Menu

Ignore this thread!

23 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Really? When I lived on the west coast, it was neither. They mixed in fruit flavors! I was there when Snapple became a thing and the east coast hadn't even heard of it yet.

Some restaurants still do the raspberry iced tea thing. I prefer sodas at restaurants. 

• Like 1

I've read more than once that it's considered racist for a white person to touch an AA's hair. Is this a common thought? I totally did that in kindergarten because my best friend was black and her hair was the bomb. I wouldn't even think it racist for an adult to do the same thing, just rude to request to touch another person.

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've never heard of this. Would be good to know the answer, though.

Especially after the plague is over, we've completely forgot how to interact with other human beings, and we walk around touching everyone's hair.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

I've read more than once that it's considered racist for a white person to touch an AA's hair. Is this a common thought? I totally did that in kindergarten because my best friend was black and her hair was the bomb. I wouldn't even think it racist for an adult to do the same thing, just rude to request to touch another person.

Yes, I have heard that it is racist.  It is considered "othering" -- making the other person feel like an object.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I may have discovered some Samoan cousins in today's DNA genealogy adventures. We've known for decades that there is a large extended family in Samoa descended from a European with one of my family names (not a particularly common name) and his Samoan wife. But we've never been able to figure out if they are related to my family line. I was searching through my grandpa's DNA matches today and came across a descendant of that Samoan family. Every other name on this fellow's family tree was Samoan, there was just that one European line and grandpa doesn't have any Samoan ancestors so that European fellow with the same last name as grandpa is the probable connection.

My grandpa spent decades researching his family history, he would have been absolutely delighted to learn about Samoan cousins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Re: Hamilton

I guess I thought of it in the same way Shakespeare is often done in modern or other settings/time periods.  Artistic license and wanting people to see the story in a little bit of a different light, so to speak.  I don't think anyone is trying to rewrite history in this case.  Mind you, I have never seen Hamilton. But I have played "You'll Be Back" on the ukulele, lol. 😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Apparently, I must also remember to make sure the air conditioner is not on before turning the key.  😂 Poor van is getting so particular in it's old age!

Our Pilot is doing something weird ever since dh left a light on and the battery went dead.   We go to turn it on and sometimes it doesn't turn over or does it super slowly.  But when it doesn't turn over, if you bring it back to the middle/neutral position, the car will start on it's own.    We're bringing it to the dealer soon to get checked out.    We've been turning everything off when we get out in hopes it helps but I can't really say what helps and what doesn't.  Seems kind of random for now.  

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Some restaurants still do the raspberry iced tea thing. I prefer sodas at restaurants. 

A lot of places around here do a raspberry or peach iced tea, but it's not Snapple, it's "home" made and sometimes unsweetened.

• Like 2

Happy Monday.   Woke the kids up at 8am today and they have until 9am to wake up and get ready then we're taking a walk around the neighborhood, then doing some more working out.   Both knew about it and both gave me identical "WHAT?!?!" when I told them this morning.    We need to get into a better routine, my classes start up again in 4 weeks and we are so not ready.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Okay, serious question. I started watching Hamilton yesterday, and someone close to me said they find it offensive because they made it a racial and political thing (PoC vs. white) because all of the American revolutionaries are played by people of color and the only white person plays King George, and they made him look ridiculous. This person also said they think it's the same attitude and worldview that has people pulling down historical statues and defacing monuments, and that they're trying to rewrite history.

Is this a thing? Has anyone heard this kind of criticism of Hamilton before? I can understand not liking the music or whatever, but this particular litany of offenses was surprising to me.

Boy, would they be ticked at the way Shakespeare staged his plays... people of every nationality and both genders played by the same dozen Englishmen! 🤨

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Hugs, I’m sorry! That’s one of my major life frustrations, I get it. Hot drinks and maybe a nap in the afternoon once you get the day tackled, maybe?

But that would require I tackle the day. Whinnnnnnnnne!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Hahaha! It makes my smile every time someone calls me Bagels, though 😅 Sorry for the confusion, I needed to randomize my online profiles a bit and wanted a change since I’ve been subarctic for, um. Three years?  Wow, time flies. I’m still ArcticMama in spirit, just not screen name 🙂

I purposely didn’t change my avatar or nobody would ever find me again!

It makes me nuts when people change both. You have 50K posts, know who everyone is and I have no idea who you are. Fix it.

Like the dancing bacon lady. She's a ninja.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't know what keto is. Clearly a diet in some form. I don't do diets. I do, however, control ingredients due to food allergies/sensitivities so most of the food we eat is homemade and eating out is rare.

Keto is a diet so low in carbs the body is required to run on fat. I suggested fathead bagel because it is a bagel made out of cheese. The diet was designed for seizure patients but has become a weight loss fad.

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

ASD Boy blew a gasket about listening to Mr Pudwea. I don’t know this method well enough to teach it to him. Think I need another option for him.

What if you back off for now, give him time to get used to the idea and tell him you're starting IEW with the videos a week from today, so he has one week to get over it?  Just a thought.  Other idea is you watch the videos (HEY! Next time you need a movie for little ones to fall asleep to - they'll either fall asleep quickly or learn to write - total bonus!), so, you watch the videos and then teach him because you'll be comfortable with it.  Just throwing some ideas out there because I know you've worked hard to find something and going back to square one is no fun.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Why doesn't Isaac have any of the common plagues that all my newborns get? Peeling skin, baby acne, cradle cap? He's absolutely gorgeous! From about 2-6 weeks old, mine get em all back to back and overlapping. Peeling skin is done, baby acne is almost gone, no sign of cradle cap yet but both of my others got it so I'm on the lookout.

Too young. Give him a few weeks.