Menu

High school plans for 2015-2016

Debbie, I just saw this. Are you serious? Nothing to plan for? No PAHS classes to discuss?  Wow, girl! You can lend a hand over here if you are bored. :D

I know can you believe it? Ds graduates in a couple of weeks and Dd prefers 'get-er-done' CC classes instead of APs. She'll learn less, but she is taking them in all non-major areas and we do all the major area study together. She is solid and ready for college. The CC fits her style better in so many ways, live teachers/peers, more solid schedule to keep her on track, getting out and away from me... the list goes on :)

I'm feeling left out of planning now, but this time next year will probably be even worse.

• Like 3

My Rising 10th grader

Saxon Advanced Math

World History

Chemistry

Latin

English -- I m' not certain what I'm doing yet, cobbling from the resources I have here

I think I need to add another class but I'm not sure what to add.

She is also in 2 choirs and might be accompanist for a third. Also piano lessons.

What about health? Personal finance? 

Does she have an interest or goal? What about a class that is in her area of interest? For ds that was creative writing classes, for dd that was extra sciences, nutrition, athletic training. What is your dd's interest?

What about health? Personal finance? 

Does she have an interest or goal? What about a class that is in her area of interest? For ds that was creative writing classes, for dd that was extra sciences, nutrition, athletic training. What is your dd's interest?

I was thinking health or advanced logic of some sort. She actually write novels in her free time. She has at least two going right now -- one editing and one writing. She loves to sing,; both her choirs are ones she had to audition into. And music and piano competitions take up quite a bit of her time. Oh and she also draws well enough that she has been paid for some of her drawings.

She is very talented and smart but has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She is my hardest child to figure out.

• Like 1

I was thinking health or advanced logic of some sort. She actually write novels in her free time. She has at least two going right now -- one editing and one writing. She loves to sing,; both her choirs are ones she had to audition into. And music and piano competitions take up quite a bit of her time. Oh and she also draws well enough that she has been paid for some of her drawings.

She is very talented and smart but has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She is my hardest child to figure out.

What a great list of hobbies and interests. You could turn any of them into credits, but they all remain wonderful as extracurriculars too! I would make sure whatever you add you make sure she continues to have time for writing, music and drawing. Ds is a bit like that too. He really doesn't know what he wants to do when it comes to a career, but he knows writing is writing is a passion, so he is going to pursue it in college. I have no idea what he'll "do" some day.

Although I have a written-down list of curriculum I thought we would use (and still might use), I think I'm just going to put it aside and completely unschool during the high school years (much to ds's delight).  My girls attended top high schools and I've come to many realizations.  Hope I can still stay here.    

:leaving:  

It would be interesting to hear about your realiations since I am possibly about to pull my kid from a top middle school that goes up to 12th grade for next school year with much angst over my decision.

It looks like I'm going to be homeschooling a tenth grader for 2015-2016. My previous homeschooling experience was one kid for 2nd grade back in 2003-2004.

Kiddo wants to take three classes at school:

honors algebra II

choir

honors civics/history class focused on ancient Greece and Rome

If we can get those three classes in the last half of the day (so kid is already at school for after-school activities), DH and I will cover the following at home:

Spanish

bio

English

Currently trying to decide if we should unschool bio or work to make it a lab science credit. Primary goal is to reduce kiddo's stress and provide for more child-directed learning. Kid can't decide how important the college-prep component is.

Currently trying to decide if we should unschool bio or work to make it a lab science credit. Primary goal is to reduce kiddo's stress and provide for more child-directed learning. Kid can't decide how important the college-prep component is.

Biology is really pretty easy to add labs to. I'd do it so they are there just in case. 

• Like 2

DD will be "10th" grade next year.  I'm not completely done tweaking and messing with plans yet - I'm sure I'll get something set in stone and then have to start over from scratch again as this seems to me my typical way of doing things....

English: Teaching the Classics/Window to the World combo or possibly a lit/writing class at a local coop

US history/US government

Science: Prentice Hall Chemistry probably with the online class from Homeschool Connections and Oak Meadow labs to go with it

Math: Geometry - either Jacobs, Math Without Borders/Kolbe, or the Homeschool Connections class

Foreign language: Latin - Oak Meadow - Cambridge Latin

Fine arts: piano/art

Then again everything is subject to change.... :lol:

JoAnne

• Like 1

Only if you share your realizations...  ;)

It would be interesting to hear about your realiations since I am possibly about to pull my kid from a top middle school that goes up to 12th grade for next school year with much angst over my decision.

Ok.  But understand, these are only my personal experiences and thoughts.  I am very confident in this decision and have no doubts it's right for ds.  This is in no way an affront to anyone else's method of homeschooling.  I would have answered sooner, but I don't want to divert this thread.  

- Children don't learn or retain anything (well) that isn't in context to what they need at that time.
- Exposing them to a variety of resources, opportunities, and experiences (with no coercion) opens their minds better than anything else.
- Youngest dd never had any lessons in writing but got all As and fantastic teacher comments on every English paper she wrote in high school.  She was praised for her creativity and use of words.  I found that very interesting. 
- Ds overcame 90% of his visual processing disorder and dyslexia in 2 years He went from a "severely impaired" diagnosis at age 11 to reading fluently, smoothly, and above grade level at age 13 (with full comprehension).  We just had fun with multi-sensoral games and materials (white board, flash cards, videos, hand/string/juggling/card games, magic, etc). Doing my own research along with having fun together probably worked better than any "program" I could have put him in.
- After 9 years of doing everything humanly possible to get ds to pick up a book for pleasure, I gave up.  This week, after a month of total unschooling, he asked if he could have the new tablet I wasn't using - and if I would put the first Harry Potter book on it.  He wants to read the series. (jaw drop). So all I needed to do was back off and let it happen naturally.
- A happy and productive future is all about their interests anyway.  Oldest dd went to a high school for journalism, interned at an event-planning company, majored in marketing and management in college - and then realized all she really wanted (since she was 15, she admitted later on) was to do hair, but she was unsure if it could actually be a viable career. She's 21 now, a fully licensed hairdresser, and is loving her life working at an upscale salon (with her sights set on being a celebrity colorist.  She's being taught and mentored by one now).  Youngest dd has been dancing since she was 3.  She unschooled from 3rd to 8th grade, made a point to get herself accepted into the best performing arts high school in the country, and is now a professional dancer and 2nd-year student at a conservatory (living on the Upper West Side of Manhattan). She followed her dream.  Many of her friends with the same dream were pushed into more "stable and reliable" college majors (a few have already dropped out, btw).  Ds has had a passion for computers and engineering for several years now.  I will help him too follow his dreams attain his goals as best I can with him leading the way.
- My girls were always so enthusiastic, eager, and determined.  Academics in school (especially high school) bored them to tears.  Oldest dd learned the most being on the newspaper and yearbook committees and starting up a cheerleading squad in sophomore year and a fashion club in junior year.  She wanted to be a journalist (eventually a tv news or fashion reporter) - her journalism high school sucked all the joy out of that idea. Youngest dd loved only the advanced dance training in her school, which thankfully took up half of her school day.  I felt bad that the girls had to endure the rest of the day just to do what they were passionate about.  
- Ds must take an annual standardized test in the high school years (NY regs).  He will fill in any gaps in the weeks before taking the test (I think schooled kids do that a lot). And I know he'll score better than if we trudged through it all year.  He's even looking forward to doing PSAT and SAT workbooks with me.   
- Unschooling has shown me how much ds really loves to learn - and more importantly he knows HOW to learn.  He has been doing so much of his own research and comes to me for help and advice on projects he thinks of.  He has an ongoing, ever-changing list of interests - although some last for years and some he revisits.  
- The argument that kids just have to get used to doing what they don't want/like to do because they'll have to when they're older is a load of garbage.  Adults' lives are comprised of choices "in context" to their own goals.  Any work we adults do (or should be doing) is an outright means to ends we have created.  No one's forcing anything on us.
- And the most important realization -  I should have just followed my gut and did this all along instead of trying to squeeze him into a box created by my own insecurities and other people's opinions.  Lesson learned.  
  • Like 14

AAAACK! I am just dipping my toe into these waters. My ds will be a freshman, and here's what we're planning:

Geometry, MUS online class

Tapestry of Grace Year 2 units 3 and 4, Year 3, units 1 and 2 for the following:

- history

- government elective

- literature

- writing 

- worldview

- geography

Biology

Latin 1 online

Formal Logic 1

Computer programming elective

hopefully this summer he will wrap up Analytical Grammar and Phonetic Zoo spelling. If not, whatever of that remains until it is completed.

PE through his regular CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting training

Um, my oldest will be 9th grade and I have no friggin clue. Well, yes I do but I'm in denial that he will be high school. I vacillate between feeling fine about doing high school to full on panic. 

Logic...no idea. Taking suggestions. 

Did I get everything? 

Check out Compass Classroom - They have a video logic program that looks pretty good. I've ordered it. Waiting for to arrive. Obviously since I haven't tried it out I cannot recommend it, but it's worth a look.

• Like 2

Thanks for the logic suggestion. I need to crack open my WTM book and look at the recs there as well. I've just been staring at the book. Some part of me thinks that if I don't open the book to the high school section then it will buy me more time. 

I've decided that drinking a glass of wine while perusing this high school planning thread helps me not hyperventilate. 

• Like 7

I've decided that drinking a glass of wine while perusing this high school planning thread helps me not hyperventilate. 

Maybe I should try that advice when reading the college board. I'm quite sure I am just as panicked about having one going to college in the fall as you are about high school. The difference is that I have absolutely no control over what happens there! 

Wine sounds like a really good idea. Really. Maybe some chocolate... :leaving:

• Like 6

'Nother first timer.   :eek:  I think I have most of it nailed down.

Systemath Algebra 2

Online writing - prob WHA Honors Comp

Online lit - Center for Lit World lit

ACE Biology + Biology 101 vids + some books

Homemade World Wars history course

Online Spanish - La Clase Divertida

Elective - Economics/Finance

Elective - Civics?

• Like 2

My oldest will be in 10th next year.  And, if he's completely healed from his brain injury, we will do what is below. If not?  Then, I'm not sure.

Outsourced to our academic homeschool group:

World History (which will include literature)

World Religions

Russian 2

AP Art History (at homeschool group, but I'm the teacher)
NaNoWriMo (again, I'm the teacher, counted as part of his English credit)

At home:

Algebra 2 (Teaching Textbooks, with the injury, we need to do math in the easiest way possible)

Biology (again, easiest possible way, so T4L bio, with added labs)

Ap Psychology

The rest of English that is not covered in the World History and NaNoWrimo classes

This seems like a lot, but this kid is highly motivated, and craves more, more, more.  This year was hard, because I had to tell him no with so much of school because of his injury.  He is ready to jump back in, in spite of still having symptoms.  His neurologist said to try it, and if he needs to back down, to back down.

• Like 6

Ok.  But understand, these are only my personal experiences and thoughts.  I am very confident in this decision and have no doubts it's right for ds.  This is in no way an affront to anyone else's method of homeschooling.  I would have answered sooner, but I don't want to divert this thread.  

[...]
- And the most important realization -  I should have just followed my gut and did this all along instead of trying to squeeze him into a box created by my own insecurities and other people's opinions.  Lesson learned.  

Angela, I appreciate this so very much. Don't want to divert the thread either but (selfish though it is) it would have bothered me the whole day to not publicly thank you for taking the time to write this.

• Like 8

Hello! Just joined today.

I will be homeschooling a 10th grader next year.

Her course load plan at present:

Literature: Great Books, Romans year (sourced out)

World Geography

Latin 300 (sourced out)

High School Research and Reporting (sourced out)

Apologia Chemistry (unless I can find something we like better)

Algebra II (Foerster's)

Theology-10th grade

Piano (sourced out)

Art (homeschool co-op)

• Like 1

So....finally done planning...yeah!!!  Took me since Jan. to decide.  ha...

My 10th grader:

• History/Literature - Romans Media (not sure how many units depending on how many DE classes he takes)  w/me
  • World Civilization I - DE
  • Composition I - DE
  • Pre-Calculus - Derek Owens
  • Physics - Derek Owens
  • Bible - Old Testament w/me (1/2 credit)
  • AP Latin - Wilson Hill
  • German I - finishing year one w/ Rosetta Stone & native speaker tutoring  (1/2 credit)
  • Music Appreciation - DE  (taking this summer)
  • Health/PE - Total Health w/me & running and weight training

If first semester goes well he wants to also take:  Biblical Ethics and the 2nd Compositon class DE second semester....we'll see

Looks like a lot, but I think he can handle it...:-) 

• Like 1

World Geography

Latin 300 (sourced out)

Algebra II (Foerster's)

Theology-10th grade

Piano (sourced out)

Art (homeschool co-op)

Great Books? Do you have a link? 

• Like 1

Coming thru with my last and final high schooler.

9th grade in the fall:

History of the World - DD's favorite Ancients

Biology - Miller Levine

Math : Larson Calc with the AP test to follow if all goes smoothly

Lit - free-form.  We are going to read and dicuss our way thru Ancient Lit using a list and no plans..... We will divide this up into a 1/2 credit of Lit and 1/2 credit composition

2 band classes at the local high school (jazz and symphonic)

piano lessons

skiing and gym time and softball  to make up a PE credit

• Like 1

I'll have two in high school next year. 

Plans for my 12th grader:

Paradigm English 4

MUS Geometry

Rosetta Stone French

Paradigm Chemistry

plus 2 DE classes each semester - will probably be Freshman Comp 1&2, 1 Bible, and 1 Philosophy

Plans for my 9th grader:

Christian Adventure (Bible study based on Pilgrim's Progress)

Paradigm English 2; 3 Progeny Press Lit guides; Lit portion of Christian Adventure

Geometry (either MUS or TT, not sure which)

Rosetta Stone French

Paradigm Chemistry

Modern World History

Blessings,

Laura

• Like 1

I'm sad to say that my son will do 100% dual enrollment next year. He's taking an American history course this summer. After that, I'm not sure what he'll take. At this point, he needs to answer to someone besides me. I'm kind of excited about giving my 6th grader all of my teaching attention.

• Like 2

Here's a rough sketch of my dd's (15) plan for grade 10:

- math: Saxon Algebra 2 and/or AoPS intro to Algebra

- science: Biology; volunteering at the wild animal shelter

- Latin (Cambridge)

- writing: IEW

- literature and poetry: selected works

- history: ancient, resouces undecided

- P.E. soccer, swimming, skating, basketball, tennis

- music: violin grade 8 RCM,  strings ensemble, advanced music theory, concert band trumpet, choir

- art: outsourced course

• Like 1

10th grade

Saxon Algebra II w/Art Reed

Physics w/Derek Owens

U.S. History using Critical Thinking in US History, Great Courses History of US/Skeptics Guide to US History, and other resources

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Russian with tutor

Guitar with tutor

Possibly computer programming (java)

The issue I am having is addressing writing. DS is an excellent writer; however, he's not able to pre-write. He can't organize his thoughts into an outline, and he can't pull out key words or main points. If I give him an outline, he can write an amazing essay. He has ADHD/OCD, so I'm assuming that there is an executive function issue with the organizational aspect of writing. I want to really focus on that part of writing this year, but I'm not sure what would be the best approach. I know the IEW key word outline did NOT work (the rest of the program was perfect for him though since he likes clear procedures for everything). I bought the Lively Art of Writing and was planning on reading through it myself so I could better help DS. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :-)

• Like 2

Ds 10ti

MATH MUS Alg/Geometry (we switched programs this year so he's gotten a late start- he'll work through the summer with the imimtable Caitilin as tutor)

SCIENCE Chem -looking at Paradigm / History of Science SWB (he's a total fan-boy), A& P lab (he is finishing up A&P now) through local hospital labs with co-op

HISTORY of the Ren World -SWB

ENGLISH The Lost Tools of Writing, Shakespeare GC

LOGIC Intro Logic - co-op/ I'm teaching

FOREIGN LANGUAGE  2nd Form Latin (or Latin at the Catholic h.s); RS German II 

P.E.- Ballroom Dancing/ Volleyball

This summer and through the year

SAT Test Prep (on-line through Bridgeway Academy)

GOVERNMENT- CLEP prep book and test/ TeenPact alumni

1- day Cartooning camp, Shakespeare Camp, Drama Camp  

TeenPact Survival

TP Alumni

Tantara, Festival of One Act Plays

If another rock-star Mom steps up we might have a STOA club in town, in which case, ds will participate

Work this summer -local orchard 

He'll cram as much reading as he can in between everything else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dd will be in 12th next year.  Pretty much everything will be outsourced...  current plan is...

Physics @ CC

Precalculus @ Wilson Hill online

AP English Lit (2x week prep course @ ATI/MIT)

African Americian Lit @ CC (fall semester)

Arabic @ CC

German Lit (post AP) w/ tutor?

And then add in another elective in spring @ CC.  She thinks maybe Psychology.

My two other high schoolers (12th and 9th) will be in ps...

• Like 3

I'm feeling really lost right now. I should be planning next year, scrambling to find deals on curriculum, and generally panicking over what comes next. Instead, I'm here with nothing to plan, so I want to live vicariously through the rest of you. What are your plans for next year? Does anyone need any help planning :)

Ds - starting the college of his dreams

Dd 

English Comp CC

Sign Language 2 CC

American Government CC

College Algebra CC

Trigonometry CC

Anatomy & Physiology - Apologia +some great resources available through the CC

Physics - Derek Owens

You can help me!  :)

Actually, I do have a question about scheduling.  It seems like there is a wide range of how many classes one does per year in high school.  In our local public high school, they are on a system where they usually take just four classes per semester, for a total of eight each year.  It seems like others who spread it out throughout the year only take six or seven year-long courses, so that would be one or two less every year, and would make a big difference over four years.

So, what do we need to do and what makes the most sense for homeschoolers?  Basically I just want to know how many credits we should have over the four years in an ideal scenario.

Also, when you plan in CC or DE classes, I am assuming the ones you listed above are just one semester, how do you incorporate that?  If someone was taking mostly college classes, they could essentially be done in half the time, so how do you represent that on the transcript?  In your schedule above, how is that laid out?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

So, what do we need to do and what makes the most sense for homeschoolers?  Basically I just want to know how many credits we should have over the four years in an ideal scenario.

Also, when you plan in CC or DE classes, I am assuming the ones you listed above are just one semester, how do you incorporate that?  If someone was taking mostly college classes, they could essentially be done in half the time, so how do you represent that on the transcript?  In your schedule above, how is that laid out?

Many thanks!

I think anywhere from 6-8 credits per year looks normal to college admissions. We usually went for 7-8. I do a semester block system with my kids just like your school does, but only with some classes. We do math all year and when we were doing foreign language at home, we did that all year. Everything else we do semester blocks and do a whole year worth in 1 semester, just like a college schedule. My kids very much preferred having about 4-5 classes at a time instead of 7-8. It was the same number of total hours, just more focus on one thing at a time.

My dd will take her CC classes a couple at a time. She is actually taking 2 this summer, 2 in the fall and 1-2 in the spring. Then she is doing one science class each semester with me, for a total of 7-8 credits. I do a transcript by year, so all of the classes will be listed under the 2015-2016 school year. I don't specify semesters at all. I list the course, the number of credits and the grade. The registrar will eventually see exactly when she took what on the college transcript, but at least with ds, the college didn't ask for that until after he was accepted. Admissions wasn't concerned with it, only the registrar for credit transfer. 

Does that help any? Any more questions? Not everyone does it the way I do. That is the beauty of homeschooling. Other ways are perfectly acceptable. :)

• Like 2

Next year is either 8th, 9th, or 10th.  We'll know when he graduates.

English:  Something very homegrown.  We'll do some ancient/medieval world lit to go with history and some contemporary lit to make my son happy.  I'll probably split them into different courses on the transcript.  

Algebra 2.5:  Foerster.  We used Lial's Intermediate Algebra this year (I'll be calling it Algebra I on the transcript) and I'm thinking another year with a more difficult text would be helpful before precalculus.

Social science:  My current plan is to do to 1500 in Ways of the World as well as half of Contemporary Human Geography.  Both will have lots of supplemental reading.

Science:  Environmental science using Environmental Science: The Science Behind the Stories.  I think.  Lots of supplemental reading here too.

German:  Deutsch Aktuell with our wonderful tutor.  I hope.  I haven't actually asked her if she's up for another year.

• Like 5

Yes, very helpful, thanks!

So basically, if the child takes all CC/DE classes, they could take just three classes each semester and have six credits for the year and be done?  Not that we plan to do that, I just thought, it seems like you could do all of high school in half the time if you just went ahead and took the college level classes.

For us I am hoping that opens up time to take additional classes and pursue additional interests that the student wouldn't have had time to do otherwise, but I just want to be sure I am correct in thinking that a one-semester college class = a year-long high school class.  I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that, and don't want it to look like you're not taking the most challenging coursework available, etc., if you have a lot of college classes that took only half the time.  Do they look at it like that or am I overthinking that?

Yes, very helpful, thanks!

So basically, if the child takes all CC/DE classes, they could take just three classes each semester and have six credits for the year and be done?  Not that we plan to do that, I just thought, it seems like you could do all of high school in half the time if you just went ahead and took the college level classes.

For us I am hoping that opens up time to take additional classes and pursue additional interests that the student wouldn't have had time to do otherwise, but I just want to be sure I am correct in thinking that a one-semester college class = a year-long high school class.  I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that, and don't want it to look like you're not taking the most challenging coursework available, etc., if you have a lot of college classes that took only half the time.  Do they look at it like that or am I overthinking that?

Most college classes = 1 full credit in high school. Some people count all college classes = 1 credit in high school. Some consider if the material is truly equivalent to a year in high school. Some states have equivalents (Sue in St. Pete has posted one for FL).

If you are trying to present a competitive transcript and doing it all DE, I'd probably shoot for 4 classes/semester if they are all 3 hour classes. However, if you have some 4-5 hour math or science classes, 3 classes/semester is probably plenty. College classes really don't take half the time. A good quality college class will take a similar time investment to a full year high school class, although it will typically leave out a lot of the busy work. If it isn't covering at least as much as a high school class would in a year, it should probably not be counted as a full credit. Many high schools offer their classes on a block schedule where the kids take each class for one semester as you mentioned about the school near you. Again, no difference.

• Like 2

I believe this is fairly well set, though we won't be able to officially register with the school system program for a few days yet at least:

10th grade

Fall block:

Honors "Critical Reading and Effective Writing" (used to be called English 2) online via local high school part-time program

Sociology--same program (may or may not do--may decide to self-study for CLEP on this one instead)

Spring block:

Honors chemistry--same program

honors modern world history--same program

Year-long:

AP Psych---same program

Latin 2--same program

Saxon Adv. Math (pt. 1)--at home with Saxon Teacher dvds and the Virtual Homeschool Group online free at your own pace class

This would give her seven credits. In addition to this, she will continue with Girl Scouts (mostly just camping and trips), aikido (several days a week), kickboxing (once a week), and plans to start with Key Club (twice a month) and lead a 10 week creative writing club for our local co-op (with me as back-up).

My middle will be a senior next year.

My oldest is at college and my little guy will be entering junior high. Most of my concentration is on him, because junior high is when we ramp things up around here. :)

But I have one high schooler for the year, and we will be doing the college application thing.  I learned with the first one to make junior year the killer and leave room for the pile of work that is college/scholarship applications during senior year.

She takes most of her courses at the community college now, but still literature at home. She's finished with four credits of foreign language, so that isn't missing, just already checked off.

1. Some sort of literature/writing/rhetoric course all year - home with me

2. Statistics in the fall and DifEq in the spring (they only offer DifEq in the spring, so she has a gap to fill, thus the statistics) - cc

3. Chem I and II over two semesters - cc

4. Physics II in the spring (also only in the spring) - cc

5. Poli Sci in the fall - cc

6. Band - public high school

She does a lot with planes and engineering stuff, but she needs that for extracurriculars, so I'm not making it a course. She also works about ten hours a week as a tutor at the cc, flies RC planes, captains her robotics team, and volunteers. And studies for the SAT (learned my lesson there with the older one.)

• Like 1

And studies for the SAT (learned my lesson there with the older one.)

Meaning that studying for the SAT would have resulted in a higher score? 

How much studying is your daughter doing for it?  I know SWB suggests it in the WTM, but I haven't really been after my boys to study since I went in cold and did fine. On the other hand, that was years (decades! *sniff*) ago.

For Grade 9

1. Math - Saxon Algebra1/2   - 1 credit
  2. Science - Apologia Physical Science   - 1 credit
  3. English - American Lit   - 1 credit
  4. Bible - Christianity & the Bible: Ancients - 1/2 credit
  5. History -  History of the Ancient World - 1 credit
  6. Art - Ancient time period - 1/4 credit
  7. Technology - Electronics - 1 credit
  8. Geography - Canadian Geography - 1 credit
  9. Physical Education - (Co-op, Swimming) - 1/4 credit
  10. Logic - 1 credit

I am very nervous.  This kid LOVES history, like I love chocolate.   His Bible, Art and History courses are all focused on the Ancients this year.  Next year they will focus on the Medieval time period and in grade 11 they will focus on the Renascence time period and grade 12 the Modern time period.  I will also be tossing in a US History course and a Canadian History course somewhere also.  When he is done high school he would have 6 history credits, 2 Bible History Credits, 1 Art History Credit (this would be his Art credit).  Is it weird to have 8-ish credits tied back to history some way?  In Ontario our kids can have 12 elective credits, so part of these I would put towards electives. 

Myself, I did the one required history and ran for the hills when that dreadfully boring class was done.  However, my son is just in awe that people get paid to teach history. 

For Grade 9

1. Math - Saxon Algebra1/2   - 1 credit
  2. Science - Apologia Physical Science   - 1 credit
  3. English - American Lit   - 1 credit
  4. Bible - Christianity & the Bible: Ancients - 1/2 credit
  5. History -  History of the Ancient World - 1 credit
  6. Art - Ancient time period - 1/4 credit
  7. Technology - Electronics - 1 credit
  8. Geography - Canadian Geography - 1 credit
  9. Physical Education - (Co-op, Swimming) - 1/4 credit
  10. Logic - 1 credit

I am very nervous.  This kid LOVES history, like I love chocolate.   His Bible, Art and History courses are all focused on the Ancients this year.  Next year they will focus on the Medieval time period and in grade 11 they will focus on the Renascence time period and grade 12 the Modern time period.  I will also be tossing in a US History course and a Canadian History course somewhere also.  When he is done high school he would have 6 history credits, 2 Bible History Credits, 1 Art History Credit (this would be his Art credit).  Is it weird to have 8-ish credits tied back to history some way?  In Ontario our kids can have 12 elective credits, so part of these I would put towards electives. 

Myself, I did the one required history and ran for the hills when that dreadfully boring class was done.  However, my son is just in awe that people get paid to teach history. 

• Like 1

I think I have finally figured out 10th grade for my daughter next year. This of course depends on what her public school schedule will be like. She attends part time and they are still working out the block schedule for next year.

At public school:

Band

AP Music Theory

maybe a fun elective

At home:

AP Human Geography with PA Homeschoolers

Physics of Music and Sound

Algebra 2

Latin 100 (Lone Pine Classical School online)

Excellence in Literature lessons combined with a writing program (still deciding) and local tutor

I wish I could squeeze logic in there somewhere but I don't see it happening.

She will also be helping her old middle school band director with their band three mornings a week, doing girl scouts, and taking piano lessons.  Then there's marching band in the fall, pep band in the winter and possibly a mixed school orchestra all year. It exhausts me just thinking about it  :crying:

• Like 1

My daughter's schedule for 11th grade:

American Literature/Composition 

United States History - with FundaFunda AP schedule 

Latin - GSWS as "boot camp intro", then Henle with MODG syllabus

Chemistry - Apologia 2nd ed. via Virtual Homeschool Group

Algebra 2 - with Jann in Texas (Lial's Intermediate Algebra)

Personal Finance - probably use Dave Ramsey's materials OR the MFW set

*continue with USEF accreditation (minimum 3 competitive horse shows, 100 hours work)

*piano and guitar

• Like 1

Meaning that studying for the SAT would have resulted in a higher score? 

How much studying is your daughter doing for it?  I know SWB suggests it in the WTM, but I haven't really been after my boys to study since I went in cold and did fine. On the other hand, that was years (decades! *sniff*) ago.

Absolutely. My oldest studied some and improved, but not enough (she got a good admit anyway, but she had international awards this dd doesn't have.)  Preparation and studying definitely leads to higher scores.

• 3 weeks later...

Dd is our first high schooler so please weigh in. She's a self described singer/songwriter, writer (novels, screenplays, scripts), filmmaker so even though she thoroughly enjoys math and science, I don't think we're headed STEM.

Math - Chalkdust Geometry

Science - Biology w/ Science Shepheard and Landry Academy Lab Intensive

History - Tapestry of Grace Year 1 Rhetoric level with Great Courses woven in

English - TOG Ancients Rhetoric list, LTOW 2 writing class with TOG list as source material, Magic Lens III for grammar and Word Within the Word II for vocab

Logic - Discovery of Deduction and Argument Builder (she loves this but it may need to go given her other work in speech and debate)

Spanish 2 - BJU

Health - homemade course with Great Courses and CPR class

Fine Arts - Great Courses How to Listen and Understand Great Music - multi year I. High school for 1 credit

PE - running, tennis and golf

Extracurricular - theater/film group (we're still deciding), guitar lessons, competitive speech and debate team

• Like 1

Dd is our first high schooler so please weigh in. She's a self described singer/songwriter, writer (novels, screenplays, scripts), filmmaker so even though she thoroughly enjoys math and science, I don't think we're headed STEM.

Math - Chalkdust Geometry

Science - Biology w/ Science Shepheard and Landry Academy Lab Intensive

History - Tapestry of Grace Year 1 Rhetoric level with Great Courses woven in

English - TOG Ancients Rhetoric list, LTOW 2 writing class with TOG list as source material, Magic Lens III for grammar and Word Within the Word II for vocab

Logic - Discovery of Deduction and Argument Builder (she loves this but it may need to go given her other work in speech and debate)

Spanish 2 - BJU

Health - homemade course with Great Courses and CPR class

Fine Arts - Great Courses How to Listen and Understand Great Music - multi year I. High school for 1 credit

PE - running, tennis and golf

Extracurricular - theater/film group (we're still deciding), guitar lessons, competitive speech and debate team

It sounds very solid. I don't see any issues.

It sounds very solid. I don't see any issues.

Thanks Debbie.  Your posts have been so helpful in my planning process.  When I'm "done" planning, I plan to follow your example and pay it forward.  Thank you so much for what you do.

ETA:  Fixed tired eye spelling :crying:

• Like 1

10th grade plans have changed up a bit:

Math---Saxon Advanced Math pt 1 (per Art Reed) labeled as Geometry with Advanced Algebra on transcript---1 credit

English---Critical Reading and Effective Writing honors(online course through part time program at school system)--1 credit

Science--chemistry--1 credit

Foreign language---Latin 2--1 credit

Social science---AP Psychology---1 credit

elective---sociology---1 credit

Some of her classes are on a block schedule so that she will be done with English and sociology after first semester, so we may add in another elective in the spring, possibly art appreciation, creative writing, or music appreciation. She did a half credit of PE this year, could likely do another half credit next year if need be. She had 8.5 credits for freshman year (1 math, 1 science, 1 govt, 1 English, 2 foreign language, 1 elective in college/career planning, 1 art techniques, and .5 in PE), which was a bit more work than worked well with her extracurriculars, so I think we'll scale back a little this year.

• Like 1

World Geography

Latin 300 (sourced out)

Algebra II (Foerster's)

Theology-10th grade

Piano (sourced out)

Art (homeschool co-op)

So we have had a modification to our plans.

10th grade now looks like this.

Great Books, Romans Year

Latin 200 (repeat course due to an abysmal

Semester)

High school research and reporting (writing course supplement. )

Chemistry (Apologia)

AP Biology (FLVS--she wants more bio now

That we have done dissections.)

Algebra II (Foerster's)

Theology

Criminal Justice (FLVS--she wants this knowledge for her Creative Writing)

Introduction to careers in IT (FLVS--pre-req for some really cool design courses)

Not sure of what we will do with the transcript. :-/

She will also have 2

Sessions of labs with landry academy for both science courses.

• Like 1