Menu

Ignore this thread!

14 hours ago, maize said:

I got started with painting a bedroom wall with chalkboard paint today.

Lest anyone be impressed by this accomplishment, you should know that it has been three full months since I bought the chalkboard paint AND moved the furniture to the middle of the room in preparation for painting. The project has been stalled at that point every since, with the room becoming the favorite dumping place for All Junk because of course it isn't set up for any more practical use with all the furniture jumbled in the middle.

🤣 This is my life.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

This is why I go by how something fits and not the size on the tag for girl’s clothes especially.

I admire you and all my friends who do this.  Alas, it requires reality shopping, which I'm allergic to (virtual shopping only for me).  And  it requires more maintenance and more oversight, both of which I suck at.   You're 9? Well, you're size 9, then.  The adorable size 8 shirt with Super Mouse on it is your sister's, NOT YOURS.  End of Discussion.

I also don't fold.  <slinks away>

• Like 2

Bloodsugars have adjusted to lowering my diabetic meds (initially went up a bit) and are now "perfect" again.  Might need to lower (ie. totally get off the meds) if this continues to trend downwards, which would be beautiful.  Now if all this hard work and progress would also translate into actually losing weight, I would be even happier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

IEW question: is the purpose of the KWO to aide in summarizing the passage or to rewrite it as close as possible to the original?

Yep, EdPo.

IMHO, the KWO is to help the student remember the facts from the passage to take the guess work out of "what" he is writing about since that is a struggle for many writers.  It takes away "blank page" syndrome.  I think the IEW models are purposely not the best example of great writing and therefore you wouldn't necessarily want to mimic the exact wording of the original passage.  I think that's on purpose so that as the students learn the various dress ups they realize how much they are improving the writing.  This is all in theory of course.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I ate my stupid salad.  Actually, it was tasty.  Mixed baby greens with grape tomatoes, grilled chicken, and blue cheese dressing.

Dinner is sweet potato coconut curry with jasmine rice.

The day we flew home from San Francisco, the only thing I could find for dinner that was gluten free was a salad.

I decided to skip it and eat some potato chips that I had with me.

After a week in California, I just couldn't eat one.more.salad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I ate my stupid salad.  Actually, it was tasty.  Mixed baby greens with grape tomatoes, grilled chicken, and blue cheese dressing.

I ate my stupid tasty salad too:  mixed greens, shredded chicken, cranberries and pecans with a poppyseed dressing. And a square of dark chocolate for dessert. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

I pretty much live on salad.

🐰

I don't like salads as much as I used to because with my 300 calorie limit per meal I can't Load them up with All the tasty things. 

I'm glad avocado season is almost here.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I admire you and all my friends who do this.  Alas, it requires reality shopping, which I'm allergic to (virtual shopping only for me).  And  it requires more maintenance and more oversight, both of which I suck at.   You're 9? Well, you're size 9, then.  The adorable size 8 shirt with Super Mouse on it is your sister's, NOT YOURS.  End of Discussion.

I also don't fold.  <slinks away>

Oh my word, we could be twins.  This is how I buy my girls clothes.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I joined Weight Watchers.  Today is my first day. My lunch is black bean soup and grapes. I actually love this recipe and it is 0 points, so there you go. I can feel the weight just dropping off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I had salad for lunch today.  And yesterday.  And probably tomorrow and Friday.  I wanted to switch up from the brown rice and salmon.  Which, BTW, I just looked up the calories for and OMG, brown rice is FULL of calories.  

My salad was boring.  Package mixed baby greens, shredded carrots, crunchy chinese noodles, sesame ginger dressing.  I basically stopped at the store on my way to the science center yesterday and brought everything, including four large containers so I could make up my salads once a week and have them ready.  I wanted hard boiled eggs too but never had time to make them at home and I felt too guilty to buy pre-boiled eggs at the grocery store.   Oh and cheese.  My salads have some lovely Kerry Gold cheese.  

• Like 5

So back when MIL was in the hospital and then rehab, dh had her mail forwarded to our house so he could keep up on her bills and stuff.   (she lives 2 1/2 - 3 hours away).  Now that she's home and doing well, he went to the post office down there to unforward her mail.  Instead they evidently started forwarding ALL OUR MAIL to MIL.  We haven't gotten mail in over a week and now my Amazon packages are going from "delivering today by 9:30pm" to "package delayed, forwarded at request of customer".   But dh went online and stopped the forwarding of our mail so we should be getting our mail again.   Parts for the kids Halloween costumes and stuff I NEED for classes are going down to MIL's house.  And I don't think dh is planning to go down this weekend.    And I don't really want him to but I WANT MY PACKAGES.  <<tantrum>>>

• Sad 8

13 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

So back when MIL was in the hospital and then rehab, dh had her mail forwarded to our house so he could keep up on her bills and stuff.   (she lives 2 1/2 - 3 hours away).  Now that she's home and doing well, he went to the post office down there to unforward her mail.  Instead they evidently started forwarding ALL OUR MAIL to MIL.  We haven't gotten mail in over a week and now my Amazon packages are going from "delivering today by 9:30pm" to "package delayed, forwarded at request of customer".   But dh went online and stopped the forwarding of our mail so we should be getting our mail again.   Parts for the kids Halloween costumes and stuff I NEED for classes are going down to MIL's house.  And I don't think dh is planning to go down this weekend.    And I don't really want him to but I WANT MY PACKAGES.  <<tantrum>>>

:angry:

• Like 3

I've missed y'all!

Another day done. We had school. Then I had to go to dr. for a stupid UTI. At least he gave me refills on the antibiotics. So yay for that.

And guess what? You will never guess. Ds24 has bought a house, got married and had a baby girl.....Delaney Elizabeth. She was 2 months old on the 6th.  So they came over tonight and wanted strawberry pie with whipped cream. I really didn't feel like it since it hasn't been long enough for the antibiotics to help, but I did make the pie and whipped cream.

Now I am tuckered out. Imma bed.

sweet dreams

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Weather forecast is predicting a hard freeze for tonight, record low temperatures for this time of year.

Which means we spent the afternoon and evening scrambling to get stuff harvested and inside. Ds14 and I were out with flashlights at about 9:30, feeling good because we were just about done with the apples and grapes. Then we remembered we had forgotten about the plums. There are lots of plums this year.

We brought in what we could, I figure if the rest freeze I can probably still collect them tomorrow and make them into plum sauce or jam or something. I can't worry about any more tonight.

My kitchen is full of boxes and bags and buckets and pots with apples and pears and grapes and plums. I brought a few lingering tomato vines in and hung them upside down from the boys' bunkbed. Pulled up the hot pepper plants and brought those in too. Just remembered my dragon fruit--I'm gonna have to put my coat on and bring that in as soon as I get ds2 to sleep.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

But is the kid supposed to summarize aka write a narration of the passage or write it back as close as possible (good writing or not)? I'm sorry. I am dumb. I cannot get it. Maybe I am tired from kids being in my bed watching movies until 2 a.m. for weeks straight cause none of us sleep well when Scotsman is not here. 

Is he wanting to write it without the KWO?  I think it's okay to think of it as a narration - but not a summary.  You want it to be approximately the same length as the model with most of the same information (though it's okay if he doesn't include every single fact).  Again, this is jmho.  Or from the other point of view - it should be similar to the model, but in the student's own words and I would say not as close as possible to the original.  But if someone else were going to outline both passages, the two outlines would look very similar.  Does that help?  

ETA:  I am not a trained IEW instructor, nor have I played one on TV.  🤣

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Openhearted said:

I've missed y'all!

Another day done. We had school. Then I had to go to dr. for a stupid UTI. At least he gave me refills on the antibiotics. So yay for that.

And guess what? You will never guess. Ds24 has bought a house, got married and had a baby girl.....Delaney Elizabeth. She was 2 months old on the 6th.  So they came over tonight and wanted strawberry pie with whipped cream. I really didn't feel like it since it hasn't been long enough for the antibiotics to help, but I did make the pie and whipped cream.

Now I am tuckered out. Imma bed.

sweet dreams

Congratulations!! Beautiful name for a beautiful girl, I'm sure!  And (((Openhearted)))  Hugs for you!  Hope you can rest today.  Next time call out the ITT island staff to help you host!

• Like 3