it was rare that a family member went no-holds-barred on me. The few times that happened, I did remain calm in the moment, but it hurt me a lot in fact.

A few things that help me: one, write down everything you would have liked to say in a safe notebook. Swear, cuss, call them an awful person, say whatever you like on the safe notebook paper. Also build your argument for yourself as firmly as you want. Write the Ten biggest reasons you think this is best for your family. Writing it will help reinforce your own reasons. This is not preparation for what you will say later; chances are good they will never "hear" you, even if your case is rock-solid. It's just fueling your own confidence.

If/when more is said about it by them, aim to go into Computer mode. Say a vague and simple sentence or two and exude calm, even if your heart is actually pounding. "Many families raise children successfully in a homeschool setting." Or something equally bland and unemotional. Don't let your voice tone elevate; just channel Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. ;)

Best of luck. It all worked out for me - either my critics came around (one actually became a hser), or they chalked me up as a weirdo and I chalked them up as a bully and we mostly stopped interacting about it.

• Like 7

I've had to be very firm this year with standing my ground about this issue with various relatives and friends. In my situation, with my kith and kin, it helps tremendously if you are not shy of telling others that they can take their destructive and negative comments to the brink of hell and leave them there for all you care.

I have no sage advice, when I see that a conversation is just the vehicle someone is using to attack me over a reasoned decision that I've made for my kids, I invite them to go f--k themselves. Sorry, but its the only thing that works for some of the people that I know.

I think you're luck in that your kids are the perfect age to stay home alone.

• Like 5

(((hugs)))

You already started with a great response to their concerns when you said and did this: "I remained calm, told them I was only informing them of our decision, not asking for permission or approval. And that I've heard their opinion and am not interested in discussing it again." :thumbup:

Time will help. Success will help build your confidence and deflect their criticism. My MIL has come around completely on homeschooling, from criticism to praise. Realize that just because their first comments were negative, that doesn't mean they'll always think negative things about your homeschooling. When taken by surprise, people don't always come up with the best wording to express themselves and they may not always "self-edit" comments that they might otherwise keep to themselves.

In the meantime, realize that they love their grandchildren and this criticism and worry about your educational decision is their way of communicating that they care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't care how you decide to educate their grandchildren. Grandparents are entitled to have opinions--but wise grandparents will learn when to express them and when to keep quiet. When you brought up homeschooling at a topic, they discussed their opinion with you. If you don't bring up homeschooling again, you are less likely to continue to hear their criticism. And if they bring it up, you don't have to engage in the conversation. You've already said that you won't, so stick with that plan. 

Realize that some of their fears and worries be a result of their great involvement in their grandchildren's lives.  They may feel (rightly or wrongly) that this decision will have direct impact on them since they watch the children on days that you work. This decision takes them out of their comfort zone. They didn't sign up for homeschooling. Now that you have, they are the involved grandparents of two homeschooled children. Face it--homeschooling is likely to affect on their lives at least on some level. Brick and Mortar schools usually have concerts, plays, Grandparents' Day, and other things that your parents may have liked attending. Maybe you can get excited about music lessons or plays or find something else that will give your parents a chance to see their grandchildren perform. It sounds like they really love their grandchildren--and if you accept that they were motivated by love, it may be easier to take. If they bring up your homeschooling again in a negative way, besides tell them the topic isn't up for discussion, you can also tell them that you're thankful that they are involved in your children's lives.

I will also add, that if the option of private high school is only off the table due to finances, many grandparents fund their grandchildren's private high school. (Some pay for music lessons, or other things too.) As high school draws closer, perhaps your parents want to have a say in how your child is educated to the point that may be willing to pay for private high school. I'm not saying that to discourage you from homeschooling! 

• Like 4

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

ITA with everyone else who said not to allow your dc to stay with your parents any longer. If your parents ask why, tell them bluntly that you cannot trust them to support your decision.

You can only get back your enthusiasm and confidence by looking ahead and not behind. Brush the dirt off your feet and move on. And don't worry about the hs activities you'll miss. Your dc will survive just fine, as long as you keep a cheerful face when talking to your dc about it.

• Like 6

I have "my way is the RIGHT and ONLY way" family members.  I remind myself, continuously, that they say these things because they love me and my family and want what's best for us, but they're not my kid's parents.  You've already very kindly and firmly let them know it's not up for discussion, and if they're incapable of letting it go, I would avoid spending time with them.  

There's a line of thinking in some Christian circles that if you've made the "right" decision - according to God - you'll be at peace.  Perhaps I'm just not a good enough Christian, but I've not found this to be true :)  I've found some measure of comfort in knowing I've made the best decision for my family with the information I have, but I think that some level of worry is helpful to keep me from becoming complacent.  The saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but sometimes things are broke but you're so deep into it that you can't/don't realize how badly broken it is.  You're going into this with your eyes wide open about the possible challenges you could face, and it sounds like you've already come up with ideas to meet them head on.  You've done this before and you can do it again!  And look, worst case, if things go pear-shaped, the school is always there ;)

• Like 1

I haven't read other answers.  Honestly, I would consider having them less integral to your children's lives.  I would find other childcare options.  I would make my relationship with them more superficial and walk out or hang up if they start criticizing your decisions.  "I am an adult.  DH and I have discussed all aspects thoroughly and made the best decision for us at this time.  It's not up for discussion.  I am leaving now.".  Each and every time.  

• Like 2

Why don't you make it a drinking game? Or devise a point system? You get ice cream for every tenth unsolicited criticism! You win either way :-)

• Like 4

I think you handled it well.  But you have to genuinely stop giving a cr*p about what anyone thinks, and then the criticisms will roll off your back without effort.  I think it helps to be confident in your decision to homeschool.  For Christmas, gift them a copy of "Hold Onto Your Kids: Why Parents Need To Matter More Than Peers".

ETA:  If finances are that only thing that keeps you from sending them to private school, you could offer to send them to private school if the in-laws would fund such an adventure.  IOW, they can put up or shut up.

• Like 5

Oh, this rings a bell, now that you mention it.  Yeah, find new childcare.

What Diana said.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to contemplate cutting off such vital support as the grandparents, especially since they're part of your childcare solution.

But I remember when you shared how your child's resentment toward hs'ing was probably fueled by negative talk from others. If that's what happened I'm not sure you can afford anti homeschool childcare. The money you save is offset by the confusion and negativity that make hs'ing even harder.

• Like 2

I remained calm, told them I was only informing them of our decision, not asking for permission or approval.   good for you.  

And how to not let negative comments bother me so much?

when you come to the point their opinion doesn't matter, negative comments won't bother you. (positive comments will also elicit a "whatever".)  iow: their  opinion is important to you, that's why the negative bothers you.  only you can decide if their opinions should be important to you or not.  are they opinions that lead to being a better person?  or are they opinions that lead to them wanting to control you?

• Like 3

Why don't you make it a drinking game? Or devise a point system? You get ice cream for every tenth unsolicited criticism! You win either way :-)

how is ingesting a larger amount of calories because someone else is being a jerk a "win"?

I had a similar experience, though in my case with a new to the family member (sister's fiance). It really upset me. I think mostly because I'm not 100% sure I'm doing the right thing homeschooling one of mine. I don't want to look back and regret. His twin needs to be homeschooled, and I got equal criticism/attack with that one. That rolled off me more. 

Anyway, I get it.

In my case I set clear boundaries and the person crossed them again. I put big distance, which I intend to maintain. I hate that. The whole thing. But for my mental health  (I'm still upset by the last interaction conversation) and the good of my kids (it was bad for them too/long story), we have to have distance with this person and my sister.

I'm not sure how to get the confidence and etc., though. I'm not there myself.

I'm really sorry.

• Like 2

If you think interacting is inevitable because you live close, it isn't. I live a mile from my parents and have had limited interaction for a while. We didn't do holidays with them this year. the reasons are long and complicated, i didn't outright say we won't see them we just made other plans. Occassionally, I stop by and say hi, but I really limit contact.

As for your babysitting issues, how many hours are not covered. If it's just a couple hours you can start having your kids stay on their own. If it's longer chunks I'd look at adjusting work hours and dh's work hours to minimize time alone. I'd start having them be on their own for short periods and work up to longer.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your encouraging words and suggestions. (And, Gil, I won't, but how I would sometimes just love to tell them exactly where to go. 😉That's usually what dh would like to say when he's frustrated with them as well.)We will talk about alternate childcare arrangements, or dc would probably be fine staying home. It's only about 3 hrs once or twice a week in the afternoon. I also got some lab work back this afternoon, and my thyroid is low, as well as my ferritin. My endo is adjusting my thyroid meds and putting me on iron. So, that may help explain some of my 'blah'-ness.

Dc and I went grocery shopping today. On the way, ds told me he heard what my dad said about him needing to 'buck up, grow up and learn to deal with mean kids'. Ds's response was, 'he's exactly the kind of jerk I'm trying to stay away from. Obviously, going to school didn't help his social skills.' I'm angry ds heard what he said, but glad he has good perspective on it. Definitely time to re-draw some boundaries with my parents.

They would never pay for private school. They could, but they don't think there's any reason not to go to public school. Truly, they have no idea how much schools have changed since the 1960's. They weren't involved in the schools at all when I was in school. I didn't have a horrible experience, but they would have been shocked at some of the things that went on even 20 years ago. My sister and I never told them anything.

We are signed up for a large co-op. Dc will have choir and drama there, so they will get to be in performances. Dd also does dance and ds music lessons. So, the grandparents have plenty of times to see them participating in things. I wish my mil lived nearby, but she's across the country. She is very supportive of homeschooling. Actually, she is supportive of letting us be adults and trust we are trying to make the best decisions for our family.

• Like 8

Honestly, I wouldn't think private school was the answer anyway. Kids get bullied in private school. I've learned from friends and my own experience that private schools have less safeguards than public schools regarding bullying behavior.

Just forget that option and know you are doing the right thing homeschooling and not having family involved.

• Like 1

Thick skin. You need very thick skin.

You already addressed what they said and no further comment is necessary.

Remind yourself that they are saying these things because they care and they are concerned and they love their grandchildren. Not to undermine you (even though it feels that way).

Arrange alternative childcare if possible.

The issue is that they struck your insecurity nerve with their comments. We all have one. My oldest is getting ready to apply to college and all I can think of are all the ways I failed these past few years and how I have ruined his life and how my inlaws can't wait to crow about how they were right all along. Which they are not. That is my baggage.

Deep breaths. You can do this. It is one year, not a lifetime commitment. You can reevaluate along the way.

• Like 1

Big Hugs! It is so easy to doubt ourselves when someone in authority questions us, even when they have no real authority anymore. 

My opinion - on kids should learn how to deal with bullies - nope - I do not deal with bullies as an adult. I remember having a conversation with a friend who put her kid in public middle school because she felt he was too wimply and needed to learn to deal with bullies. I thought, why? Dealing with bullies is not something I encounter as an adult at all. I guess if your kid is preparing for gang or prison life they would need street skills to learn how to deal with a bully and mean people. As an adult, I have discovered that mean people usually get their justice all on their own.

Your kids will be fine home once or twice a week for two - three hours. You have them in a co-op for lots of social interaction. Do you go to church or synagogue with an active youth group? Or have a great scouting program nearby? There are so many ways for kids to socialize. And since when do people think it is the school's job to socialize kids; isn't the school's job to educate them? 

• Like 1

I have a pretty thick skin in general, but sometimes even little comments from family can bother me for months.

Disregard this if it's not helpful to you, but I've found meditation on Scripture to be one of the best remedies.  "Love is patient, love is kind, love is not provoked, love does not take into account a wrong suffered."  Or there is always, "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him."   :D 

You're the mom.  You're doing what's best for your family.  Hold on to that.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I'm sorry you have that going on.

Your kids will be fine.  Trust me.  There are pros and cons in every family's situation, whether they are homeschooled or not.  Probably most of us who have homeschooled our children had times of uncertainty, just as parents who send their children to PS have uncertainties about other issues with their children.  In the end, once they're off to college or careers or whatever, they'll all be at the same place.

In the meantime, remain calm and cool about it around your kids.  I would be adamant about keeping my kids only in environments that are positive about homeschooling right now.  Can you work up the gumption to tell your parents something like:   "I do want you to be part of their lives, but I cannot allow you to be negative about our homeschooling decision, either with me or my kids."

Do you want them to be part of their lives?  Or are they generally a negative influence (not just regarding homeschooling).  If you do, could you give them a homeschool project they could do with your kids?  A science project, or art projects they could do with your kids once week?  Invite them to a homeschool group function so they can see all the other families who homeschool?

Otherwise, if your kids are 10 and 12, perhaps they can stay home alone for one afternoon/ week.  You can give them specific projects to work on while you're gone.