Menu

Where to buy a fridge and washer & dryer?

Scrub Jay

Lowes or Home Depot maybe? 

We have a Metro Appliance Store near us that has great prices on appliances. We've bought a washer/dryer and a dishwasher from there for relatively cheap. Not sure if there is one in your state, though. 
If you're not too picky, some scratch and dent stores usually have brand new appliances that just have some cosmetic issues. 

I can't say enough bad things about Sears :)

I bought a washer/dryer from Home Depot over a holiday weekend when they were offering crazy good prices. My washer was leaking so I needed something in stock that would be delivered in days. The salesman assured me computer said there was plenty in stock so I schedule a delivery.

Days later I get a call they don't have them in stock. I called and yelled at them so many times (I'm ashamed to admit :) but I did get promised items delivered sooner than later

The delivery guys told me this happens during every holiday sale (they oversell and can't deliver).

Aside from that glitch I was happy with Home Depot.

DH and I perceive a change in business model by both Lowe's and Home Depot. Complete range of appliances are sold only online for home delivery or for in-store pickup. If anything is in the store for viewing, nothing is in stock; everything must be ordered.

Our pre-Flood dishwasher completed its final reincarnation a month ago. Last weekend we finally could go shopping. The chosen dishwasher will arrive in town on May 18th following which delivery will be scheduled. (Was ordered on May 3rd.)

Best Buy no longer is on my list of stores for appliances. It used to be; however, now they focus on appliances for the fabulously wealthy. I now can say that, with my own hands, I have touched a $10,000.00 refrigerator.

If we buy new, we go with a locally owned appliance store, not a big box place. A little higher price, but more knowledgable salespeople and they service what they sell.

That said, we usually buy used off craigslist.

• Like 1

I start with internet searches for the type of product. After I pick one, I usually go with a local appliance store that I trust or a big chain like Lowe's. A couple of times I have contacted the manufacturer to find a distributor. So far, so good.

Check Consumer Reports first to figure out what brand/model you want.  I haven't found the sales clerks at most of the big box stores to do anything other than just read the info card on the items :)  

We've had good luck with Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy.  If you're OK with a floor model, you can search for them online at Best Buy (their website -> Store locator -> enter your info -> click on the store name -> Open Box & Clearance Items).  We bought our fridge, washer, and dryer that way.

We recently bought a floor model from Sears Outlet and I will never ever do that again.  The unit itself was fine but the customer service to actually get the item was nonexistent.

We have bought several at the Sears outlet stores, but there isn't one near us now, and we don't have a truck to go get one anyway. But if you have one nearby, the discounts are amazing if you can live with a small ding or two; they come with the same warranties and options for extended warranties.

We bought a stove and a fridge within the last eighteen months, both from Home Depot. They had the best prices for what we wanted, plus free delivery.

Ha. I came in the thread to say "anywhere but Sears."

I've bought from Home Depot and Lowe's for appliances. They've both been fine even when I've had to deal with customer service. Both charge for every stinkin' little thing, but if you or your dh are handy you can avoid some of the charges by doing installation yourselves.

• Like 1

I bought my speed queen washer from a local appliance store. Their prices for that, and my Meile vacuum were comparable to any I saw online and their service was stellar. For my dryer and dishwasher I just ordered online from Home Depot and it was in my home in a few days. My 23-year-old fridge is still tickng, but it's the only thing left to replace.

Ikea has appliances, but it have no clue how good they are.

We bought our washer and dryer and refrigerator from Lowe's about five years ago, and bought a dishwasher for my mom a few months ago.  I have only good things to say about their customer service.  They use local contractors who take their Lowe's contract very seriously.  The few times I've had to call, I've contacted Lowe's, and I've heard back from the local repair shop the same day (or early the next day).  They always come out promptly, and worked efficiently.  

I highly recommend Lowe's.

I check consumer reports.

Then I compare model prices between lowes/Home Depot and a local appliance shop that we also use for service. If the price difference is not huge I buy from appliance shop. I've found the crazy low prices at Lowes/Home Depot sales are often on models that have lower ratings than I want.

If we buy new, we go with a locally owned appliance store, not a big box place. A little higher price, but more knowledgable salespeople and they service what they sell.

So far, when we've bought locally, prices have been about the same as Lowe's or Sears (which carries every brand but not usually in stock. :glare: )

A few years ago when we could not afford to replace the washing machine, I spent six months washing clothes in the bathtub.  So I truthfully could have posted to this thread that I purchased the washboard from Turner Hardware!  :D

I think I remember coming on the boards here asking for recommendations for purchasing a mangle. 

We have had excellent service from Sears over the years with their extended warranty program.  

However, I had an appliance repair man come for a freezer bought elsewhere a few years back and he was explaining how really all appliances are made by 1-3 places and they just put different labels on them.  So unless you are going high end, you are really buying the same thing...look for the off brand and save some money...it's made the same.  

I found also, local appliance places can be a good place to find deals.  Don't be afraid of a scratch/dent sale.  The local service will be good...they want your repeat business!