Menu

Is BJU "in bed" with Westboro Baptist? If not, what's up with the signs?

AimeeM

We live literally down the street from BJU, their presses, and their elementary/high schools. I turn down the road daily to hit Starbucks.

For the past week (same time of year as I saw the same, in previous years) there has been a pick up truck with a huge sign that says "God Da*n America" and "Repent or DIE" (or maybe it was "Repent or PERISH"), and "What Do You Need to do to Not Go to HELL?!"... with the older gentleman, and his young son/grandson, outside of BJU, but on their campuses, handing out pamphlets of some sort. 

Although I've lived in the area for some time, this is the ONLY area that I ever see these types of signs (scare-inducing?) - right in front of BJU, and using BJU's campus, so I'm assuming they approve. 

I have never heard of such language being used to evangelize, outside of Westboro Baptist. Especially referring to the God "da*ning" America sign.

ETA: BJU responded that they absolutely do not endorse the signs, and this man is protesting BJU. I hope they can do SOMETHING legally, maybe due to the profanity on the signs, because the children exiting the elementary school see these signs and have to walk very close to this "protestor's" vehicle; I also responded to the kind man down thread, that he may want to keep an eye on the man handing out literature - the boy with the man appears to be on BJU property.

That doesn't seem nearly offensive enough for Westboro.

It doesn't sound to me like the guy is BJU-sponsored. Sounds like he's protesting them? But that makes no sense, either. I can't imagine why they would be targeting BJU; what, is BJU too liberal for this guy? That's kinda mind-boggling. Lol Maybe BJU is just sympathetic and lets the guy park there while he evangelizes?

• Like 3

I have never heard of such language being used to evangelize, outside of Westboro Baptist. Especially referring to the God "da*ning" America sign.

I have. 

went to the ballet last fall. the traffic was a nightmare.  we drove past key arena - and those types of signs were out in force.   I wish I'd known there was an Elton john concert there that night.  I'd have made sure we left much earlier just so we could park!  (we parked 3/4 mile away and I had to walk.  in dress shoes!  lots of blisters.)

and the repent or die is totally cliché for a street preacher.

• Like 2

It doesn't sound to me like the guy is BJU-sponsored. Sounds like he's protesting them? But that makes no sense, either. I can't imagine why they would be targeting BJU; what, is BJU too liberal for this guy? That's kinda mind-boggling. Lol Maybe BJU is just sympathetic and lets the guy park there while he evangelizes?

it sounds like he's actually ON their property.  even westboro has to stay on the street.

I've seen that type of thing at liberal public universities. I wouldn't assume it is university-condoned.

(Example: https://daviswiki.org/Preachers_with_Signs)

a public university property rights are more open than a PRIVATE university property rights.  protestors can be on public property - but NOT private property without the property owners permission.  (or they can have the cops throw them off.)

• Like 1

Sounds like he's protesting them? But that makes no sense, either. I can't imagine why they would be targeting BJU; what, is BJU too liberal for this guy? That's kinda mind-boggling. 

You never know. Westboro picketed my university campus when Pat Robertson spoke there.

• Like 2

If you call, please let us know?

We had some crazy offensive signs like that at a nearby, large intersection.  It was in front of a Sheetz gas station, and we called to find out why these people with the signs were there.  We would have stopped shopping there, honestly, but Sheetz told us the people were on a public sidewalk.  The signs sounded similar but there were also signs relating our president to a horrific historical figure.  It was bad.  :(  FWIW, they were only there one day, thankfully.

So, yes, from what you wrote it does sound like they are on campus property, but ... maybe not?  Maybe they are protesting BJU?  I wouldn't think there's much to protest there, but you never know.

No - he's with BJU on some level; I see him in and out of the main campus buildings... we have to stop in the afternoons, on the road that runs in between their university campus, and their elementary school campus, for school traffic, so we - unfortunately - had plenty of time to look at the sign and surrounding buildings. Also, there's a main traffic light on a major road on the other side of their university campus (the front entrance).

I went back past the truck a bit ago and the main sign I wonder about said, more specifically, "God Da*n America In Jesus Name, Amen".

• Like 1

a public university property rights are more open than a PRIVATE university property rights.  protestors can be on public property - but NOT private property without the property owners permission.  (or they can have the cops throw them off.)

This is true. Just saying that it is definitely not unique to BJU and may be more of a laissez faire attitude than official condonement. I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 1

Having lived a stone's throw from there for number of years, my guess is that his "message" is not directly endorsed by the university or they would have thier branding all over it.

But just because that doesn't fit the image BJU wants to project doesn't mean that some or most of the administration/trustees don't agree with the sentiment. And that would be my guess as to why employee X gets to use BJU property.

• Like 2

This is true. Just saying that it is definitely not unique to BJU and may be more of a laissez faire attitude than official condonement. I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

My experience is that they are VERY controlling of what goes on on their property.

At least one person with clout agrees with sign man or he wouldn't be allowed to stand on campus property with his signs.

• Like 2

My experience is that they are VERY controlling of what goes on on their property.

At least one person with clout agrees with sign man or he wouldn't be allowed to stand on campus property with his signs.

They are there every year... at least for the past few, when I've noticed. The sign appears to have hundreds of signatures (?) on it in brightly colored ink... it's right there where the children walk from the elementary campus to the other side of the road :(

I always rolled my eyes at the signs, but the "God Da*n America in Jesus' Name" one is new this year... and it's more cringeworthy to me.

ETA: they are ON campus when handing out literature (the young boy sitting on a chair; the man standing) - they handing it out to those at the traffic light in front of the campus, and those walking by. Sometimes the man is holding a sign instead of handing things out.

I'm a traditional, conservative, reformed, and quite publically evangelical Christian. Those signs bother me immensely. I'd probably walk up to them and tell them as much, because I think it's entirely the wrong way to go about telling people the gospel and showing genuine concern for their souls. It's rude, confrontational, and misses the point almost entirely.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a former President, Bob Jones III, apologizing for Anti-g*y remarks he made years ago:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/bob-jones-president-apologizes-1980-anti-gay-remarks-29842703

I just seems that something like that would bring the Westboro types out of the woodwork.

I would think so, but this guy does seem to be with BJU on some level, or at least that BJU is okay (on some level) with them being there... the signs have always been disturbing, although the "God Da*n America" one is new this year, I think. 

I haven't clicked on the link yet (putting a minion to bed), but wasn't that apology made recently? This guy has been there, with his truck and signs, for years... and on some level BJU is okay with him being there, since I see him out and about around the campus. The truck is there with some consistency throughout the year - but for some reason the SIGNS don't come out until this time of year (same time of year as their Living Gallery signs come out for the Easter season, actually).

I'm a traditional, conservative, reformed, and quite publically evangelical Christian. Those signs bother me immensely. I'd probably walk up to them and tell them as much, because I think it's entirely the wrong way to go about telling people the gospel and showing genuine concern for their souls. It's rude, confrontational, and misses the point almost entirely.

The first time DD13 saw them out again this year, she yelled "are you kidding me?! They're back again, Mom!".

• Like 2

I would think so, but this guy does seem to be with BJU on some level, or at least that BJU is okay (on some level) with them being there... the signs have always been disturbing, although the "God Da*n America" one is new this year, I think.

I haven't clicked on the link yet (putting a minion to bed), but wasn't that apology made recently? This guy has been there, with his truck and signs, for years... and on some level BJU is okay with him being there, since I see him out and about around the campus. The truck is there with some consistency throughout the year - but for some reason the SIGNS don't come out until this time of year (same time of year as their Living Gallery signs come out for the Easter season, actually).

I would guess the timing has to do with more visitors on campus.

I guess I was thinking you said that this year the signs are even more offensive than in years past.  Yes, he did just apologize within the last week or so. 

I would definitely call the campus... inquiring minds want to know why they're okay with that??!! 

I'll call tomorrow, because I'm even more curious now. The signs just seem like something I would only imagine a place like Westboro is okay with! 

Which department do I call? There are so many numbers associated with the university.

Aimee, could you get a picture of the sign?

No good reason, I'm just nebby.

I don't see why I couldn't - I drive past it every day, lol. I'll try to snap one tomorrow. If I go out in the morning, the traffic isn't bad in that area (in the afternoon it would be impossible, because the entire road is stop/go because of the several campuses letting out, traffic, etc).

• Like 3

No, the University has nothing to do with odd fellows who show up with banners and trucks and literature to hand out, lol.  BJU doesn't even let students put up posters on campus without approval.  They sure aren't endorsing strange men with vulgar and unpatriotic signs, mercy.  BJU faculty, staff, and students are very engaged in the political process and very patriotic.  

As far as why it's happening and the proximity, I'm assuming it has to do with what areas are public property.  These types of characters exist.  We have some in our town, and they wear signs as they jog up and down the streets of the city.  I admire their enthusiasm and fitness, even if they are quite nutty.  And yeah, one of them has a colorful van like that with placards all over.  For a long time he got lots of attention, because he owned a house at a busy intersection.  Then they rerouted the roads, so we hardly even see his rainbow van anymore.  :D

No, the University has nothing to do with odd fellows who show up with banners and trucks and literature to hand out, lol.  BJU doesn't even let students put up posters on campus without approval.  They sure aren't endorsing strange men with vulgar and unpatriotic signs, mercy.  BJU faculty, staff, and students are very engaged in the political process and very patriotic.  

As far as why it's happening and the proximity, I'm assuming it has to do with what areas are public property.  These types of characters exist.  We have some in our town, and they wear signs as they jog up and down the streets of the city.  I admire their enthusiasm and fitness, even if they are quite nutty.  And yeah, one of them has a colorful van like that with placards all over.  For a long time he got lots of attention, because he owned a house at a busy intersection.  Then they rerouted the roads, so we hardly even see his rainbow van anymore.   :D

This. I live very close to BJU also. I have run across quite a few of this type in our downtown near the Westin Poinsett.

Can anybody help me figure out how to upload the pictures I took? I took them on my cell, sent them to my e-mail, and saved them to my computer, but the forums here only seem to allow a URL upload for pics?

We live literally down the street from BJU, their presses, and their elementary/high schools. I turn down the road daily to hit Starbucks.

For the past week (same time of year as I saw the same, in previous years) there has been a pick up truck with a huge sign that says "God Da*n America" and "Repent or DIE" (or maybe it was "Repent or PERISH"), and "What Do You Need to do to Not Go to HELL?!"... with the older gentleman, and his young son/grandson, outside of BJU, but on their campuses, handing out pamphlets of some sort. 

Although I've lived in the area for some time, this is the ONLY area that I ever see these types of signs (scare-inducing?) - right in front of BJU, and using BJU's campus, so I'm assuming they approve. 

ANYONE can protest on public land.  So you cannot assume that BJU approves simply because you have seen those guys there.  The opposite could be true: they could be there because they disapprove of some doctrines of BJU. 

Yeah, WBC members are a special breed.  They hit the local JCC here so I counter-protested.  ;)

• Like 1

Guest rpage

The protester is on public property and parks his vehicle on public property. This particular protester protests each year during our annual Bible Conference. His position is that Bob Jones University is not conservative enough. Randy Page, Director of Public Relations, Bob Jones University

OP: Post #34 is from BJU. You may want to update your original post to let everyone know that they do not endorse this guy.

• Like 1

The protester is on public property and parks his vehicle on public property. This particular protester protests each year during our annual Bible Conference. His position is that Bob Jones University is not conservative enough. Randy Page, Director of Public Relations, Bob Jones University

Thank you, Mr. Page! When he's handing out literature, he appears to be on your lawn (or the child with him is sitting on your lawn, on a chair) - that may be something you want to watch. 

Considering the profanity on the signs, is there nothing you can do on a legal level? The children see the signs when they exit the elementary school.

• Like 1

OP: Post #34 is from BJU. You may want to update your original post to let everyone know that they do not endorse this guy.

I'm doing that now. For some reason for the past few weeks, I do NOT get quote notifications - only "like" notifications.

• Like 1

Thank you, Mr. Page! When he's handing out literature, he appears to be on your lawn (or the child with him is sitting on your lawn, on a chair) - that may be something you want to watch.

Considering the profanity on the signs, is there nothing you can do on a legal level? The children see the signs when they exit the elementary school.

I'm surprised they can do it so close to the elementary school. Did you say upthread they were handing out stuff? To the kids as well? Our police made a man leave who was handing out Bibles to middle school students on their walk home. He was on a sidewalk but many parents, including myself, called in about it and police said it wasn't allowed.

I'm surprised they can do it so close to the elementary school. Did you say upthread they were handing out stuff? To the kids as well? Our police made a man leave who was handing out Bibles to middle school students on their walk home. He was on a sidewalk but many parents, including myself, called in about it and police said it wasn't allowed.

No - the man handing out literature is standing by the front entrance to the school; the boy with him sitting on a chair, on what I believe is the BJU lawn... they are handing out some type of literature (looks like pamphlets?) and the man has a sign ON his person, to the people driving (there's a light there) and walking.

The truck is parked on the other side of the BJU property, on the road that goes between the University campus and the elementary school - the signs on that truck have profanity on them sometimes (they did the other day).

Kind of funny that BJU, as bastion of racism, homophobia, and anti-Catholic bigotry over many decades, is being outflanked on the looney scale this time.

But BJU is hardly a pillar of virtue. It took until last week for Bob Jones III (under pressure) to retract his assertion that gays should be stoned to death. That turn-around took 35 years.

It ain't like the guys inside aren't part of the problem, as much as the nutter outside. 

Bill

• Like 16

Kind of funny that BJU, as bastion of racism, homophobia, and anti-Catholic bigotry over many decades, is being outflanked on the looney scale this time.

But BJU is hardly a pillar of virtue. It took until last week for Bob Jones III (under pressure) to retract his assertion that gays should be stoned to death. That turn-around took 35 years.

It ain't like the guys inside aren't part of the problem, as much as the nutter outside. 

Bill

Be that as it may (and I don't disagree with you - as a Catholic in "BJU Land"), they aren't posting profane signs directly across from an elementary school. It appears that the person with this truck, this literature, and these signs, WANTS the children to witness the profane signs... and at the moment, that is my concern.

I'm going to call the Greenville PD and ask about it. While this protestor may be within his rights to park his truck and hang his signs on public property, I can't believe it is within his rights to post profane things on a street that goes between a childcare center (BJU's) and an elementary school (BJU's), specifically and directly in line of vision for the children playing on the school playgrounds and walking to and from classes. Not to mention the public who drives down the road and has to see the signs.

• Like 3

Be that as it may (and I don't disagree with you - as a Catholic in "BJU Land"), they aren't posting profane signs directly across from an elementary school. It appears that the person with this truck, this literature, and these signs, WANTS the children to witness the profane signs... and at the moment, that is my concern.

I'm going to call the Greenville PD and ask about it. While this protestor may be within his rights to park his truck and hang his signs on public property, I can't believe it is within his rights to post profane things on a street that goes between a childcare center (BJU's) and an elementary school (BJU's), specifically and directly in line of vision for the children playing on the school playgrounds and walking to and from classes. Not to mention the public who drives down the road and has to see the signs.

I'm with you. I'd be equally irked. If they are holding signs with profanities in front of children I'd call the police AND the local politicians who oversee the police department (and its budgets).

Good luck.

Bill

• Like 4

I'm with you. I'd be equally irked. If they are holding signs with profanities in front of children I'd call the police AND the local politicians who oversee the police department (and its budgets).

Good luck.

Bill

The signs they're holding (holding is the wrong word - it's a sign worn ON the person who is handing out literature or pamphlets) aren't profane - it's the ones on the truck often are (and if they aren't profane, appear threatening).

I just called the PD and they are absolutely taking it seriously. I'm surprised nobody had called before, because as soon as I described the signs, and where it was, and that it was across from an elementary school, they dispatched a vehicle to see about having the truck removed.

• Like 12

The signs they're holding (holding is the wrong word - it's a sign worn ON the person who is handing out literature or pamphlets) aren't profane - it's the ones on the truck often are (and if they aren't profane, appear threatening).

I just called the PD and they are absolutely taking it seriously. I'm surprised nobody had called before, because as soon as I described the signs, and where it was, and that it was across from an elementary school, they dispatched a vehicle to see about having the truck removed.

Good for you!

Bill

Bill

Yeah, I was just thinking that I would hate to have to shove a piece of paper between the positions taken by BJU and Westboro. It would be a really tight fit.

• Like 5

Yeah, I was just thinking that I would hate to have to shove a piece of paper between the positions taken by BJU and Westboro. It would be a really tight fit.

That's totally absurd, and since there are graduates of BJU on this board (including me!), it would be nice to be a little more polite or at least accurate.

• Like 4

That's totally absurd, and since there are graduates of BJU on this board (including me!), it would be nice to be a little more polite or at least accurate.

I never would have attended BJU because when I was in college they still banned interracial dating.

Since I am interracial I find that offensive.

• Like 8

What kinds of notes? I mean, the bible itself arguably holds some pretty threatening ideas. Eternal flames for not believing? Ouch. 

I guess my question is, are these notes and signs extrabiblical, or just worded really offensively? 

• Like 1