Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Wait. What? Where are you going?

Jolly Olde England.

3 hours ago, Junie said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Dd19 and I are going on the creative writing trip that was supposed to happen a couple years ago.  We'll get to tour Tolkien and C.S. Lewis -type places and the medieval library at Oxford and dd will have creative writing sessions.  I kind of don't want to go because it seems so extravagant and somehow inappropriate but I want it for dd and she is excited to go so alas and alack.  We are going.  I'm sure it will be wonderful.

It's a Hurrah for England Booyah!

ITT Fight Song

We are ITT   
a happy lucky posting family    
We are ITT    
Get up everybody and sing!

Jean, 10/2020

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Jolly Olde England.

Dd19 and I are going on the creative writing trip that was supposed to happen a couple years ago.  We'll get to tour Tolkien and C.S. Lewis -type places and the medieval library at Oxford and dd will have creative writing sessions.  I kind of don't want to go because it seems so extravagant and somehow inappropriate but I want it for dd and she is excited to go so alas and alack.  We are going.  I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Get a picture at the Texas embassy!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s been a very busy camp prep day. But I think that things are coming together. So far we’re going to have a very young camp which is more work for me as the teacher of the youngers but great for the future of the camp. 

It's coming up soon? I thought it was in June.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I am using this as well, from Slachey's recommendation.  I think my balding area is gradually getting better, but I definitely am not losing the handfuls of hair that I used to.

Many years ago, when I started noticing some hair loss (never in handfuls, though), I used something, I don't even remember what. It did not cause the hair **on my head** to grow, but I did have eyebrow *and upper lip* growth. o_0 I now know that my hair loss is an autoimmune response (there's an official name I'd have to go look up, and I don't wanna), so I'm guessing my autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's) would have needed to be addressed, and that would not have happened 30 years ago. ::shrugs::

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Green Bean said:

EdPo: I have resolved my fall term issues and know what we are doing.  I kinda want to open a “Kids Who Don’t Fit a Grade Level 22-23 Planning” thread.

I never planned based on grade level. I planned based on whatever the heck I thought looked good. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Green Bean said:

EdPo: I have resolved my fall term issues and know what we are doing.  I kinda want to open a “Kids Who Don’t Fit a Grade Level 22-23 Planning” thread.

I think essentially that's what the Advanced Learner planning thread is. There is all sorts of misalignment on that planning thread.

• Like 1

Morning. Today's plans involve garden work, some baking, writing, reading, and that's about it. I might do some decluttering. I'm busy getting all the homeschool materials out of the house to free up cabinet and shelf space. Hoping to have that all done before July. I probably won't hang on to much--just a few books that I liked the methodology in and probably most of the Latin stuff because I'm still studying and would like to start back working on Latin for myself this summer. Might keep some of the art appreciation books and French study books as well. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Clarita said:

I think essentially that's what the Advanced Learner planning thread is. There is all sorts of misalignment on that planning thread.

Not really. Although there is a lot of it, the students in general are pretty advanced. There isn't much room for those who are working "behind" the arbitrary grade levels.

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sometimes I get things wrong on Duolingo because even though I understand the Japanese perfectly I can't figure out how to say it in English.  So I translate it word for word but then it's marked incorrect because it's not really how you say it in English. 

Yep, same here with Spanish. Translation is a different skill, and we mostly need to interpret things, especially idioms and other expressions. I don't know how that works on Duolingo though.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Do you all have any Memorial Day plans?

We are going on a 10 mile hike at a local state park.  We have pb&j sandwiches in the freezer and snacks and water.  I need to find the bug spray.

Coffee!

Our state and national parks are mostly closed, due to fires.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It's Monday! Woohoo!

Staying home (mostly) today. Later a friend and I are going to see "Downton Abby" at the theater. I shall have popcorn and a soft drink to celebrate.

Mr. Ellie is home today, of course; he's invited to the movies with us, but he probably won't come.

• Like 5

Morning.   

No specific Memorial Day plans here.  Cabinets should be going into the kitchen today but evidently countertops are going to take a month or so (coming out to measure, making/ordering, waiting for them to come in, scheduling installation) but we'll have boards over the cabinets so things are usable.  

I'm hanging at the science center.  I want to start shifting things around, although my back is feeling achy/twingy today so I'm not sure I should do much.   I guess I'll play it by ear.  I have plenty to do without lifting anything. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Slache said:

Whatcha doin?

I’m prefacing this with the reminder for myself that there is no shame in using what works for my kids and me. This is for the older kids. 

TGTB LA

Reading list from MP selections and one Shakespeare play (which one first?)

Saxon Math

BJU Science (maybe dlo, maybe lab kits)

BJU History

9 hours ago, Clarita said:

Renai answered this as I was going to. My kids are not advanced in any area. We’ve had learning issues that have pushed everything back.

Morning! Happy Memorial Day! First day of summer break for us! I’m struggling not to make the kids keep going on math, though.

We decided to cancel the super duper expensive order and go with our not go in debt to get a new mattress plan. So Costco and IKEA today. Anything is better than our 17 yr old mattress!

DH is going to take me to see Top Gun tonight, if we can get tickets.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Slache said:

A Midsummer Night's Dream. What are you doing with it? I want to do Simply Charlotte Mason's Shakespeare.

I’m not sure yet. All I know are MP guides. I will check that out.

58 minutes ago, Slache said:

A Midsummer Night's Dream is my favorite, A Comedy of Errors is John's. He's 11.

I will take his advice in account. Thanks, John!

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

We saw a lot of “Shakespeare in the Park” productions. Midsummer Night’s Dream is a good one but I will mention that it has fairies and magic. (Just saying that because I think that there is someone(s) on this thread who might not like that aspect but I can’t remember if it’s you). 

Not me. Die hard fantasy sci-fi family here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

A Midsummer Night's Dream is my favorite, A Comedy of Errors is John's. He's 11.

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We saw a lot of “Shakespeare in the Park” productions. Midsummer Night’s Dream is a good one but I will mention that it has fairies and magic. (Just saying that because I think that there is someone(s) on this thread who might not like that aspect but I can’t remember if it’s you). 

This reminded me that there is Shakespeare in the Garden here that I wanted to check out with Gymnast. And, lo, they are doing A Comedy of Errors!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I’m here. Sorry I’ve been AWOL. We went to Memorial Day Family Camp this weekend. Just got home an hour ago. It was nice. Beautiful mountain camp. Been going there for years. Good speaker, good music, good conversations with old friends. No cell service. Listened to frogs at night. Spent time in the craft room…. I made a leather bookmark. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We are back from the hike.  It was 11 miles and took us a couple hours longer than I expected.  My whole body aches and I'm pretty sure I'll find blisters when I take off my boots.  Gotta shower.

Everybody check for ticks!

Just a random question that popped into my head. Do ticks come off the shower?  

• Like 1

I have performed minor surgery on the blood blisters and ran out to the store to get ice cream.  On the hike, I tripped on a root and took a tumble but aside from some scrapes, the only real damage was to my glasses which got bent.  They are pretty well straightened now, but I might need to fiddle with them just a bit more.

I was reading my book earlier and heard dd13 say my name.  Apparently I had fallen asleep sitting up, lol.

• Like 4