Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We did tons of fun and interesting stuff. It’s why I homeschooled. That’s not a brag. Just how it worked for us. 

We did fun stuff when they were little.  I really liked that stage for homeschooling.  Now that they are teenagers, homeschooling isn't as fun.  But as people, I prefer the teenager stage.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DorothyNJ said:

We did fun stuff when they were little.  I really liked that stage for homeschooling.  Now that they are teenagers, homeschooling isn't as fun.  But as people, I prefer the teenager stage.  

I loved the elementary years.  So much fun.  Yes, there were spelling tests and tears over math at times too.  But lots of just engaging with life and learning. 

Middle school was a time when my kids started to take the reins more.  They helped me to choose things that were engaging for them.  And they did projects on their own.  During school time and not just after school. 

High school wasn't as fun because I wimped out and went back to traditional American educational texts and subjects.  I did let them loose on electives.  I wish that I had followed the Lewelma's example in an deep free form education at that age but I didn't have the courage to do so.  But my kids came out of 12 years of schooling with me with a deep curiosity and a hunger as well as the skills to learn on their own so I guess it wasn't too bad. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I fixed a hole in another sweater and set up my new little clock on my nightstand.  I've had the old clock radio for probably 10 or more years.  Dd11 now has that one.  My new one has outlets for charging devices and (most importantly) I can make the front of the clock completely dark.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

We ate too much dinner and now we’re watching Enola Holmes. It’s delightful!

I posted a reply this morning, but it didn't post.  Oh well.  We really liked the Enola Holmes movie too, although dd was very critical of the differences from the book (shocking, right?).  I ended up reading all 6 books before I watched it with her so I would be able to sympathize properly.  😊

• Like 4

You guys got me thinking about homeschooling again now that I'm officially retired from it! 

The thing that I built my homeschool philosophy around was the idea that people learn best in certain ways.  This is why I was drawn to Charlotte Mason.  To me, CM has nothing to do with short lessons, narration etc. but the root ideas of getting people excited about learning "ideas".  That people naturally remember and build upon things that excite them and grab their interest.  So that drove my homeschooling. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I posted a reply this morning, but it didn't post.  Oh well.  We really liked the Enola Holmes movie too, although dd was very critical of the differences from the book (shocking, right?).  I ended up reading all 6 books before I watched it with her so I would be able to sympathize properly.  😊

Oh, I didn't realize there were books!  I'd better look into that!

• Like 1

We had cake and ice cream between the two orchestra rehearsals.  Dh's staff people pitched in and got him a Nothing Bundt cake and it's too delicious for words. Except words like delicious and yummy and more please!!  No dieting allowed today!  

Dh brought up a couple boxes of his old vinyl records - some really good ones in there - Chicago, Toto, James Taylor, Donald Fagen, Yes, Blood Sweat and Tears...    

We're currently listening to Chicago's first album.  Does anybody really know what time it is?  Lol.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Oh, I didn't realize there were books!  I'd better look into that!

I enjoyed the books a lot.  Just enough plot without a lot of suspense.  I can't handle really intense stuff.  

40 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We had cake and ice cream between the two orchestra rehearsals.  Dh's staff people pitched in and got him a Nothing Bundt cake and it's too delicious for words. Except words like delicious and yummy and more please!!  No dieting allowed today!  

Dh brought up a couple boxes of his old vinyl records - some really good ones in there - Chicago, Toto, James Taylor, Donald Fagen, Yes, Blood Sweat and Tears...    

We're currently listening to Chicago's first album.  Does anybody really know what time it is?  Lol.

Nothing Bundt Cake!  Totally Yummy!  I haven't had one of those in nearly a year.  The raspberry cupcake with cream cheese icing is my favorite.  We should definitely get some for Thanksgiving this year!  

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, Another Lynn said:

Oh how fun!  I'm never successful at something like that (ahem, patient enough) but I can't wait to see what you find!

Also, I like your new (?), shiny, efficient signature! 

We got there too late and the place was closed 🙄🤷‍♀️😬

• Sad 3

I tackled the pile of laundry on my bed. It was huge. But, a mindless and sweet Christmas movie helped the drudgery along. I finished a novel today. It was good, but sad, which made me not like it too much. The ending tied up the loose ends, but.... unrequited love and all that. I hate stories like that.

• Like 2

I hid most of the afternoon. 😉 The contractor guy from church came over in the afternoon. I took our Rottie mix downstairs so that she wouldn't eat our guest. It's always bad form when your dog eats the person doing you a great favor. I did come up at his request to give him my "vision" for the new kitchen. I got a kick out of the fact that he supported all of my choices and told my husband that the kitchen was "my" room. But other than that short appearance I stayed downstairs. Upstairs was loud, very dusty and I wouldn't have been able to concentrate or do anything up there.

• Like 5

Morning. I've already done chores and walked three miles. Why do I do that to myself? It sets a productivity level I'll struggle to reach for the rest of the day.

Reading this morning, then writing. I have to teach art and there's a socially-distanced tea party to go to this afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maize said:

Good morning!

I miss the sun in the morning. It's still pretty dark here.

Me too!  I try to incorporate the darkness into my vision of wonderful fall weather and it doesn't quite make it.

Critter, is it almost your unbirthday?  Is it October 22?  That's the date that pops up in my brain but I don't have it on my calendar.

While the 3 youngest are at Scouts tonight, I may sit down with dd17 and work on some university applications with her.  I am 99.8% sure she will not attend any of them, but it might be a good exercise so she sees what it is like.  And several of them do not require test score submissions, which would be a fairly significant factor for her being accepted.  I need to check her transcript and update her portfolio.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Me too!  I try to incorporate the darkness into my vision of wonderful fall weather and it doesn't quite make it.

Critter, is it almost your unbirthday?  Is it October 22?  That's the date that pops up in my brain but I don't have it on my calendar.

While the 3 youngest are at Scouts tonight, I may sit down with dd17 and work on some university applications with her.  I am 99.8% sure she will not attend any of them, but it might be a good exercise so she sees what it is like.  And several of them do not require test score submissions, which would be a fairly significant factor for her being accepted.  I need to check her transcript and update her portfolio.

Yes! It is almost my unbirthday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Oops, forgot about my laundry.  Better go get it.

In other news, my mandolin teacher was mean and made me make up music in a particular chord progression using only the notes of the lower chop.  He seems determined to make a mandolin player out of me.

Svengo.

The nerve of that man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D (I bought peppermint mocha creamer this weekend. It is heaven, I tell you. Heaven.)

Tuesday.

I am echoing Junie’s “I don’t wanna”.

Wow, that was weird. Lily- cat was sitting outside the girls’ bedroom door crying, so I picked her up to toss her outside (kitties who whine before 6:00am go back outside) and I opened the door and just as I was putting her out, her sister Misty can running in. Kitty trade. Misty doesn’t whine. She just stalks humming birds. But she is a really loud breather, so it is impossible for her to really sneak up on birds.

• Haha 4

Morning.  Still crazy busy around here.  Construction is still ongoing (and a mess!), classes are going well so far.  Had a couple kids out sick with various sniffles and "flu-like" but no Covid.   One kid is here with me today and one kid is at my mom's because it's their rooms getting worked on today.  

I'm ready for life to get back to something approaching normal.  Not even talking about Covid, that I was used to.  I'm talking about having to search piles for a utensil to cook, piles of crap in the middle of the room, dust everywhere.  I'm tired of it.  It will be great when it's done and it really shouldn't be much longer.  But ugh.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Hang in there, Toto!  Not much longer!

Go Go Kitchen Reno(vation)!

I was wondering just yesterday if it was time for peppermint mocha creamer! Glad you were able to get some, Krissi!  What with your chilly weather coming in...lol.

I managed to fold and put away all my laundry and get kids to somewhat settle into their morning lessons.  Dd14 is preoccupied with wanting to train the pup to be a sled dog and was attaching a laundry basket to his leash and getting him to pull for treats. I have an appointment with the dermatologist later this morning, and will probably stop by the library for pick up and return.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DorothyNJ said:

Morning.  Still crazy busy around here.  Construction is still ongoing (and a mess!), classes are going well so far.  Had a couple kids out sick with various sniffles and "flu-like" but no Covid.   One kid is here with me today and one kid is at my mom's because it's their rooms getting worked on today.  

I'm ready for life to get back to something approaching normal.  Not even talking about Covid, that I was used to.  I'm talking about having to search piles for a utensil to cook, piles of crap in the middle of the room, dust everywhere.  I'm tired of it.  It will be great when it's done and it really shouldn't be much longer.  But ugh.

I hear you, sister. And I am still towards the beginning of it. 

• Like 5

I'm feeling the need to prepare my den for winter hibernation. Looking at all these stacks of books because I have no more room on any of the multiple bookshelves I have and thinking

1) I need more bookcases

2) I need more bookcases. 

But that means I just don't need so many books. Also have books to buy. Gah. I may be dragged, kicking and screaming, away from my paper pile.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3