Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning.   I woke up before my alarm today but felt pretty rested so that was okay. 

I'm dragging the kids to the science center to work out at 10am, then I'm teaching Algebra (I think), dd has TKD at 4pm and yesterday I walked at a nearby park while dd was at TKD.  I'm going to try and do that during tkd every day at least when weather cooperates.  Which it may not today because it's all cloudy and gloomy and supposed to rain, but I'll try.  I think I'm going to drag ds there as well since he's not getting enough exercise.    

This weekend we are all going down to visit dh's mom.   The kids and I are staying just the weekend then coming home, dh is staying down until she has surgery on Tuesday.   it's ds's birthday Saturday but dh needs to be there for the surgery so that's the plan.  We may go to the beach.

I'm pretty sure the kids, at least dd, have done almost no schoolwork this week.  I'm trying to decide how far I want to them hang themselves.  

• Like 2

My school organization is -I set up school when I remember and have time, and we take breaks whenever we need them.  

It actually works pretty well and we get a lot done.  I tried a 6/1, a 5/1 and other combinations at times but then we always want to take off Thanksgiving, Christmas to New Years, then there's vacations, if anyone is sick, if we lose power, if there's a lot of appointments.   It's easier to just be a little looser with it.   Most of our schoolwork is "do the next thing" type of stuff, which helps. We go year round and don't take any long breaks since everyone seems to forget everything if we do. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Ha! Not the worst idea.

I’m also stuck right now trying to figure out if I should comfort my MIL this morning or pretend I didn’t hear that she lost her job. Is she the type who’d rather have commiseration or lick wounds in private? I’m not sure on this count.

I would send MIL a message -- email, text, whatever you use most -- to acknowledge it, but that will allow her to respond (or not) as she wishes.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!

HOT!!🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️😩😩😩

Day 2 of school.

When I started homeschooling I played around a lot with scheduling, but ended up defaulting to a traditional schedule. Mostly

because we used to live on a street with lots of kids and we were the only homeschoolers and the kids wanted to play with their friends. Now DD is in b&m school, and we are worth this charter so it just makes sense.

• Like 2

So this morning isn't going as I planned. Even though I woke them up at 8am, they are both back asleep.  It's a rainy, gloomy, dark day so that's not helping.  Ds was up late doing a tournament with friends so that didn't help.  We allow the tournaments, which are about twice a month, but I don't think he should just blow off the entire day when he has one either.    

We always get a little off track over the summer, even though we're still doing some school, but this year has been worse than usual. For obvious reasons.  

I have to go teach Algebra online so no workout this morning for them.  Dd will have TKD this afternoon and I may make ds walk with me even if it's raining. 

• Like 3

I think we were officially to start this week? Maybe? I don't remember. But I do have one ed-po thing to do today. My art teacher has to have cataract surgery in September, so it looks like I get to marshal the art classes for that month. She gave me my marching orders, LOL. But I still need to pull out the book and look at it and see how I want to evaluate the "class" and see how they are doing. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Good morning! It's the bday day Round 1. No school and they get to pick every meal on their bday, so we started off with Starbucks- I think I could drink a gallon of their iced caramel macchiatos, but I stuck with just a grande. And a breakfast sandwich. Lunch will be McDonald's and dinner Pizza Hut.  And then cake. After two weeks of this I'm going to need to go on a cleanse and a diet. And possibly new pantz. 

I have to pick up the cake at noon. I have no idea what to expect. The ordering process has been less than streamlined, but most of the local bakeries went out of business during all of this corona business, so there weren't many options. We will see what we see. I asked for it to serve about 15-ish, and they're charging me $95 so it's either going to be a rip off or enough cake for the next year........we had some communication difficulties. It is supposed to be a MineCraft TNT cake. We'll see what we end up with. 

I have to clean a bit this morning, but other than that I guess I just get to be lazy and eat a lot, lol. They are indulging in a day of screens after staying up until midnight last night and getting to camp out in the den. Corona bdays are only slightly better than hurricane bdays. I told them what an adventure to have experienced both and they aren't even to 10 yet. 

Sounds like we all need to head to TX to help eat a TX size cake!  Happy Nirthday!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

What kind of tournament?

It's some role-play game, I don't think it's really big and famous.  They play through Discord.   He plays with a group of friends that he used to play D&D with, they are a team playing against other teams.   Basically, they each make up a character that has some kind of powers.   Anything goes, except it has to follow logical rules and can't be too over powerful.  (Like one power was someone could turn anything into a cat that could then be directed to do things - so turn a bomb into a cat, tell it to go into another room and turn back into a bomb, or something like that). Then the people running the tournaments put out challenges.  One was to sell the most food from a food truck, but there are also more D&D type challenges like escaping from a castle or defeating something.   Each team submits their initial plan than reacts to what happens after that.   Then a winner is chosen by vote of all the players (not all players participate in all challenges at the same time, usually it's team versus team or 2 players versus 2 players or some variations of that).   It's all text based and virtual.

The tournaments go from 8pm one day to 8am (EST) the next day but once they submit their final plan, it's just waiting for voting.  He plays with people from all over so maybe some of the ones in different time zones handle the middle of the night stuff.   

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Mom Celebrating here: ASD BOY DID IT!!! He wrote a key word outline for the entire first SSS B-1 selection (2 whole paragraphs) AND told it back without tossing a caber! I could cry. Tomorrow he’s going to dictate it to me and likely will toss a caber.

And in nature study news, my kids watched 2 lizards mating on the schoolroom window screen. I missed getting a picture.

YAY!!!!  🎉🏆🎉🏆

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

More like the female was sitting on his lap.

Couple's yoga.

11 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

I AM POSITIVE I MISSED SOMETHING HERE!? 😧

His belly button fell out and we couldn't find it. I figured the dog ate it but hubby found it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm lodging a formal protest against the necessity of washing dishes.

And folding laundry.

Also, toilets should wash themselves.

Other than cast iron skillets we put everything in the dishwasher. I am unapologetic about this.

Quakers doesn't fold. I make my kids fold their own and when they're finished they do baby's. I only do adults.

Toilets should absolutely wash themselves. It's an absolute joke that they don't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Friends have come and gone- all adults and kids are now thoroughly saturated with various red dyes, lol. 

Now for round 2 with grandparents! 

I noticed all of the red dye!  Two of mine have a red #40 allergy, so we get our cakes from a bakery that only uses natural food colors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spudater said:

It's hard to tell with fluctuations but I think I lost a pound and a half this week.

Spudz is knocking it out of the park!

5 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh and here is the Minecraft item it is crafted on-  linking because I don't think I am allowed to post just the pic.....

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/TNT

Awesome cake!  Totally worth the splurge!

4 hours ago, Spudater said:

My kids are all addicted to Minecraft

I banned minecraft from the house because The Youngers could not stop fighting over it.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Couple's yoga.

His belly button fell out and we couldn't find it. I figured the dog ate it but hubby found it.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm lodging a formal protest against the necessity of washing dishes.

And folding laundry.

Also, toilets should wash themselves.

I envision something like a toilet car wash.  Why isn't this a thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chore chart is done!  I didn't put pet feeding into the schedule.  They can figure that one out.

We had gyros for dinner.  The meat was pre-cooked from GFS - and quite tasty.  I made the tzatziki sauce myself and it was pretty good, but feel I still haven't come across the perfect recipe yet.

Why am I out of chocolate?  (Oh wait - I just remembered the chocolate chocolate chip cranberry muffins in the freezer.  Happy dance!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Chore chart is done!  I didn't put pet feeding into the schedule.  They can figure that one out.

I didn't do this because the dog always notifies you when she hasn't been fed, but she learned how to notify everyone when they were the only person in the room and got fed up to four times the amount she was supposed to and got fat. Now it's on the cart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, maize said:

My oldest dd is also a sheep 🐑

I am supposed to be full of grace.  😂

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

My kids love instant oatmeal, but they aren't allowed to eat it because the smell of it makes me physically ill.

#oatallergy

The packets?  I'm not allergic, but those things make me nauseous too.  We only get them for camping trips.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

So earlier today I was reading the ITT and feeling very tired, so I decided to take my afternoon nap a little bit early.

Before I could stand up to go to bed, I realized that I was already in bed and that reading the ITT at that particular moment had been a dream.

Such a weird feeling...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2