Menu

Ignore this thread!

Matt and I realized that all of the stuff he and his sister were given were gone when they were ready to move. No one knows what that means and no one is bringing it up with MIL. Very strange.

Also, Christmas could be school stuff. I forgot that I wanted a telescope and electronic dictionary/thesaurus. Lots of options there. My kids just got new pencil boxes all stocked with goodies.

And you could look at the Christmas hits and misses threads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My personal opinion is that kids don’t like presents that are really for the parent’s benefit. 

I only do school if I know it's something they'll love. So no math books. :biggrin: But if I got John an electronic dictionary/thesaurus he'd play with it every day until it broke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We tend to give books, art supplies, and sewing supplies.  And stuffies, because clearly we don't have enough of those yet. It's getting harder to come up with ideas, though.  Money isn't terribly exciting to the kids (yet) and events and experiences, while great, aren't tons of fun to open (and usually require waiting until decent weather returns).

I have some items in our crawlspace I'd like to give (my old dollhouse, for example) but then I run into the problem of square footage (or lack thereof).  

• Like 3

It has been a hard day.  Father-Son camping trip was cancelled at the very very last minute by its organizers and DS12 is  crushed.  He'd looked forward to it for so long.  Seeing him try really hard not to cry when he found out was worse than if he'd actually just cried.   DD10 made soup for dinner and I may just curl up and go to bed early.  

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

It has been a hard day.  Father-Son camping trip was cancelled at the very very last minute by its organizers and DS12 is  crushed.  He'd looked forward to it for so long.  Seeing him try really hard not to cry when he found out was worse than if he'd actually just cried.   DD10 made soup for dinner and I may just curl up and go to bed early.  

Send him here to Camp JJM. He'd miss his dad, but I can bet that we'd have LOADS of fun.

((Not-So-Little Duckling))

• Like 5

My organic dried black elderberries finally came today.  Now I have to find a recipe for elderberry syrup.

Brahms was not shy about passing out the squeaky high notes.  And Beethoven was not shy about break-neck speeds.  I had to keep reminding myself to relax my arm and finger muscles during rehearsal.

Time for the sleeping!  Good night!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I used elbow noodles in the mac and cheese tonight. 

Elbow noodles would have been my first choice.  Is that unusual for you?  Or you were paying homage to Jean's elbow.

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Yay!! Can we have a secret handshake?? And we need a theme song.  And an official flag.

You should have a t-shirt too!

6 hours ago, Slache said:

How do I get my husband to leave?

He could join the army?

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You guys can start your own club, too. With a secret handshake and a flag and everything.

Very secret!  (((all who are sick)))  

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Friday!!!!

I got a text sometime in the night that DH had landed in China, so that’s good. I think he’s 15 hours ahead of me, which would mean it’s 9:00pm China-time and hopefully he is going to bed. He will have been up about 26 hours by now, with only a bit of sleep on the plane.

Busy day today.  Schooling the girls in the morning. At noon I’m helping out at the older kids’ school. There’s a fund raising auction this weekend, and I’m helping with food prep. Then I go to the Big City and meet yet another new family. They put 8 new students on my roster in the past week. Since school has already started it’s rather imperative that I get the processed and moving quickly.

• Like 5

Good morning.

I promised the kids rice pudding for breakfast, I need to go make it. Rice is already cooked.

I've been really good for the least few days about leaving the kitchen clean before I go to bed so at least I don't have to face a dirty kitchen in the morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, maize said:

I've been really good for the least few days about leaving the kitchen clean before I go to bed so at least I don't have to face a dirty kitchen in the morning.

That’s a big thing for me, too. I hate waking up to a dirty kitchen. I was even mopping at 9:15 last night. Although that is not usual. An acceptable clean kitchen for me is dishes in dishwasher and countertops wiped down. The floor is negotiable, though I prefer it to be at least dust-mopped.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You guys can start your own club, too. With a secret handshake and a flag and everything.

Perhaps that's the problem?

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

We're all sleeping in a bit today.  Dh and ds are going on a college visit.  It is a FANTASTIC 58 degrees outside!!!  🎉

Oooo! Which one? Colleges are the senior year version of shiny new curriculum...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Perhaps that's the problem?

Oooo! Which one? Colleges are the senior year version of shiny new curriculum...

Boyce College in Louisville, KY  

In two weeks he will do a dept. visit at UK.  

And we just got something in the mail from UK about applying (which he has been working on) that included a form for his guidance counselor for submitting secondary school report form (profile) and counselor letter.  <svengo>  So much for not having to do those.  willy:nilly!!!!!!!   Do you think "Putting out fires" is a bad educational philosophy?  Asking for a friend.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Boyce College in Louisville, KY  

In two weeks he will do a dept. visit at UK.  

And we just got something in the mail from UK about applying (which he has been working on) that included a form for his guidance counselor for submitting secondary school report form (profile) and counselor letter.  <svengo>  So much for not having to do those.  willy:nilly!!!!!!!   Do you think "Putting out fires" is a bad educational philosophy?  Asking for a friend.  

Mine is "Making it up as I go along," so no, I think it's a fabulous educational philosophy. I might not be the person to ask, though...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I need the green face. I can see marshmallows in hot chocolate or cocoa or even coffee (which I don’t drink so really can’t vouch for) but watery tea. Blech! To each their own.

I'm pretending it was milk and sugar, but I don't think I'll try it!  :laugh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

What does that look like in educational-ese?  I need help!  How do we make that sound fabulous?!

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Providing a flexible academic environment where needs are identified and met over time. 

This. Flexibility is key.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

I don't know where to celebrate this triumph...and I find this thread fun, even though I almost never post.... I figured out how to lace my walking shoes so my toes don't lose circulation and burn!  They are significantly better shoes now!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7