Menu

Brontosaurus is back

Slartibartfast

I sort of love how you can do your field research in a museum collection. I heard a story awhile ago about a guy whose job was to go through all the old specimen collections and relabel them and recheck them in places like the Smithsonian Natural History Museum and I think he had the honor of discovering like three entire species. Most people out in actual fields can't claim that.

• Like 5

We had these heavy rubbery dinosaurs when I was little.  They had the name and weight of each molded in raised letters on their bellies.  Brontosaurus was always my favorite.  I was sad, years later, when I learned he wasn't really a "thing".  Now I'm happy!  He was a distinct species after all!  :)

• Like 1

I sort of love how you can do your field research in a museum collection. I heard a story awhile ago about a guy whose job was to go through all the old specimen collections and relabel them and recheck them in places like the Smithsonian Natural History Museum and I think he had the honor of discovering like three entire species. Most people out in actual fields can't claim that.

My dream job would be to work in the Smithsonian sorting the collections.

• 1 month later...

DH is a statistician who has worked on several paleontology projects. He's always struck by how little data there are about dinosaurs - in some cases, an entire species is determined based on ONE fossil find. There is so much error in this world. Remember the triceratops debate a few years ago?  

dd took a paleontology course this term in college. She noticed was that everyone wants to find a new species so many of the lit reviews she did were of people arguing that 'these 3 bones are significantly different than those 3 bones found there' and therefore my find is a new species!' & others arguing 'no, it's not'...