Menu

Ignore this thread!

I made it back from The Afsa. I hate that place with a passion. Stupid pharmacy was closing just as I got in line.?????? I hate The Afsa. But my mom was at my house when I got back. That was nice. She was dropping off a watermelon. She gets huge ones and she and my dad can’t eat them all so she gives us half. ?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

<Toe-tappy guy>  Ahem, some people are not taking this thread seriously!

I was in a workshop at church all day, and I'm going to ignore you the same way next Saturday. If I'm behaving myself, I will ignore a lot around here the next several days. I haven't prepared for a committee meeting I'm running Tuesday night. ?

I also am not into movies at all.

My favorite (made-up) holiday starts Monday! :wub:  (It's Giving Week. We start on the first Monday in August and do something generous every day of the week. This will be our 10th year. Thanksgiving is my second favorite.)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

I was in a workshop at church all day, and I'm going to ignore you the same way next Saturday. If I'm behaving myself, I will ignore a lot around here the next several days. I haven't prepared for a committee meeting I'm running Tuesday night. ?

I also am not into movies at all.

My favorite (made-up) holiday starts Monday! :wub:  (It's Giving Week. We start on the first Monday in August and do something generous every day of the week. This will be our 10th year. Thanksgiving is my second favorite.)

I love Thanksgiving. It’s my favorite, too. Independence Day is my second favorite.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 4:08 PM, whitehawk said:

I just had to pay almost as much for cleats that fit will DS as it costs for him to play the whole season of soccer at the Y. Hello, men's wide sizes. Where is svengo when we need him??

The cleats arrived today and they do not, in fact, fit him. They are the same brand and marked the same size as the shoes he wears every day, but for some reason, they're too narrow. I'm going to have to call to find out if the next size up is any wider or just longer.

*sigh* I assume we'll have the same problem with track, the other sport he's interested in.

Does anybody with a wide-footed kid have advice? I have trouble getting shoes that fit for myself, but I've never needed special shoes for a sport.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Day 4 observations:

it was a really long day. 

There were zero places with gluten free breakfast choices where we started out so we went to the grocery store and prepared some things in the air bnb. 

Navajo land is pretty but rugged. 

We then went to the Grand Canyon. We saw the canyon. And a tower. And a native museum and ruins. And a geology museum. And more of the canyon. 

As we were leaving the national park we spent two hours helping out a stranded British motorist and her daughter. 

We didnt get into Phoenix until after ten pm. 

I got 9776 steps today and will get a few more unless I learn to levitate. 

Ds is picking dh up from the airport here. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Slache said:

Hood.

My son would be going nuts and wanting to get as close as he could get for pictures. He's a volcano fiend right now. I'm not sure what he'll eventually want to do for a living, but right now volcanologist is high on his list.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Southern Ivy said:

I had to look it up to remember which movie that was, but now I remember that I liked that movie. I thought the twist was good.

Also, hi everyone! 

I figured you'd post today. I was drifting off to sleep last night and thought, "I wonder how Mary's dad is doing. Bet she posts in the morning." 

• Like 6

I am going rivering today. Hopefully we can swim. There's a little risk with some algal blooms right now, but we should be higher up than the affected areas. I think. Right now I need to get some chores done and finish edits on Chapter 11, then print out chapter 12 to work on at the river. A friend is sending me a chapter rewrite to look at, and I have a book on enhancing character emotions on the Kindle to read. Plus I signed up to help with some critiques for other writers going into a contest this fall. Glutton for work, I guess! But it's fun work, so I don't mind.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I figured you'd post today. I was drifting off to sleep last night and thought, "I wonder how Mary's dad is doing. Bet she posts in the morning." 

Check you out!!! lol You psychically drew me to the ITT! 

Dad is doing AMAZING. 
I am running late for church, so logically I'm posting online. *eye roll* 

I'll do a full update this afternoon after church and some errands. ?

• Like 5

Good morning!

❤️ Hi Mary!! ❤️  So glad your dad is doing well!  How's your sweet sassy pants?

Jean to the rescue!  Glad you made it to Phoenix OK.

I liked Shutter Island.  I suspected there would be a twist, but really resisted it until the very end.  

I went to the Grand Canyon when I was a kid, but don't really remember it.  Dh and ds23 hiked through the backcountry a few years back and says it was amazing.  The snakes are real.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Hello, I have a quiet moment so decided to do my monthly (or so) stop into this thread.  It moves so fast I get left behind really quickly, but I like it enough to check in and read the last few pages every so often. ?

We've been super-busy since we moved into our new science classroom space on the 1st.  Dh took off work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to do all the heavy-lifting, building, etc. so we've been scrambling to get things done.  I have until the 22nd to finish organizing and arranging before my Open Houses/Grand Opening. 

Let's see......

No Instant Pot.  Dh does all the cooking in our house and he hasn't been interested in trying one.   We have a small kitchen and he doesn't feel the need for a lot of gadgets.  If we ever want to try anything, my mother has pretty much everything under the sun.

We do Hulu, Netflix AND Prime.  We've had Prime for shipping for years under dd's student account but just recently explored the video offerings.  Dh likes to watch the random feel-good Hallmark movies.  He'll start watching the Christmas ones in about a month or two.  We watch a lot of old shows on Netflix, new shows on Hulu, and movies or old shows on Prime.  We no longer have cable but have an antenna for the networks.

We have automatic payments for almost all the bills.  I used to do them and they were about 1/2 and 1/2.  Dh recently took over and set up the rest of them except a few (credit cards that we pay different amounts but not necessarily the balance).  He checks our bank account almost every day so would catch any problems quickly.

Never been to the Grand Canyon but would love to go on a trip to all the parks out West.

Kids eat the same things every day for lunch - ds is required to have peanut butter Monday/Wednesday/Friday to give him some variety, otherwise he would be eating all the same things he eats for dinner (SPD, Aspie).  Dd eats a variety of stuff.  Both kids make their own.

Now I need to go do dishes (we had no power, which means no water, for the last couple of days so there's a pile), pack up some more stuff from inside the house to bring to the classroom (dh already left), wait until 11:30 to see if a sink we ordered comes (was supposed to be delivered yesterday but it appears the delivery guy got confused when the road was blocked by utility trucks fixing the downed pole and wires, there is another way around to our house but it isn't obvious), pack up lunch for dh and I, run by Walmart if my order that was supposed to be ready last night is ready now, and head to the classroom for more putting stuff away.  8/9 years homeschooling, 6 years of 4-H clubs, a real book addiction and inability to get rid of things, and I have a LOT of stuff, most of which is going to the classroom since most of the kids school will be done there as well.

Okay, I think I"m up-to-date now.  See you in a couple weeks!  ??

• Like 8

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!

Church!!!  We are starting membership class this morning.

Mary stopped by!!! Yay!! Missed you, gal!!

we went to the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. It was beautiful, but it put my fear of heights into hyper-drive. Loved the elk.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

My son would be going nuts and wanting to get as close as he could get for pictures. He's a volcano fiend right now. I'm not sure what he'll eventually want to do for a living, but right now volcanologist is high on his list.

I’ve always wanted to be a scientist of some sort, preferabley meteorologist. But the math always killed me. I majored in Food Science and Nutrition in College, and loved it, but didn’t go that way career-wise because I didn’t feel comfortable with the math. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!

Church!!!  We are starting membership class this morning.

Mary stopped by!!! Yay!! Missed you, gal!!

we went to the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. It was beautiful, but it put my fear of heights into hyper-drive. Loved the elk.

I used to have nightmares about one of the kids falling into the Grand Canyon.  Never even been there, have no firm plans to go (but I want to), but it was a recurring nightmare.  So, I figured I would look up statistics on how many people fall into the Grand Canyon, thinking it would make me feel better because it probably doesn't happen very often.   

I was wrong. It happens surprisingly often.  It didn't help my anxiety about it, at all.  But, I did learn that there are some spots that are considered safer than others, so we'll just have to stick with those if we ever head out there.

• Like 4

Good morning. I haz gug.

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture. They say it looked like a mushroom cloud so people were scared at first.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I used to have nightmares about one of the kids falling into the Grand Canyon.  Never even been there, have no firm plans to go (but I want to), but it was a recurring nightmare.  So, I figured I would look up statistics on how many people fall into the Grand Canyon, thinking it would make me feel better because it probably doesn't happen very often.   

I was wrong. It happens surprisingly often.  It didn't help my anxiety about it, at all.  But, I did learn that there are some spots that are considered safer than others, so we'll just have to stick with those if we ever head out there.

I saw plenty of idiots yesterday who went past the sturdy barriers to go right up to the edge in search of the perfect selfie. It would be very hard for sensible people who stay safely behind the barriers to fall- if not impossible. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

?

After dh described a couple of the trails they had to travel on their back country trip, I decided that it was better to live in ignorance.  The photos are wonderful. They all made it back safely.  Keep breathing.  ?

• Like 5

Rascal the Rat is sick.  The girls are giving him water by dropper and feeding him slices of apple - the only thing they can get him to eat right now.  His back leg doesn't seem to be working well and he is breathing heavy.  Sometimes there is a little discharge around his nose.  He is the sweetest of the three rats - I hope he will recover, but I think it's not likely in small animals.

• Sad 4

On 8/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, Susan in TN said:

I'm torn over feeling guilty about giving my family cereal to eat for dinner.  But sorta I don't care.  This is where you pat me on the head and say, "There, there.  We've all been there."  :biggrin:

ETA: we have a bit of leftovers, but I'm saving that for dh and ds23 if they'd prefer them over cereal.

I once had a colleague who said her ahppiest childhood memories were when mom "let" them have ice cream sundaes for dinner. She realized decades later it was also a treat for mom.

• Like 4

On 8/3/2018 at 8:39 AM, Slache said:

Got a text from SIL "Just so you know whenever we have kids, the names we want so you dont do them are... " What am I supposed to do with that? She picked one of my favorite names.

Playing. She got up once last night which is abnormal but is otherwise run of the mill Mooies.

"We have our own list already, but haven't sent it out as we thought it would be inappropriate to reserve them. However I can tell you that unfortunately we aren't accepting amendments at this time."

On 8/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, Another Lynn said:

Choice a)  Get pregnant immediately and use the name.  

Choice b)  Reply "Sorry, you can't reserve names."

Choice c)  Completely ignore her.  

I like A but we also have "oh, don't worry, I can't stand any of those names anyway. Isn't "[insert fave name here] kind of basic?"

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I saw plenty of idiots yesterday who went past the sturdy barriers to go right up to the edge in search of the perfect selfie. It would be very hard for sensible people who stay safely behind the barriers to fall- if not impossible. 

Yes, there are a LOT of people who seem to think that all danger in nature causes an evacuation.  No evacuation = no danger. It is odd. They think they are not responsible for themselves. I think it has to do with press over stupid lawsuits... While real, it doesn't change the fact that jumping in sulfer is a bad idea.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

"We have our own list already, but haven't sent it out as we thought it would be inappropriate to reserve them. However I can tell you that unfortunately we aren't accepting amendments at this time."

I like A but we also have "oh, don't worry, I can't stand any of those names anyway. Isn't "[insert fave name here] kind of basic?"

WHERE WERE YOU TWO DAYS AGO?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. We are at. a dedicated gluten free restaurant in Phoenix. Chicken and waffles!  Mmmm...

It is hot. It is 103 at 10 am in Phoenix. Highs are supposed to be 111. 

Jean, if you had double posted this I could have given a "like" for the first part and a "sad" for the second part.

I have actually never been to a dedicated gluten free restaurant.  I think I live on the wrong coast.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

❤️ Hi Mary!! ❤️  So glad your dad is doing well!  How's your sweet sassy pants?

She is really good. Making a lot of progress in speech and OT and sassy as ever.
We'll be doing a co-op this year (art/drama/music/pe - all things she likes), so she's excited to actually see new people make some friends instead of just seeing mom. lol 

5 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

So, dad is doing really well. He is almost done with his physical therapy (he's gone from 28% strength to 98%!) Speech is really good as well. He still has some word retrieval problems, but for the most part, in talking to him, he's back to "normal".
There are still some memory issues. They live on the school/church property and he went looking for mom during a thunderstorm the other day. He was worried she got lost and he forgot she was working in her office. Mom usually leaves notes around the house reminding him of what she is doing, where she is, etc. But, I think she forgot that day. 
He's also very nervous with the grandkids - everything is a death trap to him. lol He is a lot more grumpy with them because he's always worried about them getting hurt. It also doesn't help that the noise from them overstimulates him. 

There are still things that pop up and we're like "Ahhh, there's the brain injury." But, a good 90% of the time, we have dad back. Which is a full-on miracle. People can't believe how well he is doing and that he didn't go to a therapy facility. Per the doctors, he's doing better than some that come back from there. It's honestly due to Mom, God, and Dad's stubbornness to get better. 

He will have one final surgery on Aug 31. The doctor will replace his bone flap that day. (It's been in the freezer at the hospital.) After the first surgery, there was so much swelling that his skin did not heal properly. So, after the bone flap is in place, a plastic surgeon will work on some skin grafts and will close up the site. All in all, it should take 4 hours. He should be in ICU just a day and then should be home in 2 days. Mom will continue to care for the drainage tube and stuff until it's time to remove that. 

So, fun story and listening to your gut (I fully believe it was the Holy Spirit guiding me)
Back in April, my friend got engaged and asked me to be in her wedding. I said no problem. I was excited for that. It's been a long time coming. 
However, I started looking at flights to DC...over Labor Day weekend. Everything was over $500!!! Perks of living in the Midwest, I guess. ? (At that same time, you could fly DC to LA for $200! lol) I kept putting off the flights because it honestly made me sick to think of paying that for a flight. Add in travel time, lost work time, buying a dress, getting my hair done, etc...it was going to be around $900! blah. 
I kept putting it off and putting it off and couldn't shake an uneasy feeling. I asked John to pray about it with me and that night I had a dream about telling my friend that I couldn't go. I talked to John some more and talked to some friends and we all agreed that I needed to back down. That for whatever reason, I needed to stay home and not be in the wedding. 
The friend called me that same day and asked if I was ok. I explained the situation and she said "That's wild. I had a dream about you last night and I woke up knowing that you wouldn't be in my wedding, but that it was all ok." 
So, we called it good and she found another bridesmaid. Meanwhile, we're both trying to figure out WHY I wasn't at peace to be in her wedding. 

Well, her wedding is Sept 1. I would have flown out to DC on Aug 30 to be there in time for the rehearsal on Aug 31...which would occur at the same time as Dad's surgery! 
I get chills just thinking about it now. Had I not listened to that urging, I would have lost a lot of money AND had to back out 3 weeks before the wedding! 

• Like 8