Menu

Ignore this thread!

On 2/25/2022 at 10:55 PM, Green Bean said:

I have a blue ribbon winning biscuit recipe from my mom's childhood family cook from Mississippi. Only way to mess it up is rolling the dough too thin. It works dairy free and gluten free, too.

In a large bowl, use a pastry blender until looks like small peas:

2 sticks unsalted butter (or use less salt)

4 cups flour

4 tsp. baking pwdr

2 tsp. sugar (or more if you like them sweet. or leave it out)

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cream of tarter

Add: 1 1/3 cup milk

Stir in with a wooden spoon. It will look like you need more milk, but you don't. Once it comes together a bit, use your hand to knead until it holds together in a ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured countertop. Roll or pat to about 1/2 inch (yes, you read that right) thickness. Use a 2 in. round cutter or a glass dipped in flour. Re roll scraps. Bake for 8-12 mins at 425. Check the bottoms for doneness (light brown) as the tops do not brown. Makes 2 doz. and maybe an extra 2, depending on your cutter. Serve with all your favorite toppings.

I've passed this along to just about every guest who ate them at my house. Never fails.

Heavens to Betsy, it's a Green Bean Biscuit Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Do you know which part is leaking?

From what I could see last night, it was dripping from the bottom of the door.  Like through the hinge.  However, I think I've discovered the way to prevent dishwasher leaks: sit and watch the dishwasher for 2 hours.  Tonight, no leak. 🙄 yay?

#mybutthurts

#isaidbutt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

From what I could see last night, it was dripping from the bottom of the door.  Like through the hinge.  However, I think I've discovered the way to prevent dishwasher leaks: sit and watch the dishwasher for 2 hours.  Tonight, no leak. 🙄 yay?

#mybutthurts

#isaidbutt

When they get old the sealant cracks but the gasket prevents it from leaking. This way it will leak when the gasket is not in properly, but then not leak when it is. I would ignore it, leaving a towel down for 3 or 4 washes, and if it leaks again make sure the gasket is in place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  

Demolition started on our kitchen today.  So we are now eating out for every meal for at least 3 days (hopefully only 3 days).   Dd and I went to the science center early to escape the noise.  Somehow ds is sleeping through it and will come later.  

This is the last big project on the house.   We will finally be able to put things back in their final (ish) resting places and have a beautiful, always clean, perfectly organized house.   

That could happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to spend this weekend rearranging the science center (yep, again).   We're going to try a new setup for next year where my elementary teacher and I have assigned rooms, and the teachers for the younger kids share a room.  My elementary teacher and I are the only ones that work 4 (or 5 in my case) days a week, the rest all work once a week and each on a different day, other than my new PreK teacher who will mainly use my room at a time I don't teach.    This will allow my elementary teacher to have her room set up entirely in the way that works best for her.   We've been loosely doing that for the past couple weeks but we have to move a (large, folding) wall to set it up fully and that will happen this week while I'm off.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So the house decluttering thing seems like one big 3-D puzzle.  I can't get to the rest of the kitchen things to move because dh cleaned out the shed and stacked heavy boxes of stuff in front of where the kitchen things were.  So I've started to go through those heavy boxes.  And I'm moving probably half of it to Goodwill but there's still the problem of where to put the stuff that doesn't go to Goodwill.  Right now I'm working on toys - I'm still keeping some much loved toys from my childhood and also some (like legos) which are used at camp as well as some educational stuff in case I decide to go back into education/tutoring.  But I need a place to put the toys that I keep.  I've decided on the bunny room but that means that I need to clear things out/ declutter in there first. . .    Though it's a pain trying to get to things around hopping bunnies with a death wish. . . or at least with a wish to trip and maim me. 

• Like 5

Doing a whole lotta NUTHIN' today. It's stinkin' hot, and because it's a holiday weekend, and Austin is somewhat of a destination city (especially with Lake Travis close by) traffic will be ugly. So Mr. Ellie and I are just...staying home and binge-watching "Magnum" on the Roku channel.

I am pantzed, though, just in case, although I can't promise how long that will last. FYI.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, KrissiK said:

I'm not sure what this says either about me or the song, but I had a really hard time not belting out ,"Sweet Caroline, ba ba baa, good times never felt so good." In the drink aisle of the AFSA when it came on the loud speakers this morning. 

I promise that if you had belted it out, other shoppers would have happily and gustily joined in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The women in my family make tasty, fluffy biscuits. Sadly, they didn't teach me. 😞 I could see them doing it in my mind's eye, but I couldn't figure out the ratios for the ingredients, and, frankly, we don't eat bread with meals that much, so I was only mildly motivated to learn, lol. It goes along with the fudge that my grandmother made which she did not teach me.

So one of my Martha Stewart cook books, I found a recipe for biscuits, and I could tell that except for some differences in specific ingredients, THIS was THE RECIPE. And so this is it: 1 cup Crisco (yes, plastic shortening); 2 cups buttermilk; 4 cups self-rising flour. The women in my family put the flour in the bowl, put the shortening in a well in the middle of the flour, and poured the buttermilk in, mushing it up with their hands. They pinched off dough, rolled it, and put it on the baking sheet, gently mushing it down with the backs of their fingers which they first dipped in buttermilk. Apparently, they knew intuitively just how long to work the dough, because the biscuits were always perfect, never too flaky (which happens if you work the dough too much). I have only made them a few times, so I haven't mastered the not-overworking part. But they still taste like my family's biscuits, so there's that.

My grandmother made the best fudge. No marshmallow cream or anything. She made an effort to teach me, but she wasn't used to teaching anyone else how to cook, and she never measured anything, so I couldn't do it. BUT THEN....I once looked at the Hershey's cocoa can, and y'all, there was the recipe! Complete with measurements and everything! Sadly, there's a great deal of skill involved, which apparently I don't have; the concoction is cooked to a specific temperature on the candy thermometer, and if you cook it just a tiny bit over that, it seizes, turning into a rock in your pan that you have to chisel out. Grandmother used to take a tiny bit out with a spoon and stir it on a plate, and she could tell if it was done. I have only successfully made this fudge once or twice. ::heavy sigh::

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thinking aloud. Not every dog has a “Golden retriever personality “. And not all dogs are good for kids- especially unsupervised kids who want to come running up to them. Juliet is well trained. And while she’s barked to warn people off she’s never even come close to attacking someone. But yet I have neighbors who see her as a threat because I don’t want them coming close. Sigh. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 5

I have finished transferring ds17's scout patches to his "new" shirt which we found at a consignment sale over a year ago.  I dropped my needle and thread and can't find it.  I know it's here somewhere...  Next I plan to try to fix the bird feeder and put in more seed.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have finished transferring ds17's scout patches to his "new" shirt which we found at a consignment sale over a year ago.  I dropped my needle and thread and can't find it.  I know it's here somewhere...  Next I plan to try to fix the bird feeder and put in more seed.

I'll send dd15 right over.  She is my finder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I dropped two bags off at Goodwill. One bag of toys and one bag of “decor”. 

When I did my big clean out in 2015 it was eye opening and painful how much we didn't have for Goodwill. Most of what I got rid of was not worth donating.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I washed and dried all the stuffies before donating. I have another load of stuffies in the washing machine now.  

So much of what I got rid of was dollar store toys, extension packs of old vacuums, clothes that weren't salvageable. I just somehow became like a packrat or hoarder in training. We had stuff we sent to goodwill, but it was probably a 10 to 1 ratio for the dumpster. When people like you talk about how you send stuff to goodwill (I know you threw stuff away too) it just kind of brings me back and makes me think.

• Like 5

Hi! So Spalsh Town Day was a success- except ASD Son got horribly burnt on the backs of his hands and his legs, a bit on his face, one spot on his neck, and the tips of his ears. I guess I should have said he got sunburnt in various places, but listing them out is fun. I have been putting aloe vera gel with lidocaine and menthol on him. His hands worry me the most as they are REALLY red. He was mad about getting burned so now that is what he will remember about the day, unfortunately.

DH and I decided to go look for a new bed frame today and ended up buying not only that but also a new mattress as ours has been killing my back for years. We thought we would buy a Casper from Costco but the furniture store had some beds with the same firmness. It was death. We ended up with something vastly more expensive which I am not happy about but my back loved it which I am happy about. IDK...I may cancel the order.

So glad everyone likes my biscuit recipe! No green beans are involved- unless you like green beans on your biscuits.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Turns out that my father was an Eagle Scout, and his father, too. Sadly, my father didn't internalize some of the Eagle Scout things, and he lived most of his life as a rascal. o_0 But what I really had planned to say was that I have his Eagle Scout sash. I'm thinking I might donate it to a Scout organization, maybe the one back in Virginia where he grew up and did his Eagle Scout things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have tried a lot of biscuits since my teens. I've settled on bobby flays black pepper biscuits. It looks close to the one above but buttermilk instead and I leave off the black pepper. I love a good biscuit. Have made with powdered buttermilk too but I really love everything better with fresh buttermilk.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ellie said:

Turns out that my father was an Eagle Scout, and his father, too. Sadly, my father didn't internalize some of the Eagle Scout things, and he lived most of his life as a rascal. o_0 But what I really had planned to say was that I have his Eagle Scout sash. I'm thinking I might donate it to a Scout organization, maybe the one back in Virginia where he grew up and did his Eagle Scout things.

That would be lovely - I'm sure they would treasure it!

7 hours ago, Spirea said:

I have tried a lot of biscuits since my teens. I've settled on bobby flays black pepper biscuits. It looks close to the one above but buttermilk instead and I leave off the black pepper. I love a good biscuit. Have made with powdered buttermilk too but I really love everything better with fresh buttermilk.

I'm not at all good at making biscuits, but the best biscuit I've eaten was at 2 Cats Cafe in Bar Harbor, Maine when dh and I were there for our 25th anniversary.  They were 4 inches tall, no joke.  Fluffy and delicious. 😊

• Like 5

Morning. Still alive.

I make really great biscuits. They are gluten-free because I don't like being sick for biscuits. It was top of my list to learn gluten-free biscuits because I would be a laughing stock here if I couldn't figure out a biscuit.

One of the turtles is now a licensed driver. The other tests on Tuesday. In other news, I'm not quite at needing a wig, but have noticed stress is making some of my hair fall out. Or it might be summer and I'm shedding like the cats.

My peppers didn't transplant well despite the rainy cool weather last week. Don't know if they'll make it. Happily, I have some replacements still and will probably put those in pots to grow them when I get more dirt. The pumpkins ate the bags I had reserved for my transplants--they got their vines buried yesterday.

Also, I'm in decluttering mode, and that's such a pain. So much of my clutter is books, and some of those can go to Goodwill, others can't. Just a lot to sort and toss. Ugh.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. Still alive.

I make really great biscuits. They are gluten-free because I don't like being sick for biscuits. It was top of my list to learn gluten-free biscuits because I would be a laughing stock here if I couldn't figure out a biscuit.

Thank you for following regulations!

We definitely need to know about your gf biscuit recipe and technique if you are willing to share!

• Like 3

We were late for church and had to sit upstairs in the overflow room because I had an issue with Pantz.  I couldn't find them.  I eventually gave up and put on Other Pants, but I was really baffled.  I found them after church hiding out on a hanger with a blouse, the little stinker!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

We were late for church and had to sit upstairs in the overflow room because I had an issue with Pantz.  I couldn't find them.  I eventually gave up and put on Other Pants, but I was really baffled.  I found them after church hiding out on a hanger with a blouse, the little stinker!

Other Pants...what even is the point?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I use Nioxin (like Rogaine) and it works for me. My hair loss is from lupus, but lots of women use it for different reasons.

I am using this as well, from Slachey's recommendation.  I think my balding area is gradually getting better, but I definitely am not losing the handfuls of hair that I used to.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. Still alive.

Recipe?

• Like 2

I took dd19 to the Cricket store to find out about international service.  Ds26 came along for emotional support/old person tech translation.  Cricket does not offer international service so we came home and I called and got our phones unlocked so we can buy sim cards when we are there.  We'll still have to use WhatsApp to communicate back home, but I'll feel better having access to cell service while there so I can access plane tickets and stuff and in case I get lost or something.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My recipe works gf and df. I think I fogot to put that in my original post. I bet Critter's version is better, though. She has more practice.

Anyway, we churched. DH and I were pulled in to sub in the Nursery class. One little girl is a real cutey firecracker, but today she went too far- pinching and stomping on people's toe, including mine, after being told we don't hurt our Nursery friends. I had to get her mom. I also had one of the other little guys on my lap. He did one of those fast sideways lurches and crashed into a chair. Thankfully, his mom was cool with the new bruise. She said he does that all the time at home and not to worry. Still, I was mortified.

Little Man crashed for nap on my bed. I so need one, but I want to sleep tonight.

Critter, glad you checked in. I was wondering how things were going.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I took dd19 to the Cricket store to find out about international service.  Ds26 came along for emotional support/old person tech translation.  Cricket does not offer international service so we came home and I called and got our phones unlocked so we can buy sim cards when we are there.  We'll still have to use WhatsApp to communicate back home, but I'll feel better having access to cell service while there so I can access plane tickets and stuff and in case I get lost or something.

Wait. What? Where are you going?

• Like 3

Hello, Happy Sunday.  

Slept crappy last night because it was sooooo HOT.  Turns out the AC was turned off and the heat was on in the kitchen to help the spackle dry.   Was awake most of the night, finally fell asleep around 3:30am, then dh woke me up around 9:30 because he brought me tea and a sandwich.  We have no kitchen so that was worth getting up for.  

Took the kids shopping.  dd had a Hot Topic gift card to spend.  Ds had gone with dh a few weeks ago but he brought more than dd this time too.  Mainly tshirts and he really needed some new ones so it was worth it.  Dd bought a couple tshirts then we went to the store older dd used to be the manager of.  She still works there part time and worked today.  dd brought a dress and two more shirts.  Then we ordered online a skirt and shirt that Hot Topic didn't have in stock in her size, and some bike shorts to wear under her skirts/dresses.   

It was a long day (I hate shopping), and it came after lunch with my mother, where she was fussier than usual, and gave me my mother's day gift (didn't come in time and had to be exchanged because, nope I am not an XL in anything I want to be comfortable in) in a bag that said "Welcome Baby" because that's all she had (no gift bag was actually necessary).  

Now it's not even 5pm and I'm kind of ready for bed already.  I'm also not loving the amount of laundry I need to do.  We wash all new clothes before wearing, then there's the normal laundry not getting done because of the work on our kitchen.  Laundry nook is off the kitchen.  

• Like 5