Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!

I am the only one up now. DH is taking the day off work. He worked Saturday and Sunday whilst in China, so his boss said he could take 2 days off when he got home. Poor guy was just beat yesterday. It all caught up with him.... working so much, 30 hours on a plane altogether... time zones. So, he’s sleeping.

I get to go to a regional staff meeting today.  Yay. At least DH will be home, so he gets to school the girls. I think I will go to Costco after.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Openhearted said:

Did you know Shel Silverstein wrote the song "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash? I don't know why, but I found this most interesting.

This bit of ITTrivia has been bought to you by PBS and useless things that you will never need to know unless it is a Jeopardy answer. 😂

Good night, dear friends, and sweet dreams.

I love this so much. I cannot put into words how happy knowing this makes me. ❤️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I slept in til 7 (except for dh's alarm going off at 4:45 😱)  Coffee is ready!  Youngest did some of her school work last night so she could be lazy today.  So, I'm hoping to finish school profile and counselor letter.  I'm going to need duct tape and bazookas to keep myself in line.  willy:nilly

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Process for writing school profile:  1) brainstorm why we wanted to homeschool and our philosophy  2) agonize at failure to stick to original philosophy  3) brainstorm more  4)  attempt to translate homeschool mumbo jumbo into something that doesn't sound weird  5) lament that I didn't include XYZ  6) repeat steps 1 and 2  7) do an internet search for sample profile letters  8 ) debate whether to include information about our local schools  9) reject online sample profile letters  10)  read threads on the highschool board about profile letters  11)  quote Monty Python:  "Run Away!  Run Away!" 

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

How about: we homeschool therefore homeschool. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

College App Post Warning/

So, I have a first draft of school profile.  I think it's too short. I went on to the counselor letter.  I was going to focus on two characteristics taking initiative / self-discipline as the first and an active community member as the second.  (Actually, I'm not sure what I'm calling the 2nd one.....).  But I have noticeably more to say about the first one than the second one.  Ack!  Help!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

College App Post Warning/

So, I have a first draft of school profile.  I think it's too short. I went on to the counselor letter.  I was going to focus on two characteristics taking initiative / self-discipline as the first and an active community member as the second.  (Actually, I'm not sure what I'm calling the 2nd one.....).  But I have noticeably more to say about the first one than the second one.  Ack!  Help!

Is this the Common App?  I didn't do any of this with Ds, but then I didn't do the common app.  In fact, he did all the applying - by accident.  (He thought that he was filling out a form asking for information on the colleges.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Is this the Common App?  I didn't do any of this with Ds, but then I didn't do the common app.  In fact, he did all the applying - by accident.  (He thought that he was filling out a form asking for information on the colleges.) 

Well, actually I prefer to avoid the Common App if possible for this very reason.  But UK sent us a link for the counselor to up load profile and counselor letter.  I'm not terribly worried about it affecting the outcome.  I just want to do a decent job of it and be done.  I think it will be the only app. we need it for.  

• Like 2

Good... morning?

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

It is now in the 40's.  It was in the 90's yesterday.

My AC is off! My AC is off!

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

The temperature is going the wrong way!!

No it's not.

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Process for writing school profile:  1) brainstorm why we wanted to homeschool and our philosophy  2) agonize at failure to stick to original philosophy  3) brainstorm more  4)  attempt to translate homeschool mumbo jumbo into something that doesn't sound weird  5) lament that I didn't include XYZ  6) repeat steps 1 and 2  7) do an internet search for sample profile letters  8 ) debate whether to include information about our local schools  9) reject online sample profile letters  10)  read threads on the highschool board about profile letters  11)  quote Monty Python:  "Run Away!  Run Away!" 

Thank you. I needed to know this.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, whitehawk said:

[Class details: topic, ages, days, times, location.] Class size will be limited to [#]; returning students may register and pay via [accepted payment methods] by October 25 to ensure a spot. Registration will be open to the public from October 26 until [date] or until the class is full, whichever comes first.

Perfect!  I love it.  Thank you so much.  

• Like 3

I want an ice cream booya.  I haven't had ice cream in a while.   Dh keeps not buying it and I don't grocery shop very often.  I like ice cream sandwiches and the only grocery store on my way home from class doesn't carry them and mostly has "gourmet" ice creams.  Walmart seems to only have neopolitan ones lately and I want chocolate.  I'll accept cookies and cream if I must or mint chocolate chip if that's all the have but I prefer the traditional vanilla.    If I can't get ice cream sandwiches (that I eat by rolling them in sprinkles), I'll take a flavor of ice cream with chunks or nuts or fudge or something.  Rocky Road, Tin Roof Sundae, Mint Chocolate Chip, Cookie Dough, Pfish Food.   I need something I can chew on in my ice cream.  

And that is probably more than y'all wanted to know about my ice cream preferences. 

• Like 3

We had bratwurst with baked sauerkraut & tomatoes.  

The quartet has convinced me to finally start selling some of my arrangements online.  Dh has been recruited to help me make sure the files are formatted correctly.

We are getting Critter's rain.  Should be much cooler tomorrow, but sunny.  Lynette is all set up by a window in the living room.

• Like 2

There's a thing here called Cookies Over Texas which is cookies and cream and cookie dough and that's just mean.

51 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I just use tuna, eggs, and Italian seasoned bread crumbs.  They don't fall apart.  But the recipe you gave me didn't fall apart, either.  It was the recipe with the mango salsa.

I can't do bread crumbs. It's this recipe.

• Like 1

Can someone please remind me next time I go to Costco not to get any dishwashing liquid. I.... well..... I have three unopened Costco sized bottles of dishwashing liquid under the sink. I don’t know why I keep thinking I am out.

I think I’m going to go watch Dr. Strange now. It’s the latest installment of the Fall Marvel Movie Film Festival. Which is the extension of the Summer Marvel Movie Film Festival.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good Saturday Morning!  Coffee just finished brewing.

Tuna cakes - I have not made.  But I have made salmon croquettes a couple times and I think we use leftover mashed potatoes if possible in addition to egg and bread crumbs.  (Or even easier now that you can buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes!)

Grammar - we have rarely finished a whole grammar book as well.  But keep plugging away and eventually they get what they need.  Or else front load a bunch of information and just diagram sentences together.  

Also, praying for Scotsman and his suitcase!

Yay for quartet music that pays!

I like Breyers Snickers ice cream.  I also like Baskin Robbins Jamocha Almond Fudge.  yummy!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Doing grammar makes us tired. maybe I should go grab one of the kids' books so I can fall asleep. I'm just so worried about Scotsman's suitcase. Prayers a re most appreciated for it and its contents safe, undisturbed return.

Going back to the grammar thing, it really makes us tired. We feel so drained after doing it that we don't have any energy for writing. I'm thinking about a simpler book for next time like Loyola Press Exercises in English. Except for The Girl finishing FLL 3, none of mine have ever finished an entire grammar book. We burn out.

Why are you doing grammar?

Here's my 2 cents, for whatever they are worth:

Intensive grammar study in the classical tradition originated with the study of Latin, which as a highly inflected (word forms change depending on the function of the word in a sentence) DEAD language was taught through explicit grammar instruction. Of course Roman children back in the day learned to speak their highly inflected language without such instruction, just as speakers of modern highly inflected languages such as Russian do. And of course just as speakers of less inflected language such as English do. Learning close analysis of sentence structure never has been necessary for grammatical speech or for grammatical writing.

Learning usage, style, and mechanics plus basic parts of speech level grammar should be sufficient for most people. Writing skills will benefit more from extensive reading than from extensive grammar instruction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Doing grammar makes us tired. maybe I should go grab one of the kids' books so I can fall asleep. I'm just so worried about Scotsman's suitcase. Prayers a re most appreciated for it and its contents safe, undisturbed return.

Going back to the grammar thing, it really makes us tired. We feel so drained after doing it that we don't have any energy for writing. I'm thinking about a simpler book for next time like Loyola Press Exercises in English. Except for The Girl finishing FLL 3, none of mine have ever finished an entire grammar book. We burn out.

We're doing IEW so we use their grammar. It takes 5 minutes. In 2nd we did Bible Heroes and Fix it 1, in 3rd we're doing All Things Fun and Fascinating with the first half of Fix it 2 and Teaching The Classics.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!! 

I slept in a bit. Lots to do today. There’s a parade in town for the annual Fiesta. I am not really interested, but the girls want to go, so I will take them. DH has too much to do to go with us.

I have work to catch up on, so I guess I will do that, too. And tomorrow is Baby’s birthday party with the grandparents. I have no idea what to make for a menu. Something simple. I’m thinking soup and sandwiches.

• Like 3

I woke up around 7:30 but decided I should laze around in bed for a while.  I haven't done that in a long time.  Made it until around 9:30.  I tend to be achy when I do that but I still like doing it every so often.  

I'm having my tea and peanut butter toast this morning with the door open to enjoy the gorgeous Fall weather.  I'll have to do the slightly longer 2 mile walk instead of the 1 mile walk today.   I'm walking in the same place, a walking path along side a road in the town where I have the science center.  It's pretty much flat, has a good parking spot and is on the way home.   If I walk up to a certain street and turn around, it's one mile.  If I walk all the way to one end of the path, it's two miles.  I did the walk to the end and then the walk to the certain street to do my 3.1 mile/5K.    What I do depends on weather, how much time I have (if I have to take dd to tkd or tutor), and if either/both of the kids are with me.   Dd will do the 2 miles if we have time, I haven't gotten ds to do it yet.   But that also has to do with what days he's with me tend to be our less time days. 

Edited by Where's Toto?
ETA: Not an ice cream booya. A walking plan booya
  • Like 4

Once I finally get moving I'm heading over to the science center.  I have more rearranging I want to do and I have to reorganize my really big rock and mineral collection.  I did geology activities this week with my junior classes and everything is all jumbled up. 

My new cleaning person is amazing and doing such a great job, which is making my life so much easier.  

• Like 5