Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I survived The AFSA.  Not as many people shopping there at 8am.  Aldi did not go as well.  They were out of butter, half & half, cream, yogurt packs, chicken, frozen meatballs, frozen ravioli, sweet potatoes, corned beef, peas, etc. etc.  I could have kept asking the guy to find stuff for me (or just handed him my grocery list), but there were only two working this morning and I didn't want to wait around while he looked for my stuff and everyone else's stuff.  They DID have mums, so I got a couple of those.  Yellow mums make me happy.

Mums for Susan's happiness.  (I used to live near this nursery.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My husband is driving somebody to Houston. The money is awesome, but he's never going to be home!

After everything with the car and staying up late and all the yuck we've had this week we were only going to have one day of school which was today, so instead we are cleaning out the nursery. I've already hurt my back doing something stupid. I shouldn't have anything else big today though.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Happy Friday!  I'm kind of glad this week is over.   Last weekend was off with my brother here and I didn't get anything done so the whole week felt like I couldn't quite get caught up.  I hate that feeling.   Dh is going to his parents for the weekend, leaving after dinner tonight so I should be able to get lots and lots done.   

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Shakespeare in the Park was so fun!  There were sprites continually creeping through the audience making weird random noises.  During intermission, one of the sprites played on the swingset with my kids and then for a bit during the 2nd half, sat with them in the grass up front while dd10 fed her Skittles.  Another sprite came over and danced with her in another scene.  

My favorite line, if you can imagine the most "teenage daughter voice" saying to her dad, "The strangeness of your story put heaviness in me." :laugh:

They're going to be back in January to do Macbeth!

I absolutely feel all of my rejections should come back with that line. I'd giggle uncontrollably. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I need some time in The Cave of Solitude.

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Can I come, too? I promise I won't talk to you. Solitude sounds wonderful right now.

I'd ask to come, too, but I think that would sort of destroy the whole point. How about: Can I have it when you're done?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There are bats in there.  You will have to shoo them out first. 

Bat party!

5 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Can I come, too? I promise I won't talk to you. Solitude sounds wonderful right now.

Yes!

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

I'd ask to come, too, but I think that would sort of destroy the whole point. How about: Can I have it when you're done?

Yes!

I believe that The Cave of Solitude has several chambers suitable for solitude.  Many have peaceful waterfalls and all have a spot for a nice cozy fire if you want that sort of thing.   

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Bat party!

Yes!

Yes!

I believe that The Cave of Solitude has several chambers suitable for solitude.  Many have peaceful waterfalls and all have a spot for a nice cozy fire if you want that sort of thing.   

Does it have staff?? Very discreet staff?? Probably not, or it wouldn’t be the cave of solitude. Hmmmm! I think I will just go to the Island.i need Rocco and some tropical beverages with umbrellas in them.

• Like 4

Good morning!

There are too many moving parts in my day today.  Dh is taking dd13 to the Scout canoe trip meeting place.  I'm taking dd16 to day 2 of college weekend.  Dh has to go to the Home Depot to buy stuff for a church event, meet the Event Outfitter for tent set-up, meet the fire chief for Event Inspection and take ds14 to a chess workshop.  Then I ned to make food for an unrelated church picnic and go to that with whoever is still at home and then leave early to bring dd10 to a sleepover party.

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Does it have staff?? Very discreet staff?? Probably not, or it wouldn’t be the cave of solitude. Hmmmm! I think I will just go to the Island.i need Rocco and some tropical beverages with umbrellas in them.

Alfred the Butler works in the (bat-infested) Cave of Solitude.  He is very discreet.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Bat party!

Yes!

Yes!

I want a waterfall and a fire.  And a papasan chair to curl up in with a book.  But the fire can't make it too warm for a nice snuggly hoodie.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Waterfall, fire, cozy chair, hot chocolate, and sandwiches. And at least three good books, because one is never enough.

I need a good book. I’m slogging through a book about Lawrence of Arabia, which is very good and interesting, but it requires a lot of mental energy, which I don’t have at this point.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Give me some examples of what you've liked in the past for cotton candy reading, and I might be able to offer some new titles to check out.

Hmmmmm, well, my go-to, devour in a weekend books have been the “Harry Bosch” crime novels by Michael Connelly.  But otherwise, that’s a hard question to answer. The latest book I read was a memoir about a gal who survived the Rwandan genocide and was instrumental in the healing and reconciliation process in that country.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874869846/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That was a tremendous book, but not my usual fare.   Let’s see, I read three novels lately I enjoyed and some of the themes were... friendship, personal growth, some romance but that wasn’t the main thing. And I like books that are well written and not super predictable.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Good morning. I have to drive into the Big City today to meet a Japanese homeschooler that I have never met before. I have never explained homeschooling in Japanese before. I hope that I have the vocabulary. Or she might just be proficient in English. Since I have never met her I have no idea what she might even want to generally know.  At least I will get really good Vietnamese food out of this. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Sally Hepworth might be a good author for you to check out. The Mother-In-Law was the most recent one I read, and it was excellent. I listened to The Secrets of Midwives a few years ago and really enjoyed that one, too.

Do you like YA or middle grade fiction? I've been reading a lot of that lately and could definitely recommend a few titles there.

I've heard really good things about Where the Crawdads Sing, but I haven't read it yet. I have it on order at the library, so I'll let you know.

As far as crime fiction/procedurals, I'm almost done working my way through Karin Slaughter's Grant County and Will Trent series. She can be rather dark, but her people are so real I can't stop reading. I'm also a big fan of Nicci French, especially if you're an Anglophile, as all the books are set in London.

I started “Where the Crawdads Sing” And just couldn’t get through it. I don’t know why. It was kind of sad. I’ve heard good things about it, too, and the way it was written was really good. I enjoyed the language and the way it was put together, it was just kind of hard for me in an emotional way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

A bit more than that, but you're on the right track!  (It's actually sticking. 😳)

21 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I am greenhawk, because so, so jealous.

It's close to 90 here and humid.

Stupid Forever Summer.

Generally, we have about the perfect climate here- four true seasons. This is NUTS, though. Snow in late October is early. Snow in late September? Shocking. (And cold. It's amazing how much colder 30 degrees is in September than it is in January.)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

A bit more than that, but you're on the right track!  (It's actually sticking. 😳)

Generally, we have about the perfect climate here- four true seasons. This is NUTS, though. Snow in late October is early. Snow in late September? Shocking. (And cold. It's amazing how much colder 30 degrees is in September than it is in January.)

We never really got hot this summer here.  And we started our rainy season a month early.  It is definitely fall even though most years it is still summery through the end of September and often even into October. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I want s’mores to go with my fire in the cave of solitude.

6 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I want a waterfall and a fire.  And a papasan chair to curl up in with a book.  But the fire can't make it too warm for a nice snuggly hoodie.  

6 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Waterfall, fire, cozy chair, hot chocolate, and sandwiches. And at least three good books, because one is never enough.

Yes to All The Things!

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I vacuumed and cleaned (swiped) the half bath.

Overachiever!

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I cleaned, too. Bathroom, bedroom, laundry room, girls’ dressers. Now i’m Working out the budget and will make lunch.  I have found out I waste a lot of time dawdling. If I would just get down to business I can get a lot done in a short amount of time.

I have done zero cleaning.  No, I threw away a wrapper that was on the kitchen counter.  

We are back from the college prospective student sessions, (it surprised dd16, I think, how really impressed she was) and I stopped by the store to pick up things for the church picnic and then got home and realized I didn't actually have the loaf of French bread I was going to use, so we will bring other stuff.  Picnic starts now.  It's just at the park across the street, so we'll head over in a minute.

Imma need The Cave of Solitude in a couple hours.  So. Many. People. Today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1