Menu

Resource overkill....? :)

I was just wondering how many out there over-acquire resources?

I was cleaning off shelves and realized that through various used book sources (including other homeschool parents) I have acquired the following resources for Pre-Algebra or Algebra I:

CLE 700, 800, Algebra I

Key to Algebra

LOF Basic Algebra

AGS Pre-Algebra and Algebra

Dolciani's Pre-Algebra An Accelerated Course

Jacobs Elementary Algebra

Foerster's Algebra I

Zaccaro Real World Algebra

Glencoe Algebra I

Plus my college Algebra textbook

I guess I was really trying to cover my bases.   Thank goodness I never paid even close to full price for anything but the CLE materials.  :lol:

Anyone else?  Please share (so I won't feel like such a loon).   :)

• Like 9

:big: Yep, the "never paid full price" is a great blessing for you.

PS: Is it wrong that I covet a few of the gems in your collection?

:laugh:   Well no since the reason I have so many is my coveting of others' resources.   ;) 

Honestly, I lucked out with several since a few homeschool moms I know personally have sent their last child off or are in those last couple of years and just wanted to get rid of stuff.  I got LOF free.  Same with a couple of others.   Some are a little on the worse for wear side, but LOF looks brand new.   If DH realized how many resources we have for Algebra I he'd think I lost it.  I didn't remember having all of these.  

• Like 1

I aspire to having my own curriculum resource lending library one day!

I love working through math texts and hunting out interesting problems, I am always on the lookout for clever or memorable explanations of mathematical concepts. 

Yeah, apparently me too.   :)

As for the other, that is interesting!  What resources have you found useful so far?

You don't have Lials algebra books in your collection. You don't have Larson (Holt) either.

I have AoPS and Larson (Holt California edition) for algebra. The rest I just make use of the library because I have no space left in my bookshelves.

I do have overflowing resources for German and Chinese.

• Like 1

You don't have Lials algebra books in your collection. You don't have Larson (Holt) either.

I have AoPS and Larson for algebra. The rest I just make use of the library because I have no space left in my bookshelves.

I do have overflowing resources for German and Chinese.

Oh, dear.  So I need Lials and Larson (Holt) to feel complete?  :)

• Like 1

What's really dumb is I'm not even remotely mathy...

Who cares? Your shelves are mathy. Don't you know that having mathy shelves is the first step to giving serious thought to becoming mathy yourself? One can not become mathy if you are not first willing to mathify your shelves.

• Like 25

A good portion of my collection was bought out of insecurity.

The rest was just obsession and greed (must have all knowledge, on all things, available at my fingertips at all times .. whether I read/use it or not -- I have it whenever I want or need it and that is the point).

• Like 9

I do have more test tubes and other science supplies than I should need :)

Of course overbuying of test tubes was just in case my kids break some. I bought a box of 100 test tubes.

I donated my overstock of unopened boxes of Crayola crayons. I do still have an overstock of spiral notebooks and small post its which are finally being used up for math.

• Like 4

Who cares? Your shelves are mathy. Don't you know that having mathy shelves is the first step to giving serious thought to becoming mathy yourself? One can not become mathy if you are not first willing to mathify your shelves.

Now this is why I have singapore wkbk, cwp, IP, process skills, beast academy, zacarro, mathematical reasoning, borac, glen (hard math for elementary students?) and a couple of levels of math u see. And my oldest is only 6. Lol

May not be as much as yours, but feel better? :)

• Like 2

I have way too many science curriculum and while I like all of them, I am having heck of a time deciding on what to do when.

For all other subjects I think I only have one.

Wait!!! No, I have two for LA and am working hard on resisting the urge to get another one.

I think I am doomed

• Like 1

Now this is why I have singapore wkbk, cwp, IP, process skills, beast academy, zacarro, mathematical reasoning, borac, glen (hard math for elementary students?) and a couple of levels of math u see. And my oldest is only 6. Lol

I think you are I established awhile back that we are curriculum buddies.  Are you using BA with your 2nd grader?  Do tell!

• Like 1

I had not thought of it from this perspective. I'm feeling very enlightened. :)

• Like 2

I consider myself a bit of a "curriculum collector" (though in my defense, I buy much of it used also)...  I have a reputation among my friends; whenever someone is curious about a curriculum they call me to see if it is on my shelf so they can look through it before buying :D  I knew I was in trouble when my oldest was only 6 and I already had more than 15 Latin programs :blush:

I spend a lot of time reading through everything I buy, and I honestly feel that I have become a much better teacher through doing that, even if I eventually settle on doing only one curriculum at a time. And sometimes when teaching something, I reference other curricula just to get a broader perspective or different ideas for how to present something. Also, this gives me a whole lot to choose from when my DDs are ready, since maybe they will need different programs than the ones I have used with DS.

We often double up on curriculum, just for variety of presentation methods. I don't do this if DS doesn't like the subject, but I've found it really helpful and fun for him in his areas of strength and interest. For instance, in math we do mainly SM, but we also sometimes throw in BA for an extra challenge, and he has read through all LOF books up through Pre-Algebra just for fun. In Latin we mainly do Lingua Latina, but sometimes I throw in Cambridge or Minimus for a little easy reading practice and additional vocab, and Latin Alive for a little more grammar instruction.

That being said, I collect a lot less now than I did a few years ago, mainly because I am somewhat "settled" on what I am using currently, and because I know DS as a student and myself as a teacher well enough to eliminate a lot of curricula on first pass. But we do have middle school coming around the corner, and then high school, so I'm sure I'll start collecting again soon!

• Like 3

I think you are I established awhile back that we are curriculum buddies.  Are you using BA with your 2nd grader?  Do tell!

Yes!  We are science buddies.  ;)  Although, I think we are using the same LA books as well.  Unless, you decide to use ELTL.  :)  I saw your thread and people were already telling you if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I figured you didn't need another person saying the same thing.  :)  I actually am curious about it too.  Just have to find it at a homeschool sale. 

I'm just reading BA 3A and 3B to him.  I didn't get the workbook.  Yet.  heehee

Speaking of science........I just got a new curriculum.  :)  It's called Sassafras.  It's gotten some bad reviews, but I think it's what I want right now in addition to the other curriculums (curricula?).  Have you ever heard of it?  It's a living book.  Apparently, it's light on science and has some grammatical errors in the book.  I'm going through the book now and crossing out/editing it.  I'm going to read the story to them while they color.  I'm hoping to do the logbook together.  This is how I get Sotw done without dh's help. 

I also put an order in simply charlotte mason.  I got outdoor secrets and it's companion and Jack's insects.  These are living books as well.  This was recommended in another thread. 

So OneStep, you are not alone!  :)  Thank goodness for these sales! 

• Like 2

I feel your pain.  My math shelf looks about like yours.  The more insecure I feel about a subject, the more resources I have to gather around me to shore me up.  For me, that means a LOT of math.  At one point, I owned several levels of Saxon, and I have only ever used Saxon for ONE WEEK with ONE CHILD.  

• Like 6

I feel your pain.  My math shelf looks about like yours.  The more insecure I feel about a subject, the more resources I have to gather around me to shore me up.  For me, that means a LOT of math.  At one point, I owned several levels of Saxon, and I have only ever used Saxon for ONE WEEK with ONE CHILD.  

:lol:

Don't get me started on math curriculum for elementary.  That I DID know I had waaaaay too many of.  :)

I consider myself a bit of a "curriculum collector" (though in my defense, I buy much of it used also)... I have a reputation among my friends; whenever someone is curious about a curriculum they call me to see if it is on my shelf so they can look through it before buying :D I knew I was in trouble when my oldest was only 6 and I already had more than 15 Latin programs :blush:

I spend a lot of time reading through everything I buy, and I honestly feel that I have become a much better teacher through doing that, even if I eventually settle on doing only one curriculum at a time. And sometimes when teaching something, I reference other curricula just to get a broader perspective or different ideas for how to present something. Also, this gives me a whole lot to choose from when my DDs are ready, since maybe they will need different programs than the ones I have used with DS.

We often double up on curriculum, just for variety of presentation methods. I don't do this if DS doesn't like the subject, but I've found it really helpful and fun for him in his areas of strength and interest. For instance, in math we do mainly SM, but we also sometimes throw in BA for an extra challenge, and he has read through all LOF books up through Pre-Algebra just for fun. In Latin we mainly do Lingua Latina, but sometimes I throw in Cambridge or Minimus for a little easy reading practice and additional vocab, and Latin Alive for a little more grammar instruction.

That being said, I collect a lot less now than I did a few years ago, mainly because I am somewhat "settled" on what I am using currently, and because I know DS as a student and myself as a teacher well enough to eliminate a lot of curricula on first pass. But we do have middle school coming around the corner, and then high school, so I'm sure I'll start collecting again soon!

This is how I feel too. At least that's what I tell myself. :)

• Like 2

I am the same way-- I currently have two and a half shelves devoted to American History and one full shelf of stuff loaned out-- that is a LOT of American history!!!  My math shelf is currently being paired down (but I am looking at some sort of Algebra review for during geometry)  Science shelves-- don't get me started. 

In my defense, I have elem, ms, and HS students, --I also buy stuff for super cheap at thrift stores and I am super poor-- I have always bought 'whatever' I found so that I would at least have "something" when I needed it. I currently sold some Apologia texts for super cheap-- but still made a huge profit and gave someone else a great deal. 

A couple of weeks ago I was researching art books and did some rabbit trailing an Amazon-- then I decided to look at my shelf-- I had three of the books I was lusting after already on the shelf!!!

• Like 3

I am the same way-- I currently have two and a half shelves devoted to American History and one full shelf of stuff loaned out-- that is a LOT of American history!!!  My math shelf is currently being paired down (but I am looking at some sort of Algebra review for during geometry)  Science shelves-- don't get me started. 

In my defense, I have elem, ms, and HS students, --I also buy stuff for super cheap at thrift stores and I am super poor-- I have always bought 'whatever' I found so that I would at least have "something" when I needed it. I currently sold some Apologia texts for super cheap-- but still made a huge profit and gave someone else a great deal. 

A couple of weeks ago I was researching art books and did some rabbit trailing an Amazon-- then I decided to look at my shelf-- I had three of the books I was lusting after already on the shelf!!!

:lol:   BTDT!  :)

• Like 1

I was just wondering how many out there over-acquire resources?

Anyone else?  Please share (so I won't feel like such a loon).   :)

Seriously? People do this?  How odd. 

Personally, I carefully research each subject beforehand and then purchase quality material used at a very good price.  I have always acquired the perfect fit for my DD in each subject.  And then I sell the material used at a slight profit. I thought that's what every Well-Trained Educator Mom did. Hmm.

• Like 4

Personally, I carefully research each subject beforehand and then purchase quality material used at a very good price.  I have always acquired the perfect fit for my DD in each subject.  And then I sell the material used at a slight profit. I thought that's what every Well-Trained Educator Mom did. Hmm.

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Oh, my gosh!  I crack myself up!

When DH finally gives me the heave ho, he's gonna go nuts trying to find the "Too freaking many textbooks" box on the "Reason for Dissolution" form.

• Like 9

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Oh, my gosh!  I crack myself up!

When DH finally gives me the heave ho, he's gonna go nuts trying to find the "Too freaking many textbooks" box on the "Reason for Dissolution" form.

OMWord. I am so glad I checked back here before I posted my reply to your first post. You need a /sarcasm postscript on that. :lol:

• Like 6

I need a "Too many ewaste" box :lol: to be fair it's an occupational hazard in his case working in the semiconductor industry.

• Like 3

I am a researcher and a fine-tuner, so I buy lots of books and more curriculum than I probably need...and yet I wouldn't call it overkill. For me it's more like being a chef with a well-stocked pantry. :D

As I've said here before, I buy lots for the subjects I'm most nervous about teaching and the ones I'm most excited about teaching and the ones I'm most bored with teaching and the ones I'm most sick of teaching... If I have too much of anything, it would be writing. I'm pretty confident about teaching writing too. And I like teaching it. And my kids like writing. So, really, I should not be so addicted to writing resources. But I can't stop acquiring them. Actually, probably because I do a writing workshop here, where I Frankenstein many things together to produce daily lessons, I have purchased relatively few writing curricula (all of WWE/WWS and CAP's Writing and Rhetoric, quite a few things from IEW, and virtually every product in the Brave Writer family), but I buy lots and lots and lots of writing books...and pretty paper and pens. Lots and lots of pretty pens...

I don't have too much Algebra (only three, LOL, AoPS, Jacobs, and Foerster), but I do have waaaaaay too many math supplements in general. We could drown in math supplements over here. 

• Like 4

:lol:   Glad you posted another one after this.  I was kind of freaking out that a human being actually had successfully done that.  :)  (Although maybe they really are out there....)

• Like 4

I am a researcher and a fine-tuner, so I buy lots of books and more curriculum than I probably need...and yet I wouldn't call it overkill. For me it's more like being a chef with a well-stocked pantry. :D

As I've said here before, I buy lots for the subjects I'm most nervous about teaching and the ones I'm most excited about teaching and the ones I'm most bored with teaching and the ones I'm most sick of teaching... If I have too much of anything, it would be writing. I'm pretty confident about teaching writing too. And I like teaching it. And my kids like writing. So, really, I should not be so addicted to writing resources. But I can't stop acquiring them. Actually, probably because I do a writing workshop here, where I Frankenstein many things together to produce daily lessons, I have purchased relatively few writing curricula (all of WWE/WWS and CAP's Writing and Rhetoric, quite a few things from IEW, and virtually every product in the Brave Writer family), but I buy lots and lots and lots of writing books...and pretty paper and pens. Lots and lots of pretty pens...

I don't have too much Algebra (only three, LOL, AoPS, Jacobs, and Foerster), but I do have waaaaaay too many math supplements in general. We could drown in math supplements over here. 

I LOVE that.  I am so stealing that if anyone questions me.  In fact, I am using it tomorrow when we have a homeschooling meeting at my house.  :)

• Like 3

I'm about to do another purge. I'm just trying to put it off a bit, because I'm really in a funk, and even though I have never regretted purges in the past, and I don't CURRENTLY believe this one will be different, the feedback I'm getting from others about this current funk, is making me a little hesitant. 

Too many books requires a lifestyle commitment I'm not willing to make.

Being scattered amongst more books than I can master and memorize, doesn't make a better teacher, just a more scattered one. Yes, the information is in the BOOKS, but if it's even in my head at all, it's not organized into something useful.

That's all sane thoughts, but right now, I'm questioning big questions about life in general, and there is very very very little that I think is important. I know my students are expected by powerful people to know certain things, if they want to be accepted and included, but...does even THAT matter? Oh, wait, I'm not even sure if the continuation of the human race is important. :leaving:

Like I said, I'm in  a real funk this week. It might not be a good time to purge or help someone else purge. 

• Like 2

I have almost the same list of resources on my shelves. Substitute Miquon for Math U See, subtract Borac, then add in Life of Fred, the entire Flash Kids Problem Solving series (which DD1 adores), Bedtime Math, and Penrose the Mathematical Cat, and you're looking at the top shelf in our dining room. My oldest is six as well. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

I need to stop reading this thread bc evidently there are a lot of various curriculum that I never heard of and now am looking up......

Also, I propose that the phrase "resource overkill" be permanently banned from this forum as we just established that it's myth and  no such thing exists. 

• Like 7

I recently purged 6 boxes of "resources" from my shelves.  Apparently, people liked them, because they exited the Thrift shop pretty quickly!

For math, I'm down to:

Pre-Algebra:  Chalkdust, LoF and AoPS

Algebra 1:  Chalkdust, LoF, AoPS, Foerster and Lial's

Algebra 2: Chalkdust, LoF, AoPS, Foerster and Lial's

Geometry:  Jacob's, LoF, AoPS

Pre-Calc:  Chalkdust, LoF and AoPS

I also culled out a bunch of science...but I'm replacing it gradually :p  I think the only "resource" I have right now is a Campbell and Reese text...everything else is living books, or textbooks in use.

• Like 1

Being scattered amongst more books than I can master and memorize, doesn't make a better teacher, just a more scattered one. Yes, the information is in the BOOKS, but if it's even in my head at all, it's not organized into something useful.

I'm purging, too. I'm not sure yet how severely. We move back to the States this summer, into a much smaller house, and I have to pack for one trip there after accumulating books over three trips here.

I was showing my husband a great book I have and asking him he thought a certain friend of ours here could use it. He agreed that it looked good and asked, couldn't I use it? I said I could. BUT .. It has been my habit to make decisions based on what I "could" do, what I would like to do—I need to make decisions based on the reality of what I actually do. The reality is that I have owned this book for years and done nothing with it but crack it, flip through it, and move it from one shelf to another, one continent to another. And it is literally weight—and I feel the burden of it not just as I load up suitcases but psychologically as well. My obssession has left me very scattered, and I feel two years of tiredness in my brain. I need, weight limits aside, to travel light this trip.

• Like 3

I'm about to do another purge. I'm just trying to put it off a bit, because I'm really in a funk, and even though I have never regretted purges in the past, and I don't CURRENTLY believe this one will be different, the feedback I'm getting from others about this current funk, is making me a little hesitant. 

That's all sane thoughts, but right now, I'm questioning big questions about life in general, and there is very very very little that I think is important. I know my students are expected by powerful people to know certain things, if they want to be accepted and included, but...does even THAT matter? Oh, wait, I'm not even sure if the continuation of the human race is important. :leaving:

Like I said, I'm in  a real funk this week. It might not be a good time to purge or help someone else purge. 

:grouphug:   And thank you.  You're making my own funk look comparatively better.  :leaving:

• Like 3