Menu

Ignore this thread!

I could have sworn that I posted this:

My triumph:

I  started out doing 5 very hard leg lifts (I googled for proper form).  Then I advanced to 7 very hard leg lifts.  Then 7 plus 3 for a total of 10.  Then 8 plus 2 for a total of 10.  Now I can do 10 leg lifts in a row.  (For perspective:  a "beginner" is advised to start with two sets of 20, so I still have a long way to go.) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m threatening The Girl with going to public school. She is 11, July birthday. She is refusing to do anything I assign, fighting with her brothers and me, and generally being a pain in the rear. She says she just wants to play and everything is too hard (which it isn’t). I am at my wits end. I’m tired, people, tired of fighting my kids every single day for what feels like the entire time I have homeschooled. I am worried I have nothing left for Captain. I want to cry. But I’m not gonna quit. I’m too stubborn and to quit means I failed.

how do I break this pattern of kids getting stubborn, then me threatening public school, then lots of lectures, and I’m sorries, then we try again, then it starts over?

If you have no plan to do public school then I would stop threatening with it.  I would have other consequences.  Or rewards for each thing she does.  (Sure- they shouldn't "need" rewards but sometimes they do and we all tend to do better with them.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m threatening The Girl with going to public school. She is 11, July birthday. She is refusing to do anything I assign, fighting with her brothers and me, and generally being a pain in the rear. She says she just wants to play and everything is too hard (which it isn’t). I am at my wits end. I’m tired, people, tired of fighting my kids every single day for what feels like the entire time I have homeschooled. I am worried I have nothing left for Captain. I want to cry. But I’m not gonna quit. I’m too stubborn and to quit means I failed.

how do I break this pattern of kids getting stubborn, then me threatening public school, then lots of lectures, and I’m sorries, then we try again, then it starts over?

Make them get a job at McDonald's for a semester.  While paying you rent and utilities. 

I know, I know..... Eleven is too young for this, right?  .

(((Paradox)))

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Haha 2

Would she be more compliant if she had a greater role in planning her day or week?   

My Dd 10 is very independent-minded and I'm starting to get pushback from her that I've not yet had from her older brother.  I've been wondering about whether she's ready to be set loose on a few more things. She has responded well to additional responsibility (in tiny doses) so far. 

• Like 2

I'm trying to work up the energy to help Ds12 finish editing his last paper for his creative writing class.  

We already edited the second-to-last one this morning. It sucked the life out of me.

Twelve year-old Creative Geniuses generally are not fans of Mom Editors. 

Hey!  It's a But First...Coffee Booyah!!   Or maybe an It's Five O'Clock Somewhere Booyah.  I can't decide.  Chocolate works with both.

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Like 4

We are back from The Old Lady Party.  The kids played music and everyone seemed to enjoy The Sound of Music Medley, So Happy Together, and Por Una Cabeza most.  My favorite is always Ten Thousand Miles (Mary Chapin Carpenter) - I get a little teary over that one.  One elderly gentleman gave a Speech of Encouragement to them, which was very sweet.  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Eleven was hard. I didn't like eleven. Or twelve. Or thirteen. Fourteen was better. Fifteen is pretty good. The turtles tell me they will be sixteen in another month. 

I revised three chapters in the book that never ends and one chapter in the other book that will probably never end. The boy wrote a chapter in his book, too. The other did a ton of laundry and dishes. Not a bad day, but I'm tired, and I'm not quite done with all my writing duties. I have a book to Beta read, and a lecture to listen to this evening, plus some character work, and I really ought to start my sketch for tomorrow as I have to work, and then come home and work on revisions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

You  can do it, Quackers!!

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Go, Quackers!  You can do it! 

Did it!  

Six-week course is done. Got the certificate to prove it.  A fantastic class, but Ds12 loves writing so much that he spends a ton of time on it.  It will be great to reclaim those hours each week.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I let her pick all her materials and how often to do the extras each week. I know a lot of it is hormones. That doesn’t make it any easier. She is so much like I was at her age. Stubborn and more stubborn.

No challenges. She just got glasses.

Hormones suck.  😥  M&Ms help.   (((Paradox and DD)))

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Oh, she's Eleven.  We have a lot of Eleven-ness going on at our house too.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Tonight is Spider Man night.  Michael Keaton is old.  Tony Stark doesn’t “parent” teenagers very well.

DH called me from China. He is doing well.

Yay for calls from China!

I do voice calls with my sister in China over Facebook messenger, it is amazing up me how clear her voice is, knowing she is so far away.

• Like 5

Despite my trials with my teens at times, I really do like the teenage years - most of the time.  Just don't ask me on certain days. 

Edited to say that you could substitute "infant year", "toddler years", "preschool years", "elementary years" and "middle school years" in that sentence and it would be equally true! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

Good morning!

I'm supposed to go grocery shopping today but that's not going to happen.  Might be able to go tomorrow.  We still have eggs and bread and almond milk, and nobody is going to go hungry.  I'm playing for a wedding in KY and have to leave at 10:30 and am hoping to be home tonight by 7.  I'm carpooling, so I need to find something to do during the drive.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Dd16 has been an easy teenager thus far. We have an arrangement: I drive her to ten gazillion karate classes and events and in exchange she is pleasant and helpful. OK it isn't exactly a formal contract but yeah keeping her happy is pretty straightforward.

Ds14 is a bit more of a challenge.

And the eleven year old... Eleven really does seem to be a hard age in general.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

Good morning! Everyone slept in.

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Tonight is Spider Man night.  Michael Keaton is old.  Tony Stark doesn’t “parent” teenagers very well.

DH called me from China. He is doing well.

The last avenger movie I saw was Iron man. Is he married with kids now? I saw the spider verse and liked it.

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I can’t wait till Alex is a teenager.🤣

That will be expensive but doable. John is very sensitive. That I don't look forward to.

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Despite my trials with my teens at times, I really do like the teenage years - most of the time.  Just don't ask me on certain days. 

Edited to say that you could substitute "infant year", "toddler years", "preschool years", "elementary years" and "middle school years" in that sentence and it would be equally true! 

Yes, but I've never handled the emotional drama of tweens well. I'm hoping a lack of public/private school lessens that.

1 hour ago, maize said:

Dd16 has been an easy teenager thus far. We have an arrangement: I drive her to ten gazillion karate classes and events and in exchange she is pleasant and helpful. OK it isn't exactly a formal contract but yeah keeping her happy is pretty straightforward.

Ds14 is a bit more of a challenge.

And the eleven year old... Eleven really does seem to be a hard age in general.

Eleven is the hardest, from what I remember. Maybe 9 to 13. Physically and emotionally.

• Like 4

Morning (for another hour anyway).   I managed to stay in bed until 9am today but I also kept waking up all night.  2am, 4am, 6am.   I don't feel too tired though.

Today I have to do some clean up at the science center, clean the snakes cage so I can bring her home, I think I"m going to try and do the full 5K walk today but we'll see.  Its a beautiful fall day and I'm not sure how many of these we're going to get when it's not raining or cold or both.  

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!! 

I slept until 7:45, at whIch time the furry alarm clock outside my bedroom window turned frantic and woke me up. It was Lilly-cat, of course. The trouble maker. 

Kids are still sleeping. 

I don’t know what is going on today. I know I have to go to the Afsa at some point. Tomorrow is DD3’s birthday. I should bake her a cake or something. She pretty much insists on things like that. Housework should be done.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

Good morning! Everyone slept in.

The last avenger movie I saw was Iron man. Is he married with kids now? I saw the spider verse and liked it.

No, in this one it seems like Iron Man got engaged to Pepper Potts at the end. But watching deal with 15 year old Spider Man/Peter Parker as an Avenger trainee was hilarious. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have enjoyed my kids at every age. DS is 15 and DD is 13, and even though I honestly despise the Christian School they are going to (no comments on that, please.... yes, as long as it is their choice they will continue to go there. I refuse to homeschool a teenager who is sulky, resentful and resistant. And no, I won’t elaborate as to why I hate it. Too many reasons. It’s a good school overall.), my relationship with them has changed for the better since I am not homeschooling them. And that has to do with the small town/church culture we live in, not homeschooling teenagers per se.  I really enjoy them as teens. They are funny and smart and their ideas are interesting, even though sometimes really strange.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Weekends are super hard for me to stay on track with good bloodsugars. So I am going to be using this space for accountability. First up: test my fasting bloodsugar then have my normal breakfast of eggs and bone broth. I will ignore the fluffy gf pancakes that dd made. (Sob). 

You should do school on Saturdays.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1