Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW31: analogical august

Robin M

And question #2.  Have any of you read Ready Player One???  

Three of us have read it (me, dh, and ds) and we give it three thumbs up.  Dh used to work for PlayStation (so, yeah, gamer) and ds is a gamer, so it was right up their alley!

• Like 8

Robin, what an adorable honey baby. <3 I'm starting to get baby rabies again!

Jenn, I LOVED that!! I had to show my 6.5 year old to encourage him to practice his violin. ;) 

I must have known this was Isabel Allende month in the back of my head because I grabbed The House of the Spirits on my library run before going out of town. I'll read that one next!

I can't believe I've missed a good two weeks of this thread. We've been doing a lot of mini trips for the kids and doing a ton of outdoors-y things. We just returned home from a 4 day trip in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan way in the middle of nowhere. I read Liane Moriarty's What Alice Forgot, ML Stedman's The Light Between Oceans, Holly Madison's Down The Rabbit Hole (story of a Playboy bunny/Hef's ex girlfriend), and finished a good chunk of The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.

• Like 13

Hello!

I went in to the city today and, among other things, got a library card. I went to the main library. It is FOUR floors of books. Loads of books in English. AND they had request to purchase slips all over the place!!!! And there is a cafe. I can see myself spending many Saturdays there :D

60. Kiss Me by Susan Mallery

61. The Last Thing He Needs by J. H. Knight

62. In Front of God and Everyone by Nealy Wagner

63. Everything He Needs by J. H. Knight

64. It's Never Over by Nealy Wagner

65. HIM by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy (review will be up on the blog on Monday)

66. Radio Silence by Alyssa Cole

67. Finding Their Way by A. M. Arthur

68. Signal Boost by Alyssa Cole

69. Focus on Me by Megan Ericksson

70. Curve Ball by Sloan Johnson

71. Get Your Shine On by Nick Wilgus

I'm having a hard time settling down to one book. I keep dipping into different books but they aren't holding my attention. It is a pain. And I have a new book coming tomorrow. Malice at the Palace by Rhys Bowens. It is extra annoying as they aren't bad books, just...I don't know...

I haven't read any Allende.

I read Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie and it didn't really do it for me.

• Like 13

33.  "Flygirl" by Sherri L. Smith.  Found on the MightyGirl booklist.  Liked this one, too.  Wonder which other MightyGirl books my library has?

32. "mockingbird" by Kathryn Erskine.  I found this one on the MightyGirl booklist, and since DD10 has been diagnosed ASD level 2, and since my library had it...  Very good.  

31. "The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Elizabeth Verdick & Elizabeth Reeve, M.D.  A library find.  I liked it so much I hopped on Amazon and ordered three copies so my two older kids and I can read it together.

30. "Asperger's and Girls" by Tony Attwood.

29.  "A Veiled Antiquity" by Rett MacPherson.

28. "As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust" by Alan Bradley.

27. "Counting by 7s" by Holly Goldberg Sloan.

26. "Temple Theology: An Introduction" by Margaret Barker.

25. "Walking With the Women of the New Testament" by Heather Farrell (LDS). 

24. "Cub Scout BEAR Handbook."

23. "How to Read Literature Like  a Professor for Kids" by Thomas C. Foster.

22.  "Women and the Priesthood" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

21. "No More Meltdowns" by Jed Baker, Ph.D. 

20. "Amazed by Grace" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

19. "Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace" by Sarah Mackenzie.

18. "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport.

17. "Eight Plus One" by Robert Cormier.

16.  "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.

15. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.

14.  "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.

13. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. 

12. "My Louisiana Sky" by Kimberly Willis Holt. 

11. "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" by Alan Alda.  

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.  

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS)

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 11

Uh-oh, tell me more, pretty please? We are pretty animal sensitive -ok, really animal sensitive - around here, but we'd been looking forward to this sequel because we loved the first one so much.

The style is the same as the first one - each chapter a mostly separate story about something that happens (there is a name for that -- what is it? episodic?? )  Anyway, a number of chapters revolve around the travails of Calpurnia's animal loving & sensitive brother.

Below is the spoiler (trying not to give too much away even though it is definitely a spoiler - let me know if you need more detail):

There are several animals that he tries to adopt which don't end well. One of which gets killed by a cat.   One animal kills several chickens and has to be dumped off miles away.  Some baby animals are drowned.  The final animal goes through a number of chapters where you think he must be going to end up dying -- and does almost get killed 2x -- before all ends well.  This last story actually bothered me (ex animal sensitive) most - because it seemed so sure that it must be going to end badly and some little story about this animal was in pretty much every chapter (I'd have to look back to see if this is true or just my perception).  Additionally there is a vet in this book with some descriptions that would be too much for my DD -- pus/blood/cutting open.

end of spoiler

• Like 7

33.  "Flygirl" by Sherri L. Smith.  Found on the MightyGirl booklist.  Liked this one, too.  Wonder which other MightyGirl books my library has?

32. "mockingbird" by Kathryn Erskine.  I found this one on the MightyGirl booklist, and since DD10 has been diagnosed ASD level 2, and since my library had it...  Very good.  

31. "The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Elizabeth Verdick & Elizabeth Reeve, M.D.  A library find.  I liked it so much I hopped on Amazon and ordered three copies so my two older kids and I can read it together.

30. "Asperger's and Girls" by Tony Attwood.

29.  "A Veiled Antiquity" by Rett MacPherson.

28. "As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust" by Alan Bradley.

27. "Counting by 7s" by Holly Goldberg Sloan.

26. "Temple Theology: An Introduction" by Margaret Barker.

25. "Walking With the Women of the New Testament" by Heather Farrell (LDS). 

24. "Cub Scout BEAR Handbook."

23. "How to Read Literature Like  a Professor for Kids" by Thomas C. Foster.

22.  "Women and the Priesthood" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

21. "No More Meltdowns" by Jed Baker, Ph.D. 

20. "Amazed by Grace" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

19. "Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace" by Sarah Mackenzie.

18. "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport.

17. "Eight Plus One" by Robert Cormier.

16.  "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.

15. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.

14.  "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.

13. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. 

12. "My Louisiana Sky" by Kimberly Willis Holt. 

11. "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" by Alan Alda.  

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.  

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS)

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

I am really loving the Mighty Girl site (and fb page) and all their book lists. The other day they had two lists of classics and there were several I haven't read and really want to read now.

• Like 7

The style is the same as the first one - each chapter a mostly separate story about something that happens (there is a name for that -- what is it? episodic?? )  Anyway, a number of chapters revolve around the travails of Calpurnia's animal loving & sensitive brother.

Below is the spoiler (trying not to give too much away even though it is definitely a spoiler - let me know if you need more detail):

There are several animals that he tries to adopt which don't end well. One of which gets killed by a cat.   One animal kills several chickens and has to be dumped off miles away.  Some baby animals are drowned.  The final animal goes through a number of chapters where you think he must be going to end up dying -- and does almost get killed 2x -- before all ends well.  This last story actually bothered me (ex animal sensitive) most - because it seemed so sure that it must be going to end badly and some little story about this animal was in pretty much every chapter (I'd have to look back to see if this is true or just my perception).  Additionally there is a vet in this book with some descriptions that would be too much for my DD -- pus/blood/cutting open.

end of spoiler

I appreciate it.  This is the kind of stuff that would bother my younger dd, so we definitely won't do it as a read aloud.  I'll give older dd a warning and let her read it on her own if she wants to.  I'm bummed, though, the first one was such a fun read aloud for us!  But my younger is sensitive/anxious about sometimes unpredictable things, so I'm trying to be really careful about what I expose her to right now.

• Like 7

I finished Summer of My German Soldier today.  I'm kind of still processing it.  I'm really not sure what I think of it.  I think I liked it.  It's just so frustrating, the way her father treats her, particularly compared to her sister, and then how the courts treated her, too.

• Like 7

Hello!

I went in to the city today and, among other things, got a library card. I went to the main library. It is FOUR floors of books. Loads of books in English. AND they had request to purchase slips all over the place!!!! And there is a cafe. I can see myself spending many Saturdays there :D

60. Kiss Me by Susan Mallery

61. The Last Thing He Needs by J. H. Knight

62. In Front of God and Everyone by Nealy Wagner

63. Everything He Needs by J. H. Knight

64. It's Never Over by Nealy Wagner

65. HIM by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy (review will be up on the blog on Monday)

66. Radio Silence by Alyssa Cole

67. Finding Their Way by A. M. Arthur

68. Signal Boost by Alyssa Cole

69. Focus on Me by Megan Ericksson

70. Curve Ball by Sloan Johnson

71. Get Your Shine On by Nick Wilgus

I'm having a hard time settling down to one book. I keep dipping into different books but they aren't holding my attention. It is a pain. And I have a new book coming tomorrow. Malice at the Palace by Rhys Bowens. It is extra annoying as they aren't bad books, just...I don't know...

I haven't read any Allende.

I read Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie and it didn't really do it for me.

Your new library sounds wonderful. Glad you are settling in and moved. :grouphug:

• Like 6

Your new library sounds wonderful. Glad you are settling in and moved. :grouphug:

Weeeell I am not completely moved. I am currently at my grandparents and will be for a month (at least) but the big move is done. The next step can be done in increments (or with professional movers which looks increasingly likely) as it is a local move.

• Like 6

I finished a favorite historical romance re-read earlier today. 

Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

"Honoria Smythe-Smith is:
A) a really bad violinist
B) still miffed at being nicknamed "Bug" as a child
C) not in love with her older brother's best friend
D) all of the above

Marcus Holroyd is:
A) the Earl of Chatteris
B) regrettably prone to sprained ankles
C) not in love with his best friend's younger sister
D) all of the above

Together they:
A) eat quite a bit of chocolate cake
B) survive a deadly fever and the world's worst musical performance
C) fall quite desperately in love

It's Julia Quinn at her best, so you know the answer is ...
D) all of the above"

I also began Jennifer Marie Brissett's Elysium which was nominated for the 2014 Philip K. Dick Award, but I gave up after some thirty or so pages.   It has a lot of excellent reviews, but I don't think I was in the mood for so challenging a story.  Others might be interested in attempting it.

"A computer program etched into the atmosphere has a story to tell, the story of two people, of a city lost to chaos, of survival and love. The program's data, however, has been corrupted. As the novel's characters struggle to survive apocalypse, they are sustained and challenged by the demands of love in a shattered world both haunted and dangerous."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

ETA: No longer available. In fact the price is up to $59.99.  Perhaps it was an error that some lucky few were able to benefit from.

Fans of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series might be interested in this $1.99 Kindle bargain. 

The Outlander Series 7-Book Bundle: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross,... by Diana Gabaldon

These titles are included ~

OUTLANDER
DRAGONFLY IN AMBER
VOYAGER
DRUMS OF AUTUMN
THE FIERY CROSS
A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES
AN ECHO IN THE BONE

Over 7,000 pages of reading!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

What's up with multiquote.  :(

Robin, he's adorable! I love babies. I hope you have a wonderful time meeting him (is this the first time you'll see him in person?) and visiting with your niece and her sweetie.

Yes, this was the first time meeting the baby and her boyfriend. The baby was adorably cranky by the time we arrived and fell asleep soon after, snuggled in his daddy's pack.  Didn't get to spend as much time as I would like but had fun.  My dad flew in for the weekend which was a plus. 

Negin:  Robin, this used to be one of my favorite books ever. My tastes have changed a bit. I still love it very much, but not as much. Out of all of Allende's books, this is my favorite. I've read most of them. Her recent ones are not as good, IMHO. She recently accepted my friend request on Good Reads! :D

Welcoime back. Glad you had fun.   Yeah, good to know book you and shuriyya enjoyed it..  Also fun making friends with authors on goodreads.

Jenn -- brava bellisimio

Violet Crown - ETA: Since Robin linked to The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, I checked and dh is cited in it ten times. Ooh, fame! Not in the article on Analogy however.

How cool!

I'll have to check out Ready Player One. Since I was a player in the 70/80's and James loves to play, it might just be right up our alley. 

Zee - Four floors of book heaven and a cafe. Sounds like my kind of place.  :)

• Like 12

Yes it was The Lost Sisterhood. And yes, I loved it! I also loved the same author's book Juliet.

Are you enjoying A Beautiful Blue Death?

I read the first book of the Magnificent Devices series, Lady of Devices. I didn't realize the second was out.

I'm quite enjoying 'A Beautiful Blue Death' and based on what I recall of your literary inclinations I think you'd quite enjoy it, too.

'The Lost Sisterhood' is now queued up on my kindle.

I believe there are actually several other books in the Magnificent Devices series :D

• Like 7

Went to Half-Price Books today and got the next 3 Jack Reacher novels I need AND a good copy of Western Civilization by Spielvogel for $1.  It's 4th edition, though; is it worth using or are updated editions a LOT better?  I just grabbed it because it looked good to ME!  LOL

• Like 9

Earlier today I finished Moonlight on Butternut Lake: A Novel (The Butternut Lake Trilogy) by Mary McNear which I enjoyed.  Evidently, it's the third in a trilogy, but I didn't feel as though I'd missed out on any back story.

Trigger alert: The heroine has been abused by her husband.

"Mila Jones has fled the big city seeking a safe haven on the serene shores of Butternut Lake. Ready to forge a new life, Mila's position as home health aide to Reid Ford is more than a job. It's a chance at a fresh start. Though her sullen patient seems determined to make her quit, she refuses to give up on him.

Haunted by the car accident that nearly killed him, Reid retreats to his brother's cabin on Butternut Lake and lashes out at anyone who tries to help. Reid wishes Mila would just go away. . .until he notices the strength, and the secrets, behind her sad, brown eyes.

Against all odds, Mila slowly draws Reid out. Soon they form a tentative, yet increasingly deeper, bond as Mila lowers her guard and begins to trust again, and Reid learns how to let this woman who has managed to crack through his protective shell into his life. While the seemingly endless days of summer unfold, Reid and Mila take the first steps to healing as they discover love can be more than just a dream."

There's a nice review here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I came across this list of 21 books every woman should read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/19/recent-books-women-should-read_n_7314166.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000010I've managed two so far :D

I've read five, and one has been on my TBR list for a while. There's one I tried to read (Wild) and just couldn't. Of the remaining ones, some look interesting and I might eventually add them to my list.

• Like 7

I came across this list of 21 books every woman should read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/19/recent-books-women-should-read_n_7314166.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000010I've managed two so far :D

I have read none and don't plan to read any either -- none of those books is my style at all - I guess I don't fit in the everywoman mold :leaving:  I do apparently like to read book lists though since I can't resist clicking on them. 

(if there was a lot of raving about how wonderful one of those books was on BW threads - then I might read one  - so thanks ahead of time for weeding through the list for me :lol: )

• Like 9

I have read none and don't plan to read any either -- none of those books is my style at all - I guess I don't fit in the everywoman mold :leaving:  I do apparently like to read book lists though since I can't resist clicking on them. 

(if there was a lot of raving about how wonderful one of those books was on BW threads - then I might read one  - so thanks ahead of time for weeding through the list for me :lol: )

Yeah ... I pretty much don't enjoy reading anything that isn't written to men as well as women, first of all.  There have been some few exceptions, but those would probably be considered un-feminist so they won't make an "every woman should read" list.  ;)

I get bugged by the idea that all women are supposed to view certain things a certain way.

• Like 8

I do apparently like to read book lists though since I can't resist clicking on them. 

:lol:  Me too.

I have read two (The Goldfinch; Boy, Snow, Bird) on the list & loved both of them. I've had some of the others (if not the specific books, the authors) on my radar for awhile, but just haven't gotten around to them (yet). My 'to read one day' pile is so huge, I'd better live to a ripe old age!

• Like 7

Well, I'm half way through Wuthering Heights and I'm not having a good time. I think I'm too old this time around. The cruelty is all I can see. I have to read it through though. The book club is one of my few real life social outlets.

Non-fiction looks pretty good right now.

:hurray:  Not that I'm cheering because you're not having a good time.... I'm cheering to see that someone else sees the characters as mean. Gah, how I loathe that book.

Do you think others in your book club will like it?

• Like 11

TeacherZee, that library sounds wonderful! Hope it brings you many hours of enjoyment.

Heather, I remember reading Summer of My German Soldier when I was probably around 5ht or 6th grade or so...? (I associate it with a certain house we lived in, which means probably I read it in 4th or 5th grade, but now I'm thinking that may be on the young end for reading it so I wonder if I'm remembering correctly.) I remember liking it (not sure like is the correct word vs. being pulled into the story) & it must have had an impact of some sort on me because I don't necessarily remember many books that I read when I was around that age.

• Like 6

I really liked the audio version of Room. It was fantastically well done. It is however quite a disturbing book.

I thought The Henrietta Lacks book was very thought provoking.

• Like 6

:hurray: Not that I'm cheering because you're not having a good time.... I'm cheering to see that someone else sees the characters as mean. Gah, how I loathe that book.

Do you think others in your book club will like it?

They won't like it. They are all older than me. Plus, they didn't care for A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (sacrilege), because of some violence.

• Like 8

I really liked Wuthering Heights because of its unusual dark tone.  I didn't like the ending IIRC but it was a compelling read.  Granted, I was a teen when I read it.  I guess I found it refreshing to find a classic by a woman author that was not mostly on the cheery side.  I did like those other books too, but it was nice to have a change.

ETA I guess you would say Jane Eyre wasn't so cheery either, but somehow it had a lighter tone for me.

• Like 8

I have been on hiatus for a the past month and then some. I needed a board break. I've been really slow with my reading. I'm reading mostly books for school, which are dense. So when not reading I have been watching brain candy on youtube. I feel no shame. 

I left the Golem and Jinni and haven't picked them back up. I plan to. I also started an audio book, but youtube proved the stronger pull. I became addicted to the channel Clean My Space, and my house has benefited. All I have to do is remember to listen to my audio books while cleaning and I'll be good. 

• Like 9

The ones I read from that list are:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - I agree it's thought provoking. I read it not long before the Supreme Court ruling that said genes cannot be patented, so it was timely.

The Goldfinch - Loved it, but it seems to be a love it or hate it book. Very few people have mild reactions to it.

Room - Read it for book club. Meh. Didn't hate it but wouldn't recommend it.

Americanah - Loved it, but it wasn't my first Adichie and I already knew I liked her writing

Bossypants - I love Tina Fey! I listened to the audio book read by Tina herself.

Behind the Beautiful Forevers is on my TBR list.

• Like 10

The comments about Wuthering Heights are making me giggle.  I know that what happens in BaW stays in BaW, and vice versa, but I can't resist sharing this thread I started last year while I was reading it.  It actually turned into a pretty interesting discussion, but WH-haters are not alone!  :lol:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/512369-whats-up-with-wuthering-heights/?hl=+wuthering%20+heights

• Like 8

Hello dear reading friends.

It has been a very busy couple of weeks for me, all good. My days have been filled with my husband's siblings and their spouses; swimming and boating; eating lobster, clams and mussels; and missing my boy who is unable to join us for this family time.

I have found time to read. Eliana, the last story in Jane Gardam's The Hollow Land did not bother me as it did you. Lovely work.

Jonas Karlsson offers a strange diversion in The Room. The novel is translated from the Swedish; the author is apparently a well known actor on the Swedish stage which does give one the feeling that the book could easily be adapted to a play.

After reading Camille, I went back to the first volume in Pierre Lemaitre ' s trilogy, Irene. To be honest, it is probably a good thing that I did not start with the first book as it is quite graphic in describing a number of gory murders. The third book had its violent moments but the high suspense kept me going. Irene is Lemaitre's homage to classic crime fiction. Very well done but not for our sensitive readers.

Trying to catch up with the thread and my likes.

• Like 9

The comments about Wuthering Heights are making me giggle. I know that what happens in BaW stays in BaW, and vice versa, but I can't resist sharing this thread I started last year while I was reading it. It actually turned into a pretty interesting discussion, but WH-haters are not alone! :lol:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/512369-whats-up-with-wuthering-heights/?hl=+wuthering%20+heights

I never saw that thread. Thanks for the link! There are some great comments in it.

• Like 6

Those who enjoy Kristen Ashley's books might be interested to know that books one through five of her The 'Burg series are currently selling for $1.99 for Kindle readers.  This is in anticipation of the release of book six.

You can see the list of her books here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

And question #2.  Have any of you read Ready Player One???  

Dh read it and thought it was OK.  (He is a gamer, pop culture nut.)  The story was entertaining, but the sheer number of pop culture references was a bit much in his opinion.  He just finished Armada (same author) and felt that the referencing in that one was so forced that it ruined the story.  No one naturally speaks that way and then to have *everyone* understand all the 80s references, etc.?  That was more far-fetched than the sci-fi aspects of the plot.  LOL

• Like 5

My 13 year old finished listening to The Martian today.  He loved it.  He told my husband and me to hurry and get to listening/reading.  When I told him they made it into a movie that's coming out the day before his birthday he got very excited.  His take on the language is it starts bad, but gets better.  And it makes sense.

• Like 8

I am currently reading and enjoying Mary Jo Putney's the Marriage Spell. Really fun so far, it is a good recency romance mixed with magic. Sort of a Magical Recency England that reminds me a bit of Bewitched complete with floating food. :lol:

Naturally I went to find a copy of the next in what I thought must be a trilogy but no more in the series. :( I found this which might interest some herehttp://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/overall-b-reviews/b-reviews/review-dark-mirror-by-mary-jo-putney/. I looked at that series also.

• Like 7

Those who enjoy romantic paranormal fantasies might enjoy the book I read last night ~  In The Air Tonight (Sisters of the Craft) by Lori Handeland.  It's the first book in a trilogy, and I now have the second in the series on hold.  I enjoyed it.

"Four centuries ago, in a small Scottish village, three baby girls escaped the wrath of a witch hunter.

Today, one young woman will learn about her secret history, her heart's destiny, and the sisters she never knew she had...

With her blue-black hair and dark eyes, Raye Larsen has never fit in with the Scandinavian community of New Bergin, Wisconsin. Being adopted is part of the reason she feels like an outsider, but what really sets Raye apart is her ability to see dead people. Everywhere. She's learned to keep her visions to herself...until she stumbles onto the ghost of a murder victim who needs Raye's help. Enter Bobby Doucet, a distractingly handsome homicide detective who has been tracking a killer all the way from New Orleans. Could this be the break in his case he's been looking for all along? Meanwhile, the deeper Raye gets involved with the case-and with Bobby-the closer she comes to unlocking the mystery of her own origins. What she discovers about herself could destroy everything she knows...and everyone she loves. Is finding the truth worth the risk?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Jenn - Happy Birthday!!  And loved the youtube video (I finally got a chance to watch it today!).  Do you know The Devil went down to Georgia or Rocky Top  :laugh:

Robin - Happy Birthday to your boy!  Love his big eyes in the second picture and his Jurassic Park tee!  

• Like 7