Menu

My whole summer is ruined

MeghanL

They've been collecting it on us, too. I'm ok with it but here's what I'm NOT ok with:

Last week I ordered shirts from Rooster Teeth for my kids. They are in Texas.The shirts shipped from Texas.  When I got my invoice it had a Cook County tax and a Chicago municipal tax.  About 3%. So I emailed Rooster Teeth and they said the company that owns them has a corporate office in Chicago and that's why they have to charge us that tax. I was so floored that I called the state and they were so proud to tell me that yes, that is correct.  Illinois drives me insane. 

• Like 1

I'm generally grumpy about paying taxes but I confess I've been ok with this particular evolution. If Amazon didn't have to collect the tax it would give them an unfair advantage over the brick and mortar stores. The mom and pop places are already struggling. (And oh my goodness I am an Amazon-o-holic!)

• Like 3

I am really sorry if you were depending on the tax break to get by.

That said... our sales tax pays for a great deal of services to people, and I don't pay state income tax so I don't mind. I don't see how we can have a country without people pitching in on the roads and air traffic control and schools and ambulances and stuff, so I am not going to whine.

• Like 3

Has anyone stopped to think she was making a joke? As in, wow, I use Amazon so much....now taxes, too!

I wasn't taking it seriously either, but I still don't get what it has to do with summer.

I didn't take it seriously either, and figured she orders a lot over the summer. Or just because it's summer and you're supposed to be in a good mood and now an increased cost for Amazon stuff deflated that mood.

When people knew Amazon would start collecting in Florida we all joked about making huge orders before that went into effect. I really do find that the tax doesn't make a difference in a lot of things though. I still get great deals from Amazon, plus it arrives at my door. And in 2 days because I'm a Prime member. :D However, our state sales tax is six percent, so it's not much.