Menu

Ignore this thread!

So. . .  I have worked since last night on the camp website registration forms.  Not non-stop, but in spurts.  I think that I might have it uploaded correctly.  A friend is going to go to the website to check later.  I sure hope that it works because if it doesn't I have absolutely no idea how to fix it.  I am now done but I'm feeling leftover stress from the whole process.  (That and the whole hoping that I did it right, thing.)

It's a stressful Booyah.  Where's the chocolate? 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo continued (because we're on a new page and I don't wanna be accused of forgetting to EdPo):

Art curriculum I'm looking into:

Artistic Pursuits

Feed My Sheep

Beginning Painting

I'll branch out from there, if need be. I'm just glad I have a starting point.

I feel like Feed My Sheep is totally lacking in instruction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo continued (because we're on a new page and I don't wanna be accused of forgetting to EdPo):

Art curriculum I'm looking into:

Artistic Pursuits

Feed My Sheep

Beginning Painting

I'll branch out from there, if need be. I'm just glad I have a starting point.

I have used and like Artistic pursuits. And it's worth it to put out for the materials kit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have used Mark Kistler, Home Art Studio and Artistic Pursuits, so not a lot of experience here. I got the sheep book for free and immediately knew it was not good for us. I also read Drawing With Children and didn't like that, and I got How To Teach Art To Children for free and didn't like that either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Definitely not Feed My Sheep based on the sample pages. I can't find any video samples of Beginning Painting by the same artist. I really like the looks of the elementary series of Artistic Pursuits and wish I would've looked into it sooner.

I might do those with baby. They were not available. Big baby is doing Home Art Studio.

• Like 3

I realized I can do the new K-3 Artistic Pursuits with big baby in 1st through 4th. I would like that. I haven't priced it yet, but it's once a week for 4 years. I would throw in the Mark Kistler, too and I think that's perfect for him. He's the wrong age to be grouped with the the big ones, and too old for the little one.

• Like 5

Next week here in Central Texas, the weather will try to kill us again. I can't speak for Slache, but I for one will be sheltering in place as much as possible. Ugh. I prefer Snomageddon (without all the damage we experienced, of course).

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Next week here in Central Texas, the weather will try to kill us again. I can't speak for Slache, but I for one will be sheltering in place as much as possible. Ugh. I prefer Snomageddon (without all the damage we experienced, of course).

Pool.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Also, go to bed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

I live this day in and out all winter long. It gets old. I do not envy your weather, though. It will barely break 70 here today and it feels perfect.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I live this day in and out all winter long. It gets old. I do not envy your weather, though. It will barely break 70 here today and it feels perfect.

I love the weather. I also loved snomageddon, but it was just a few days.

• Like 4

EdPo:

Artistic Pursuits isn't going to fit the bill. I like both versions, but sadly Oldest doesn't. He basically wants a great big art set of everything and lessons on how to use it all. Mixing paint is a biggie on his list, so exploring the color wheel is definitely on the menu. I'm looking for something in between his imagination and reality.

This morning, I looked at Masterbooks Living Art Lessons and wonder if that will fit the bill with an art case of supplies and a mixed media pad? I don't see an actual package of recommended supplies ready for purchase.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Artistic Pursuits isn't going to fit the bill. I like both versions, but sadly Oldest doesn't. He basically wants a great big art set of everything and lessons on how to use it all. Mixing paint is a biggie on his list, so exploring the color wheel is definitely on the menu. I'm looking for something in between his imagination and reality.

This morning, I looked at Masterbooks Living Art Lessons and wonder if that will fit the bill with an art case of supplies and a mixed media pad? I don't see an actual package of recommended supplies ready for purchase.

Look at The Virtual Instructor. He has several types of lessons, which combined, might do this. 

Personally, I would not entertain this. I would pick a traditional curriculum and then let him branch out.

https://thevirtualinstructor.com/artvideocourses.html

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Look at The Virtual Instructor. He has several types of lessons, which combined, might do this. 

Personally, I would not entertain this. I would pick a traditional curriculum and then let him branch out.

https://thevirtualinstructor.com/artvideocourses.html

I don't think there is a "traditional" art curriculum. Maybe just curriculum. lol They all approach it in different ways. A lot of art curricula goes into the composition of art and other details, bit by bit. Gymnast didn't have the patience for that. She is learning it by following along with artists in the medium of her choice. It sounds like that is what your son is wanting as well. 

Personally, I don't think it's a big ask. An art case will usually have pastels, watercolor, color pencils, maybe acrylic paints, markers. It sounds like he wants lessons on how to use the different mediums. Some curricula will do this. Look at the table of contents and see if there are sections on the different mediums.  If all he wants to know is how to use the materials, YouTube will cover that, seriously. "How to use....[acrylic paints, etc.].  I'd say to start with drawing. Slash mentioned Mark Kistler; he's free on YouTube. Then go from there. If you have The Great Courses (now, Wondrium), there are several art courses on there. He can watch the videos and follow along.

I had put Gymnast in an art class (live, online) that rotated what medium they used - one week was color pencils, another was acrylic, another was watercolor, and the fourth was... I don't remember... Oh! Soft pastels. Each week, we got an email with materials needed, and I got those. She now has a nice set of art materials she can use. She found she really loved acrylic painting. She watches it on YouTube everyday now, and she now only picks up the class when it rotates back to acrylic painting (we get an email).

The key was starting somewhere. She hadn't done much art prior (oh, except a drawing class at weekend Chinese school a couple of years ago), and basically just jumped in. If it's just starting with *a* lesson or curriculum that shows how to draw a mouse, start there. It doesn't really matter. I did a couple of chapters of Drawing with Children with Dancer when she was young. We didn't get far, but it was enough to kickstart an interest which she carried through school. I don't remember doing much else with her, oh, except the Thomas Kincade videos which she did on her own. I'm lying - I did some of a then-new Art at Home curriculum that used different materials. I don't think it exists now.

I said all that to say this... You may or may not find A curriculum that will teach him how to use art materials without going through all the art composition things first. Find lessons on the medium of the month. There are classes on Udemy, Slash posted the Virtual Instructor, things like that. The elements of art will be taught within the art instruction.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, we had the most success with just letting them unschool art.  There are so many things online on how to paint, draw, etc.  We did have a set time for art, otherwise it just gets pushed aside.  And we tried to plan ahead on projects so that if there were any special materials needed then I could get them.  Art is an elective.  It's enjoyable and can turn into a lifetime of hobbies and appreciation.  Now my dd did turn her unschooled art into something more serious but forcing her into a box would have killed it for her, I think.  (A lot of this is personality as well.) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We don't do an art curriculum and haven't since the kids were really little and did How to Teach Art to Children.   Dd spends hours a day doing digital art and basically draws very chance she gets, ds does less but still does his own drawing. 

I have a ton of work to do this weekend.   I had one makeup class this morning and did a small amount of reorganizing afterwards.  But there is still a TON of stuff to do.  So much stuff.  And I am so tired.  

Didn't sleep well again because it was too hot and sticky and we don't have AC in our bedroom.  We gave our fan to ds because the AC unit in his room is turned off until they get the part to fix it.  

• Like 6

I took ds17 to a meeting.  Now home for an hour and then I have to take the girls to a Scout Order of the Arrow induction weekend; picking up a fellow Scout on the way.

Dinner tonight is pizza dippers with roasted garlic naan.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Morning.  Happy Saturday.  I had to get up early because the guy is coming to fix ds's AC.  Right now.  He's on his way.   

After that, I need to head to the science center.  The place is a mess from all the rearranging and I need to have it all cleaned up and organized by Monday morning.   I also still haven't planned classes, whoops.  This week of getting it all done, ended up being a bust due to all the household stuff.   

Dh wants to clean out the garage this weekend while we have the dumpster.  I don't know when he thinks that's going to happen.  

• Like 5

Good morning!  

Lots to do today.  I took the pup on his morning constitutional and then went over apps for dd19 to download for the trip.  I need to put away laundry, report grades and stuff to our umbrella, maybe run to a store or two, and do a bunch of misc. things.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D (is not ready yet. I got up earlier than I intended, since I woke up and then couldn’t breath due to a stuffy nose, so I decided to just get up and ITT, which isn’t really a bad thing. Oh…. COFFEE!!!~D is ready now. Anyone want some? I just bought some fresh sugar-free vanilla creamer from the AFSA last night, too.)

Saturday!! I really need to clean up the house. There are piles of mess everywhere. Lots of school stuff and just…. stuff. At least I got the grocery shopping done last night so I can focus on housework and maybe a little yard stuff today.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

How are you feeling, Junie?

Thanks for asking! :)  Breathing is mostly back to normal.  I am so thankful.

My pulmonology appointment is on Monday, so I'll be able to talk to my doctor about what to expect going forward.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1