Menu

Period pain

Chris in VA

(in teens)

So a teen I know really well has pretty severe cramps.

We've been using ibuprofen, but went to the Dr for other ideas.

It's so bad there's crying involved, and she's not wussy in any way.

He said Aleve, started several days before the actual arrival.

Anyone have success with that? He also gave a scrip for a muscle relaxer, which he said is only because of anecdotal evidence, and it's a low dose only to be taken at night, if needed.

Thoughts?

I have a dd with severe cramping so I've paid attention to the subject.  she also likes heating pads.

avoid dairy (organic doesn't contain BGH and seems to be okay)

b6

magnesium 3 - 4 x per day - helps to relax muscles

and naproxen (alieve)

I think the hardest things with teens is getting them to pay attention to their bodies. Doctors have prescribed naproxen before you could get it over the counter. Did he say how much to take? Also, the thought is awful, but exercise often helps. The next thing they will offer is BCPs.

Definitely follow what Dr. said to start before the actual arrival. Aleve (and ibuprofen) work to inhibit prostaglandins (pain-causing hormones), but they are both much more effective if inhibition is started before prostaglandin production starts. If she waits till after she feels pain to take something, she still has to wait for the already-produced prostaglandins to clear her system. 

Other than that, I've heard lying down with a heat pack/hot water bottle can be helpful. 

Seconding exercise. Also, maybe consider reusable products instead of disposable? The chemicals used in producing the disposables can negatively affect some women, I've heard. And in my own experience, I had much worse pain before I switched to reusables and started running regularly (unfortunately at the same time so I can't really know which was more effective). 

No fun, though. Hope she can get some relief.

I've heard lots of people say Magnesium starting a week before their period is supposed to start helps with both the extreme cramps and the flow isn't quite so bad. Occasionally heavy cramping can be from low progesterone too (the natural hormone, not the synthetic version used for BCP). I know my periods are much better when I'm taking progesterone cream. I use Pro-gest cream twice a day from ovulation through my period whenever my progesterone levels get too low because otherwise I have a super short luteal phase and just have awful cramps and such. 

I'd also suggest trying not to use tampons and see if that helps. I cannot use them because they cause severe cramping for me. 

• Like 1

Definitely follow what Dr. said to start before the actual arrival. Aleve (and ibuprofen) work to inhibit prostaglandins (pain-causing hormones), but they are both much more effective if inhibition is started before prostaglandin production starts. If she waits till after she feels pain to take something, she still has to wait for the already-produced prostaglandins to clear her system. 

:iagree:

When I was a teen (and into my 20s actually) I had horrific cramps, along with cold sweats, nausea, and diarrhea; it was so bad that I would often pass out, and I would miss a couple of days of school/college every month. When I was in grad school, they approved Anaprox (the Rx version of Aleve) for cramps, and it quite literally changed my life. I would start it a couple of days ahead, and it made an unbelievable difference. No more days spent in bed in agony, no more passing out, no more missed classes.

• Like 1

Before Aleve was available as an over-the-counter medication, I had a prescription for it. It was wonderful.  I no longer lost two to three days a month due to period issues.  When it became available over-the-counter, I switched to that even though it was a smaller dosage.  I found that taking a double dose initially (slightly less than my prescribed dosage) and then switching to a single dose at regular intervals worked well.  

I think the hardest things with teens is getting them to pay attention to their bodies. Doctors have prescribed naproxen before you could get it over the counter. Did he say how much to take? Also, the thought is awful, but exercise often helps. The next thing they will offer is BCPs.

Yes, she is to take one every 12 hours for 2-3 days before, and at least once the day of.

He said they don't prescribe BCP anymore, which is interesting, b/c I thought they still did. We nixed that idea before we even got there b/c of the hormones.

Anyway, she's off on a retreat for the next 2 nights, and I'm hoping it holds off.

My daughter is the same way. She's physically active and busy, but her period will lay her out flat. Her doctor prescribed ketorolac for the pain. I'm not overly thrilled with it - it's known to cause ulcers if you don't take it with food. However, dd says it's the only thing that even touches the pain. 

Another vote for aleve.  I have period cramps that will knock me down for 2-3 days a month.  Aleve helps me so much more than ibuprofen ever did.  This is also what I give my daughter when she requests pain meds for her cramps although she doesn't need it every month.  If you know it is coming and can start taking it before the pain hits its peak, then it will be the most effective. 

I second the 800 mg of ibuprofen, obviously with Dr approval. And has anything been said about looking into the why of this? I had crazy pain as a teen (and now, but it started then) and part of it was that I had cysts and endometriosis. Also, I was told to cut caffeine out of my diet(?). Aleeve never did a thing for me. But I do agree with starting whatever you choose to take a few days before hand and just continue until it's over. I was told that way it starts helping before it hits hard.

:iagree:

When I was a teen (and into my 20s actually) I had horrific cramps, along with cold sweats, nausea, and diarrhea; it was so bad that I would often pass out, and I would miss a couple of days of school/college every month. When I was in grad school, they approved Anaprox (the Rx version of Aleve) for cramps, and it quite literally changed my life. I would start it a couple of days ahead, and it made an unbelievable difference. No more days spent in bed in agony, no more passing out, no more missed classes.

I had this too and it was horrible. I remember one time almost passing out in the grocery store when I was in my early 20's. Aleve helped a ton - my dosage at the time was 550 mg 2x a day and it was a game changer. The rice microwaveable heating pad helps a ton!

If she is aware enough of her timing, and she's regular, taking calcium the week before helps.  Taking calcium and cutting out ALL dairy helps even more.  

There was some study (I have no idea when or where, my dh told me he ran across it) that showed calcium supplements helped alleviate cramps.  Unfortunately another study showed that the common advice of exercise does not help. 

Also, again if she's aware that she's about to start, take the Aleve as soon as possible, before it starts, before there is any pain.  

I had terrible pain as a teenager.  It is awful,  :grouphug:

Alieve makes a huge difference.  Taking them in advance makes a huge difference.

Low fat vegan food made a difference.  So did low carb dieting.  I wonder if what they have in common is less calories overall or just less sugar?

Having a tablespoon or two of unsulphored blackstrap molasses in a mug of warm milk each day (it tastes a lot like a chai latte) makes a huge difference, and also made my periods lighter.  Molasses has lots of vitamins, especially magnesium and iron.

Some people find caffeine makes cramps much worse.

Tampons always made my cramps worse when I was young.