Menu

My daughter got a SMART scholarship

retiredHSmom

I know that the SMART scholarship has been mentioned here before (in fact this is where we learned about it) but I don't know if anyone here has actually take advantage of it.  

My daughter applied and received it.  It is a tuition for service scholarship.  Students receive tuition, paid summer internships, a stipend and a job with the DOD upon graduation.  In return they owe the government an equal number of years of service.

It is nice to enter my daughters senior year knowing that she has a job upon graduation. 

• Like 29

Those are sweet scholarships. Did they tell your daughter where she'd be working and what she'd be doing?

My son was thinking of applying for one but decided to go a different route; however, the son of a friend of my husband got one and is now working full time and loving his job.

Big congrats to her!

Thanks, everyone.  To answer some questions she is a math major.  She has one year left until graduation. She is going to Hansom Air Force Base to work in cost estimation and analysis.

Hanscom AFB - Greater Boston area is a great area for young adults - I used to live there

• 7 months later...

This is great news!  I have been researching this path as a potential option.  

Does anyone know if there is a problem with homeschool students getting into the program?  The reason I ask is that it states that:

"must be currently enrolled in a regionally accredited U.S. college or university and have a high school diploma/GED." -- http://smart.asee.org/about/eligibility

Thanks,

"

In Addition;

*Undergraduate applicants must be currently enrolled in a regionally accredited U.S. college or university and have a high school diploma/GED. Current high school students are not eligible to apply.

"

It looks like you can't get this for the Freshman year. 

Does anyone know if there is a problem with homeschool students getting into the program?  The reason I ask is that it states that:

"must be currently enrolled in a regionally accredited U.S. college or university and have a high school diploma/GED." -- http://smart.asee.org/about/eligibility

The U.S. Dept. of Defense recognizes parent-awarded homeschool diplomas equally with those awarded by public, private, and charter high school schools, so this would not be a problem:

On June 28, 2012, the Department of Defense implemented new guidelines for how all branches of the military must treat homeschool students who wish to enlist in the army, navy, air force, or marines. In accord with section 532 of the Fiscal Year 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, there is now ONE set of criteria that is used by the Armed Forces in determining whether an individual is a graduate of homeschooling.

According to a memo issued by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense in June 2012, the following criteria will be used to determine whether a credential represents a bona fide homeschool diploma for the purposes of military enlistment:

• First, the applicant must follow state guidelines. In a state requiring that parents notify the state or school district, we must have verification of that notification.

• Second, the curriculum must involve parental instruction and closely parallel the traditional high school curriculum, which in turn necessitates review of transcripts to ensure that courses are comparable and the education program is not inappropriately accelerated.

• Third, the applicant must have been in the home school for the final 9 months (academic year) to eliminate those who drop out of tradition school during their senior year and then assert a claim they were home schooled.

The bigger hoop to have to jump are the minimum required SAT/ACT test scores:

Frequently Asked Questions: Who Should Apply?

The SMART Program aims to increase the number of scientists and engineers in the DoD…. Applicants must be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the About SMART page.

All Awardees Must Be

• a U.S. citizen at time of application,

• 18 years of age or older as of August 1, 2016,

• able to participate in summer internships at DoD laboratories,

• willing to accept post-graduate employment with the DoD,

• a student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of award and,

• pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the About SMART page.

In Addition

*Undergraduate applicants must be currently enrolled in a regionally accredited U.S. college or university and have a high school diploma/GED. Current high school students are not eligible to apply.

Edited by Lori D.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news!  I have been researching this path as a potential option.  

Thanks,

My daughter was homeschooled to college and they didn't question her background at all.

UPDATE: She ended up turning the scholarship down.  

The scholarship comes with an assigned job for after college graduation. Once the offer is made, you are required to go and visit the job site that you have been assigned.  It is a two-day trip and you spend time learning about the job you will have.  This is done on purpose so that there are no incorrect assumptions about what you will be doing

My daughter was assigned a job in cost estimation and analysis.  Her bachelors degree will be in theoretical mathematics.  The job really didn't have any math at all in it and they were very clear about that.  They told her that they did very little math and mainly attend meetings.  That was not what she was looking for at all so she turned down the job and hence the scholarship as well.  

I am still impressed with the overall program and recommend that students consider it.  Just be aware that you may not get what you are looking for.

• Like 7

The scholarship comes with an assigned job for after college graduation. Once the offer is made, you are required to go and visit the job site that you have been assigned.  It is a two-day trip and you spend time learning about the job you will have.  This is done on purpose so that there are no incorrect assumptions about what you will be doing

Thanks for the update! It's good to know that they go into such detail about the job - I was thinking that it was more of a 'take what you get' type of deal. 

• Like 3

My daughter was homeschooled to college and they didn't question her background at all.

UPDATE: She ended up turning the scholarship down.  

My daughter was assigned a job in cost estimation and analysis.  Her bachelors degree will be in theoretical mathematics.  The job really didn't have any math at all in it and they were very clear about that.  They told her that they did very little math and mainly attend meetings.  That was not what she was looking for at all so she turned down the job and hence the scholarship as well.  

I am still impressed with the overall program and recommend that students consider it.  Just be aware that you may not get what you are looking for.

Great - another Gov't program wasting talent.  How many other jobs are below degree earned expectations?

• 1 month later...

The U.S. Dept. of Defense recognizes parent-awarded homeschool diplomas equally with those awarded by public, private, and charter high school schools, so this would not be a problem:

On June 28, 2012, the Department of Defense implemented new guidelines for how all branches of the military must treat homeschool students who wish to enlist in the army, navy, air force, or marines. In accord with section 532 of the Fiscal Year 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, there is now ONE set of criteria that is used by the Armed Forces in determining whether an individual is a graduate of homeschooling.

According to a memo issued by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense in June 2012, the following criteria will be used to determine whether a credential represents a bona fide homeschool diploma for the purposes of military enlistment:

• First, the applicant must follow state guidelines. In a state requiring that parents notify the state or school district, we must have verification of that notification.

• Second, the curriculum must involve parental instruction and closely parallel the traditional high school curriculum, which in turn necessitates review of transcripts to ensure that courses are comparable and the education program is not inappropriately accelerated.

• Third, the applicant must have been in the home school for the final 9 months (academic year) to eliminate those who drop out of tradition school during their senior year and then assert a claim they were home schooled.

The bigger hoop to have to jump are the minimum required SAT/ACT test scores:

Frequently Asked Questions: Who Should Apply?

The SMART Program aims to increase the number of scientists and engineers in the DoD…. Applicants must be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the About SMART page.

All Awardees Must Be

• a U.S. citizen at time of application,

• 18 years of age or older as of August 1, 2016,

• able to participate in summer internships at DoD laboratories,

• willing to accept post-graduate employment with the DoD,

• a student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of award and,

• pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the About SMART page.

In Addition

From what I read they want SAT/ACT scores from college freshmen. It didn't look like they required those scores if are you beyond freshman year.