Menu

Ignore this thread!

Well, California has officially reached the status of he11. It’s extremely hot, you can see the air because of the wildfires.... sky is no longer blue and.... we have rolling blackouts because there isn’t enough Green energy to go around. So, they shut off electricity in various parts of the state during the hottest part of the day.

• Sad 3

Good morning!

Hope you got some sleep, Junie!  And a nap for you, Bookie!

Dh left with dd17 a few minutes ago to meet fellow tutorial seniors at a park to watch the sunrise and then go out for breakfast before tutorial.  I may or may not need to get dressed immediately to go pick her up because we are not yet sure if she is required to be dropped off at tutorial by a parent. I will need to bring ds15 to tutorial in an hour and a half and go grocery shopping and stop by UPS after that.

Puppy slept all night!  I wonder if it's because my bedroom door was shut.  I need pantz.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

I slept ok last night.  Woke up with a headache.  #notsurprised

I noticed a few days ago that a mouse had found my secret chocolate stash!  Dh set some traps and we caught a mouse last night.  We'll leave the chocolate and the traps out for a few more nights to make sure there aren't any more. 😞 

• Sad 4

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!

Hot!!☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥😩😩😩 and smoky!!!

School and work today!!! We have Riverlife tonight, but with the heat and air quality. I am not sure we are going to go.

• Sad 4

How did I miss two pages of posts?   Sorry, I skipped ahead.   I'm sure the conversation has moved on but I'm going to do my answer anyway.

Birthday cakes - we have a local grocery store - ShopRite - that makes amazingly tasty cakes.   Absolutely wonderful, better than a lot of bakeries.  We always get just their general cakes with writing on them, then I buy small toys for whatever theme the kids want and put them on the cake.  That way, it looks cool, is cheaper than the expensive decorating or the toys they bakery puts on that aren't then supposed to be played with, and they can play with them after.  For some reason I don't seem to have any pictures of these cakes on my computer.   We've done Minecraft, Pokemon, Five Nights at Freddy's, and tons of other themes.

• Like 3

Happy Thursday.   Had to get up early to drive dh to work since we dropped my car off to get tires.  Bunch of errands to run this afternoon before we go away for the weekend so ds gets out of walking during tkd after just one day.   This is why I find it so hard to get a routine going.  Life.   Life keeps getting in the way of my nice, neat routines.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

I swear to you I never ever regret moving. My family is trying to escape too - lifelong Californians. The snag has been that they also have the misfortune of owning small businesses that have physical customer bases, and thus aren’t transferable. There is pretty much zero upside to that state anymore 😩

We have been talking for years about moving, but 1) we aren’t sure where to go and 2) we are 3rd generation California’s with deep roots. While it’s easy to talk about picking up and leaving, ....  and it would have been a lot easier 30 years ago if we had been young, at the beginning of our careers and adventurous. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the headaches are hormonal.

My headaches have actually been better for the past year or so.

I had headaches nearly every.single.day for three years.  I am so glad that I've gotten through that.  I still get a lot of headaches, but nothing compared to those three years.  Those three years happened to be the only three years that I was homeschooling all six kids.  Coincidence?  Probably not.  They started about the time dd10 started kindergarten and got better when ds19 went to college.

And now that dd17 has graduated, I only have four students.  So hopefully we can get everybody caught up in math.  (FTR, migraines and math don't mix well.)

• Like 2

View from beside the garden this morning. 

I don't want to move. Imma stay here in my hole on the mountain until I die, if at all possible. 

It has its problems, naturally. But I just really like being surrounded by trees, mountains, and the summer sound of cicadas.

Also, my fingers are burning from working with a hot pepper today. Someone please remind me that this is a very good day to remember DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE! 😱

20200820_080539.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I don't want to move. Imma stay here in my hole on the mountain until I die, if at all possible. 

It has its problems, naturally. But I just really like being surrounded by trees, mountains, and the summer sound of cicadas.

Also, my fingers are burning from working with a hot pepper today. Someone please remind me that this is a very good day to remember DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE! 😱

20200820_080539.jpg

Rubbing alcohol can help to get it off of your hands. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We have been talking for years about moving, but 1) we aren’t sure where to go and 2) we are 3rd generation California’s with deep roots. While it’s easy to talk about picking up and leaving, ....  and it would have been a lot easier 30 years ago if we had been young, at the beginning of our careers and adventurous. 

1.  My neighborhood. 
2. Make this your "second home" so it doesn't seem like you've left CA, and then after 5 years you realize you don't miss it.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Good morning?

Congratulations, you made it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

20200820_080539.jpg

That’s it. I have decided to become neighbors with Critter.

oh, Wow!! I got a Booya/h for that. I guess that means it’s gonna happen. Lookout, Critter, here we come.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

1.  My neighborhood. 
2. Make this your "second home" so it doesn't seem like you've left CA, and then after 5 years you realize you don't miss it.

Congratulations, you made it!

Oh wow. Tennessee is really nice, too. I remember a camping trip in the Smokey Mountain National Park where it poured down rain and we woke up in the morning soaked with a puddle under our tent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Aaaaand now we are in the hospital with a split open head on my oldest son, and of course this happens when DH is out of town. I could have left the older girls babysitting but it’s late in the evening and who knows how long we will be here for. They’re guessing maybe two hours before we are seen. So yeah, called in emergency friend babysitters to get everyone in bed while we wait here.

Injury apparently happened while he and the oldest were smacking down a pile of dirt with sticks and she hit him on a down swing. Sigh.

Oldest DD still bugs us for not taking her to the doctor when DS accidentally brought a metal pipe down in her head. She was fine. Head wounds are always bleeders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I'd invite you here Krissi, but let's be honest- the weather blows. Literally. Looks like we might be getting another TS or Hurricane too, oh yay. 

Texas is on our short list, but.... it won’t happen. Maybe when we retire and DH doesn’t have to find a job and we won’t haVe Kids to move. It’ll be just us two again.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

They are, it’s so vascular. It’s a big enough split I couldn’t pull it together with a butterfly bandage (or make that stick to his hair) and no goose egg, so we are ruling out concussion and probably getting a handful of stitches, but oh well.

Hope they’re quick with the stitches and you’re home soon!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Oh wow. Tennessee is really nice, too. I remember a camping trip in the Smokey Mountain National Park where it poured down rain and we woke up in the morning soaked with a puddle under our tent.

Well there you have it - camping in the Southeast!  Though our puddle was actually inside our tent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Texas is on our short list, but.... it won’t happen. Maybe when we retire and DH doesn’t have to find a job and we won’t haVe Kids to move. It’ll be just us two again.

Maybe we can all travel around the country and stay at each ITTer's house for a couple weeks!  I mean, I really do want to go to California because there is a lot of beautiful to see out there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had Riverlife tonight. It is amazing. Five minutes away from my house, but it’s like a whole different world... peaceful river, huge cottonwoods and they strung lights between all the trees. It’s just magical. Riverlife is our church’s thing in the summer, every other week. We all bring our own dinner and sit out in lawn chairs and then there’s singing and a message. It’s really quite wonderful.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Maybe we can all travel around the country and stay at each ITTer's house for a couple weeks!  I mean, I really do want to go to California because there is a lot of beautiful to see out there!

You know, California is really unsurpassed in regards to natural beauty. Desert, the Sierras, the North Coast, redwoods, SoCal beaches. It really is beautiful. And for most of the year the weather is very pleasant. It’s the idiots that run the place that are bringing it down.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We had Riverlife tonight. It is amazing. Five minutes away from my house, but it’s like a whole different world... peaceful river, huge cottonwoods and they strung lights between all the trees. It’s just magical. Riverlife is our church’s thing in the summer, every other week. We all bring our own dinner and sit out in lawn chairs and then there’s singing and a message. It’s really quite wonderful.

Sounds wonderful!

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! 

That's all I've got.

That's enough for now.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D I tried new COFFEE!!!~D  this morning and forgot. It’s a much darker roast than my usual stuff. A bit of a shock.

Well, we have made it through 2/3 of summer. I feel like we have accomplished something. 
Not much going on today besides the usual. School and work. Air quality is horrible, so we won’t be going anywhere.

• Like 1

Good morning!

Hope Bagel Bite is doing OK this morning.

So much baby sleeping!  Puppy woke at 2:30 but settled down quickly by himself.  I took him out at 5:30 and then let him lounge in his "cordoned off area" and went back to sleep for a bit.  And then I had a dream that I wore a light tan bathing suit to drop off the kids at a tutorial which made me look naked and then while rushing to get ahold of the puppy and get back home to change, realized I hadn't fed the baby for days.  It was a relief to wake up and remember that I didn't have a baby to feed.

Normal day of lessons today.    

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morning.  We are leaving this afternoon for MIL's so crazy day.  Worked out with dd, then had to get gas in my car, come home and run the dryer for some clothes/masks, eat breakfast, get younger dd to do the dishes (which she did a half-a$$ job leaving a bunch out of the dishwasher and next person to do that is going to be doing the dishes for a week), I need to hand wash a few things, we packed our clothes, I have to take the dog to my mom's, look for dh's work key that he think he lost at my mom's, drop payment for my new tires at the shop, pack up what I'm planning to work on this weekend, and shower.   I really also should shave my legs since we might go to the beach but I don't think I'll have time and I don't think I really care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1