Menu

Ignore this thread!

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Two nights now puppy has been quiet from 10/11pm to 5/6am.  Think we can make it 3 in a row?

No such luck.  But only because he somehow got out of his crate (I'm looking at you, peevish Fairy Folk!) and came snuffling into my room at 2am to find me, excitedly hoping for playtime.  Sigh.  He got potty time and then back into the crate.  

#pointsforfquotingself

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Good morning!

Dh thought he could Sneak into the bathroom and shave without puppy noticing he was up!  Silly.  The good thing is that now that dd22 is back at school, I am less concerned about puppy making noise and waking people up.

Ds25 and dh will be going to church this morning and the rest of us are doing big (or small) screen church.  We *could* take the van but then we would have to replace fuses again to get back home and I would rather not bother with that.  Dh wants to try to replace the blower motor at some point this week before giving up and taking it to the shop.

I plan to go to Gordon Food Service and buy some pre-made gyros meat.  I have tried making it myself with different seasoning recipes but it never turns out terribly well.  Gyros are on the Wednesday menu rotation this semester.  Hopefully ds will let me borrow his car.  Lol.  (I don't know why I still find this so funny. I am easily amused.)

Coffee!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Coming out of lurkdom to say that it was about whether  you had to put it back in the shopping corral or if you could leave it loose in the parking lot.  There were a lot of strong feelings about this on both sides. 

Now you need to tell us YOUR feelings on the matter so we can amuse Texan! Lol!

• Haha 1

Dd22 and I had Smoothie King for dinner last night.  I'd never been there before, but ordered a small Peanut Protein Plus Chocolate.   Ingredients were bananas, peanut butter, dates, milk, "protein blend", and cocoa.  Super yummy.

#nokingswereharmedinthemakingofthisdinner

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I wonder if you put a mastery math program and a spiral math program in the Rainbow Resource shopping cart at the same time, if a tornado forms somewhere? #ButterflyMathEffect

Pretty sure I can confirm nothing happens when you buy and use any number of math programs of various kinds... *running away smiley*

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think it came from beauty queens and cheerleaders. And the Junior League. It's definitely a thing though.

Sort of like Senator's wives' hairstyles- it's like stereotypical hair for different social sets. I think there's a manual when a spouse gets elected to political office you have to have helmety hair. 

This is why my husband can never be a senator. My hair does not do helmet.

Frizzy and big it does happily. Maybe I need to move back to Texas?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

When the icecream tuck came down our street the kids would always get a lecture on how much icecream they could get at the Afsa for how much they were paying for one icecream from the icecream man. They didn’t care.🤣

Mine did.  I used to talk about how dirty and gross those trucks were and how much more you’d get from the store.  (Plus food allergies.)  We’d sit at the park and watch all the crazies line up and spend a half hour to an hour of playtime to stand and wait, then more time to eat, and then when we got home, if he hadn’t forgotten, I’d give him ice cream.  He never seemed to mind waiting until we got home because at the park he’d rather be climbing.  I wonder if would have been different without his food allergies.  Or if the truck had come around our neighborhood.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Coming out of lurkdom to say that it was about whether  you had to put it back in the shopping corral or if you could leave it loose in the parking lot.  There were a lot of strong feelings about this on both sides. 

Hi Jean!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I like the boxed kind and I like the homemade  kind baked with Toasted bread crumbs on top. And I love Panera Mac & cheese.

My kids like the boxed kind and think I make it best (I throw in the butter and too much milk), but dd also really likes the Panera M&C.   I like Panera's broccoli cheddar soup, and their steak & cheese panini.  And their smoothies.  And their pastries.  I used to go whenever dd was at TKD but since it's hot and humid and we have no indoor dining, I haven't gone in a while.  

54 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I concur!

I forgot what this was concurring with so now I don't know why I quoted it.  Whatever it was, I concur also!

40 minutes ago, maize said:

Does anyone ever want to just throw out every single darn item in the house and start fresh?  I'm so tired of taking care of all the stuff and don't have the brainpower to sort through and declutter stuff.

Often.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remembered what I was concurring with - multiple math programs.  We've always done multiples and still do.  One mastery and one spiral review, supplements, games.  I think the most we actually did was 5 - Math Mammoth, Beast Academy, Scholastic Algebra Readiness, Evan Moor Daily Word Problems, and Logic Puzzles.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, maize said:

Does anyone ever want to just throw out every single darn item in the house and start fresh?  I'm so tired of taking care of all the stuff and don't have the brainpower to sort through and declutter stuff.

Yep. Just like the ancient Indians in Northern California. They’d just burn down their lodgings and start over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

I remembered what I was concurring with - multiple math programs.  We've always done multiples and still do.  One mastery and one spiral review, supplements, games.  I think the most we actually did was 5 - Math Mammoth, Beast Academy, Scholastic Algebra Readiness, Evan Moor Daily Word Problems, and Logic Puzzles.

Svengo.

We’ve done several, but only one at a time. We do supplement with flash cards and speed drills.

• Like 1

DH wants to do tv church today. Our church meets outdoors, though we do have a big shade thingie over us, and it’ supposed to be 97 degrees by the time the service is over at 10:00. I have had it with this weather. I’m heading for my cabin in Patagonia. It’s supposed to be 53 degrees there today.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

DH wants to do tv church today. Our church meets outdoors, though we do have a big shade thingie over us, and it’ supposed to be 97 degrees by the time the service is over at 10:00. I have had it with this weather. I’m heading for my cabin in Patagonia. It’s supposed to be 53 degrees there today.

I'll join you in Patagonia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been looking at my sister's photos of their new home, so clean and uncluttered. I'm not jealous of what got them to where they are--they were literally turned into homeless refugees by covid, the country they had been living in closed its borders to non-citizens while they were away on vacation and they couldn't go back. They had whatever clothes were in their suitcases and that was it.

So they are truly starting over from scratch.

But wow what a nice, minimalist house they have now!

Edited by maize
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

DH has a new toy.  It’s an electric power washer.  No gas smell, plus the engine turns off when you release the handle, so it’s not constantly running when you take a break or are moving things around.  And it is not as loud as our neighbor’s. The pool pavers are looking good!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Yep. Just like the ancient Indians in Northern California. They’d just burn down their lodgings and start over.

Sounds like a good plan if it wouldn't probably traumatize the kids. 

56 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You did them all at the same time?!?! Can you come to my house for a few weeks? 

Yes, but not all every day.    We kind of rotated through the supplements and did just Math Mammoth and Beast Academy every day.  This was for ds who is gifted in math.   Right now he's doing Jacob's Geometry and MUS Algebra 2.

Dd on the other hand needs very frequent review or she forgets things.  She's doing Key to Algebra,  Real World Algebra, and a Math Mammoth daily review set.  

• Like 3

Morning. I'm moving around slowly, planning the week. I will be done with revisions by the end of today, and I really need to tackle revision house. And a match is looking good, but it's way too warm for bonfires.

Not as warm as it is for Krissi. I don't think we are supposed to break 95 this week. Extremely rare good weather for August. I think we might have some mornings in the 60s.

I don't really want to burn the house with a match. I just want to know where everything is when I can't see it. I'm one of those weirdos who actually function better when there's clutter, mostly because I can immediately see what I need. Whenever I clean up, I spend the next week trying to find things and getting grumpy about it. My fate to be in a home where the other members of the family function better when the spaces are open and everything is in its place. Grrr.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maize said:

YES!  I'm especially tired of people not dealing with their own belongings!  And not knowing where things are - things that are not my responsibility - and sometimes buying multiple things just because they can't find stuff.  🙄   😡   Also, some people won't or can't look at an established visual pattern of organization and follow it when putting like items away.  Drives me nuts.   

1 hour ago, maize said:

I've been looking at my sister's photos of their new home, so clean and uncluttered. I'm not jealous of what got them to where they are--they were literally turned into homeless refugees by covid, the country they had been living in closed its borders to non-citizens while they were away on vacation and they couldn't go back. They had whatever clothes were in their suitcases and that was it.

So they are truly starting over from scratch.

But wow what a nice, minimalist house they have now!

WOW!  (Maize's sister)  So, what became of their old belongings?  Was someone able to send them any of the personal belongings?  What about photographs - were they all digital?  I'm sorry they had to go through that! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

You know what? I think really open organization might work for me. Cabinets without doors, shelves that are really spacious that I can label, things like that. My closet became so much easier for me to keep neat when I took the doors off.

I would like some of this as well.  I prefer shelves over dressers for clothes.  If we ever re-do the kitchen, I'd like a walk in pantry with open shelving instead of lots of cabinetry.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

YES!  I'm especially tired of people not dealing with their own belongings!  And not knowing where things are - things that are not my responsibility - and sometimes buying multiple things just because they can't find stuff.  🙄   😡   Also, some people won't or can't look at an established visual pattern of organization and follow it when putting like items away.  Drives me nuts.   

The Struggle is REAL!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I am thinking of renewing my old subscription to Homeschool Planet. 😕

I can't fit everything into my Erin Condren anymore but I really do better as a paper person. But so many plates in the air with these kids all of a sudden. 

You can set HP to email you a weekly schedule and print it (says the person who decided this spring that HP isn't worth the money any more...).

• Like 2

My house is not what anyone would consider organized but we do have a lot of open shelving for books and stuff.   I mostly know where things are most of the time.

We had to empty out our living room to put in the new floors.   At the same time, I rented a storage unit for the science center so I could get some stuff out and space students better when we open back up.  So somethings from the house went to the storage unit (things we wouldn't need for a while), some went to the science center temporarily (things that would come back as soon as the floors were in).   I've been slowly bringing stuff back, just those things we really need and have a spot for, in an attempt to not have too much crap everywhere.   

But I haven't been able to find some of my special knick-knacks.  I have a set of Lenox Winnie the Pooh stuff from when ds was born.   

It wasn't at the science center - that got really cleaned up and organized because I had an open house.

I couldn't find it at the storage unit and I was there today arranging some things better since it's finally not a million degrees out (climate controlled, my a$$).  Still no sign of them and pretty clear they weren't there.

I looked in dd's room.  Nothing.

I couldn't find them anywhere.   Until........

I peeked under my dining room table (that is covered in crap, we never eat at it, it's a small 4 foot folding table) and there they are.  In a bin.  Under the table.  Here the entire time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

WOW!  (Maize's sister)  So, what became of their old belongings?  Was someone able to send them any of the personal belongings?  What about photographs - were they all digital?  I'm sorry they had to go through that! 

As far as I know things are still kind of in limbo. The apartment is managed by their (now former) employer; I believe it was just locked up for months.

I think they will be able to get a few things shipped by friends, it is probably not worth the cost of shipping much. But hopefully mementos? I do think they have digital copies of any photos they had there, they are young enough that digital has been a thing for their entire adult lives and older photos and such they mostly left behind when they moved overseas--another sister has been storing a few boxes for them but they are on opposite ends of the country so I think those are staying in storage for a bit longer. 

They had been living where they were for ten years so it was a huge transition. Really I think it will eventually work out for the best, though they don't have stable employment yet (NOT a good year to suddenly have to find new jobs in a different country!) They had savings though and have bought a home near my parents (after living with them for six months) which will be a good thing for everyone,--I had worried about my parents aging with none of their children within 1000 miles.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

YES!  I'm especially tired of people not dealing with their own belongings!  And not knowing where things are - things that are not my responsibility - and sometimes buying multiple things just because they can't find stuff.  🙄   😡   Also, some people won't or can't look at an established visual pattern of organization and follow it when putting like items away.  Drives    me nuts.      

Preach it, Sister!,! Hallelujah!!!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We don’t have sweet tea in California. We sweeten our tea, but I don’t think it’s the same.

Dh always asks for unsweetened iced tea, and sometimes gets confused looks.

27 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I just heard TS yell at ds, "school starts TOMORROW, we have to have fun NOW"

Ha!  Get it in while you can!

At lunch today, dd14 said she thinks she learned so much in her first week of school that she's ready for summer break now. Lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

This is how it was growing up in the South. Then I moved North. At the first restaurant we went to, I ordered tea and they brought it out unsweetened. Next time, I was prepared for this. Or so I thought. I asked for sweet tea. They brought me unsweetened tea and a packet of sugar. 😝

That’s what you’d get here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1