Menu

My next home will DEFINITELY NOT.......(fill in the blank)

DawnM

Have any dogs nearby anywhere.  (I know, I'm dreaming).

Have two stories.

Be too close to neighbors.

Be older than 20 years old. 

We had been looking at a house online.  We went last night to look at it and there were TWO very large german shepherds  next door who barked at us as we looked at the house.

Combine that with the horrible slopes in the yard and that one is now off the list.

The more I read here the more I want to build my own house, but the problem is, to build to my exact specifications, I would need to live as far out as we currently live and the point is to move closer in.

Sigh.

... be what the realtor refers to as more of a tearer-downer than a fixer-upper.

... cost less than 7 times what we paid for the previous one ($13,500), unless we move to another country with a MUCH lower COL.

... involve a 3-4 ft drop unto the soil after opening the front door because the living room and downstairs bedroom are missing the floor AND subfloor.

... be so crooked that there isn't a single place that's level (floors) and/or square (walls).

• Like 1

Sorry I can't multi-quote.

These make more sense to me now.

Even as the builder's wife, there were two things I wanted that I didn't get because the sub thought I wouldn't like it the way I asked. (?) one was a built-in ironing board cabinet in the laundry room. The framer told DH, "oh, they aren't that great. My wife wants to iron in front of the television and so she keeps using the fold-up board." WTH? I'm not the guy's wife and I don't need to watch TV while I iron! i thought that was so dumb.

The other thing was that I wanted an appliance garage in the corner kitchen counter. The cabinet guy talked DH out of that, too, although I can't remember what his reasoning was. So annoying. My Kitchenaide stand mixer is always pushed into that corner as it is; I would prefer that it not be visible. But, oh well.

When our electrician was about to wire in outlets, I marked off locations in every room of the house. For real. I can't stand when outlets go in according to 8' intervals, causing them to land in some ridiculous spot. I wanted all light cords, etc. to fall behind furniture.* I wanted quad plugs next to each bathroom sink because a person might need to plug in a bulky hairdryer plug and a flat iron plug, say. I do think it was rather magnificent that I was able to dictate all the outlet types and locations.

*P.S. If anyone finds themselves in a position to do this with the outlets, don't forget to also have enough outlets that are *not* behind furniture, in order to plug in temporary use items such as vacuums, steamers, nightlights, phone chargers, etc. A few rooms have inadequate exposed outlets because I didn't think about this in my zeal to conceal! ;)

Years ago I read a profile article on a home builder that was a women.  She was doing great when other builders were really struggling.  She thought the reason was that she thought out things like outlet placement based on "Where will the couch go, the TV, where will the KitchenAid live?"   And put outlets accordingly.  She said everyone else just put them every X feet according to code.  

• Like 3

Are you on the West Coast? I have a notion that light natural is more popular out west. I think the East Coast is a year or two behind whatever is most "in" out west.

Actually the southeast, land of Brazilian cherry. Lightest wood floors I've had were natural cherry, still medium (rather than light) once sealed. Right now I have a wicked combination of carpet and 14" tile. Everyone compliments the tile but I hate it. Can't stand the grout. Plus I'm getting too old to be standing on such a hard surface for hours at a time. Many people don't realize how hard tile floors can wear out one's legs! Not to mention no mercy for dropped dishes.

• Like 2

Years ago I read a profile article on a home builder that was a women.  She was doing great when other builders were really struggling.  She thought the reason was that she thought out things like outlet placement based on "Where will the couch go, the TV, where will the KitchenAid live?"   And put outlets accordingly.  She said everyone else just put them every X feet according to code.  

I would love to work with a builder like that! I have actually gone in and asked that they be added here and there - have to catch the right time in the process to get it added. One builder charged me $50 per additional outlet once the electrician had finished and some of the drywall was up. It was worth it.

When we were getting ready to start to build our home, we hired an interior design person to go through the builder's plans with us. I think it cost $100 and it was so worth it. One of the flooring options was a light maple that we liked a lot (and it cost extra) and she said no, with a wheelchair you want a wood with grain to hide marks so we went with the standard oak. She saw all of the books in our house and came up with a clever way to add some shelving--we knew we didn't want the raised area of the counter with barstools as it would mess up wheelchair navigation. She said to make the whole counter the standard level and where the bar seating would have been, put in shelves. That was a custom thing that added a little to the cost, but it was so worth it. And remember, we saved money on flooring!

• Like 1

The best parts of our current house are the location, the basic layout, and no HOA (bad experiences before this one).

I wish we had a first-floor bedroom, and one slope is really tough to mow.  The first might be something we have to do down the road; the other is not something we can do about because of the road and neighboring property. I hate that slope!

I despise carpet. I did get all hard floors on the first level, but DH believed carpet was necessary in the bedrooms. Hate it. Carpet goes from nice to ugly in 12.2 seconds. It stains. It buckles. It laughs at what you thought was stylish mere years ago. How I hate it.

Same here. He said carpet is warmer when you get out of bed in winter. I reminded him we live in Florida but he felt very strongly about carpet in the bedrooms. Also,  Hello? Throw rugs next to the bed? We ended up with carpet in 2 out of 3 bedrooms including the master, plus the living room. At least we don't have it in the family room.

Anyway, we went with ceramic tile in the rest of the house and it's horrible on my back and feet. I can't be barefoot for long or I'll feel it at the end of the day. Our next (and hopefully final) house will have wood floors, and area/throw rugs where needed. No ceramic tile. No carpet.

• Like 2

be a "cookie." Our cul-de-sac is okay, but the street right next to ours is depressing. The houses are lined up like soldiers or Edward Scissorhands. Not fun to walk the dog. And the "sidewalk" can't hold two people side by side. I basically walk in the street next to my husband.

Also, I wouldn't have a creek in the back of my house again. Too many bugs, critters etc.

My last house also had a super mean lady that lived next door. She was the type who would say who knows what to other neighbors and they'd look at me funny. Thankfully, in our new state we have really nice neighbors. I would never put up w/ a crazy lady again.

Alley

My next home will be a condo. What it will have that my current home lacks:

laundry on the main level 

garage

2 bathrooms

enclosed patio

someone else to take care of the exterior, the landscaping, the roof, the gutters, the trash, pest control, and snow removal. 

• Like 1

It will not be big enough for more than one person. The rest of my family can live in their own house. 

NO KIDDING!

I think I like the idea of a plot of land with 5 of those tiny houses on it.....one for each of us.  

Today hasn't been a good day.

• Like 1

NO KIDDING!

I think I like the idea of a plot of land with 5 of those tiny houses on it.....one for each of us.

Today hasn't been a good day.

Oh my, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking a Tiny House Compound might be the best way to go. Maybe with a mess hall for group dinners and entertaining.

• Like 1

Just curious what you really don't like about your house (or your former house) and want a list of things you know you won't tolerate again.

GO.

I have such along list of things I hate about my house- you'd be shocked to know I have lived in it for 39 YEARS! (minus two times of about 1 year each when I had an apartment with a friend, and first apt w/DH) We moved back in TEMPORARILY when Diamond was 5 weeks old, exactly 20 years ago this weekend.  We now own my family home, so it looks like I'm not leaving anytime soon...

My next home will not:

Be in this same community, or ideally, even in this same state.

Be a ranch-style

have doors that open into each other- can't open fron door and closet at the same time.

have a single-car garage

be furnished with cast-off stuff that no one else wanted, but was "too good" to get rid of.

Store anything that *we* don't want from deceased relatives or those who down-sized their home

Oh goodness- I could go on for pages and pages.... I'll just highlight what I'd LOVE to have in my imaginary future-home:

Bedrooms on second floor.  I LOVE staircases! Master suite on other side, separated from children/guest rooms

Laundry near bedrooms

a mudroom or entryway- I HATE walking right into the livingroom.

Deck or patio, grill or firepit

a pantry.  A HUGE walk-in pantry.

Sidewalks. And places to walk to on them.

Be on a corner lot across from a school. We are far too visible to the city maintenance crews, and as a result, get hit by code enforcement for everything, when a couple of doors down the neighbor has an illegal swimming pool and backyard chickens and gets by with it. We can't build a fence because, legally, we don't have a backyard, only a front and side yard.

• Like 1