Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Slache said:

We're doing IEW so we use their grammar. It takes 5 minutes. In 2nd we did Bible Heroes and Fix it 1, in 3rd we're doing All Things Fun and Fascinating with the first half of Fix it 2 and Teaching The Classics.

I love this so much!  

42 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Two bookshelves moved to the curb.

I'm not sure whether to give you a crying face or a trophy.  lol

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I'm up.  Dh is getting ready to go to work--he is supervising Homecoming dance set up.  I didn't go with him to the game last night.  Too cold.  And it rained off and on.

I think we will continue working on closets today.  I might run with neighbor to the veterans food bank thingie.  They have a thrift shop I would like to look through.  

I have no idea what we will have for supper.

Time for coffee.

It's still cold.

I'm planning on taco soup to go with the cooler temperatures!

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

When Scotsman checked in, his ticket said his suitcase was checked in, too. Hopefully, it really is. He will find out when he lands tonight. He us standing in line right now to board his 10 hr flight  home. Nothing compared to Krissi’s hubby’s flight!

Yay!  Hope it's there when he lands!

16 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Once I finally get moving I'm heading over to the science center.  I have more rearranging I want to do and I have to reorganize my really big rock and mineral collection.  I did geology activities this week with my junior classes and everything is all jumbled up. 

My new cleaning person is amazing and doing such a great job, which is making my life so much easier.  

Yay!  That's wonderful!

11 minutes ago, maize said:

But I need them!

Exactly!

21 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Can you explain to me?  I forgot. 

Bathing oneself especially if grungy after working out or doing dirty chores.  I don't remember the origin.  Personally, I prefer to think I never smell as bad as a goat.  🤣

• Like 5

Well Aldi was interesting.  Their refrigerators and freezers shut down, so I couldn't get 1/3 of my list.  I will probably stop at Kroger at some point, but I'm not going out again this morning.  

My kids do Rod & Staff English mostly independently until 7th grade.  They do the 6th grade book in 6th grade and then again in 7th grade.  After that they do the bit of grammar that's included in the Writing & Rhetoric series and each year they are assigned books to go through like Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, Strunk and White, Our Mother Tongue, etc.  

I was talking with a mom recently who said IEW's "Fix-It" was the only thing that stuck in her kids' heads. 

I need to run through some of the wedding music, but there are people over.

More Coffee!

• Like 2

When I first started to "wash or banish the goat", I was having significant trouble with daily tasks like bathing.  The goat was a real fear - though I did sponge baths daily and did try very hard to have good hygiene.  It is good to look back and see how far I have come especially when I get so frustrated at how far I am from where I want to be. 

On the leg lift thing (one of my current battles)- my goal is to get to the "beginner" starting point of two sets of 20 reps each.  I am now at two sets of 10 reps each. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Tomorrow we have a grocery pickup. I got croissants so that on Monday we can pack the kids in the car with smoothies and croissants while I get a haircut before we go the theater.  Knowing we can all go to the movies for $35 is a game changer for us. We hadn't gone to the movies in years. We saw The Lion King last month and now we're seeing Abominable.

• Like 6

It looks like AG uses traditional sentence diagramming.  MCT uses 4 level analysis, which DS is really good at now.  I’m thinking it would be good for him to do a bit of diagramming.  And I need a dining room table more than the next level of MCT so it looks like AG is winning here.

• Like 3

3am. An owl outside is keeping me awake, although really it’s my fault for thinking too much.  And for eating too many enchiladas on our date night.  

This afternoon, while making homemade cornbread by herself, Dd10 suddenly called to me, “Mommy?? Mommmmmmmy! Ummmmm....am I doing this right?”

A quick loud tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tapping sound greeted me as I came into the kitchen. With a sincere determination, she was beating those eggs with a fork, alright, just as the recipe said.

Uncracked eggs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, ikslo said:

It looks like AG uses traditional sentence diagramming.  MCT uses 4 level analysis, which DS is really good at now.  I’m thinking it would be good for him to do a bit of diagramming.  And I need a dining room table more than the next level of MCT so it looks like AG is winning here.

I like both.  One thing that is similar is that they both frontload parts of speech (though I think AG takes longer to do it) and and then move on to analyzing whole sentences - I like that.  One thing that might be different (can't remember how MCT handles this?) is marking part of speech instead of function in the sentence.  For example in AG you start out marking every noun in the sentence.  I can't remember, but in MCT, don't you mark Direct Objects, Predicate Nominatives, Object of the Preposition, etc. as needed instead of just "noun"?  So, you might look at it and see if it makes more sense to skip ahead OR just parse the way he learned it in MCT, but use AG to learn diagramming.  Or I could be wrong about all this, lol.  You're welcome, lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ikslo said:

Any ITTers use Analytical Grammar?  I got the set free at co-op.  A few pages in the student book are filled out, but otherwise it is in good condition.  Wondering if it is worth using.

11 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Analytical Grammar is the only grammar program that I think is worth doing. 

👍

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Why would my phone change Dallas to Falls???

Because phones are evil that way? 

Mine always changes on to in and of to if. It tried to do it to me just now. I think it uses formulas having to do with which words are most often used but really when both are super common (like of and if) it shouldn't go autocorrecting them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

3am. An owl outside is keeping me awake, although really it’s my fault for thinking too much.  And for eating too many enchiladas on our date night.  

This afternoon, while making homemade cornbread by herself, Dd10 suddenly called to me, “Mommy?? Mommmmmmmy! Ummmmm....am I doing this right?”

A quick loud tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tapping sound greeted me as I came into the kitchen. With a sincere determination, she was beating those eggs with a fork, alright, just as the recipe said.

Uncracked eggs. 

An Amelia Bedelia moment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We are joining those who are staying home today.  Dh has a thing he has to be at, and shuttling the kids by myself to church (and Sunday school, and potty break, and fellowship hall, and worship time, and then back out for sermon-time classes for the littles, and then back in for the sermon with the bigs, and then more potty break, and then a very late lunch back at home with hangry people) is not much a sabbath rest for me when I'm alone.   

The sun came back out after days of rain, so we may hike if he gets back early enough in the afternoon. 😎

• Like 6

I have got to do something about getting more sleep, I don't think I am averaging more than four decent hours per night.

The problem is a combination of my own insomnia issues and my not yet weaned two year old.

Weaning would be a good first step but I am really, really bad at weaning.

• Like 6

I'm going to a play with family this afternoon. I need to do this and be sociable and pleasant. What I'd like to do? Take my laptop, a bucket of tea, and go up into the mountains all by myself to write on a picnic table near a waterfall. Without any people around me at all. But I can't do that and be sociable. Maybe I'll do it Monday and have the kids do their school by the river while I edit, revise, and deal with no one. I'm just in a horrible mood and need a quiet day, but instead I'm going out and trying to keep my temper and have a brighter mood. Sigh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

You can do it, Critter!

Have a fun party, Krissi & Baby!

I turned “autocorrect “ off on my phone. Ain’t nobody got time for that nonsense. 

I’m in Sunday School right now. We’ll be home in an hour. IP potatoes for lunch. No idea what’s for dinner. I will go grocery shopping while ds14 is in youth orchestra rehearsal tonight. 

More coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

PSA:  If you use the IRS retrieval tool to complete the FAFSA you will get a notice in the mail from the IRS notifying you that someone accessed your information through the retrieval tool.  I'm telling you this so you don't have heart failure when you notice you have mail from the IRS.  You're welcome.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

I cleaned the stovetop.  It's been getting worse since I stopped cleaning it 3 times a day.  And yesterday somebody spilled something major while cooking.  I *am* grateful to have family members who will cook.

I also tied the second monkey fist.  I think it's going to work.

Next up: see if a quodlibet (mash-up) can be made with Amazing Grace and Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

Quodlibet Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps... 

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Party is over, now the clean-up. I am having a lot of trouble staying on Weight Watchers. I need to,  but I don’t want to and the wantas have been trumping the need-tos lately. I went 12 points over my daily limit, just for lunch. I need my own private chef. But, that may not even work. I want pizza. I made a big salad, and I ate it, but.... I like pizza. I’m really having problems.

• Like 4

I bought ice cream today.  Tin Roof Sundae and Moose Tracks.  They were on sale.  I actually went to the store to get salad stuff for lunches.  

Our septic is full even though we just had it pumped earlier this year.  Evidently it's not draining well or doing whatever the heck it's supposed to do.  Put a big damper on doing laundry but I at least got my teaching clothes and my bras done.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I went over to meet two of the board dogs who are there because their owner had a massive heart attack.  These are two big powerful dogs and they are highly stressed at the moment so I'm glad to have an opportunity for them to get used to me.  I will take over the boarding business in a couple of weeks while the owner is on vacation.  (We have long had this arrangement.  In exchange, I get free pet care during camp.)

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I like both.  One thing that is similar is that they both frontload parts of speech (though I think AG takes longer to do it) and and then move on to analyzing whole sentences - I like that.  One thing that might be different (can't remember how MCT handles this?) is marking part of speech instead of function in the sentence.  For example in AG you start out marking every noun in the sentence.  I can't remember, but in MCT, don't you mark Direct Objects, Predicate Nominatives, Object of the Preposition, etc. as needed instead of just "noun"?  So, you might look at it and see if it makes more sense to skip ahead OR just parse the way he learned it in MCT, but use AG to learn diagramming.  Or I could be wrong about all this, lol.  You're welcome, lol.  

No, MCT just uses noun.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Ack!  I've become a senile old homeschool Mom who confuses all the grammar curricula she hasn't looked at in a year or two.  😂  Glad to help, lol. 

Actually, he uses DO and stuff, too.  But I don’t remember him ever using Predicate Nom

Im tired.  I’ll look at AG more next week. Not now. Later.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Party is over, now the clean-up. I am having a lot of trouble staying on Weight Watchers. I need to,  but I don’t want to and the wantas have been trumping the need-tos lately. I went 12 points over my daily limit, just for lunch. I need my own private chef. But, that may not even work. I want pizza. I made a big salad, and I ate it, but.... I like pizza. I’m really having problems.

Here's what I have on pizza night - I sauté some diced onion, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, turkey pepperoni and Italian spices, garlic, etc.  Mix in 1/2c shredded fat free mozzarella cheese and spread on an oven-toasted Ole high fiber whole wheat tortilla/wrap.  It's tasty and under 300 calories.  I don't know what that is in WW points, but it works for my diet.

My other strategy is to fast the rest of the day and eat the celebration meal.  I haven't done that often but it works in a pinch.  For birthdays, I skip the cake and have sugar free ice cream (Halo Top vanilla or the kind at Aldi).

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Ack!  I've become a senile old homeschool Mom who confuses all the grammar curricula she hasn't looked at in a year or two.  😂  Glad to help, lol. 

This reminds me that I will need to come up with something for ds14's English 10 next year if they continue to only offer the 2 literature  classes at the tutorial.  Maybe I should just have him go through all of the Fix-It books.

• Like 2

It's after midnight! I was up chatting with girlfriend who is now officially in labor. She's owie. And excited. And whiney. I told her to call if she has even the slightest inkling of a need to chat. She said she knows and she loves me and said thank you. I hope she doesn't call. :ph34r:

• Like 6

Morning.  It's Monday.  I'm tired.  Sleeping in a little on weekends seems to help.  Sleeping in a lot on weekends doesn't.  I need to get up the first time I wake on weekends, not stay in bed longer.  That' gets me about 30-60 minutes more than my weekday wakeup time.   This time of year is harder since it's dark in the morning.

Septic is draining this morning.  Maybe I just overloaded it doing laundry and dishes and taking a long shower.  

I need to come up with some more activities for my junior classes.  I have a ton of great ideas that are all hands-on and that the kids love.  And are super messy.  I need some hands-on, kids love, less messy/dry activities.   Especially for the class at 8am on Monday mornings.  

• Like 4

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

While I was on the glider, dh's alarm went off for over 5 minutes before he woke up.  I threw a small book at him but that didn't help.  He's been feeling "off" since Saturday when he had a severe allergic reaction to something and his was barely able to swallow a couple Benedryl.  I wasn't home, but ds24 was keeping an eye on him.  Dh is off work today.  The rest of us have regular lessons this morning, and children's choir and scouts tonight.

Yesterday 85yo FIL fell and broke his shoulder in 2 places and bruised his head a bit.  They kept him in the hospital over night so the neurologist can check him.  He and MIL could use some prayer - they not in good health and have very few local resources to help them through situations like this.

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Morning. Sorry to hear about your FIL, Susan. Ouch! Watched a guy fall at the play yesterday, and man, that's not a good thing, even with lots of people around to help. 

I'm getting tea, supervising school, and then going to start revising again today. I took yesterday off, I was so stressed and unhappy about some proposed changes. But...I'm feeling a little better today, and trying to distance myself from the personal aspect and looking at the aesthetic aspect. I feel I can still be firm, but offer some flexibility, which for me is a good place to work from. 

• Like 5