Menu

First Amphibious Pitcher (or as my English teacher would say....Words matter!)

Southern Ivy

Sigh. This is why when I'm queen of the universe, everyone will be required to study the dictionary at least 10 minutes a day.

I had several kids last year who, when we had free reading time, got a dictionary to read. At first, I thought about saying 'no' and having them read "a real book". But, I watched them and they were actually really reading it and learning new words, so I figured they were better off than the kids reading Captain Underpants! The dictionary group continued to get bigger through the year, too. Positive peer pressure!

• Like 5

Yes, I have made all sorts of autocorrect mistakes like that, where. Was typing the correct word but it spellchecked it to the wrong one due to a small error.

Yes, I have made all sorts of autocorrect mistakes like that, where. Was typing the correct word but it spellchecked it to the wrong one due to a small error.

I think we've all had that happen.  But this is a printed newspaper.  Goes a bit beyond misspelling a word in a text or e-mail for the headline to have actually gone to press like that.

Why do people always assume autocorrect is to blame?  :blink:

This is a newspaper headline, not a text message.

I was thinking more spellcheck - maybe he started typing it wrong and just did a quick spell check correction without really looking at the word offered. I've done that in papers I'm writing. 

Either way, this is a "measure twice, cut once" type thing. Always double check and have someone else check, too.

• Like 1

Because autocorrect is cray- cray?  ;)

Should have proofread better, certainly. But since it's correct in the article, it was correct, at some point, in the title.  Or, if someone else created the header, they would have to have read at least part of the article to create the title. That's why I'd don't think anyone got amphibious confused with ambidextrous.

Why do people always assume autocorrect is to blame?  :blink:

This is a newspaper headline, not a text message.

Because autocorrect is cray- cray?  ;)

Should have proofread better, certainly. But since it's correct in the article, it was correct, at some point, in the title.  Or, if someone else created the header, they would have to have read at least part of the article to create the title. That's why I'd don't think anyone got amphibious confused with ambidextrous.

I sometimes make a mistake in one spot and not in another.  And I often type one word while thinking another!  Just saying. . . 

• Like 1

Some years back there was a story on the morning news about some famous guy rapping for charity.  Unfortunately they didn't check the spelling and the banner line said he was raping for charity....

I had several kids last year who, when we had free reading time, got a dictionary to read. At first, I thought about saying 'no' and having them read "a real book". But, I watched them and they were actually really reading it and learning new words, so I figured they were better off than the kids reading Captain Underpants! The dictionary group continued to get bigger through the year, too. Positive peer pressure!

I used to do this during my free time at school!  Free period -- I headed for the library and hung out there.  When others didn't need the really big dictionary I'd randomly choose a word and start reading.  I found some really great words that way, and found out a lot about the development of quite a lot of them.  That was a REALLY great dictionary, the kind that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars now and requires its own stand.

I SO want one of those for my house!  It had EVERYTHING!

I think we've all had that happen.  But this is a printed newspaper.  Goes a bit beyond misspelling a word in a text or e-mail for the headline to have actually gone to press like that.

I wonder about this.  My Grandpa was a newspaper printer, and he never would have let an error like this get past him (he also liked baseball).  However that was back in the day when all type was hand-set.  Nowadays I assume it's a lot more automated, so there are fewer eyes checking all along the way.

• Like 1

I was thinking more spellcheck - maybe he started typing it wrong and just did a quick spell check correction without really looking at the word offered. I've done that in papers I'm writing. 

Either way, this is a "measure twice, cut once" type thing. Always double check and have someone else check, too.

:iagree: This is the key.

I had a friend in high school who used to read the dictionary for fun.  It paid off -- he ended up at William and Mary, iirc.

It's a shame that the reporter's name is associated with the article, while the editor who wrote the headline may be able to remain anonymous. 

No such luck. The editor has been identified.

For the record, reporters do not typically write the headlines, because they have no idea where on the page the article is going to appear, how many columns wide it will be, whether it's the most important story on the page, etc. There is actually quite a craft to coming up with appropriate, succinct headlines. Sometimes they have to add, delete or change words to make it fit. And sometimes there are big fails, like this one. 

• Like 1