Menu

WARNING: Don't hand your phone to a stranger

Slache

If you hand your phone to a stranger they can put an invisible app on it that can track you, record you, or track your information. They are very good at it and can do it quickly. If you think this might have been done to you then take your phone into a store and have professionals look at it. I learned about this when a dear friend's 13 year old daughter was put in danger by a convicted pedophile. He broke into her house with information he got from her phone at a time that he knew she would be the only one home. This puts all of your loved ones as well as your finances at risk.

For the record she was OK. Daddy prepared her very well for just such an occasion.

• Like 5

How did the girl end up giving her phone to a convicted pedophile?  That seems unusual.  I'm glad she's OK.

It's wise to be aware of current scams, and to teach your kids the basics of things to be wary of, but it's also important to remember that your chances of running into these kinds of things are very, very slim.  In my experience, most people are good and honest folks.  

• Like 1

Like this?

http://smfc.pt/help/sms-tracker/hidden-phone-spy.html

What happened to the pedophile?  Did he get arrested?

I have no idea. I do know that if you look at your apps you can't see it.

He was arrested and went to jail, but wasn't convicted. He was on parole, so I don't understand how he got out of it. I do know that he came in through the garage without breaking anything. I also know that the mother called all of the local schools. He apparently hangs out at fast food restaurants near schools and will buy middle school girls a snack in exchange for using their phone. They had become friends and [the girl] is extremely outgoing and pretty.

How did the girl end up giving her phone to a convicted pedophile?  That seems unusual.  I'm glad she's OK.

It's wise to be aware of current scams, and to teach your kids the basics of things to be wary of, but it's also important to remember that your chances of running into these kinds of things are very, very slim.  In my experience, most people are good and honest folks.  

She had no idea. She just thought he was a nice guy. He even has a son.

Thank you for the PSA, OP.  I consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool neurotic mom and this was news to me.  Also, I could see DD letting someone use her phone who claimed an emergency or whatever.  Just a couple of weeks ago, she was with me at the grocery store when I let a woman use my phone to call a family member. Her phone wasn't working and she was late-didn't want them to worry. I could see that influencing DD. :crying:   She meets her Latin tutor at a coffee shop and is occasionally alone for little while. Hmm, guess what we'll be chatting about tonight...

• Like 1

Thank you for the PSA, OP.  I consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool neurotic mom and this was news to me.  Also, I could see DD letting someone use her phone who claimed an emergency or whatever.  Just a couple of weeks ago, she was with me at the grocery store when I let a woman use my phone to call a family member. Her phone wasn't working and she was late-didn't want them to worry. I could see that influencing DD. :crying:   She meets her Latin tutor at a coffee shop and is occasionally alone for little while. Hmm, guess what we'll be chatting about tonight...

Sorry. I know. Who wouldn't hand their phone over. It's the right thing to do.

I'm glad everything turned out ok for your friend. What a horrible thing to have happen. But I think it's important to note that the guy was not a stranger to her. Strangers are not necessarily the biggest dangers.

I wonder that there is not an app to prevent this sort of thing? I don't have a smartphone, nor do my kids, so I am not educated on that sort of thing.

• Like 1

In some states, like in Virginia, they have different levels of sex offenders.  Some are put on a registry and can't come within so and so many feet of a school and some have zero restrictions put on them.  I can't find the code right now.  I knew it a few years ago when a friend's dh was paroled and he could attend school functions and such.  Here is an article about a similar case:  http://www.richmond.com/news/local/crime/article_936ee3b4-2884-11e4-8dd4-001a4bcf6878.html

I'm glad everything turned out ok for your friend. What a horrible thing to have happen. But I think it's important to note that the guy was not a stranger to her. Strangers are not necessarily the biggest dangers.

I wonder that there is not an app to prevent this sort of thing? I don't have a smartphone, nor do my kids, so I am not educated on that sort of thing.

But he was a stranger. He tracked her so that he could keep running into her, get to know her family, and borrow the mom's phone.

I have to put in my pw to get apps. Is that not the norm?

But wouldn't you type the password in if someone was going to use the phone?

Yikes.  Glad she's okay.  Thanks for the heads up.  I had no idea!

I'm curious about how she handled having the house broken into while she was home alone.  You said her dad prepared her well.  What did she do?  How did she protect herself?  Looking for tips.  I had not thought to prepare the kiddos for something like this, honestly.

Yikes.  Glad she's okay.  Thanks for the heads up.  I had no idea!

I'm curious about how she handled having the house broken into while she was home alone.  You said her dad prepared her well.  What did she do?  How did she protect herself?  Looking for tips.  I had not thought to prepare the kiddos for something like this, honestly.

I don't know exactly what happened because nobody wanted to talk about it (can't blame them). Her father said that he enrolls all of the kids in a self defense class each summer, keeps a fresh pepper spray in every major room and bedrooms, and that she ran out the front door screaming her head off because the neighbors have a deal that if they leave the kids that they tell each other and they keep an ear out. I know the father came running outside when he heard her and that he was the one to call the police.

I know that she used the pepper spray. We have become a very pro pepper spray family with what details we have on this event. I know they have a gun, but they have pepper spray in the kitchen, living room, garage, basement, bedrooms, bathrooms... Most people don't have that many guns.

Eta: That sounded bad. They don't leave *little* children and just let the neighbors know, but when they leave their big kids they do keep an eye out for each other.

• Like 2

But he was a stranger. He tracked her so that he could keep running into her, get to know her family, and borrow the mom's phone.

My phone requires a different password than my lock screen code for each and every app downloaded or any purchase. I configured it that way because I didn't want my kids buying stuff by accident.
  • Like 2

Thanks.  Pepper spray.  That makes sense.  

When I was in college, my house was broken into while I was home alone, and I didn't have pepper spray - but I locked myself in the bedroom with oven cleaner while I called 911.  I know - oven cleaner. It's weird.  But it was all I could think of quickly.  (And, yes, the police were there within 4 minutes because there had been other reports in our neighborhood, so I was fine ... and the guy ran out into the back alley, after breaking down my back door and getting into the house.  Scary!) 

If they figure out your iCloud password, they don't even need to handle your phone!!

That's why your iCloud password needs to be a strong and unique (ie: don't use the same pw for another account) and it needs to be changed periodically. We also don't share our icloud passwords with the kids.

• Like 2

In reference to the bolded: I have two passwords. One to "open" the phone for use and one to download apps. They are different.

I don't know exactly what happened because nobody wanted to talk about it (can't blame them). Her father said that he enrolls all of the kids in a self defense class each summer, keeps a fresh pepper spray in every major room and bedrooms, and that she ran out the front door screaming her head off because the neighbors have a deal that if they leave the kids that they tell each other and they keep an ear out. I know the father came running outside when he heard her and that he was the one to call the police.

I know that she used the pepper spray. We have become a very pro pepper spray family with what details we have on this event. I know they have a gun, but they have pepper spray in the kitchen, living room, garage, basement, bedrooms, bathrooms... Most people don't have that many guns.

Eta: That sounded bad. They don't leave *little* children and just let the neighbors know, but when they leave their big kids they do keep an eye out for each other.

I'm glad everything worked out okay.    They sound a little paranoid though, unless they have a reason to expect trouble?

• Like 1

I'm glad everything worked out okay.    They sound a little paranoid though, unless they have a reason to expect trouble?

They are a little odd now that you mention it. I guess that's why they get along with us so well. :smilielol5:

• Like 1

Got it. I had the timeline wrong, thought that they were friends before the phone use.

I was talking about this with my husband. He has more than one password for his phone, and somene making a call would need another password to do anything else.

• Like 1

My husband, a cop, often lets people use his phone. He sets it to speaker and dials the number for them. That's one way to let people make a quick emergency call without getting your phone stolen or hacked. (Or used for drug deals, which happened to some friends of mine)

• Like 5

Just fyi- good things can happen if you don't put a password on your phone. I left my phone in the back of a cab in NYC. I was so mad and trying to figure out what to do. The doorman gave me his phone to call it, and the next person who got in the cab found and called that number back. The cab driver brought it back to me.

• Like 1

Just fyi- good things can happen if you don't put a password on your phone. I left my phone in the back of a cab in NYC. I was so mad and trying to figure out what to do. The doorman gave me his phone to call it, and the next person who got in the cab found and called that number back. The cab driver brought it back to me.

Can't incoming calls be answered without putting in the lock code?

Also, my phone has access to my email, banking information and a bunch of other sensitive shizznit. I am not leaving that unprotected on the off chance it might be easier to recover a lost phone. I've wiped a lost phone before because I am super cautious. When I got it back I restored from the backup.