Menu

High school plans for 2015-2016

So we have had a modification to our plans.

10th grade now looks like this.

Great Books, Romans Year

Latin 200 (repeat course due to an abysmal

Semester)

High school research and reporting (writing course supplement. )

Chemistry (Apologia)

AP Biology (FLVS--she wants more bio now

That we have done dissections.)

Algebra II (Foerster's)

Theology

Criminal Justice (FLVS--she wants this knowledge for her Creative Writing)

Introduction to careers in IT (FLVS--pre-req for some really cool design courses)

Not sure of what we will do with the transcript. :-/

She will also have 2

Sessions of labs with landry academy for both science courses.

Sounds good. I would just drop Latin from her 9th grade year and put it in 10th. 

Is Criminal Justice her social studies credit or is that the great books? I am assuming great books was her part English credit along with the research and reporting, but I don't know if it is also history in which case the Criminal Justice might be more of an elective.

So, I'm seeing 1 credit English: GB +writing, 1 credit FL: Latin, 2 credits science: Chem & AP Bio (dd did that in 10th too), 1 credit math: Algebra 2, 1 credit Social Studies: Criminal Justice, 1 elective credit: Theology.

It looks good from here. :)

Sounds good. I would just drop Latin from her 9th grade year and put it in 10th.

Is Criminal Justice her social studies credit or is that the great books? I am assuming great books was her part English credit along with the research and reporting, but I don't know if it is also history in which case the Criminal Justice might be more of an elective.

So, I'm seeing 1 credit English: GB +writing, 1 credit FL: Latin, 2 credits science: Chem & AP Bio (dd did that in 10th too), 1 credit math: Algebra 2, 1 credit Social Studies: Criminal Justice, 1 elective credit: Theology.

It looks good from here. :)

The criminal justice is just an elective. Because FLVS will issue a complete transcript, it will be included.

But her true intention is for it to be Nancy Drew 101 to provide her some basic background information to write her stories.

Our plan for social sciences is to pursue those via dual enrollment eventually.

She is doing a World History HS course right now. My suggested plan for her is American History for 2 semesters DE plus 1 semester of something else and then 1 semester of a high school government course. This will give her 3 credits of social studies.

After monitoring her Great Books

Course this year, I have assessed that it is

Inadequate to also count as social studies. They happen to also have a College credit track. They take the exact same course but so far more writing. Their listed suggested credits show quite clearly that over the 4 years total,

History is such a small percentage.

So we picked up World History for the summer and will look at DE options to make up the rest beginning next summer,

Possibly.

11 grader:

AP Calculus BC - PAHS

AP Statistics - PAHS

English - home + Brave Writer

US history - home

Biology - home

Latin 2 - home

Old Testament Survey - local

9th grader:

Algebra 2

Geometry

English

Latin 1

World History - Ancient - Renassance

Biology

Computer Programming

I think I have finally figured out 10th grade for my daughter next year. This of course depends on what her public school schedule will be like. She attends part time and they are still working out the block schedule for next year.

At public school:

Band

AP Music Theory

maybe a fun elective

At home:

AP Human Geography with PA Homeschoolers

Physics of Music and Sound

Algebra 2

Latin 100 (Lone Pine Classical School online)

Excellence in Literature lessons combined with a writing program (still deciding) and local tutor

I wish I could squeeze logic in there somewhere but I don't see it happening.

She will also be helping her old middle school band director with their band three mornings a week, doing girl scouts, and taking piano lessons.  Then there's marching band in the fall, pep band in the winter and possibly a mixed school orchestra all year. It exhausts me just thinking about it  :crying:

Of course we haven't even finished this school year and things are changing already. Sigh.

She does not want to quit choir at school even though that means she will have to go every day. They run on a block schedule and she was lucky this year that the classes she wanted were all on B days, so she only had to go every other day. Next year choir is on an A day and band on a B day. They are both late in the day so at least she can sleep in a little.

AP Music Theory will not be done at the high school because it will be the first block of A day. She is already committed to helping the middle school band directors out with practice next year, which would be at the same time as the class. We have a request in to the PAHS AP Music Theory teacher to see if she can take the class thru them even though she will only be in 10th grade. If not, she will probably just take it next year at school.

She and DH have also decided to stick with AoPS so she will be doing Pre-Calculus next year, if that's any different than Algebra 2  :confused1:

for 9th grade (My 1st highschooler)

English: Lightening Lit Early to Mid American & Mid to Late American

WWS2 - at an accelerated pace with some careful chapter skips. A boardie posted a plan to skip some of the repeated things a little while ago. My DD is a strong writer so has a good grasp of it but wants to do the new concepts.

Wordly Wise 10- DD love vocabulary

Math- Tabletclass Algebra 1 (switching from MUS)

History- U.S. History-using the Hewitt Homeschool history syllabus with BJU History text

Science-Apologia Bio

Foriegn Language- Greman on Currclick with Mr. G- She is preparing for a trip to Europe with her Chorus on June of 2016.

Music- She will continue with the Chorus and Piano. Both have theory and practical applications, She will compete in pIano and         perform a lot for Chorus.

PE: Taekwondo- She will be getting her Black Belt this year and will be competing in many tournaments.

• Like 1