Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I saw plenty of idiots yesterday who went past the sturdy barriers to go right up to the edge in search of the perfect selfie. It would be very hard for sensible people who stay safely behind the barriers to fall- if not impossible. 

I remember seeing people doing that. And I’m thinking, “What are you thinking?? The Grand Canyon is unforgiving. You’re not going to just fall and sprain your ankle. YOU’RE GONNA DIE!! DOESN’T THAT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?”

• Like 4

On 8/3/2018 at 9:39 AM, Slache said:

Got a text from SIL "Just so you know whenever we have kids, the names we want so you dont do them are... " What am I supposed to do with that? She picked one of my favorite names.

A couple of my kids share names with cousins, they think it is fun.

Dh has a cousin with the same first and last names; never bothered him.

Nobody gets dibs on names.

Edited by maize
  • Like 7

On 8/3/2018 at 10:39 AM, Slache said:

Got a text from SIL "Just so you know whenever we have kids, the names we want so you dont do them are... " What am I supposed to do with that? She picked one of my favorite names.

You ignore it and name your kid what you want to name them... or use those names for your dogs...but that might be petty. ?‍♀️

Seriously, though, you don't reserve names for "whenever". That's just straight up entitlement. 

(Are you expecting? If so, she REALLY doesn't get a say on what name you use!) 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We churched. The boss made me type up a new sermon last minute so missed all the worship.

2 hours ago, Junie said:

I have actually never been to a dedicated gluten free restaurant.  I think I live on the wrong coast.

Yep.

1 hour ago, maize said:

That's what I assumed would happen.

1 hour ago, Southern Ivy said:

(Are you expecting? If so, she REALLY doesn't get a say on what name you use!) 

Not expecting but want more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

Dh has a cousin with the same first and last names; never bothered him.

Nobody gets dibs on names.

My oldest DD and 3 Cousins (all on the same side of the family) all have names that are some variation of Anna.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

It was Newhart!  Although iy might have been used later, too.

"Hi.  I'm Larry.  This is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl."  

Cracks me up!

Back in the day I was doing volunteer work  and we had a family at our child development center where the father’s name was D (and it was a name that could be both male or female). His oldest set of twins was 2 girls and one of the girls had his name. The second set of twins had a boy and girl and the boy was named his name, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Southern Ivy said:

We used to watch that when I was younger. I think Nick at Nite or something "back in the day". Loved it. 

Wasn’t that a spin off of another show?? I’m trying to think.....Mary Tyler Moore?? I gotta look it up.

hmm, doesn’t look like it.

Edited by KrissiK
Making sure information is correct.

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

What was that show, where the guy said, "This is my brother, Darryl, and my other brother, Darryl." About the two guys standing next to him.

I knew a pair of step sisters In high school, same age and grade and both named Emily.

8 hours ago, Slache said:

WHERE WERE YOU TWO DAYS AGO?

Working. You know. Because we don't have anyone in Texas so we have to figure out a way to stay here. We could be more frugal but you know how that goes...

However, today I went to Goodwill and got a bunch of new work clothes. Woot woot! I think I saved at least $400 compared to new. I love when that happens.

• Like 6

Hi ladies, I had a really bad night last night, I woke at about midnight and then again at 3 and didn't get back  to sleep until about 7.  We were late for church and blessedly when I came home my older two took me out to eat, I came home and have been asleep on the couch ever since.  I'm going for my walk now and will possibly go back to sleep when I'm done, after my shower of course, I will rest better tonight, I hope, in order to post more tomorrow.

• Like 4

Good Monday Morning!

Thinking of you today, Jean!

(((M25A)))  Hope you slept better last night.

Ack!  I need to update the weekly dry erase board calendar.  Also, a few school subjects are starting this week.  :willy-nilly:  And ds and dd need to choose their elective classes today (for local "co-op").  :willy-nilly:

Also, 12yo ds is no more.  He turned 13 yesterday.  ?

• Like 7

Good morning!

We are adding a couple more subjects today - in additioin to math.  Dd20 is driving herself to the university for a job interview.  I don't know if she's ever driven more than 20 minutes at a time. ? We have some major clean-up to do today, and I need to divide the pulled pork into freezer bags.  Community book club tonight - Jurassic Park.  I've almost finished reading it.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

My printer still will not print black, but we found a way to force it to mix the colors to make black.

My sunburn is beginning to peel.  Most people at church didn't say anything about it, but my favorite comment was "You got some sun."  That's one way to put it.  :)

Hoping to get some schoolwork done this week.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I ordered curriculum today!  Still have more to order, but I got a big chunk of sonlight eastern hemisphere core (used), Saxon math (used), a younger-ish level graphing calculator with a workbook, to help dc learn to use the calculator, another Korean dictionary, and I think that's all.  I'll try to order more tomorrow.  And I need to look through my closet for new markable maps, which I think we might have.

Should I tell you that we have already started our curriculum?

We actually started July 5, per the kid's request. lol I mean, it felt weird to say "NO! YOU MAY NOT DO SCHOOL!" haha So, we started way earlier than intended. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Monday!! Bleh!! (Sorry, Ellie!!!)

Nothing much going on today. I really need to get this house cleaned up. This is our last week before school starts. I need to maybe look into getting an IEP for oldest DS. Or something. 

Happy Belated Nirthday, Lynn’s DS.

Yay for curriculum, Angi!!

Yay for starting early, Mary!!

Yay for shedding, Junie!!?

How did the funeral go, Susan??  Last spring DS made a metal tombstone in shop class and we have a running list of the cats we have buried in the back yard.

• Like 5

Good morning, I feel human again!

Happy Nirthday to Lynn's Ds!

Angi-if you can, post a link to the extras you have, we are doing Geography this year.

Mary- can we trade kids?  Lol

Nithing much here today, I'll be placing a few orders for Curriculum and we need to start working on the house, we will start on the 20th, I think.  I'm going to do clothes shopping at the end of the week because it's tax free weekend, I'll probably get the few school supplies we need then too.

• Like 4

Glad you're feeling better, Des!

Krissi, the funeral was short and sweet.  Said a couple nice words about Rascal and ds13 whistled Amazing Grace a bit until dd9 gave him the LGOCID (laser glare of certain impending death) lol.  What a nice project for your ds to make!

I've finally updated my siggy.  Here's the madrigal we are learning this week at story time.

It's a Madrigal Booyah!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Mary- can we trade kids?  Lol

I don't know...Everyone, can she handle my kid? lol 

Trust me, there are plenty of days we don't want to do school. ha But, we really only do it 3x a week due to traveling for therapy and such. (Those technically count as school hours, so I don't worry too much, though.) 

She's a little spitfire, though, and crazy hyperactive. You might give her back after 30 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. All our careful plans for ds got upended yesterday. So this morning we help him find a storage unit for his stuff and leave him a strange city with no permanent place to live (yet). We have to leave today to start the trek back home. 

Oh no!

I hope things get resolved quickly and in the best manner for him. The apartment didn't work out?

I'm stress-eating grapes.  

You know, on Friday I explained to the whole family that they would be required to take care of everything in the house over the weekend while I cook.  They all agreed that it would be done.  And now I'm realizing just how much nothing of anything got done.  Not a good day for even a soft start of school.  Unfortunately, dd20 will be gone most of the day and a good deal of the mess is hers.  Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

30 minutes ago, maize said:

Oh no!

I hope things get resolved quickly and in the best manner for him. The apartment didn't work out?

It was a house (bachelor pad style) with five rooms. But the room available was NOT at all like what was shown in pictures. It was a small cinder block add on that was too tiny to even adequately fit a desk for ds. Initially we were trying to figure our how to make it work anyway but ds decided to keep looking. He has three other optiobs that he has found. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It was a house (bachelor pad style) with five rooms. But the room available was NOT at all like what was shown in pictures. It was a small cinder block add on that was too tiny to even adequately fit a desk for ds. Initially we were trying to figure our how to make it work anyway but ds decided to keep looking. He has three other optiobs that he has found. 

Ugh! I'm sorry. I believe in him. Scary but he can do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! I read and worked out, schooled and walked the kids, now I'm having salad and a larabar before I settle into a nice coma.

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

It's Monday! Oh, how I love Monday!!!!

Me too! It's my most productive day.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I guess it's better than stress drinking grapes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just editing again today. But I did clean a room in the house and I will cook something for dinner so we won't starve or have to live on chips and soda. My writing life needs more good food and downtime. Alas, nothing until I finish this last pass. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

You know, on Friday I explained to the whole family that they would be required to take care of everything in the house over the weekend while I cook.  They all agreed that it would be done.  And now I'm realizing just how much nothing of anything got done.  Not a good day for even a soft start of school.  Unfortunately, dd20 will be gone most of the day and a good deal of the mess is hers.  Ugh. 

I gave you a sad face, but I'm a little relieved that I'm not the only one battling chaos.  Except I didn't even explain or summup anything or receive agreement from anyone about what they would do.  We just have plain old chaos.  Laundry.  Dishes.  Stuff.  Laundry.  My former laundry system has been derailed by going to the pool for many days on end and has turned into "here wash this quick" and "here fold this quick and leave it in the living room" on the fly.  Folded laundry is everywhere.  Dirty laundry is everywhere.  :willy-nilly:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So glad he has some options.  Praying for him!  And you guys on the return trip!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

I just taught dd10 how to make baked potatoes.  I told her we were wrapping presents.  ?

I learned to wrap them and then poke them with a fork (always used the meat fork).  But after I was married, dh pointed out that this method left some aluminum foil in the potato.  Do you have this problem?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone have recommendations for dealing with a child (ahem, actually a teen) who struggles with wearing retainer consistently.  Also struggles with honesty and integrity with this issue.  I really don't want to turn it into a trust issue.  But do I really need to watch a teenager brush teeth and put a retainer in every night?  (Ironically, I have another teen who continues wearing retainers 24/7 because it feels better with them in.  ?  Go figure!) 

Wait, was I supposed to say "Asking for a friend?"

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I learned to wrap them and then poke them with a fork (always used the meat fork).  But after I was married, dh pointed out that this method left some aluminum foil in the potato.  Do you have this problem?  

I was taught to poke them with a fork, too, but since I developed arthritis in my hands I generally stab them with a steak knife.  I don't think we've had this problem.

• Like 2