Menu

Ignore this thread!

40 minutes ago, Slache said:

Iron Man 2!

Matt and I did the series ourselves. Now we're editing them for the kids because we're legalists. They're loving them. We did America,  Marvel, Iron Man 1 and 2, next is Thor.

Ironman is my favorite superhero. I want to be Black Widow when I grow up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

A little late to the dinner convo, but we had steak tips, fried mashed potatoes, peas, and honey glazed carrots. Homemade dutch apple pie for dessert. With store bought vanilla ice cream.

Wow yum!

Feel free to cook dinner at my house anytime!

• Like 1

Morning.   Happy Saturday.  I tried to sleep in and was still up around 7:30am. 

Home Depot was supposed to deliver siding or something today and despite dh telling them the situation, they brought too big of a truck.  We have narrow streets and lots of turns in our neighborhood with limited places to turn around.  Evidently the guy couldn't even turn off the main road into our neighborhood.   So still we wait. 

Our windows weren't available so we had to reorder from Anderson.  More $$$ but they'll be better windows so I guess that's okay.   

Septic system isn't working and seems to be full so emptying that is on the agenda as well, with a replacement moved up on the schedule.  

By the time all this is done, nothing is going to resemble the original house.  I need to take some before pictures pretty soon. 

I'm spending today setting up school and doing some straightening up around the house, then tomorrow I"m going to my mother's to do laundry.    It's going to take all day but I can do some work on classes while there (I refuse to plan school there, too many books to haul over).  I don't want to go to laundrymat in covid-times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FIL was diagnosed with Covid in (I think) May with the usual, unpleasant symptoms. In July he began exhibiting neurological symptoms that MIL believed was a UTI but didn't take him to the hospital for a week and they got worse. He did not have a UTI so they did all the scans they would normally do and his condition has continued to decline. They were supposed to do an LP a week or 2 ago but had to put it off. I was unaware they got it done at some point but apparently he has unrecognizable proteins in his spine. They're saying it's from his Covid infection.

We don't know what this means for him. They're talking about months of antibiotics but I don't know if his neurological symptoms are from damage so they won't heal or the infection so they will or what. I don't know if they're 100% sure that's the problem or not. MIL says he's like a goldfish but Matt talks to him all the time and hasn't noticed anything.

ETA: FIL's niece did the LP

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 4

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

It’s not smoky outside, so I got the doors open. A mockingbird is singing her little heart out in the front yard. I love those birds.

Nothing notable going on today. Housework. I need to make a trip to the Afsa for groceries and party supplies.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I want a 😍 reaction for this. Newbie is fascinated by his hands right now. He moves them and stares at them like they are the most amazing things ever.

Hands are pretty amazing when you think about it. We just get too used to all the amazing things they can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pantz for DS have not been shipped yet. This is not helping the laundry situation.

We are Doing Things. I gave DH and DS hair cuts, DH has made ice cream, I took down one set of blinds and prepped the window and we're going to put the film on it, DH replaced the kitty litter, I vacuumed upstairs, and hopefully there will be a small appliance recycling drop-off. DS will wash his sheets and whatnot.

• Like 2

Oh, poop. I have to read TWTM middle school history chapter. Why did none of you remind me? And watch the lit dvds. Hmmm. I should make a list. School starts in a week!

So, Isaac has really been struggling with food lately and I went against doctors orders, followed my gut and put a little bit of rice cereal in his bottles and he's been much happier. We've been playing this game of trying to prevent him from starving to death while he tries to throw everything up and it wasn't fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dobby's Sock said:

DS always projectile vomitted when he was a baby - it decreased a little bit when I fed him the really thick, pre-made formula but almost completely stopped when I started feeding him real food at 3 months (when he got his first tooth).  I used to put Brinta in his formula (a dutch cereal).

That works better than powder but would be about $200/week and it doesn't work as well. He's definitely not ready for real food. I'm not even putting a real serving in, just enough so it stays down.

• Like 1

I went to the Afsa. That’s 2 and a half hours I will never get back. I hate that place. And it’s hot outside.and I am grumpy. But not as grumpy as I was when I got home because I was also hungry. But I am not hungry anymore. And I got the final supplies for DD’s birthday party next Saturday. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Stormy said:

Oh Spuds and Servie you both just made me 🥰 picturing that. 

Listen to Jean! Do not ask the lady whose Meal Plans consist of "Which restaurant have we not already been to this week?" 😂

Walmart. I cannot remember what it stands for- I had to ask too- something with Stress and Anxiety. And you are not allowed to die there. That is a rule. 

A Fortress of Stress and Anxiety. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I set up the kids school for the week.  It's not everything but more than easing back in.   I'm doing task boards for them so I have magnetic whiteboards on order for their rooms and more magentic cards to write tasks on.   I'm hoping it works better than our current method where they keep "forgetting" things. 

I wrote out the plans for dd's literature to the end of the book, ds's health to the end of the book, and a bunch of math for each of them.   I'm still working on history and geography. 

Tomorrow I get to go to my mom's to do laundry after dd and I work out.  yipee. 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I made a weekly schedule. Now I need to figure out what I need to do to get that weekly schedule accomplished.

28 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good!  Our older kids were eating cereal at six weeks.  It's what ya did back then.  We didn't put it in bottles, but I know lots who did.  Ds13 grabbed my pizza crust off my plate and gnawed it at 2 1/2 months 

Doctors will tell you not to do that because formula is the perfect combination. I am of the opinion that you are supposed to be breastfeeding and since your breast milk changes based on the pheromones that the baby puts out and the formula doesn't that it is Mom's responsibility to compensate for that. I have found myself more than once watering down a bottle in the summer when the baby was very clearly dehydrated and using cereal when the baby needed more thickness.

If anyone freaked out over the idea of my watering down a bottle, don't worry I only did it once in a blue moon when the baby was very obviously dehydrated.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, maize said:

Has anyone removed carpet from your stairs and just painted them?

I hate carpet and can't afford any expensive stair finishings.

I removed carpet from stairs.  It was an old house.  We pulled up the green shag to expose a pad that had disintegrated. That swept up and there was a horrible glue, old with age.  It took me months to remove/sand it all down.  But they looked beautiful once stained.

• Like 1

I want to watch Mulan. It's on Disney plus, I paid for Disney plus, I want to watch it, not pay additional fees.

12 minutes ago, maize said:

Has anyone removed carpet from your stairs and just painted them?

I hate carpet and can't afford any expensive stair finishings.

Not personally, but I know others and I would not. You have to sand them and sometimes they still look bad after that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Stormy said:

If it makes you feel any better, doctoring is as much art as science, as is mothering, and you are doing great. I assure you, the same doctors lambasting cereal now will probably be publishing opposing advice in 20 years. And so goes the cycle of life.

Also, if you could post a baby picture here soon, that would be great. Or Servie or Spuds or Bookie or mms or Dancer or anyone with a baby who is comfortable sharing!!!! Some of us like to see the babies and live vicariously. 🙂

20200922_200842.jpg

120174438_10218612076155577_4009040315112782731_o.jpg

20200923_205017.jpg

20200918_171459_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

Does anyone have a list of how many lessons there are in each one so I don't don't have to dig them out?

Sorry.  I'm sciencing.  I can't history at the same time...

Actually, I couldn't help you anyway.  I just left the books out and the kids read them (or not).  ...runs and hides...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To Do:

• Make booklists

• Mary Bible

• Mary Literature

• Mary Spanish

• Mary History

• John Bible

• John Literature

• John Spanish

• John History

• Prepare

• Art appreciation app

• Book basket

• Singing list

• Recitation list

• Bible

• History/Science

• Poetry

• Spelling

• Print

• Mary’s Math

• Mary's history

• John’s Math

• John's history

• Budget

• Mary’s Greek

• John's Greek

• John’s Japanese

• John’s Bible

• Mom Stuff

• TWSS

• TTC

• TWTM

I feel better now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

94, 105, 79, and 84. So I could do this in 2 and 3/4 years. I guess I will plan to do it every day and hope that it gets done in three years?

We are meandering through SOTW. I bought History Odyssey several years ago so that is what I am supplementing with, since my girls are a little old to just be doing SOTW. And I kind of throw in some stuff from the first edition of TWTM. I don’t plan anything. We just do. We outline from Kingfisher and read stuff from the Famous Men series and color pictures from Dover coloring books and make a timeline that is really weird looking. But it’s good. We just started Ancient Rome, so we are also reading an adaptation of the “Aneid”.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Lol!  Well.  Some of you are.

Oh!  You mentioned constipation.  We had one of those babies.  Baby oatmeal worked wonders, rather than rice cereal.

Isn't that an older kid thing? Can I do that?

42 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Ahhhhhh!  I need to lesson plan next week!!

What's the art appreciation app?

Daily Art. We have done it most school days for about 4 years and my kid can look at any piece of art and tell you which region and century it's from for the most part. It takes 5 minutes. Not very classical because we don't go deep, but dang it's a cool skill to have.

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We are meandering through SOTW. I bought History Odyssey several years ago so that is what I am supplementing with, since my girls are a little old to just be doing SOTW. And I kind of throw in some stuff from the first edition of TWTM. I don’t plan anything. We just do. We outline from Kingfisher and read stuff from the Famous Men series and color pictures from Dover coloring books and make a timeline that is really weird looking. But it’s good. We just started Ancient Rome, so we are also reading an adaptation of the “Aneid”.

My plan is to pick a bunch of books from the library and have them read them at their leisure and print out the Student Activity pages. I don't really care if the books line up perfectly and I'm just going to print out enough activity Pages at the beginning of a term and we will work our way through. I want to print out a timeline and put it on the wall and we will stick the cards on it.

8 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Lol!  Well.  Some of you are.

Oh!  You mentioned constipation.  We had one of those babies.  Baby oatmeal worked wonders, rather than rice cereal.

Yes.  One of mine had that issue and from then on I always skipped rice and went straight to oatmeal.  (But they were older than Isaac, fwiw.)

• Thanks 1