Menu

What are you reading?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I can't believe I'm going to admit this here, but--I have to preface it with, my brother is still quite ill (he is schizophrenic, well, schizoeffective), and has just been released from the hosp because he took his meds for two days, but stopped immediately, and I'm so worried, I can't sleep at all, I've had a massive headache for 5 days that won't go away at all, and did I mention I am TIRED! And I had to do our co-op meeting, and our local hs group meeting today, and I'm TIRED!!!

So, here goes--I'm reading every single one of my daughter's Archie comic books that I can find. Did I really just say that?

OK, I can't believe I'm going to admit this here, but--I have to preface it with, my brother is still quite ill (he is schizophrenic, well, schizoeffective), and has just been released from the hosp because he took his meds for two days, but stopped immediately, and I'm so worried, I can't sleep at all, I've had a massive headache for 5 days that won't go away at all, and did I mention I am TIRED! And I had to do our co-op meeting, and our local hs group meeting today, and I'm TIRED!!!

So, here goes--I'm reading every single one of my daughter's Archie comic books that I can find. Did I really just say that?

Sometimes life itself is so dramatic that you need a little mind candy or you will go crazy. I myself have went three months without reading anything at all which I have never before done in my life. I say enjoy the Archie.

Maybe I am a little odd, but I have been enjoying reading some of the books I should have read as a child, but did not.

I recently read Anne of Green Gables and loved it.

I am looking at To Kill a Mockingbird but I am not sure if I want to spend the time at the moment to read it. I may need to put it off but get back to it.

Also, I recently read 90 Minutes in Heaven and really enjoyed it.

I think I'm just ONE up on Mom to Aly and the Archie comic books ;)!

I haven't read anything "for fun" or "for just me" since I don't know when. I just finished "CM Companion" and "More CM". Next I think is going to be "Latin Centered Curriculum" (I haven't received it yet, just the title scares me). I'm completely immersed in trying to figure out how NOT to ruin my dc, so everything I'm reading has to do with how to be better at this.

Prior to that I read "The Creative Family", still not really for fun, but a fun book.

Prior to that, "Traveling Light" by Max Lucado - my mom gave it to me, said I was too stressed and I needed to lighten up.....hum....it's a good one for that....probably need to read that one again.

LOL . When I was a kid I loved the Archie comic books.

My dd and I just finished the 4 books of the Twilight series before school started. I had just picked up World Without End, which is the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, when the library notified me that The Host was ready for pickup. I'm enjoying The Host so far, but I'm wondering when my teenage dd is going to grab it.:glare: Also reading The Heart of Darkness and The Road from Home for school.

Veronica

Melinda,

Which translation are you reading? My daughter and I started out with one translation which was analogous to slogging through mud. We switched to the translation by Norman Denny and were amazed at the difference!

Regards,

Kareni

Oooh, there's an interesting thought! I'm reading the Signet Classics version, which is translated by Lahnestock and MacAfee, based on the Wilbour translation.

I'll have to look at Amazon and see if I can find the Denny translation.

I adore Archie Comics!!! I had a collection of thousands when I was a teen. Now, even my dd's friends have borrowed them:D

Someone here mentioned Anne of Green Gables. I did the same thing about a month ago. They are such good books. Now dd is after me to get each one in the series as she finishes a book. She doesn't want any breaks between Green Gables books at all.

Oh, we saw Wicked on Broadway about 3 years ago. It was incredible!

I am reading Heart of Darkness because my son would not read it, and I had to challenge him. But I am reading Loving Frank. I adore Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture, and I was so excited when the library emailed.

ReneeR

You all sound so dang smart!

Here. I'll help bring the curve down a bit. ;)

I recently finished Anne of Windy Poplars, and I'm almost done with Thimble Summer (pre-reading for book club). I need to re-read Trumpet of the Swan for tomorrow's book club meeting. And a sequel to Twilight is waiting for me at the library.

Juvenile Lit with a vampire tale thrown in for fun. :D

I'm still working and revamping my 888 list. Anyone still have theirs?

Maybe I am a little odd, but I have been enjoying reading some of the books I should have read as a child, but did not.

I recently read Anne of Green Gables and loved it.

I re-read the Anne series about once every year or so. Love it.

Right now I am reading Sense and Sensibility and Remains of the day by Kazuo Ishiguru (that one is for school)

Is Woman in White scary? I've always heard it's such a good book, but I isn't it a ghost story? I don't do well at all with books about ghosts, demons etc. Too much suspense is hard on me too. I love suspense, but I have a hard time separating myself when I read sometimes! ;)

It is what was known as a "sensation novel," which was, as I understand it, essentially a reaction against the gothic novels that were so popular. Although sensation novels often dealt with subject matter that was similar on the surface--murder, adultery, secrets, insanity, etc. -- one of the differences between them and gothic novels is that, in a sensation novel, everything has a "logical" explanation.

Now, "logical" may be a slippery term. But, in theory, there is nothing supernatural about the events, even when it seems like there might be.

I didn't find The Woman in White particularly scary. It's suspenseful, but more because you want to find out the solution to the mystery than because you're afraid. At least, that was my reaction.

I'm currently re-reading Eragon and Eldest - in preparation for Brisingr coming out on September 20th! :D

I haven't seen one of these threads lately.

I just finished reading Wicked. I liked it. I think I need to read it again for the atheist/soul deeper meaning stuff. :001_huh: But now I have no problems going to see the musical. :D

Ooooooh, read the sequel for sure. You won't even have to re-read that one to catch the religious/political insinuations. lol They're extremely obvious. While I don't see things the same way as the author, I found both books extremely interesting.

The musical, though? It is SOOOOOOOO awesome. Much "lighter" than the book - and completely, wonderfully, unequivocally AMAZING. :001_smile:

oh, my. :grouphug:

I just finished Breaking Dawn - the last of the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer.

I did NOT like it!! Anyone else? I didn't like the emphasis on Bella's bruises which she SO didn't mind:001_huh:. This series is hugely popular with young teens, I just think that was TMI and not a good message for girls. At all.

I skimmed the rest to see how it all ended up. It was ok plot wise, not what I thought would happen to everyone.

Oooh, there's an interesting thought! I'm reading the Signet Classics version, which is translated by Lahnestock and MacAfee, based on the Wilbour translation.

I'll have to look at Amazon and see if I can find the Denny translation.

I'll be interested to hear if you find that a different translation makes a difference. This was our first experience seeing how translators can have a huge impact.

Regards,

Kareni

I adore Archie Comics!!! I had a collection of thousands when I was a teen. Now, even my dd's friends have borrowed them:D

Thank you, to all of those wonderful women who didn't make me feel like the idiot of the decade for reading comic books--it is all my little mind can concentrate on now! And the sad thing is, I love them more than when I was young! I think I'm going to have to fight my dd for some, because she is ill, so I let her read whatever she wants! ;)

Thank you, to all of those wonderful women who didn't make me feel like the idiot of the decade for reading comic books--it is all my little mind can concentrate on now! And the sad thing is, I love them more than when I was young! I think I'm going to have to fight my dd for some, because she is ill, so I let her read whatever she wants! ;)

Some days (most days) comics or romance novels are the perfect bit of popcorn that my brain needs.

John Adams, by David McCullough, and I just received (yay!) Susan's The History of the Ancient World.

I loved Susan's History of the Ancient World. I finished it last spring and wished I had the next one. Unlike most other things, that one took a while to read though. I only read it a bedtime, because it required concentration (unlike many of the novels that I read in a day or two) - quality does take longer, I guess.:001_smile:

[quote=

Someone here mentioned Anne of Green Gables. I did the same thing about a month ago. They are such good books. Now dd is after me to get each one in the series as she finishes a book. She doesn't want any breaks between Green Gables books at all.

I listen to and read the first five Anne books this summer and got my 11yo cousin hooked on them as well. I still love them.

I recently reread The Boxcar Children to see if I thought my dd7 would like it. I liked it.

I just finished Wicked, and I just not sure how I feel about it. Still pondering it. I might read the other one, Son of a Witch, or whatever the title is. I was feeling the need for something light and fluffy so I picked up a couple Aunt Dimity books by Nancy Atherton. There's a lot to be said for books that don't require much thinking. Oh, I'm still working on Sister Carrie by Theodore Drieser. I don't usually admit defeat, but I might in this case.

Janet

For nights when the insomnia hits... I drink Sleepy Time TEA, Extra (Valerian Makes It Extra!) and read Inventing Kindergarten, by Norman Brosterman.

For nights when I want to stay awake, I forego the TEA and read The Latin-Centered Curriculum, by Dr. Andrew Campbell.

To the children:

Big Red Barn

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

The Poky Little Puppy

The House That Jack Built

Poems and Prayers for the Very Young

The last novel I read was Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. Not a literary masterpiece by any means but a good story and a fun, fast read.

A local group of us moms have all read the series and are planning a movie outing together.

I have tried to get into The Host (Meyer's other novel), but it is escaping me at the moment.

I now have some new books on my book list thanks to this thread :D

I just finished reading Mary Higgins Clark, Where are you now. I just started So what's the Difference by Fritz Ridenour. It is very interesting so far.

With kids:

Just finished Masada

Starting next week: Eagle of the Ninth

A local group of us moms have all read the series and are planning a movie outing together.

I have tried to get into The Host (Meyer's other novel), but it is escaping me at the moment.

Me and some other obsessed fans (um...I mean, friends) are going to see it on opening night. :D

How far into The Host are you? It was hard for me to get into at first but I ended up really liking it in the end.

A Tale of Two Cities

A Peoples History of the United States: Zinn

Honey for A Child's Heart

Mere Christianity

*All for different reasons, different moods, different times of the day (or week) and for different durations.

And to the Children: Nesibt: Five Children and It.

I think I may have read on one of these threads that C.S. Lewis read her work....fascinating.....equally fascinating how "contemporary" the books seems having been written in 1902......

e

Today we were at the beach, I read Alice Hoffman's The River King. I love how she writes about people and her attention to the little details.

Over the weekend, I read Jodi Picoult's 19 Minutes. It was kind of disturbing, but not in a truly thought-provoking way (like the book We Need to Talk About Kevin). It's not something high on my recommendation list.

I haven't seen one of these threads lately.

I just finished reading Wicked. I liked it. I think I need to read it again for the atheist/soul deeper meaning stuff. :001_huh: But now I have no problems going to see the musical. :D

PG Wodehouse. Got some on Freecycle--rescued them from the trash, actually.

FROM THE TRASH!?!! *GASP!* I have fancy hardcover versions in cases! :)

I just finished Julie and Julia

and I'm currently reading Franklin and WinstonI just looked on my younger sister's facebook and see that she's reading it too! That's hilarious!

I rescued RECENT******* college textbooks in the same batch! It was insane... If I hadn't picked it up, it'd have been rained on on the curb the next day.