Menu

What's with the ads?

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Paradox, I tried to message you earlier about CLE math but it was my first time so it might be lost in cyberspace.

I got it but haven’t replied yet. I’m sorry!

I can't think of a quippy Booya so it's a generic Booya!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Um. No. Am I a wierdo because I do not in a single book of booklists sorted in any kind of order. Just an Amazon wish list full of possibilities.

I was mostly being facetious in my post, but a big reason I collect good, vetted book lists is because my local library is small. It's part of a larger network of libraries that actually has a decent selection, made even wider by inter library loan programs, but if I left our reading up to the local branch only, we would he in desolate territory indeed. So I order online a lot, and I rely on my written notes for repeat reading when the next kid comes of age for certain books. I believe strongly in providing a wide array of *good* books. My kids get to pick for themselves when we do visit the library, and we have our fair share of  "junky" kid books come through the house (hey, reading is reading, after all, at least to a certain extent), but I like to have a modicum of control over the majority of their reading while their tastes are forming. I also have trouble "assigning" reading at their ages. Reading should be a fun and blissful experience!

• Like 4

Question: how do the little blue icons work? Pretty sure they mean flag and share but I've never used either one. What happens? Will my phone suddenly be taken over, or worse, self-destroy?!

37 minutes ago, Renai said:

That's what we used. They are paperback and can be written in. At least, that's what my daughter did.

She wrote in the text or worksheets book? I haven't tried Saxon but I've seen it a couple times and have friends who love it. At some point, I remember telling myself it's way too expensive. Then you posted a link and I just looked and it's actually cheaper than what I'm using by about $10.

35 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

She wrote in the text or worksheets book? I haven't tried Saxon but I've seen it a couple times and have friends who love it. At some point, I remember telling myself it's way too expensive. Then you posted a link and I just looked and it's actually cheaper than what I'm using by about $10.

It's a worktext. It has all the teaching and problems in it, and she wrote in it. Unless it's changed since she used it, which is possible, since it was about 6 years ago. I don't remember a worksheets book. 

Nope. Just looked at the samples. 3rd edition, paperback worktext. She wrote in it.

• Like 2

I just read one of the questions at the bottom of the reviews for Saxon, about whether the book is nonconsumable. The answer was it was to be nonconsumable, but many have students write in the book. That's what we did. It would have been impossible to 1) have my highly dyslexic daughter copying problems, and 2) have a paperback text survive a year of use and be resold anyway, so why not?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For Saxon we write in it because I'd rather spend the money than his energy. Too much copying.

• Like 5

I made tacos. We ate tacos. I have heartburn, but it was worth it.

I no longer want mac n cheese. Now I want chocolate cake, with a side order of brownie fudge sundae, and butterscotch cheese cake bites for dessert.

I should NOT peruse allrecipes' dessert section while pregnant.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Eww! No. I'm making fish enchiladas.

Ew, says the woman making fish enchiladas?!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, maize said:

Do you visualize everything in your head when you write?

Yes. Plays like a movie the whole time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Our Art Hike today was absolutely delightful. I wish I could figure out how to get pictures from my phone to the iPad.  It was in the foothills and there were 10 kids and they all had easels and the teacher showed them how to paint the mountain and the weather was perfect and the sky was blue with clouds and all the colors around us were just gold and dark greens and yellows and browns. It was really quite magical. And we got visited by a cow and her twin calves. The girls had a great time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I made tacos. We ate tacos. I have heartburn, but it was worth it.

I no longer want mac n cheese. Now I want chocolate cake, with a side order of brownie fudge sundae, and butterscotch cheese cake bites for dessert.

I should NOT peruse allrecipes' dessert section while pregnant.

I have chocolate cake! Want the recipe? It is my great-great-great (so many greats) grandmother's recipe.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Yes. Plays like a movie the whole time.

This is what it is like for me when I read.

• Thanks 2

I'm hungry but I had leftover lentil chili (and chocolate cake) for lunch. I do not eat chicken patties and tater tots. Scotsman is going to go out in a bit to get me a dinner. What do I want? We have lots of places around here. I can eat almost any cusine except Asian. I like it, but it makes me sick. Hmm...

I made chicken salad for lunches and enchiladas for dinner. My back hurts so bad. Matt's cleaning up now.

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Ew, says the woman making fish enchiladas?!

I'm trying to make fish Babiness will eat.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Gram's Pennslyvania Dutch Chocolate Cake (sounds impressive, huh?)

In a small pot, heat while stirring until boiling and allow to cool:

4oz UNSWEETENED baker's chocolate

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 cup milk (whole or 2%)

While cooling, in a medium bowl beat until blended:

1 stick softened butter

Add and beat until combined:

1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%)

2 eggs

1 tsp. REAL vanilla extract (none of that fake stuff!)

1 tsp. baking SODA

Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, then beat in 2 cups all-purpose flour

Pour into a non-stick sprayed 9x13 pan. Give the pan a shake and shimmy to release some air bubbles. Bake at 350 about 20-25 mins. or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake! A little underdone is better than overdone! Allow to cool on a wire rack. This cake forms its own "frosting" but you can dust the top with powdered sugar, if you like. Makes a wonderful sundae base when topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce. Even the crumbs are yum!

I've made this cake dairy and gluten free. Still is wonderful.

butter: use palm shortening

milk: use almond, soy, or coconut (rice milk is too watery)

flour: I used the mix from Cooking for Isaiah by SIlvana Nordone

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

I made chicken salad for lunches and enchiladas for dinner. My back hurts so bad. Matt's cleaning up now.

I'm trying to make fish Babiness will eat.

Did he eat it?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I have chocolate cake! Want the recipe? It is my great-great-great (so many greats) grandmother's recipe.

Thank you! I'm going to try this out this weekend.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Gram's Pennslyvania Dutch Chocolate Cake (sounds impressive, huh?)

In a small pot, heat while stirring until boiling and allow to cool:

4oz UNSWEETENED baker's chocolate

1 cup milk (whole or 2%)

While cooling, in a medium bowl beat until blended:

1 stick softened butter

Add and beat until combined:

1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%)

2 eggs

1 tsp. REAL vanilla extract (none of that fake stuff!)

1 tsp. baking SODA

Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, then beat in 2 cups all-purpose flour

Pour into a non-stick sprayed 9x13 pan. Give the pan a shake and shimmy to release some air bubbles. Bake at 350 about 20-25 mins. or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake! A little underdone is better than overdone! Allow to cool on a wire rack. This cake forms its own "frosting" but you can dust the top with powdered sugar, if you like. Makes a wonderful sundae base when topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce. Even the crumbs are yum!

I've made this cake dairy and gluten free. Still is wonderful.

butter: use palm shortening

milk: use almond, soy, or coconut (rice milk is too watery)

flour: I used the mix from Cooking for Isaiah by SIlvana Nordone

This is officially in the ITT cookbook. Has anybody else been keeping up with this when I was absent?...

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This is what it is like for me when I read.

Not me.

My brain isn't good at visualizing unless I am dreaming.

When you read, do you say/hear each word in your head or do you kind of lose conscious track of the words and become mostly aware of the movie?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Did he eat it?

Nope. He didn't even see the fish and the texture hit him and he gagged. I feel bad.

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

Nope. He didn't even see the fish and the texture hit him and he gagged. I feel bad.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking texture...

16 minutes ago, maize said:

Not me.

My brain isn't good at visualizing unless I am dreaming.

When you read, do you say/hear each word in your head or do you kind of lose conscious track of the words and become mostly aware of the movie?

I hear the words and see the movie.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

Any food I don't like, it is due to texture.   Well, except cilantro and quinoa.

Edited by myblessings4

But it's important to me that he eats fish. I did a thread like a week ago and have some ideas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

But it's important to me that he eats fish. I did a thread like a week ago and have some ideas.

If it's about Omega 3's have you tried fish oil capsules?

It's crazy I know but they were a favorite treat for one of my toddlers...

• Like 1

Just now, maize said:

Ped said no.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I hear the words and see the movie.

Same.

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

We've covered this already: sometimes, it's not about you...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

I need a copy!

It's in the ITT archive I posted before. Bookmark it! It's important!

• Thanks 2

Baked ziti and salad for dinner.

I had mostly salad.  And half of a hard apple cider.  I'd really like some of that PA Dutch cake for dessert.  My favorite homemade brownies are PA Dutch, so I'm excited to try the cake recipe.  Thanks, Paradox!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

Fish sticks or breaded and fried like chicken tenders might work. What type of fish? Some taste stronger. Also, small fish taste better to me (different texture I think), not those big mammoth size slabs big enough to be a steak. I hope you find something that works.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maize said:

Random thought.  I am one of those people who can taste the fish oil in omega 3 eggs. At least, this is true when I'm pregnant.  It was produced such a disgusting omelet that I haven't tried it yet unpregnant.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Ped said no.

Did the Ped share their thinking?

Edited by maize
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Fish sticks or breaded and fried like chicken tenders might work. What type of fish? Some taste stronger. Also, small fish taste better to me (different texture I think), not those big mammoth size slabs big enough to be a steak. I hope you find something that works.

He won't do polluck, salmon and catfish under the right circumstances, loves tuna. So tuna sammiches and fried catfish.

5 minutes ago, maize said:

Did the Ped share their training?

I didn't think to ask at the time.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

He won't do polluck, salmon and catfish under the right circumstances, loves tuna. So tuna sammiches and fried catfish.

I didn't think to ask at the time.

Polluck has a soft texture, the others are more firm, and have a stronger taste. That's a start. He may also like cod and/or shrimp.

You know, there's something about the taste of polluck that I don't like either, and I LIKE fish. 

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

Polluck has a soft texture, the others are more firm, and have a stronger taste. That's a start. He may also like cod and/or shrimp.

You know, there's something about the taste of polluck that I don't like either, and I LIKE fish. 

It's cheap. Catshish is cheap here too though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's cheap. Catshish is cheap here too though.

Yeah, there's almost a metallic taste to it (polluck). I don't know what it is, pero no me cae bien.

In our house, it's mostly catfish and cod. Dh will only eat salmon as salmon patties (canned salmon). He'll eat shrimp en coktel. (cocktail). Gymnast and I like shrimp, so we'll do lunch with it when dh isn't around.

ETA: also tuna. We eat tuna.

Edited by Renai
added info
  • Like 3