• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

so, there was a small accident in my kitchen today.

I had cooked a small pork roast, in a glass baking dish. I opened the wall oven door and pulled the rack out so I could check the temperature on the roast, and the rack fell down.

oven%20rack.jpg

See the little thingies on the bottom at the back corners of the rack? They go under the [i don't know what you call the inside parts of an oven] that the rack sits on to keep it in place. One of those had broken off. I will not tell you how someone who lives in this house was angry at it once and threw it down and that thingie broke off.

Anyway.

I've been using that rack for years just the way it is, but I don't usually have heavy baking dishes on it. Today when I opened the oven door and pulled it out, the rack gave way, and baking dish and roast crashed to the floor. I twisted somehow--I don't know if I was trying to get out of the way or to grab the baking dish or what--and pain shot through my hip, such that I yelled and had to hang on to the counter to keep from falling. Mr. Ellie was right there in the family room, and he jumped up and ran into the kitchen. He picked up the roast, cleaned up all the glass, and took the rugs outside to shake the glass off them. By then I could move, and I washed the greasy drippings off the floor.

Then I nuked the wild rice mixture left over from yesterday's dinner, sliced and sauteed some zucchini, and sat down to eat the roast, which was just fine after its adventure.

that is all

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 4

so, there was a small accident in my kitchen today.

I had cooked a small pork roast, in a glass baking dish. I opened the wall oven door and pulled the rack out so I could check the temperature on the roast, and the rack fell down.

oven%20rack.jpg

See the little thingies on the bottom at the back corners of the rack? They go under the [i don't know what you call the inside parts of an oven] that the rack sits on to keep it in place. One of those had broken off. I will not tell you how someone who lives in this house was angry at it once and threw it down and that thingie broke off.

Anyway.

I've been using that rack for years just the way it is, but I don't usually have heavy baking dishes on it. Today when I opened the oven door and pulled it out, the rack gave way, and baking dish and roast crashed to the floor. I twisted somehow--I don't know if I was trying to get out of the way or to grab the baking dish or what--and pain shot through my hip, such that I yelled and had to hang on to the counter to keep from falling. Mr. Ellie was right there in the family room, and he jumped up and ran into the kitchen. He picked up the roast, cleaned up all the glass, and took the rugs outside to shake the glass off them. By then I could move, and I washed the greasy drippings off the floor.

Then I nuked the wild rice mixture left over from yesterday's dinner, sliced and sauteed some zucchini, and sat down to eat the roast, which was just fine after its adventure.

that is all

Dear me! I hope it was just a freak joint thing.

Glad you survived and boy am I sorry about the roast. When I roast a roast I look forward to it for hours.

We had stuffed peppers and garlic bread and salad. 

• Like 3

Good morning! Internet issues here - probably ice. (Hopefully)

(((Ellie))). I would have been a bit chicken about eating the roast because of possible remaining glass. Glad you suffered no ill effects!

Crazy irregularities here -

Our dog (normally outside only) has a place on his leg that was getting worse. He had second trip to vet Sunday resulting in biopsy, stitches and a cone to keep him from messing with it. He came home last night to the garage since it cannot get wet.

Dh has a training class one hour away, so he is unavailable for usual trips to oldest ds' school, etc.

And because of ice some things are one hour delay and some activities are cancelled and some are not.

I need the spinning head emo, but I'm on my phone, so just imagine it instead.

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 8

Do any of you have a spreadsheet where you plan your student's daily/yearly school goals? 

If so, would you mind sharing? Pretty please? :D

I do.  :)

PM me your email address and I will send it to you when I get home. 

ETA:  Then you can see my crazy and probably pointless compilation of ISBNs.  LOL 

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

One other thought on checklists---

I have found that a general checklist is helpful, but work samples are actually more important.  When I could show the OT that we had worked consistently on handwriting for three years--and produced the work samples showing no change--then she finally clued in that I wasn't an inconsistent "bad" homeschooling parent.

I have my lesson plans, some work samples, and a general scope and sequence because my previous state required it.  I do not have RTI plans for my LD kids, nor IEPs.  We had a 504 on one kid, and we'll likely keep up the paperwork on him just so that he can keep his accommodations for testing and college.  I don't do daily goals though---just yearly ones with checkboxes for each quarter. And that I had only because of my previous state.

• Like 3

I have found that a general checklist is helpful, but work samples are actually more important.  When I could show the OT that we had worked consistently on handwriting for three years--and produced the work samples showing no change--then she finally clued in that I wasn't an inconsistent "bad" homeschooling parent.

I have my lesson plans, some work samples, and a general scope and sequence because my previous state required it.  I do not have RTI plans for my LD kids, nor IEPs.  We had a 504 on one kid, and we'll likely keep up the paperwork on him just so that he can keep his accommodations for testing and college.  I don't do daily goals though---just yearly ones with checkboxes for each quarter. And that I had only because of my previous state.

Mine's more of a week-by-week daily plan, and then documentation of was actually accomplished.  The "checklist" is for me.  I keep ALL the things sample-wise, but when it's just readings or videos and the like, there is nothing to show except for the record.  But I have a tab for the planned schedule, tab for curriculum in use, for curriculum ideas, list of books I read to him, books he's read by himself, things I want to remember or have easy to access links for websites/videos, counts of how many days we've completed so I can see how much leeway I have in the rest of the year's schedule - oh, all the things. :) 

I guess the only thing I actually don't have is "goals." 

• Like 4

Same here. 

As for checklists, schedules, etc., I know myself. If I don't have a set schedule, stuff won't get done, regardless of good intentions. DH even mentioned that he'd like for me to have a specific schedule set up. (He knows me far too well. haha) 

Mine's more of a week-by-week daily plan, and then documentation of was actually accomplished.  The "checklist" is for me.  I keep ALL the things sample-wise, but when it's just readings or videos and the like, there is nothing to show except for the record.  But I have a tab for the planned schedule, tab for curriculum in use, for curriculum ideas, list of books I read to him, books he's read by himself, things I want to remember or have easy to access links for websites/videos, counts of how many days we've completed so I can see how much leeway I have in the rest of the year's schedule - oh, all the things. :)

I guess the only thing I actually don't have is "goals." 

This sounds like exactly what I'm wanting to see. YAY!

• Like 2

Ellie:  How's the hip?

Mary:  I use an excel planner that was free on Donna Young's website.  For high school planning, I'm doing battle with her super fancy high school planner (it's not free, but I figured I owed her).  So far, the planner is winning.  Handily.

Lynn:  Do not take unnecessary journeys!  Avoid treacherous roads!

ikslo:  I want to see the ISBN List of Doom!

:seeya:

Here's the link, Mary, in case you're interested.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

(((Ellie)))  I'm glad you were not injured.  We have a broken refrigerator drawer from the time my MIL tried to clean the refrigerator.  

I don't have goals or spreadsheets.  I have lists of subjects and curricula for each kid by each year/grade.  Starting in high school, I use ISBNs because it might be helpful for a transcript.  I save samples of each subject's work and put it in a three ring binder with a list of the subjects/curricula.  This is for the children to look back on their schoolwork as memories just like my mom saved those things for me when I was in public school.  Last year I did a parent-teacher conference and wrote up extensive notes.  That was fun and actually a great experience for both me and the kids.  And good for dh to be involved.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 9

Same here. 

As for checklists, schedules, etc., I know myself. If I don't have a set schedule, stuff won't get done, regardless of good intentions. DH even mentioned that he'd like for me to have a specific schedule set up. (He knows me far too well. haha) 

I do have Word documents of weekly schedules for the subjects that need these or already have them.  Also, I keep syllabi for outside classes like co-op or online classes.  I like a weekly schedule to follow.

• Like 2

I do have daily schedules/lesson plans....but they say things like HWT (handwriting without tears) p. 31. I check it when we're done.  My lesson plans don't say "form the letter M with the proper stroke sequence, height, and spacing using an appropriate grip, paper placement, and supporting posture structure".

Most homeschoolers actually have schedules, not lesson plans. :-)

• Like 2

I do have daily schedules/lesson plans....but they say things like HWT (handwriting without tears) p. 31. I check it when we're done.  My lesson plans don't say "form the letter M with the proper stroke sequence, height, and spacing using an appropriate grip, paper placement, and supporting posture structure".

Yeah, that's about how my daily lesson plan looks, too. And half the time it's in my head until I put it down on the whiteboard in the morning. 

ETA: I am aware that I need to come up with a better scheduling format in the future than "Ask Mom."

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

Yeah, that's about how my daily lesson plan looks, too. And half the time it's in my head until I put it down on the whiteboard in the morning. 

ETA: I am aware that I need to come up with a better scheduling format in the future than "Ask Mom."

I try to keep my schedule planned to at least 2 weeks out, in case I get sick.  Then I can keep DS somewhat on schedule without having to think.

• Like 4

Most homeschoolers actually have schedules, not lesson plans. :-)

I used to do a very good job writing things down. I made a table on Word and it had all the subjects and all the kids' names and what pages they should be doing each day. It was weekly and I'd just copy the template each week and fill it in.

And then.... I realized that we just do the next thing each day. Next math lesson, next spelling lesson, next grammar lesson, next Latin lesson. So, why on earth was I writing it all down? So, I stopped.

• Like 4

Do any of you have a spreadsheet where you plan your student's daily/yearly school goals? 

If so, would you mind sharing? Pretty please? :D

This is a reminder to myself to look for my files when I get home. Oh, wait, you said spreadsheet. I don't have a spreadsheet, but other yearly goal pages. I'll still look.

• Like 3

I have not ketched up.

Mr. Ellie to the rescue :clapping:

((Ellie))

Growl to Tex's MiL. There are no words.

JoJosmom, I have always wondered the same thing about Padme. Codependent, much?

Today is piano day. The Jehovahs paid us a morning visit. I was tempted to bring them in and try to convert them, lol. BIL is Catholic and very much enjoys discussing religion. He used to invite them in and they would discuss for hours. Finally, after about two months, they said, "we aren't going to convert you, are we?" He said, "no." They told him they had to move on :lol:

(Disclaimer, I am not telling this story to be derogatory to any group... It was just a funny story.)

Another funny story. And a huge wife fail moment for the Prof.

As we were talking in bed last night, Dh ask me if I found the card. I had no idea what he was talking about and was wondering if I had lost a card... Maybe a credit card? Yikes.

Nope. It was my Valentine's Day card that he picked out hisself and wrote in:-) He had stuck in in the mirror on the table in our dressing room... Sunday. I have looked in the mirror, walked past it, and basically looked directly at it about 20 times since he put it there and I didn't.even.see.it :facepalm:

He sounded sad. This is a fourth degree black belt, former body builder, 180 pounds of awesomeness. :crying:

We had a huge belly laugh when we realized what happened and what a complete zombie I must have been not to see that. Luckily, neither of us is the easily offended type. So it's all good.

It did make me realize that I need a vacation badly.

And today it's PMS in full swing. I may just lay in the yard and create snow angels. That may just look crazy enough to make everyone leave me alone :D

• Like 9

Week three of potty training here. First poops in the potty this morning. I have hope!

I'm jealous. Dd is almost 4 and blatantly refuses to go poop in the potty. We have bribed, taken things away, etc. NOTHING seems to work. :( 

I think there are some underlying constipation issues. I'm going to take her to the dr on our next break to try to figure stuff out. 

• Like 2

I have ketched up:-)

((Renai's dd))

Yay for the Slache visit. I am proud of her for seeking self-improvement. We aren't going anywhere:-)

And I vote Ichabod for the baby's name. Ichabod Bin Slacheypoo. There is a name to get pounded by.

:hooray: for Tsuga's new house... Could not have happened to a better chick:-) and prayers for its former occupants... That is so hard. We bought a house once that was owned by someone Dh went to high school with. We got the very strong impression that this was a forced move. It was sad. Yesterday, we found out he died of an "illness". They had also divorced a couple of years after the move. It is hard on the heart to watch people go through that kind of agony.

• Like 5

As far as organizing school, I have to get my stuff together. I use a spreadsheet as a weekly plan that I print out for each kid. It also serves as a record. I never wanted to create them for the entire year in case we get off track. But with older DS going into high school next year, we can't get off track, lol. And I have a tendency to procrastinate on filling in their week plans and distributing them. So I plan on creating all week plans for the rest of this year in the next week or two. Then, when I do the rest of my prep in summer, I will print them for all weeks and keep them in their weekly folders.

I will feel good when this is done, however, it feels daunting. Because PMS.

I am also working on my transcript document so I get in the habit of updating it little by little and don't come upon junior year with a :leaving: attitude.

• Like 3

One more thing. (Apparently I am chatty today:-)

Ds11 had a writing assignment for Exp Writing I at WTMA. Usually, they are paragraphs. For various reasons, he didn't really start it until Monday am and it was due Mon at midnight. It was actually a natural sequence on the reproductive cycle of an octopus. Basically, a three page paper. Oy.

So he worked hard during the day. I had to walk him through putting things in order and we went through about 4 revisions. (Another one, mom?!) He was a total trooper and finished around 10:30p, but he finished. I was very proud. And his first draft was uber adorable. He even talked about his stuffed octopus. Be still my heart. We had to grownupify it, but I have kept the first draft for my memory box.

But if I never think about the reproductive cycle of an octopus again, it will be too soon:-)

• Like 7

House internet is working again - yay - but I'm on my phone while I wait to pick up ds.

Where is Dawn today? I suppose Susan is having brain dead Tuesday?

I do an excel spreadsheet of weekly assignments. I don't list goals. I sometimes look at resources used for each subject for several years at a glance to think bigger picture - what have we accomplished and what are we missing. I like Ambleside online' schedules for examples of what we could do.

• Like 3

That sounds like fun. Do you get to prime and paint it afterwards, too? That's my favorite part, assuming the drywall was installed and skim coated properly.

Painting gets me off my butt. Housework does not.

Yup!  The priming and painting is definitely the fun part.  In fact, all of it would be fun, if Queen Ellie would just show up at my doorstep in the next five minutes and take my children.  Not only would my house be ready to sell, but it would also be ready to show, and my children would all be brilliant readers and thinkers and conversationalists with perfect SAT scores that they are too humble to brag about, and I would not be shouting things at the top of my lungs about what-awful-punishment-awaits-those-who-whine-and-bicker-at-the-top-of-their-lungs.

But the Queen is not here.   :crying:   So it's Lord of the Flies and Pizza For Dinner and Just You Wait Until Daddy Gets Home and Sees What You've Done.  

Yo.  

ETA:  Hey!  A Where-The-Heck-Is-Queen-Ellie-When-You-Need-Her? Booyah!!!!

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 10

(((Ellie)))  I'm glad you were not injured.  We have a broken refrigerator drawer from the time my MIL tried to clean the refrigerator.  She also broke the cover to the light and a lightbulb off in the socket.  The refrigerator was so much better off before she messed with it.  We have now lived with the broken things for about 6 years.  Occasionally the drawer falls out.  Mostly I remember I need two hands to manage it forever after she touched it.  She also criticized us that we took a long time putting it back together after she completely disassembled it with no rhyme or reason.  Neither of us could figure out how to put it back together.  We finally gave up.  We also lost a lot of perishables because you cannot let meat sit out on the counter all day while you are destroying someone's fridge.  Destroy it quickly and put the stuff back in, I say!  At least they will get to keep their food.

I don't have goals or spreadsheets.  I have lists of subjects and curricula for each kid by each year/grade.  Starting in high school, I use ISBNs because it might be helpful for a transcript.  I save samples of each subject's work and put it in a three ring binder with a list of the subjects/curricula.  This is for the children to look back on their schoolwork as memories just like my mom saved those things for me when I was in public school.  Last year I did a parent-teacher conference and wrote up extensive notes.  That was fun and actually a great experience for both me and the kids.  And good for dh to be involved.

I know if I searched, I'd find out what the ISBN thing is all about.  But I'm lazy.  So what's it all about?

• Like 1

I know if I searched, I'd find out what the ISBN thing is all about.  But I'm lazy.  So what's it all about?

Miss Ikslo is super-organized and has a record of every.single.book she and her ds have read -- including ISBN numbers. :001_cool:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7

I'm jealous. Dd is almost 4 and blatantly refuses to go poop in the potty. We have bribed, taken things away, etc. NOTHING seems to work. :( 

I think there are some underlying constipation issues. I'm going to take her to the dr on our next break to try to figure stuff out. 

:grouphug:

Thanks to a hereditary condition in our family, we've had to deal with this multiple times.  Definitely solve the constipation issues if they exist, and put a hold on any potty-training until you find out more.  (Because there is no point in frustrating yourself or your dd.)  Dd 3.5 was exactly the same as your dd, and it was caused by constipation; but this and this worked wonders.  Once constipation was under control, she potty-trained within two days, both pee and poop, and can go overnight now too.  She's been trained now for about 4 or 5 months.  She will be four in one month. 

BTW -- Doctors are very fond of Miralax right now.    Just from my own experience (we used Miralax for years with multiple children), it might help some, but it's very unpredictable (stool accidents are more likely to happen and it's difficult to ever really get the "right" dosage), it doesn't really improve the child's sensation for when to go (I think because it doesn't really empty them enough), and it is, well, messy.  As in -- ahem -- too oily and slimy for a kid to really wipe up well on their own.  By contrast, a healthy kid will produce stools that wipe almost cleanly, and will not leave skid marks in her underwear or on the floor.  Miralax never succeeded for my kids.  Enemas did.  (Plus dietary changes and all that to keep them from falling back into constipation.)  

#howsthatforoversharing  :lol:

• Like 6