Menu

Ignore this thread!

10 hours ago, Openhearted said:

I've missed y'all!

Another day done. We had school. Then I had to go to dr. for a stupid UTI. At least he gave me refills on the antibiotics. So yay for that.

And guess what? You will never guess. Ds24 has bought a house, got married and had a baby girl.....Delaney Elizabeth. She was 2 months old on the 6th.  So they came over tonight and wanted strawberry pie with whipped cream. I really didn't feel like it since it hasn't been long enough for the antibiotics to help, but I did make the pie and whipped cream.

Now I am tuckered out. Imma bed.

sweet dreams

Congratulations!!! What a beautiful name for the Baby!!

Sorry about the UTI.  I can definitely sympathize.

• Like 5

Good morning!

I was thinking of making and canning apple sauce then remembered that I left my new canning jars in the trunk of dh's car and he has left for work already.

So maybe tomorrow. I actually have very little canning experience, I'm trying to teach myself.

I may cook up a batch of applesauce to eat fresh.

And juice some grapes.

And bring the dehydrator in from the shed; I've got a lot of fruit to process.

• Like 5

Yay, Dawn!!! Beautiful name. How exciting!

It's Windsday around here, even though it's Thursday.  "Fall is when the wild leaves fly..."   I memorized this in a poem in 3rd grade, and it always comes back to me on days like this.  Not sure what the poem was, though I doubt it was anything at the level of, say, Robert Frost.  More likely it was written by "Jane Doe, PhD; Joe Schmo, PhD, et.al" and published by Houghton-Mifflin-Harcourt-Brace-Javonovich or whatever that company was back in the early 80s.  Odd the things I remember. 

Piano today!  And Farm!  And Hebrew! And phase two of The Great Clothing Swap, which is washing all the stuff to be packed away and used again come summer.  

Oh wait.  Can't use the washer during piano.  Grrrr.... 

• Like 5

My sisters have our Mom (94) all riled up.  They have been trying to get her to move into assisted living and she's having none of it.  I'm actually more on Mom's side than my sisters.  But I am also not there.  (But I have a lot more experience with care for the elderly than they do.)  I talked to Mom for 40 minutes on the phone.  She does have Senior Moments but most days, like today, she's sharp as a tack. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Did you know that one of our local hospitals has "Mammogram Parties"?  It's for groups of 6 to 10 women.  Hors d'oeuvres are provided.  For some reason that strikes me as hilarious - and not an invite I would accept! 

I think that my hospital does the same.  I think it's to encourage positive peer pressure.  Here, I think it's geared toward women who work in offices -- they can all come in together after work.

ETA:  I just looked it up.  The party also includes free refreshments and manicures.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Dd21 is in her rescheduled appt. to apply for a passport. Dh called the State Department to confirm the document requirements and then spoke with the post office person who staunchly refused to follow the State Department’s guidelines. So dh called the State Department again and the person advised that dd go to a different post office. Which is in the next town over.  Dd doesn’t have a car, but she was able to get a ride. I’m hoping to hear soon.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Junie said:

I think that my hospital does the same.  I think it's to encourage positive peer pressure.  Here, I think it's geared toward women who work in offices -- they can all come in together after work.

ETA:  I just looked it up.  The party also includes free refreshments and manicures.

I would do that. I need to go for mine. I keep putting it off. I don’t have time.

• Like 5

I love the idea of a mammogram party! I would never want to go to one, but what a great idea.

I cleaned out the fridge and took the produce drawers out. The produce drawers were never big enough for the produce that we buy so I always had a bin on one of the shelves, but having produce in three different places always meant that stuff would go bad. Plus, they are inconvenient because you can't open them unless you pull the fridge out and they're always dirty. So I took the drawers out, spaced the shelves out better and hopefully it will be easier to keep the fridge organized. Give me trophies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

We use the bottom produce drawer for yogurt.  You don't have to worry about 50 pieces of clutter all over of the fridge and everyone (even as pre-schoolers) can reach the yogurt to get their own breakfast.

ETA: A yogurt Booyah is better than a salad booyah.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 8

I'm still in the revision cave. My new agent will be the death of me. LOL. Not really. I like her a lot. And if she puts up with me yowling about cuts now, she's likely to be able to talk me off the ledge when editors shred my story like on of Jean's bunnies with a lettuce leaf.

I'm waiting on DH to bring home hot chocolate. That makes all revision better. 

Which makes me want to remind all the kids out there with writing woes--Life is revision, your highness. Anyone who tells you different isn't selling your work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Junie said:

We use the bottom produce drawer for yogurt.  You don't have to worry about 50 pieces of clutter all over of the fridge and everyone (even as pre-schoolers) can reach the yogurt to get their own breakfast.

ETA: A yogurt Booyah is better than a salad booyah.

My sister got a mini fridge just for kid snacks. 

Keeps the kids out of the big fridge.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Did you know Shel Silverstein wrote the song "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash? I don't know why, but I found this most interesting.

This bit of ITTrivia has been bought to you by PBS and useless things that you will never need to know unless it is a Jeopardy answer. 😂

Good night, dear friends, and sweet dreams.

Edited by Openhearted
I'm tired
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

So, today I solved the Mystery of the Missing Eggs. Recently we haven't found many eggs in the chickens' nesting boxes, suggesting that they had decided to lay Elsewhere. But as many times as I have walked around the yard looking I couldn't find the missing eggs. I finally found them today, in the little blueberry patch that I hadn't looked in because it was fenced off from the chickens. Apparently the chickens have learned to get over the fence because there were 19 eggs in there. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Which makes me want to remind all the kids out there with writing woes--Life is revision, your highness. Anyone who tells you different isn't selling your work.

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Brilliant!

It really needs to go in the archives.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Openhearted said:

Did you know Shel Silverstein wrote the song "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash? I don't know why, but I found this most interesting.

This bit of ITTrivia has been bought to you by PBS and useless things that you will never need to know unless it is a Jeopardy answer. 😂

Good night, dear friends, and sweet dreams.

And yet... somehow.... that fact just fits. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

How is Matt's work schedule going?  Is Adam behaving?

Ok. I think no days off this month. Barbravan was a $600 loss from not working and the flu took a few days so we're all messy.  I'm tired. I want no things after this month. I'm done.

Adam is great but I think I've met him twice. The flu. Oi.

21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Slashie is a bat.

Sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm going to be a bat today. Between the cold front, the storms, and a snoring DH, I'm up early. I'd go work, but DH will be up in another 30 minutes, and then I'll get up with him, get my tea, and either start revisions or put the first layer of paint on this snow scene I'm working on. 

Probably need a nap later.

• Like 5

I slept in til 7 (except for dh's alarm going off at 4:45 😱)  Coffee is ready!  Youngest did some of her school work last night so she could be lazy today.  So, I'm hoping to finish school profile and counselor letter.  I'm going to need duct tape and bazookas to keep myself in line.  willy:nilly

• Like 4

It's Friday!  I'm kind of glad.   I had a workshop scheduled for tomorrow but no one signed up so I don't have to do it.   Two classes (but fun ones with all teens/tweens)  and two tutoring sessions today.  

I need to write a sign and a post for Facebook that registration for my next session is now open but I want to have a note that for a certain class that meets 4 times a week (Junior Science) spaces for current students will be held until October 25th and then released to new students.   But I want to say *nicely* that for a spot to be held, payment must be made not just telling me you want it.   

Help me!  I can't seem to get the wording right.  Everything either sounds too wussy or too stern. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I need to write a sign and a post for Facebook that registration for my next session is now open but I want to have a note that for a certain class that meets 4 times a week (Junior Science) spaces for current students will be held until October 25th and then released to new students.   But I want to say *nicely* that for a spot to be held, payment must be made not just telling me you want it.   

Help me!  I can't seem to get the wording right.  Everything either sounds too wussy or too stern. 

[Class details: topic, ages, days, times, location.] Class size will be limited to [#]; returning students may register and pay via [accepted payment methods] by October 25 to ensure a spot. Registration will be open to the public from October 26 until [date] or until the class is full, whichever comes first.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Process for writing school profile:  1) brainstorm why we wanted to homeschool and our philosophy  2) agonize at failure to stick to original philosophy  3) brainstorm more  4)  attempt to translate homeschool mumbo jumbo into something that doesn't sound weird  5) lament that I didn't include XYZ  6) repeat steps 1 and 2  7) do an internet search for sample profile letters  8 ) debate whether to include information about our local schools  9) reject online sample profile letters  10)  read threads on the highschool board about profile letters  11)  quote Monty Python:  "Run Away!  Run Away!" 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2