Menu

Ignore this thread!

46 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I’ve never made preserves.  

I like to dehydrate fruit for snacks.  But I haven’t done it in years.

My dh really wants me to try to do that. A dehydrator isn't in our future, and I just haven't tried it the old-fashioned way...

• Like 3

I am up early on a weekend because an old cat really wanted to find out what I was doing in "his" bed at four in the morning. I gave up trying to sleep thru the yowling at five. To be fair, he has a bad hip, and he really likes my bed to sleep on all day, but when he's in the bedroom at night, he doesn't sleep in the bed anyway. He sleeps in his basket in his room. 

I have to get up in ten minutes now and go to work in thirty. And my back is trying to go out on me. Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy. I've had exactly one "normal" sleep this week, and it's very wearing on my temper. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Junie got the early Saturday morning booya!!

Hi, I'm back!   Camp is done (for now, I may have others).  It went very very well but I am very very tired.   I'm up early today to go help set up for the 4-H Fair. That's the busy chaos for this week.

So, I think I posted here before about how I was waking up all wheezy from my asthma and we don't have AC in our bedroom.  I told dh to leave the big fan on when he gets up and I thought that was helping.  All last week I was up by 6:30am and I didn't have a problem all week.   Today I didn't get out of bed until about 8am and I got up wheezing again.  Anyone know enough about asthma to know if there could be a relation between the time I get up and wheezing?  I have allergy-inducted asthma but almost never have a problem.  I'm having trouble with it more often this summer for some reason.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Well, we have a change in plans today. We’re driving to San Francisco to pick up DH from the airport. 😱 I got a text from him yesterday at 1:00am Korean time that he was still at the plant, they couldn’t get the machine to work. He texts me at 2:00am their time that he was at the hotel, going to try to get a little sleep. Then he called me to say he got 3 hours of sleep and was on the train to Seoul to catch the flight home. He was going to rent a car and drive it the 3.5 hours from San Francisco to home, but I told him “no way, no how!!!” I don’t need a dead husband. His flight arrives at 11:00am our time, so i’m Packing up the kids and we’re going on a road trip. I am not looking forward to this drive, I hate freeway driving, but it’s a Saturday morning, so it shouldn’t be that bad. And I’ll hit the 101 and go up through San Jose instead of through Oakland and do the bridge crossing, so it should be all right. Once I get on the 101 I can stay on it all the way to SFO.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Well, we have a change in plans today. We’re driving to San Francisco to pick up DH from the airport. 😱 I got a text from him yesterday at 1:00am Korean time that he was still at the plant, they couldn’t get the machine to work. He texts me at 2:00am their time that he was at the hotel, going to try to get a little sleep. Then he called me to say he got 3 hours of sleep and was on the train to Seoul to catch the flight home. He was going to rent a car and drive it the 3.5 hours from San Francisco to home, but I told him “no way, no how!!!” I don’t need a dead husband. His flight arrives at 11:00am our time, so i’m Packing up the kids and we’re going on a road trip. I am not looking forward to this drive, I hate freeway driving, but it’s a Saturday morning, so it shouldn’t be that bad. And I’ll hit the 101 and go up through San Jose instead of through Oakland and do the bridge crossing, so it should be all right. Once I get on the 101 I can stay on it all the way to SFO.

You have 7 hours of driving to do today?  :svengo:

Can your dh get a hotel room and rent a car tomorrow?

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Junie said:

You have 7 hours of driving to do today?  :svengo:

Can your dh get a hotel room and rent a car tomorrow?

I think he might be more agreeable to that if his flight came in this evening, but I know he wants to get home and get at least a full day of rest in before going in to work on Monday. I don’t mind the 7 hours of driving. We often go to the coast for the day, and i’ve Done day trips to San Francisco many times.

• Like 5

Last night I swept the entire first floor of the house.

This morning I cleaned two bathrooms and took out the trash.  There's still a lot of stuff that needs to be taken care of, but it's getting there.

Taking care of a house is hard when you don't have any energy or will-power.  At least I've been (mostly) able to walk this week.  Cleaning a house when you can't put weight on your left foot makes life... interesting.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Junie said:

BTW, Slashie, how are your feet doing?

Much much better! I think you were right about PF, but I also upped my vitamins because Angie told me to so I can't be sure. I'm going to pretend it was PF though so I'm more careful when it comes to bigger events and such.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon!

I went for a walk with dh this morning.  It was only 77 degrees, but 93% humidity so it felt blech.  Especially first thing in the morning.  My only really sucessful errand this morning was the library.  Afsa was not great because apparently our eye insurance changed their policy with Walmart and so we couldn't order glasses for me, dd16, or dd12.  Which was annoying because we spent all that time picking out frames and now we may have to go through the whole ordeal somewhere else.  And then it took 15 literal years to find duct tape.  Can you tell how I've aged since yesterday?

So then we stopped at PetCo to buy crickets for Tiger the Bullfrog and a ladder for the budgies.  And at the counter, the lady didn't know how to apply our rewards dollars to the order so I said it was ok and we'd figure it out another time.  But we got home and I checked the bank record and we were charged at least $5 more than we should have been.  So dh spent a stupid amount of time online chatting with PetCo.com and then with the store manager who couldn't access the records.  But it looks like the lady added the $5 rewards to our bill instead of taking $5 off.  So we have to call again tomorrow.

There were three super adorable kittens at the store which I would have brought home without hesitation if it didn't mean dh and dd20 would have to move out of the house.

More coffee!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, maize said:

Remember my back injury from a couple of weeks ago? I'm pretty sure it is a slipped disc.

It was getting better but got worse again yesterday.

Ouch! I gave one of my characters a slipped disc, and I've been feeling I've been putting too much pain and inability to do things in the story, but then I got to thinking, that might be just about accurate.

• Like 2

I woke up at four because one of our aged felines decided that if he wasn't sleeping, I shouldn't be sleeping either. I was out of his joint supplement for his arthritis, and it's made him restless. So I got up at five, and my back muscles decided that would be the perfect time to spasm on me (not a slipped disc, just mad muscles). But I took medicine and it feels better now after moving around. I'm hoping that will do, and I don't need to try to take a nap this afternoon.

Now--I have two chapters to revise, a grocery list to make, dinner to figure out, and a picnic/day trip to the river to prepare for so we can leave early in the morning. And I haven't had anything to eat all day. 

Something is going to have to fall off that list. And it's not going to be lunch.

• Like 2

I bought salad stuff and avocados to have a nice big salad for dinner.  Then I ate boxed macaroni and cheese with ds.  Dh usually cooks dinner and he's not home.  

I think I'm getting sick again.  Or my asthma is acting up to an extent it never has before.  I cough every time I take a deep breathe and my throat has that clogged feeling that makes you want to keep clearing it.  Ugh.  

• Sad 2

My stuff got derailed by ds's car needs.  He's been putting in hours and hours of work on this car only to find that the exhaust system wasn't going to fit on it afterall (insert some complicated reason why that I don't understand).  So his normally very noisy old car was even noisier without a muffler.  Dh and I are going to pay to have mechanics fix this and ds will reimburse us as he is able.  His money is going to replace the completely bald dangerous tires that he was driving on.  So - we limped his car to the mechanics.  Left it there.  Drove on to the tire place, ordered special tires and left the wheels there so that they can put them on when they come in.  Drove to the Asian grocery storewhere ds got food and then drove home. 

•  
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Poor Juliet's right ear is all inflamed and owie.  I have a vet appointment for her on Monday.  But I don't know how the vet is going to get close enough to her to examine her if she's growling and barking at him.  I will bring lots and lots of mini treats with me. 

If she's that bad about it, ask him about sedation that you can give her before she comes next time, and expect that she might need a sedation while there. Ears that really hurt sure make an anxious dog more anxious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Church!!! The Awana Committee, which I am a part of, is supposed to make a plea for volunteers in both services today. Yay! Nothing else going on today. Everyone is home, nobody going to camp or to Korea or anything else this week,

Boo for owie doggie ears, Jeannie, I agree with Critter, a sedative might be in order. Poor thing.

Critter, stay away from hurricanes. Is that Barry you are talking about?  

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Critter, stay away from hurricanes. Is that Barry you are talking about?  

I just looked it up, I guess that is Barry bearing down on you. Well. You know the rules.... treacherous roads, unnecessary chances, all that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I took Son 4 with me to The Homeschool Store for like 3 hours. He gave his opinions on books which was very helpful. We then stuffed ourselves silly at Sweet Tomatoes. He is my only salad eating kid.

DH took the other kids to the new library. Apparently, it has a kick butt play area, too. Apparently, we had to pay for new cards even though it has been over 10 yrs since we have lived in this county!

Anyone else use ITT kinda like a daily journal? 

Yep. Helps get out the things spinning around and around in my brain.

So I spent about 3 hours at the fairgrounds this morning and noticed the clogged throat and coughing weren't nearly as bad while I was outside in the extremely hot, sticky, humid weather.  Could it be caused by the air conditioning?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Happy Sunday, ITT!

In this week's episode of Survivor: Church This Whitehawk, oddball church was excellent today and pulled farther ahead of the others. I eliminated the conveniently located church in the denomination I was baptized into: I could be satisfied to go there if it were the best option around for me, and it's interesting, but it's not necessarily compelling.

Now there are questions: Are both my current congregation and the distant one in this denomination really still contenders, and should I in fact visit the distant one next Sunday as I'd planned? What would it take for me to make a commitment to oddball church? And can any of these places really be a fit for DS as well?

Curious:  what makes the oddball church so oddball?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

So I spent about 3 hours at the fairgrounds this morning and noticed the clogged throat and coughing weren't nearly as bad while I was outside in the extremely hot, sticky, humid weather.  Could it be caused by the air conditioning?

Is there mold in the a/c that is triggering your asthma?

https://www.hvac.com/blog/how-to-remove-mold-from-your-window-air-conditioner-safely/

• Like 1

Susan, boo for changing eye insurance policies.  I've had the same experience looking for duct tape in the AFSA.  It is never where I think it will be.  And when I finally find it and try to make a mental note about where they keep it, I have forgotten by the time I want more again.  🙄

Hugs to all who need it - Juliet and Where's Toto and Maize and everyone else!

I'll be in and out a lot this week.  Lots of swim the next 7 days.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Could you have mold in your air ducts, maybe?

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Is there mold in the a/c that is triggering your asthma?

https://www.hvac.com/blog/how-to-remove-mold-from-your-window-air-conditioner-safely/

It's happened at home, at the science center and in the car.   Home and science center have central air.  I guess mold is possible with all the rain we've been having but the problem only started about 2 days ago and it hasn't rained that much in that time period.   Can you get mold in a car AC system?

3 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

It's happened at home, at the science center and in the car.   Home and science center have central air.  I guess mold is possible with all the rain we've been having but the problem only started about 2 days ago and it hasn't rained that much in that time period.   Can you get mold in a car AC system?

yes, you can get mold in any of those, including the car.

Good Late Afternoon!

Dd12 and I played for early and late services this morning.  Came home.  Left for Children's Choir parent meeting.  Came home.  It's been a long day and now I have to change clothes before going to a friend's house for a cookout and swimming.  

I think finding duct tape at AFSA is similar to trying to find Cheez Whiz in the grocery store before Thanksgiving.  Where is it this year?  By the ice cream?  With the canned soup?  No one ever knows.

I have things that need to be done but have not had enough 

Coffee!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Curious:  what makes the oddball church so oddball?

It's a denomination I wouldn't otherwise look at (and I think I drive past a couple others to get there); it's farther than my current church and in a part of town I have no other reason to go to; I don't think I know anybody who goes there; in theory we have a significant theological disagreement... On the surface, there's very little reason I would feel drawn to it.

But I really do. Every week at the end of the service, there's an invitation to come forward and join, and each time, I want to. (It's not prudent to do so yet--I have to get to know it better.)

• Like 3