Menu

Ignore this thread!

The air quality is dangerous. The sky is white, it looks foggy. The air smells like smoke. And our governor says this is our new normal. I don’t know why we still live here.

I guess I should make dinner. I’m trying a new recipe. Something something pork chops. I found it in a magazine.

I’m binge-watching Gilmore Girls.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

The air quality is dangerous. The sky is white, it looks foggy. The air smells like smoke. And our governor says this is our new normal. I don’t know why we still live here.

I guess I should make dinner. I’m trying a new recipe. Something something pork chops. I found it in a magazine.

I’m binge-watching Gilmore Girls.

You could move to Texas with Slachie.

• Like 4

I am so tired. Cut five hundred words. Probably added that much in information, and still cut. This amazing feat of adding words without adding words is a doggone magic trick I have to keep pulling like a rabbit out of a very battered old hat. And the rabbit wants his carrot, and I'm out of carrots.

Why is the chocolate always gone?

• Like 4

My baked potato recipe is to throw the potatoes naked in the oven and bake them until they are done. Then I poke them with a fork in two directions (like a cross) and pop them open by pressing on either end with my tongs. Most of the time they don't explode the wrong way.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

What Slashie was trying to figure out from mama25angels.  The BBL.

Ahhhh, yes. That puzzled me, too. Glad we have Slashie around to figure those things out.

Yay!! It’s a Booya/h for me!!!!

Edited by KrissiK
Grabbing the Booya/h!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Junie said:

You could move to Texas with Slachie.

Or TN with me.  :wub:

25 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I am so tired. Cut five hundred words. Probably added that much in information, and still cut. This amazing feat of adding words without adding words is a doggone magic trick I have to keep pulling like a rabbit out of a very battered old hat. And the rabbit wants his carrot, and I'm out of carrots.

Why is the chocolate always gone?

I bought chocolates to put in the bowl for the first week of school and forgot all about them.  Bad, bad teacher!

13 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I don’t make baked potatoes.  I make mashed potatoes. And fried potatoes.  Tonight I made mashed potatoes with the pork chops. They were good. And we ate the first yellow squash out of the garden.

I make potatoes in the IP.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Did you know that Michael Crichton wrote a book at least partially based on Beowulf?  Eaters of the Dead.  Sounds delightful.

Yes, I did know that because I absolutely adore the movie they made from the book, The 13th Warrior, starring Antonio Banderas!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Anyone have recommendations for dealing with a child (ahem, actually a teen) who struggles with wearing retainer consistently.  Also struggles with honesty and integrity with this issue.  I really don't want to turn it into a trust issue.  But do I really need to watch a teenager brush teeth and put a retainer in every night?  (Ironically, I have another teen who continues wearing retainers 24/7 because it feels better with them in.  ?  Go figure!) 

Wait, was I supposed to say "Asking for a friend?"

Not yet but I hope to be there with you in a few months.

Side question: Does anyone have a teen who struggles with wearing rubber bands? I think this kid will never, ever, ever get out of braces because of this. It doesn't bode well for future retainer compliance.

I think our orthodontist offers some kind of permanent or semi-permanent retainer to increase compliance. We didn't pay for that up front but I should probably add it on if the braces ever come off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paige said:

Not yet but I hope to be there with you in a few months.

Side question: Does anyone have a teen who struggles with wearing rubber bands? I think this kid will never, ever, ever get out of braces because of this. It doesn't bode well for future retainer compliance.

I think our orthodontist offers some kind of permanent or semi-permanent retainer to increase compliance. We didn't pay for that up front but I should probably add it on if the braces ever come off. 

I feel your pain.  Semi-perm retainer sounds like a fantastic idea.  

The one I have in braces now does pretty well with rubber bands, but I remember the orthodontist said after he had rubber bands for awhile they would add an appliance that stays in that serves the same purpose as the rubber bands.  I forget what it's called, but if your teen still has a substantial overbite maybe it's worth asking.  If the rubberbands are not for overbite, it might not be helpful.  #notanorthodontist  #don'tplayoneonTV

42 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Are y'all watching Teaching the Classics?

Yes.  I'm hoping to get through the main 5 sessions over the next two weeks so that they have a common basis for discussion and doing a "story chart" for a handful of literature books so that their primary English focus this year will be their writing programs.  (OYAN for one, Byline for the other).  At least that's the plan, lol.  

• Like 2

sadpo/

Good morning all. Haven't ketchupped. It's been a rough few days. DH's depression is worse than it's been in months. Can't get therapist's office to pick up the phone. I am now seriously contemplating putting the kids back in PS for this year... we simply don't have any money to purchase needed supplies, and any money talk at all just crushes DH into the dirt. On his way out the door this morning he said, "It's so hard to wake up every day knowing that nothing I do will make any difference." I said, "If you didn't do what you're doing, we'd be on the street. Seems like a difference to me." He said, "If kind people weren't helping us out, we'd be on the street right now anyway." It's so hard for me to combat those thoughts in him, so hard to watch him walk around, shoulders slumped, looking totally defeated by life. So hard to see him come home from work like he did yesterday, straight into the bedroom so the kids wouldn't see him cry, and stay down there all evening because being around people makes him feel worse. I think the kids are in a good place emotionally right now where I could put them back in PS for a year and it wouldn't destroy them. The fact is, my earning potential is greater than DH's from an hourly-wage perspective, although I'm not sure how many more students I'd be able to get. I just want him not to feel so completely alone and overburdened. I want to help us dig out of this hole we've wound up in after 2 years with him unable to work. It's something I've been mulling over privately for a few weeks, but this morning I prayed about it and then sent DH a text to open it up as a discussion. I think at the very least we need to talk about it.

/sadpo

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

Good Morning.

Happy Tuesday.

I woke up yesterday knowing that it was Monday, but by the end of the day I thought it was Tuesday.  It was a long day, apparently.  ?

My girls woke up to no electricity in their rooms this morning.  The breaker had popped.  Weird.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

Hi!

Well, JJM!! Good to see you, girlfriend!!

9 hours ago, Slache said:

I doubled my step goal so now I don't have to do anything tomorrow.

I finally reached my step goal.  Did several laps around the back yard in the dark last night.

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Did you know that Michael Crichton wrote a book at least partially based on Beowulf?  Eaters of the Dead.  Sounds delightful.

Susan.... step away from the book!!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1